Author Topic: Splinter Cell: Double Agent  (Read 11049 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Splinter Cell: Double Agent
« on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 02:39:35 PM »
Splinter Cell: Double Agent

PC Reviews
------------------------
9.0 from IGN

X360 Reviews
----------------
9.0 from IGN for the X360 version
8.5 from GameSpot for the X360
« Last Edit: Monday, April 16, 2012, 08:17:50 AM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Splinter Cell: Double Agent Reviews
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 02:59:48 PM »
PC version will be here in a couple of days ;D

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 03:23:46 PM »
I'll probably pick it up.  I love stealth games...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 07:08:24 PM »
I tend to hate stealth games, but this one seems interesting.  I think I won't get it just because I didn't like the other SC games that I played and hence don't know the story, but this one seems a lot better than its predecessors.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 07:29:20 PM »
I've never played any of the games, but I saw the commercial and it looked interesting.  Ah, marketing...

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 07:47:29 PM »
I tend to hate stealth games, but this one seems interesting.  I think I won't get it just because I didn't like the other SC games that I played and hence don't know the story, but this one seems a lot better than its predecessors.
Well, each game has its own plot going on. The only relevence to each other is the characters (dead and alive). For example in Pandora Tomorrow you meet Douglas Shetland, who was a SEAL with Sam Fisher, and Sam helps him out. In Chaos Theory he appears as the CEO of Displace International, a mercenary company. The stories are all decent, but the main attraction is the gameplay.

In Chaos Theory the devs made it so you can really play the game any way you like. They removed the "Alarm = mission failure" feature, and instead set it so that if you do raise an alarm the game will just get progressively more difficult i.e. guards will be more alert, wear kevlar vests, or have more thorough patrols, etc.

And here's a little something for Double Agent: :P

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 07:57:40 PM »
I have Chaos Theory for the Xbox but I can't stand playing that game on an Xbox controller.  I want to get it for the PC, but it's packaged with Starforce.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 08:09:29 PM »
I have Chaos Theory for the Xbox but I can't stand playing that game on an Xbox controller.  I want to get it for the PC, but it's packaged with Starforce.
Yeah the Starforce crap is a major deterrent. I tried CT on the Xbox, and in multiplayer I didn't mind the controls too much as a Spy, but as a Merc it was like Halo.. Gamepads were not made for FPS games. In singleplayer the one irritation was using the analogue to move quietly.. It's so easy to accidentally move the stick just far enough to start making noise when you move. On the PC it's controlled with the mouse wheel as intervals. Much easier.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 08:26:42 PM »
Yea.  I've played the original and the second on the PC, but at the time, my PC couldn't handle Chaos Theory and it had Starforce so I got the Xbox version.  Didn't like the controls and stuff.  I might end up getting the PC version soon though.

And Double Agent as well probably.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2006, 02:31:02 PM »
Added GameSpot's review on this one, at the top of this thread. 8.5 from them for the X360 version.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2006, 03:40:01 PM »
According to Gamespot the game suffers some framerate issues.. on the Xbox 360?!!

Hopefully it won't be a problem on the PC, but I'd expect a patch or two if it is. The support for SC has always been great.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2006, 05:39:05 PM »
According to Gamespot the game suffers some framerate issues.. on the Xbox 360?!!

Hopefully it won't be a problem on the PC, but I'd expect a patch or two if it is. The support for SC has always been great.

Support would be better, if my copy of Pandora Tomorrow would have MP actually WORK w/out an error saying "Cannot Read CD" blah blah blah; Damn Safedisc. Yet, the SP works.

Oh, and if Ubi decides remove StarForce drivers from Choas Theory, that would work, too. :)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2006, 07:06:56 PM »
Support would be better, if my copy of Pandora Tomorrow would have MP actually WORK w/out an error saying "Cannot Read CD" blah blah blah; Damn Safedisc. Yet, the SP works.

Oh, and if Ubi decides remove StarForce drivers from Choas Theory, that would work, too. :)

Haha dude I would totally send you the CT Versus mode (it's ~450MB), but you need a legit CD key to play online MP. Did you check Ubisoft's tech support for the problem? Either way, if you really want to play PT multiplayer try looking for a crack, although I had no idea Versus mode required the CD at all.

Offline HxCeddie

« Reply #13 on: Thursday, October 19, 2006, 12:01:27 PM »
I picked it up for 360, and so far, it's pretty kick ass. I haven't tried MP yet because I've been playing SP, but so far, it's really cool. It's not much different than the other games, but some of the levels are really cool so far. The prison level is awesome, and the Shangai level is pretty cool too because you have to rappel down a skyscraper while a helicopter is searching for you. Really cool stuff. However, the framerate really dips down sometimes, which can get annoying. Also, the whole trust dynamic isn't really anything special aside from one decision I've had to make so far. So far, I'd give the game an 8, but I'm only about 3 hours into it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, October 19, 2006, 02:09:56 PM »
Haha dude I would totally send you the CT Versus mode (it's ~450MB), but you need a legit CD key to play online MP. Did you check Ubisoft's tech support for the problem? Either way, if you really want to play PT multiplayer try looking for a crack, although I had no idea Versus mode required the CD at all.

Yes I checked their site; it's a SafeDisc issue. I'e had lots of problems w/ SafeDisc-based games from Ubi, lately.

I had trouble w/ Uru, which I got going by their newest patch that removes SafeDisc's need from the game. And, I finally got XIII going, in which I also had trouble getting that going b/c of SafeDisc -- same issue, basically. I think by installing the newest SafeDisc fix/patch from Microsoft for Win XP, that is what got XIII going; before that, it just wouldn't work.

Now, I have an issue w/ it only w/ SC: PT's MP, for some reason -- even w/ that SafeDisc patch in there.  I checked Ubi's tech support before.

It might be having Nero installed, causing the problem and all -- Nero might be "black listed". Any way to just disable Nero, just to see if that's the issue???

Is there any way to see what version of SC: PT I am running anywhere there? Many games often display it on the main menu or something.

EDIT:
I just realized the patch was listed as a "patch update" -- I only did install Patch 1.31. And now, I see that there were others before it, listed as "update patches". I wonder if I might've, since they are "patch updates," installed every patch one after another or somethin'. It doesn't say on there. I might have to uninstall and reinstall -- then do the patches, one after another.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, October 28, 2006, 11:32:19 PM »
I got a copy of Chaos Theory and am almost done the game.  Naturally, I will probably be picking up Double Agent when it becomes available for the PC.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, October 29, 2006, 04:21:15 AM »
The PC release date was supposed to be Oct 24th, then it was moved and the game went gold on the 26th. Now it's expected to be on store shelves on Nov 10th. It's a minor delay, but I was counting the minutes to its release :P

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, October 29, 2006, 06:26:21 AM »
Hey, anyone know what UbiSoft's using for Copyright protection nowadays, since they dropped StarForce?
Did they go back to SecuRom???

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, October 29, 2006, 06:28:02 AM »
The PC release date was supposed to be Oct 24th, then it was moved and the game went gold on the 26th. Now it's expected to be on store shelves on Nov 10th. It's a minor delay, but I was counting the minutes to its release :P

I bet you they pushed the other SC: DA released back to get it out first for the 360....It's already been out for the 360 for a few weeks.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, October 29, 2006, 11:02:27 AM »
I bet you they pushed the other SC: DA released back to get it out first for the 360....It's already been out for the 360 for a few weeks.

Yeah, it's been on the 360 since Oct 17th. I'm pretty sure Ubisoft have gone with SecuROM.

I have some good news as well! Ubisoft just made a Splinter Cell Trilogy! It includes Splinter Cell, Pandora Tomorrow, and Chaos Theory. I'm not 100% certain, but I think that version of CT does not have Starforce.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, October 29, 2006, 11:36:40 AM »
Yeah, it's been on the 360 since Oct 17th. I'm pretty sure Ubisoft have gone with SecuROM.

I have some good news as well! Ubisoft just made a Splinter Cell Trilogy! It includes Splinter Cell, Pandora Tomorrow, and Chaos Theory. I'm not 100% certain, but I think that version of CT does not have Starforce.

Ummm....WTF?!?!?!?

They better drop StarForce from the version I just ordered in a patch. There should be a patch made to remove SF, if they gonna pull a stunt like that!

Where can I find more out about the Splinter Cell Trilogy pack?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, October 29, 2006, 08:05:59 PM »
That would be pretty shitty of them. Although I suspect the DVD version you ordered may be the same, because SCCT rstandard edition was normally sold on CD-ROM. So it is possible this version was arranged after Ubisoft dropped Starforce.

The trilogy is also available at GoGamer! Splinter Cell Trilogy! It's $40.

Still, even if the copy odes have Starforce, for $5 holy monkey! And I know there's a SC1 & SCPT pack for approx. $20.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #24 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 02:43:51 PM »
That would be pretty shitty of them. Although I suspect the DVD version you ordered may be the same, because SCCT rstandard edition was normally sold on CD-ROM. So it is possible this version was arranged after Ubisoft dropped Starforce.
That would be great.

The last two editions I got of SC series, Splinter Cell 1 was all patched up to the newest version in the box, in a jewel case. Splinter Cell 2 was in the jewel case, though it was version 1.0. Still, very nice packaging -- since it was in the triple/quad style case.

SC, I don't even need disc in drive w/ that edition!

SC2, SecuROM protects it.

The trilogy is also available at GoGamer! Splinter Cell Trilogy! It's $40.
Sweet.

Still, even if the copy does have Starforce, for $5 holy monkey! And I know there's a SC1 & SCPT pack for approx. $20.
Thanks for showing me.

I already got SC and SC: PT separate, though. Spent not much for those, when I bought them.

SC1 -- I got at BB w/ two other games in their value section; they do Buy 2, get 1 Free there. I picked up PoP: SoT ($9.99) and Sacred ($1.99). SC, which goes for $9.99, was free b/c that game was the third game -- the free game! :)

SC2, I spent like $10 for, roughly -- after shipping and all from Ubi.com and using my $10 coupon. Also got Myst: Uru Complete ($9.99) from them.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #25 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 07:32:03 PM »
Yay, my copy of Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory shipped.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #26 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 07:56:08 PM »
I just finished Chaos Theory.  Great game.  I've been hearing a couple of mixed things with Double Agent.  I hope it's as good as its predecessors.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, November 01, 2006, 06:36:46 PM »
Just finished the original Splinter Cell. Pretty good stuff.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, November 01, 2006, 09:52:48 PM »
I think I might reinstall SC1 and play it again just to prepare myself for DA ;D

Oh man, I just realized I played it on my old system! I never played the original on the highest settings! Sweet, I'll get to enjoy it a little more :P

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, November 02, 2006, 03:24:15 PM »
I think I might reinstall SC1 and play it again just to prepare myself for DA ;D

Oh man, I just realized I played it on my old system! I never played the original on the highest settings! Sweet, I'll get to enjoy it a little more :P

I was surprised how good SC1 looks on my new rig, given how old it is.

Then, I was quite impressed w/ how good SC: PT looks, once I began that one last nite. Gorgeous looking game.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, November 02, 2006, 04:27:59 PM »
I was surprised how good SC1 looks on my new rig, given how old it is.

Then, I was quite impressed w/ how good SC: PT looks, once I began that one last nite. Gorgeous looking game.

Hehe I imagine you'll be duly impressed with SCCT when you see it in action ;D

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, November 02, 2006, 05:28:35 PM »
Chaos Theory is a really good game.  I don't think Double Agent will be able to top it.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #32 on: Friday, November 03, 2006, 04:55:44 AM »
Chaos Theory is a really good game.  I don't think Double Agent will be able to top it.
I hope it will :P Or at least equal it!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Splinter Cell: Double Agent Thread -- PC Version gets PATCHED
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, December 07, 2006, 02:33:37 PM »
SC: DA gets patched on the PC

Splinter Cell: Double Agent Patch [December 07, 2006, 4:01 pm ET] - Post a Comment
The promised patch for Splinter Cell: Double Agent is now available, bringing the stealthy third-person shooter sequel to version 1.02. The patch is available on the Splinter Cell Website, and here's a list of what's changed:

Multiplayer :
    - Disconnexion issues have been fixed at loading time and ingame
    - Invitations are shown in the main online menu and in the lobby
    - A few bugs in squad management have been fixed
    - Fixed a minor display bug while displaying Overall ranking score at the end of a game session
    - Number of particles have been diminished when the corresponding option is set to low.
    - No longer display the 'invite' command when the player you want to invite is already in your game session

Solo :
    This patch fixes the infamous “unlockables” bug.
    The gadgets the player unlocks by completing secondary objectives can be used in the next missions.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Splinter Cell: Double Agent Thread -- UPDATE: PC Version gets PATCHED
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, December 07, 2006, 05:53:52 PM »
Great! Now when I actually do get to play I'll experience less bugs ;D

Now.. I must acquire a video that can run Shader Model 3.0.. Argh.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #35 on: Friday, July 20, 2007, 02:02:55 PM »
Splinter Cell: Double Agent (UK English Import) is $9.90 at Gogamer.com.

Anybody know if there's any differences b/t the US and UK Versions of the game???

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #36 on: Saturday, July 21, 2007, 02:46:59 AM »
Splinter Cell: Double Agent (UK English Import) is $9.90 at Gogamer.com.

Anybody know if there's any differences b/t the US and UK Versions of the game???

The only major difference I've noticed is the DVD cover. I like the UK one more. The US one just looks like some generic 1980's movie cover :P Otherwise there are no differences in the game itself.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Splinter Cell: Double Agent Thread -- UPDATE: UK Import is $9.90 @ Gogamer.c
« Reply #37 on: Saturday, July 21, 2007, 06:41:41 AM »
Thanks, X
So, I placed an order.

I ain't waiting around. Beats spending $30 for it.

$10 + shipping sounds great to me. :)
Been wanting to play this one.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Splinter Cell: Double Agent Thread -- UPDATE: UK Import is $9.90 @ Gogamer.c
« Reply #38 on: Saturday, July 21, 2007, 03:52:33 PM »
Sweet deal man! Let me know how it goes, I hope you enjoy it!

Honestly I really hope SC Conviction will be much better. My favourite is still CT.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #39 on: Saturday, July 21, 2007, 06:49:09 PM »
Sweet deal man! Let me know how it goes, I hope you enjoy it!
I hope so, too. :)
Probably -- I mean, SC games have all, so far, been at the very least, been good.
Very consistent series.

Honestly I really hope SC Conviction will be much better. My favourite is still CT.
CT was the best one, easily and hands down.
No contest, even.

I hope DA holds up as another good entry into the series.