Author Topic: Picked up a PS3 finally  (Read 2689 times)

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Picked up a PS3 finally
« on: Thursday, October 02, 2008, 11:27:29 AM »
I've been saying it and planning it for months, but I finally bit the bullet yesterday and picked up the PS3.  Resistance came with it, and I bought MGS4 as well (surprise surprise).

Overall, with the 2 hours I've played around with it, I think it's definitely pretty cool.  I was gonna pick up Iron Man on blu ray as well but decided to rent it instead this weekend.

I'm a little disappointed that it came with NO HD CABLES at all.  Had to buy HDMI cables ($50) and a digital fiber optic cable ($25).  Plus, since my receiver only has one optical in (currently used by my XBox), I just bought a splitter/adapter so I can use both the PS3 and Xbox on a single optical input.  Thankfully that only cost $10.

This is the first PlayStation I have ever purchased and played (excluding the PSP), so the DualShock controller definitely feels very strange.  The PS3 80GB comes with the DualShock 3 now, so it's got force feedback, but the controller doesn't seem to fit into my hands as nicely as the Xbox controller does.  I'm sure I'll get used to it shortly though.  It probably doesn't help that I'm trying to get used to it playing MGS4 as well, since MGS4 has fairly complicated controls.  I have yet to use the SIXAXIS functionality.

I think it's kind of a scam with what Sony did though.  The PS3 80GB is $399 with SD cables.  Why the fuck would you push blu-ray, HD sound, and all the next gen tech, but include a standard composite video and stereo cables.  That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.  I mean the Xbox360 Pro came with component cables so you could at least immediately get HD going.

The good news?  The PS3 has built in wireless, so I was able to connect to my home network without issues, unlike with the Xbox where I had to buy the wireless receiver in order to get online.

I'll be able to finally experience 1080p in movies with the PS3.  While I have the HD-DVD addon for the Xbox, I bought my Xbox about two years ago when it came with component cables.  And HD video is regulated to a maximum of 1080i if it isn't through the HDMI standard.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Picked up a PS3 finally
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, October 02, 2008, 11:40:11 AM »
HDMI cables cost $5 but are sold for $50 in North America. I don't get how Canadian/Americans put up with some of the biggest scams in the world.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, October 02, 2008, 11:53:41 AM »
Don't ever buy specialty cables locally.  You can get them for a small fraction of the brick-and-mortar price online.  HDMI and any other digital cables are especially big ripoffs.  With analog signals, you can argue that precious metals will help the integrity of the signal.  With digital, either it works or it doesn't.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, October 02, 2008, 12:47:02 PM »
HDMI cables cost $5 but are sold for $50 in North America. I don't get how Canadian/Americans put up with some of the biggest scams in the world.
In the UAE it's kind of a mixed bag. If you go to any of the major stores (Virgin, Carrefour, Plug-ins, Radioshack, etc.) you get ripped off BIG TIME. If you take a trip to the local market you find some more reasonable prices as well as some incredible bargains.

Congrats iPPi! Add me on, my user name is Zietoun. Que add me on too!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, October 02, 2008, 01:17:49 PM »
http://www.techfocus.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=HDMI&sid=d01031daedbbc74c306448dbf33d7043&x=0&y=0

People in the UK can get the HDMI cables for about 6 pounds from that website. Most of these companies have these cables made in Asia for about $5, and then sell them in stores for $50.

My first trip to radioshack was a real eye opener.

Some of you might find this interesting:

http://consumerist.com/353938/monster-cables-monster-ripoff-80-markups

Ever wonder why gadget store employees push Monster cables like they're crack? Bitchin' markups, just like you suspected (or knew) all along. That's what we found when a Radio Shack employee sent us his store's entire inventory list, which included the wholesale and retail price of every item in stock.

UPDATE: Monster Responds To "Monster Cables, Monster Ripoff" Story

Some cables, like the 19ft HDMI-DVI cable, have markups as high as 80%. Retail: $179.99. Wholesale, $99.40, a profit of $80.54. Or consider the 16 ft S-Video cable, which Radio Shack buys for $61.24 and sells for $114.99. We found non-name brand versions of both on Meritline.com for under $20. It's not just limited to Radio Shack, Best Buy charges the same retail price, and, presumably, gets them for a similar wholesale price.

Here's the thing: digital cables, by definition, have no signal loss. A cable is either digital or it's not. As long as its built to HDMI standards, the only difference between a "fancy" digital cable and a no-name one is the price.

The worst part isn't really the markup. Stereo equipment routinely has markups of 80 to 100 to 200% by the time it hits the shelves. It's the initial inflated price, and how gadget stores try to push the cables so hard, telling people that Monster cables offer superior picture and sound then what you would get with another cable. But that simply isn't the case. Our sister site Gizmodo ran a battery of tests and found Monster cables are for the most part, completely unnecessary. (see The Truth About Monster Cable - Grand Finale (Part III), HDMI Cable Battlemodo Resumes, The Truth About Monster Cable, Part 2 (Verdict: Cheap Cables Keep Up...Usually), and The Truth About Monster Cable).

Our recommendation? Buy generic digital cables on Monoprice.com, Meritline.com, eBay, or other places online. If you're the type who wants Gucci-brand cables, then god bless, and at least buy them on eBay. Our tv looks fine without Monsters.

Also, congrats on the PS3 ippi! I always wanted one for the Blu-ray.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, October 02, 2008, 02:05:09 PM »
I found an online store in the US called monoprice.com.  The prices there are very reasonable and extremely compelling.  I picked up a fiber optic cable and the adapter/splitter there.  $6.50 + $2 for shipping.  Totaled $10, and they've already shipped it (ordered this morning).  I haven't received it yet so I can't tell you the quality of their products, but from user reviews, and from a little looking around on the internet, it seems to be a very reputable place to shop for cheap, but high quality and reliable cables. 

I'm almost tempted to return my HDMI and fiber optic cables I purchased at Future Shop ($75 worth) and get some from that store, but it would be kind of a hassle now that I have everything set up and stuff.

Edit: didn't notice your quote there pug.  That quote mentions monoprice as well.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, October 02, 2008, 02:32:39 PM »
I'll vouch for monoprice.  I've used them multiple times.  Fast shipping, never a problem.

And as much as I'd like to ream big box stores for their incredible markup on stuff, as long as the consumer buys it they really have no impetus to cease the markup.  If the customer doesn't do their research it's completely their fault.  They're stupid for dropping hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars on equipment and not doing their research.  It's like my mom.  She got ripped a new one at one of those quick lube places (to the tune of over 100 bucks!).  They were able to upsell her from just a regular oil change to changing her wiper blades, air filter, and like some stupid eleventy billion point inspection.  Bottom line is that to them my mother is a mark.  She paid the price too.  She won't do it again though, because now she knows better.

I agree that the markup is ridiculous...However, I've seen people whip up an 80 dollar HDMI cable at Best Buy and buy it with a smile on their face, so as long as that happens nothing will change.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, October 02, 2008, 03:35:03 PM »
I found an online store in the US called monoprice.com.  The prices there are very reasonable and extremely compelling.  I picked up a fiber optic cable and the adapter/splitter there.  $6.50 + $2 for shipping.  Totaled $10, and they've already shipped it (ordered this morning).  I haven't received it yet so I can't tell you the quality of their products, but from user reviews, and from a little looking around on the internet, it seems to be a very reputable place to shop for cheap, but high quality and reliable cables. 
Like Cobra said, with a digital signal quality doesn't matter.  I wouldn't be surprised if a metal coat hanger worked as well as Monster Cable's highest end digital cable.

As for why it's not packaged, I imagine that's some sort of agreement with retailers.  Retailers don't make much money off of games, consoles, and many of their big ticket items (except maybe Sony, Toshiba, and Hitachi stuff).  Instead they lure people in with that stuff and then sell them a bunch of accessories that are (seriously) marked up 1000%.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, October 02, 2008, 04:32:03 PM »
Like Cobra said, with a digital signal quality doesn't matter.  I wouldn't be surprised if a metal coat hanger worked as well as Monster Cable's highest end digital cable.
You're right.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, October 02, 2008, 05:24:46 PM »
I'll add you next time I get online, Xessive.  I haven't turned the PS3 on in a bit because I haven't been able to play games at all lately, and Julia's been using the 360 for Viva Pinata 2.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, October 02, 2008, 09:40:25 PM »
I'll add you next time I get online, Xessive.  I haven't turned the PS3 on in a bit because I haven't been able to play games at all lately, and Julia's been using the 360 for Viva Pinata 2.
Cool, I await patiently.

I'm just glad I got my PS3 online! I updated the software, browsed through the Store, got WipEout HD.. This console-online world is new to me, but the PS3 is close enough to a PC that I don't feel unfamiliar.

Btw, I tried setting up the Folding@Home and apaprently it doesn't work in my region, however it updated and turned in Life on Playstation, which is basically a glorified news board. Pretty handy with weather reports and stuff but it's so generalized that it doesn't include a lot of major cities (even capitals); it makes a decent and useful screensaver though.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Monday, October 20, 2008, 09:17:18 AM »
Finally added you after a billion years of forgetting, Xessive.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #12 on: Monday, October 20, 2008, 11:46:03 AM »
Finally added you after a billion years of forgetting, Xessive.
Haha no worries, I shall accept you as soon as I log on.

EDIT:
Haha your avatar makes think of "Vampire Piggy Slayer" :P (Invader Zim)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Monday, October 20, 2008, 10:05:01 PM »
haha, why do you think I chose it?