Author Topic: Anyone use Netflix?  (Read 2564 times)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Anyone use Netflix?
« on: Friday, January 16, 2009, 08:36:38 PM »
I'm thinking about signing up for Netflix. I know I could just "obtain" shows and movies via downloads, but you can't always find what you want. The problem is that I would use the Netflix download to PC/360, and that means a limited amount of stuff to select from. But I'm mostly wondering about TV shows. Does Netflix have TV shows up for download anywhere near to when they broadcast? Could I use it to watch Fringe, Lost, Heroes, and Criminal Minds? Or do they wait until they can put up the whole season as one download?

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: Anyone use Netflix?
« Reply #1 on: Friday, January 16, 2009, 09:13:40 PM »
I've had Netflix for a few months now and they do have TV shows, both old and new.  They actually have a new episode of Heroes Season 3 up once a week, I don't know if that's the newest season or not though since I don't watch it.  It looks like they have other new TV shows too, but I don't see any of the ones you mentioned besides Heroes.  They have previous seasons of all the shows you mentioned for DVD rental but no instant streaming.  I really enjoy Netflix though, especially for the TV series since those can be expensive to buy and for hard to find movies.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Friday, January 16, 2009, 09:28:41 PM »
I like how the only reason not to steal is because the selection is inferior.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Friday, January 16, 2009, 09:29:44 PM »
Well basically I use a Tivo right now, but since it's not mine it's starting to have conflicts between shows that air at the same time. (woohoo, I miss out on Criminal Minds or Fringe because fucking American Idol is gonna be on and the Tivo can only record 2 things at once.) I've been thinking about Netflix for the limited movie streaming, since I could at least "rent" some older movies and maybe some new ones on occasion, and the T show thing would be nice.

Criminal Minds has 1 new show of this season so far (no idea which season #)
Fringe, Lost, and Heroes all start airing again next week I think (seasons 2, 5?, and 4, respectively (I think)), so new episodes of those won't be there yet.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Friday, January 16, 2009, 09:31:53 PM »
Netflix does seem to be pretty good about stocking shows.  I don't really use it because I don't have time to watch TV, but Julia gets stuff pretty frequently.  Their selection isn't perfect, but it's better than just about anywhere else.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: Friday, January 16, 2009, 09:33:06 PM »
I like how the only reason not to steal is because the selection is inferior.

Actually it's more that I'm lazy and don't want to go look for stuff. I could just as easily go watch most of these shows on their network's websites, though the quality it sometimes dodgy and my browser (Opera) is usually not supported. I started Fringe halfway through the first season, and caught up on missed shows on the official website. Same with Lost. Heroes is also available on the official website for free.

EDIT: Though I don't claim to be innocent. I steal music too.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Friday, January 16, 2009, 09:35:50 PM »
None of us are innocent.  Some of us are just better at lying about it.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: Friday, January 16, 2009, 09:42:30 PM »
I don't think Netflix supports Opera either. Just IE and Firefox for now.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #8 on: Friday, January 16, 2009, 09:44:05 PM »
Netflix is awesome.  I highly recommend it.  It's fairly cheap and you almost always have something at least relatively interesting to watch.  In our area we have a Netflix shipping center in Louisville, KY (~1.5 hrs away) and we've had stuff turn around in a day.

The online watching though isn't that great.  We have about 200 movies in our queue but only get about 15 available to watch online.  I think it's supposed to be a much greater percentage with TV shows though.

And yes, Netflix doesn't support Opera.  Firefox support is limited as well.  I mean the site works, but you have to use IE to watch the stuff online (you can sort of trick it with the IETab plugin, but why bother?).  This really chaps my ass because if it wasn't for the IE limitation, I could watch movies in bed with my Linux laptop.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #9 on: Friday, January 16, 2009, 09:46:18 PM »
I actually went on Netflix last month or so and I was disappointed by the selection. They didn't have nearly as many new releases as Blockbuster.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: Friday, January 16, 2009, 09:52:21 PM »
I'm assuming I'd get the same streaming selection on my PC and I would on my Xbox 360. Since my 360 is hooked up to the same monitor I use on my PC, it makes little difference which I use. I'd rather stream something to the 360 than find my IE shortcut, so I'd probably just do that. so really the streaming and browser support is a non issue.

Does the streaming service at least offer a decent selection of older movies? I could see using the mail service to check out new releases and stream a shitload of old stuff just cuz it's already paid for and I want to watch something again, or something I missed somehow.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: Friday, January 16, 2009, 10:54:59 PM »
I'm assuming I'd get the same streaming selection on my PC and I would on my Xbox 360. Since my 360 is hooked up to the same monitor I use on my PC, it makes little difference which I use. I'd rather stream something to the 360 than find my IE shortcut, so I'd probably just do that. so really the streaming and browser support is a non issue.

Does the streaming service at least offer a decent selection of older movies? I could see using the mail service to check out new releases and stream a shitload of old stuff just cuz it's already paid for and I want to watch something again, or something I missed somehow.

They have a good variety of old and new stuff on the streaming.  I'm on the plan where I can have up to 3 DVDs at a time, but I can rent as many as I want per month.  I also can watch as many instant streaming movies as I want and its $17.99.

And also, Scott, Netflix streaming videos work with Firefox 3 now, I use it all the time.  Unless you mean that the Silverlight plugin that Netflix uses for IE and Firefox doesn't work with Linux or something.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, January 17, 2009, 08:29:38 AM »
Hm.  Much be a recent addition.  I watched something just a few months ago and had to switch to IE to watch it.  So they use Silverlight now?  I don't even have that installed.  But I'm guessing it wouldn't work on Linux considering it's a Microsoft technology.

Edit:  Apparently I'm wrong.  Microsoft works with Novell on Moonlight, an open source implementation.

Edit:  Annnnnnd it doesn't work for Netflix yet.
« Last Edit: Saturday, January 17, 2009, 08:55:41 AM by scottws »