Author Topic: Midnight Club 4: LA  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Midnight Club 4: LA
« on: Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 02:55:20 PM »
I got Midnight Club: LA a while back, and am really loving it. It is a lot of fun, and provides a very contrasting experience to the soulless cookie cutter Need for Speed series. The game has a lot of personality, features some enjoyable music, has a very varied and interesting city to race in, and actually provides a surprisingly challenging experience.

The game uses the GTA4 engine, and uses it well. It looks very impressive technically, at least in terms of the vast detail it affords its city. But it looks even better in terms of art style, where everything looks very pleasing in a normal sorta way, especially when compared to the desperately "gritty" look that Need for Speed has adopted.

MC:LA does tend to slow down at times, which is hardly surprising, considering the level of detail. But since the game really does perform at the edge of what the hardware allows, it does mean that it features less of the arcade style stunting that was so brilliant in Midnight Club II. Comparatively, MCII looked like ass when it came out, but the less punishing engine allowed the developers to experiment more with the physics.

But as I said earlier, MC4 is quite challenging, which I love. It also is extremely unpredictable, which means that you may suddenly end up losing a race you had been dominating, or vice versa. It makes for extremely sweet wins, some of which will leave you screaming in delight.

What makes the whole thing so unpredictable and challenging? I am glad you asked D.

Firstly, if you've never played a MC game, the game features an open world ala GTA, where while street racing, you will have to do your own pathfinding via the mini map (It is a LOT easier than it sounds, and the game makes it easier with tons of little checkpoints), while at the same time you try to avoid oncoming traffic etc. And unlike the NFS games, environmental objects actually affect your gameplay. For example, you won't magically pass through street lights, and instead will smash into a dead stop.

Secondly, your car will get damaged, and there are consequences to poor driving, to a point where your vehicle will stop functioning if it gets too smashed up. Again, a welcome change from the NFS franchise.

Then there is the slipstream turbo: If you driving right the tail of a competitor, your tubro meter will go up to a point where you can activate a little boost... a boost that at the end of a race, can at times be good enough to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

Overall, I highly recommend this title. It is a lot of fun, and provides a welcome challenge.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Midnight Club 4: LA
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 03:13:53 PM »
The last one I played was Midnight Club 2 and that was a lot of fun. It was the unorthodox racer of the time. Kinda reminded me of Carmageddon, minus the carnage. I played it on PC, then MC3 came out but only on consoles.

Now that I've got a PS3 I am curious to see MC4:LA but I'm saving some cash for some other titles at the moment.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 03:46:28 PM »
I liked MC2 on the PC quite a bit. Graphics aside and all, the game is a lot of fun and the game runs extremely well (as it should on my kick-ass PC).

That'd be pretty sweet if MC: LA comes to the PC. :) My X360 Controller would be waiting for it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 04:08:02 PM »
Xessive, I think it would definitely be worth $30 at least.

It got really good reviews all over, though gamespot gave it 7.5... docking points because they found it too difficult. What pussies! The game is challenging, but people probably find it harder than it is because arcade racers have gone through a pussification of sorts during the past five years.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 04:30:27 PM »
Xessive, I think it would definitely be worth $30 at least.

It got really good reviews all over, though gamespot gave it 7.5... docking points because they found it too difficult. What pussies! The game is challenging, but people probably find it harder than it is because arcade racers have gone through a pussification of sorts during the past five years.

Are there multiple game difficulties in the game?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 04:57:50 PM »
I don't think so. The game isn't hard... trust me.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 06:39:25 PM »
For $30 it would be awesome! Out here it costs no less than $60 USD, and that's at the cheap shop (Pakistani shops rule :P)

Here's an example: at Virgin Megastore (and all other major retailers) Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm costs around $80 USD but it easily costs $50~55 at all the little shops. Plus you can haggle at the little shops so you could get for a little less.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 11:09:30 PM »
Oh yea, I forgot this isn't a PC game. If you can rent it, then check it out. :)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, February 18, 2009, 02:41:43 PM »
Oh yea, I forgot this isn't a PC game. If you can rent it, then check it out. :)

Tell Rockstar to port the thing -- and not be lazy about it, either.

I never got my copy of Bully PC to ever get past the damn loading screens b/c of its memory leak issues and whatnot.

And we all saw what a fiasco getting GTA4 PC going was like and still is like for many...