Author Topic: Learning to play guitar  (Read 2413 times)

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
Learning to play guitar
« on: Monday, January 12, 2009, 05:58:06 PM »
I just started to teach myself how to play guitar and I was wondering if anyone here knows how to play and has any tips. So far it's going slowly but that's to be expected, I guess. I've just started learning some chords and stuff, and I guess I'll try and pick up a song or two.

So, any advice?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Learning to play guitar
« Reply #1 on: Monday, January 12, 2009, 06:25:18 PM »
I was wondering if anyone here knows how to play

I'm suddenly feeling like it was stupid to post those dozens of songs I wrote and recorded.

*cough* But uh... my tips. Let's see.

Firstly, don't get discouraged.  Guitar is actually one of the easiest instruments to learn because of the simple fact that even if all you know is a few chords, you can still get something out of it that doesn't sound like total garbage after a little practice.  Piano?  Takes much longer to actually learn how to make it sound pleasant.  When you're playing basic stuff you sound like it.  Guitar is more forgiving.  So just get past the initial hurdles and you'll find that you sound good enough before long.

Other than that... if there are songs you like with guitar as a primary instrument, or that have substantial guitar parts, try to learn them.  I've never done a whole lot of that because even as a beginner I was much more interested in writing my own material, but back in the early days it was quite helpful learning the ropes on simple songs that I knew and understood on some level already.

But mostly just keep doing it.  Anything you need to learn is simply a time investment, and the more time you spend, the better you'll be.  Play for a half hour a day at least and it won't take you long to start figuring things out naturally, even without anyone telling you what to do.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #2 on: Monday, January 12, 2009, 06:40:58 PM »
Well I phrased that badly. I was trying to imply that I only wanted advice from people who know how to play, although I guess anyone can chime in. I already knew you and a few other people here can play.

But yeah, thanks for the advice. I guess it basically comes down to practicing a lot. It's pretty discouraging at the moment, though, because I want to play good *now*. This whole learning how to play is a real bitch. I need to serenade the ladies now.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #3 on: Monday, January 12, 2009, 07:06:27 PM »
LOL you're going to be "Guitar guy at the party."

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #4 on: Monday, January 12, 2009, 07:12:23 PM »
Oh, God - I've lived with that guy before. Then there was the guy who always showed up (on of my old roommates friends) who played John Mayer songs exclusively. I'm not violent but I had to resist the urge to punch him in the face every time I saw him.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #5 on: Monday, January 12, 2009, 07:25:05 PM »
Yeah, you have to be cool guitar guy, not douchey guitar guy.  No one likes douchey guitar guy.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, January 13, 2009, 04:08:52 AM »
I grew up around guitars and pianos, musical family. I play guitar occasionally these days.

Btw, what kind of guitar is it?

My advice on picking up guitar would be repetition. Learn 3 or 4 chords and focus on playing them consecutively. The main things you're focusing on here are:
1) getting your findertip callouses, tougher fingers mean you can play longer (applies in alternative scenarios as well).
2) pressing the chords nice and firm.
3) picking up speed and rythm while switching chords.

The hardest chords for me to learn were F and B-minor, since they both involved holding two strings with one finger.

Hope this helps! Keep us posted on your progress!

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, January 14, 2009, 01:52:54 AM »
Well I phrased that badly. I was trying to imply that I only wanted advice from people who know how to play, although I guess anyone can chime in. I already knew you and a few other people here can play.

Did I read that right or did you just burn Que really fucking bad there...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, January 14, 2009, 03:04:08 AM »
Ghandi you and your exploded asshole do not want to start a war on two fronts.

I think everyone is just taking advantage of the new nice version of Que here.

Hey Que! You love iphones, and apple is your favorite company! Also, heavy metal is terrible music!

*runs*

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, January 14, 2009, 06:44:04 AM »
Oh Steve Jobs, play me more of that sweet, sweet music on your electric fiddle!

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, January 14, 2009, 10:34:49 AM »
Pug, it's clear that we are going to have to settle this dispute the old-fashioned way. You know the drill. Pick your instrument, upload your song and post it here. I'm about to go record mine in a few minutes after I finish writing it. So far I have something about you and goats.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, January 14, 2009, 10:46:24 AM »
So I have a weakness for goats. So what?