Author Topic: Square Enix purchases Eidos - Update: Independent companies (see X's Reply #10)  (Read 1993 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
SCI renames itself to Eidos.

Also, it looks like EA and UbiSoft are both possibly trying to outdo each other here, as they both want to buy Eidos.

SCi renamed Eidos as buyout rumors swirl
    * By Tor Thorsen, GameSpot
    * Posted Dec 2, 2008 1:57 pm PT

British publisher assumes subsidiary's moniker as demi-tabloid The Daily Mail re-stokes EA, Ubisoft takeover speculation.

As Atari touts its new lineup at today's UK event, another British publisher is also making headlines. This morning, cash-strapped SCi Entertainment announced that it was assuming the name of its subsidiary Eidos Interactive...minus the "Interactive." As of today, the company will be called simply Eidos, and its ticker symbol will change from SEG to EID on the London Stock Exchange.

Though the former SCi gave no reason for the name change, Eidos is a better-known brand, thanks to such series as Tomb Raider. In May 2005, SCi scooped up Eidos following a protracted bidding war with venture-capital firm Elevation Partners. Elevation went on to form super-developer BioWare/Pandemic and then sell it to Electronic Arts for $860 million in late 2007.

Speaking of buyouts, it appears the newly christened Eidos might be itself the subject of a takeover. On Sunday night, the British demi-tabloid The Daily Mail reported that "a source familiar with the matter" said the financially troubled publisher had received buyout overtures from Electronic Arts and Ubisoft. If that latter scenario sounds familiar, it should. In late 2007, rumors swirled that the Paris-based Tom Clancy publisher was courting then-SCi, along with Time Warner and an unnamed Chinese company.

« Last Edit: Thursday, April 30, 2009, 02:40:28 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Square Enix purchases Eidos - See reply #2 in this thread
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, March 04, 2009, 03:31:53 PM »
Wha?! That's kind of an odd one.. Although now I'm looking forward to a Square-Enix stylized Tomb Raider.

Seriously though, who saw this coming?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, March 04, 2009, 03:38:31 PM »
Wha?! That's kind of an odd one.. Although now I'm looking forward to a Square-Enix stylized Tomb Raider.

Seriously though, who saw this coming?

Not me.
I never would've guessed Square Enix.

I was guessing that eventually EA would take them.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, March 04, 2009, 03:45:09 PM »
That's like seeing the hot English chick in high school go to the prom with the Asian nerd who dressed funny and hung out at the back of the class doodling, instead of the quarterback everyone's been seeing her flirt with.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, March 04, 2009, 03:47:44 PM »
That's like seeing the hot English chick in high school go to the prom with the Asian nerd who dressed funny and hung out at the back of the class doodling, instead of the quarterback everyone's been seeing her flirt with.

Basically. LOL.

I mean, both Ubisoft and EA were it looked like the ones going to buy Eidos.
I was guessing EA would win this bidding war.

But Square Enix?
Where'd that come from?

I must say though, very interesting buy-out...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, March 04, 2009, 10:55:22 PM »
And why the hell would anyone want to buy Eidos?  They haven't done anything worthwhile in years.  Do they even own anything worth trying to get that isn't Tomb Raider anymore?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, March 05, 2009, 12:27:02 AM »
Kain motherfucker...Kain.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, March 05, 2009, 12:48:26 AM »
Yeah, but that franchise had the life sucked out of it quite a while ago, and the big fans of the series are all old and irrelevant like you and I.  I seriously doubt it's got big market pull now even if they come out with a new one that's really great.

But damn you for mentioning that.  Every time someone says Kain I get the urge to go play all the old ones again, and I just don't have the time.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 03:21:17 PM »
The buyout has been Greenlighted.

Square takeover of Eidos given green light

One of the last UK publishing houses will come under foreign ownership next month as shareholders in Eidos voted with an overwhelming majority to accept the bid by Square Enix.

The Final Fantasy publisher, which offered 32 pence per share in February under the SQEX holding company, will gain control of Eidos and its constituent parts after the publisher's shares are delisted, which is estimated to happen in late April.

At a court meeting over 85 per cent of the shares held in the company were represented in votes cast to accept the bid, and at the subsequent EGM the motion required to implement the acquisition was also approved.

Among the properties that Square Enix will take control of are the Tomb Raider, Hitman and Championship Manager franchises, although there's no word as yet on what changes the new owners will make to the company's structure.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Square Enix purchases Eidos - Update: Buyout approved (see Reply #9)
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, April 29, 2009, 05:16:52 PM »
Square Enix Promises To Retain Eidos's Independence
Following the completion of the £84 million acquisition last week, Square Enix confirmed that Eidos will continue to operate independently as a wholly-owned subsidiary of the giant Japanese publisher.

Phil Rogers will continue in his role as CEO of Eidos, reporting directly to Yoichi Wada, President and CEO Square Enix and Eidos will continue to focus on delivering on the clear strategy to leverage the company's franchises and develop world class games. Also confirmed is that the 'Eidos' brand will continue to be the brand identity for the business.

"This is an exciting beginning to what I believe will be an incredible journey," said Yoichi Wada, President and CEO, Square Enix. "I am very happy that Phil Rogers has agreed to lead Eidos in what I see as an international marriage between our two companies, a marriage that will give birth to great things. Eidos is a content rich company and a culturally significant business to the Square Enix group."

Phil Rogers, CEO, Eidos, said:

"This is a watershed moment for Eidos. We have the backing of an incredible company which believes in our strategy and our people.

In the Square Enix group, we have a parent company, which I have held in high respect for many years, with their meticulous level of perfection and unyielding directive to never compromise on quality.

We have an incredible opportunity to truly deliver on our creative vision, this is a new chapter for Eidos."