Author Topic: Headset solutions  (Read 1910 times)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Headset solutions
« on: Wednesday, January 21, 2009, 11:46:14 PM »
I think I mentioned wanting a headset way back when I was talking about doing some PC upgrades and buying my new monitor, and here's my update.

Plantronics Gamecom 377
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826265065
Newegg shows $49.99 but they must have been on sale when I bought them because my order history shows $36.99. So far these things are exactly what I was looking for in a headset. They're big, and feel heavy at first. They actually hurt after a little while of wearing them, but after a day or two I guess my giant melon of a head stretched them out so it no longer felt like they were crushing my skull. Now they're extremely comfortable. The microphone retracts and folds up not alongside, but sort of into the left side of the headset in a groove on the inner side, so it never gets caught on anything or in the way. The cord is thick, and very durable feeling. The thickness makes it stiff, so it's a bit less prone to tangles also. The in-line volume control also feels very durable, which is good because that's my typical problem spot for headsets. The wires intering it on either end are still very tight and secure feeling, even after 3 months of use.

The number one thing I was looking for in a headset was durability, and that's exactly what I feel like I got. Yea, they work fine and sound fine, but a lot of headsets do, until they break. I'm no audiophile, but they sound pretty good. I'm sure it's possible for them to sound better, but I'm not sure I'd notice.

Now I have a question. Does anyone know a way I could get these badboys to work with my 360 over Xbox Live? The problem is that the 360 ends up with 2 sound outputs: the one for your TV/stereo, and the one for your headset. Turtle Beach makes a headset that combines the headset chatter and the game sounds into one headset, but it seems like a waste to drop $50 (or $100+ for wireless) on a new headset when I've already got a nice one that I'm happy with. Right now, for XBL I've using the standard headset that comes with the 360. The problem is, I have to take off my PC headset and turn on the speakers so I can wear the Live headset, and then keep the game volume all the way down and the headset volume all the way up or I can't hear people online. It would be a hell of a lot easier if I could just use my PC headset, since my 360 is already integrated into my desk setup via the monitor and sound output. Maybe I just need to find the right adapter or something.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: Headset solutions
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, January 22, 2009, 12:00:39 AM »
I don't have an answer for your question, but I actually own that exact headset and its very comfortable and sounds great.  I like the velvet like material they use for the "ear muff" part.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: Headset solutions
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, January 22, 2009, 12:13:09 AM »
I've found that the best way to find an answer to a question is to ask it. What I mean is, as soon as I ask someone, or post a question online, the answer falls into my lap soon afterward. If I never ask, I'll just search for answers for hours to no avail.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Use_your_awesome_PC_Gaming_Headset_with_an_X_Box/
Insctructions for making an adapter to use any standard PC headset with the 360. (game sound still comes from the TV, and online chatter only comes from one side of the headset)

http://www.steelseries.com/int/products/accessories/xbox_360_headset_connector/information (edit: oops, had the wrong link)
This looks like it does exactly what I want. Now if I can just find somewhere that will ship to the US. edit: I guess I could order direct from SteelSeries, but I'd feel better ordering from a site I've used before. I've also never even heard of SteelSeries before, though they could be huge for all I know.

edit: actually, I didn't realize you can set your 360 to always play voices through the speakers as well as the headset, or through just the speakers. If I do that I just need a long ass Y adapter so I can plug the mic jack from my headset into the 360 controller as well as my PC.