Author Topic: Oblivion: Knights of the Nine announced (PC/360)  (Read 14421 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Oblivion: Knights of the Nine announced (PC/360)
« on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 04:31:25 PM »
Bethesda Softworks Announces Knights of the Nine™ for Xbox 360™ and Windows

New Faction and Quests to be available for Download and at Retail on November 21

October 17, 2006 (Rockville, MD) — Bethesda Softworks® today announced plans to make its new Knights of the Nine™ content for The Elder Scrolls IV®: Oblivion™ available for the Xbox 360™ videogame and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows via download and a new retail Windows product. Knights of the Nine will be available through Xbox Live® Marketplace for Xbox 360 and www.OblivionDownloads.com on November 21st.

Knights of the Nine will also be available as a Windows boxed product at retail on the 21st. The retail version of Knights of the Nine is a compilation that will include all the other Oblivion downloadable content released to date: Horse Armor, The Orrery, Wizard’s Tower, Vile Lair, Thieves Den, Mehrunes’ Razor, and Spell Tomes. Bethesda Softworks will publish and distribute Knights of the Nine at retail directly in North America and through a co-publisher arrangement with Ubisoft in Europe.

“We’re pleased to bring this new content to Xbox 360 and to Windows gamers who have been so supportive of Oblivion,” said Vlatko Andonov, president of Bethesda Softworks. “To date, the response to our new downloadable content has been terrific – it’s easily the most popular downloadable content on Xbox Live Marketplace for Xbox 360and has been very popular for Windows as well – and we think the opportunity to enjoy an entirely new faction and quests is something our fans will be eager to try.”

Knights of the Nine features an all-new faction and quests for noble characters and answers many of the questions surrounding the Ayleid ruins found throughout Oblivion. Players can join a new faction and found their own order of holy knights – leading them into battle against a sorcerer-king and his demonic minions while exploring massive dungeons and searching for legendary relics – the holy armor and weapons of the Divine Crusader.

Released in March 2006 for the Xbox 360™ videogame and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows, Oblivion is currently the highest rated game available for the Xbox 360 according to MetaCritic.com and GameRankings.com. The game has won countless awards and accolades to-date including G4’s “Best Game of 2006” and the #1 ranking on PC Gamer’s (UK) list of the top 100 games of all time.

In addition, Bethesda Softworks announced in September that Oblivion will be coming to the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system in North America, and that a version for the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system is also in development for release next year. The PLAYSTATION®3 system title will contain the Knights of the Nine content.

For more information on Oblivion, Knights of the Nine, or Oblivion downloadable content, visit the official web site www.elderscrolls.com.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Oblivion: Knights of the Nine announced (PC/360)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 04:43:53 PM »
Well, your wishes have come true ;D

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 04:49:41 PM »
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How much will it go for; retail boxed version for the PC and all?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 04:58:04 PM »
That is a very good question. Currently if you buy all the downloadable content online, its a total of $14. KotN is supposed to be a big quest line and a whole new faction, so it might go for a little more than most.

I'd guess $20 for everything.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 05:03:43 PM »
Looks like boxed version for PC will go for around $20:
http://pc.ign.com/articles/739/739797p1.html

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 05:07:33 PM »
Idolminds is an educated guesser :P

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 05:15:19 PM »
Damn I'm good.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 07:03:25 PM »
Well, fuck.  Now I feel like a tool for having purchased the online content.  I'm guessing the online version without the extra stuff is cheaper?  It better be.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 08:16:06 PM »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 08:30:34 PM »
Now, please wish for Oblivion to have a full expansion and for EA to close down.

If those wishes come true, I'll have to make a list for you :P

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 11:18:13 PM »
You know, I reinstalled Oblivion to kind of "get ready" for this...but the magic is gone for me. My first play through I did damn near every quest except finishing the main storyline, and I really wont feel like doing it all again.

Maybe when  build my new system I'll play again so I can crank the visuals up for a change.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 11:30:52 PM »
I really enjoy even going through the same stuff.  Not sure why.  I was the same way with Morrowind, though that was a bit more because the game was more lore-centric.  Oblivion is less so.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2006, 01:59:04 PM »
Now, please wish for Oblivion to have a full expansion and for EA to close down.
I don't mind EA's games; a lot of them are quality stuff. I just hate their practices.

I just wish they'd stop milking gamers for their games that they make 7 expansion packs for (with a lack of content, in which they could've had 3 expansion packs, instead and made more gamers happy on the "banf for your buck" aspect).

I wish they'd stop w/ the BF 2142 "spyware" and in-game ads. Those got to go.

And I wish they'd stop making yearly sports games, in which they don't change much in the game features and gameplay department -- and worst of all, charge FULL price for them.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, October 28, 2006, 07:16:29 PM »
Wallpapers up for KOTN:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/newsbit?newsbit=2472

ES4: Knights of the Nine - Wallpaper @ Official Site
by Dhruin, 08:41:26

Bethsoft has kicked up a Knights of the Nine wallpaper with their latest newsletter, available in 640x480, 1024x768, 1280x768 and 1600x1200 resolutions.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, October 28, 2006, 11:13:15 PM »
I kinda wish I could blast the graphics quality in the game so that all the characters has that much detail!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, October 29, 2006, 06:31:11 AM »
I kinda wish I could blast the graphics quality in the game so that all the characters has that much detail!

Oblivion looks great -- and I definitely don't have everything jacked up all the way, either. No real need for framerate killing. I want the game to run great, most importantly -- and still look quite decent while running fine. If I have to sacrifice a few graphical bells and whistles, so be it.

Oblivion is one of the best RPG's ever made. Period.

I can't wait for Knights of the 9.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, November 04, 2006, 10:12:36 AM »
That seems like a very reasonable price point.  20 bucks for the new quest line and all the other DLC stuff.  Again, it makes me mad because I *own* the DLC stuff already and wouldn't have purchased it if I knew I could just wait for a little set like this, but then again, it's so fucking cheap that it really doesn't piss me off at all.  I haven't made a disk backup of that stuff yet, and if I buy this set, it'll save me the trouble.  So... yeah.  I want to be pissed, but I'm kind of not.  And for the 360... ten bucks for 10 to 20 hours of content doesn't seem bad at all.  Pretty sweet.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, November 04, 2006, 11:04:32 AM »
That seems like a very reasonable price point.  20 bucks for the new quest line and all the other DLC stuff.  Again, it makes me mad because I *own* the DLC stuff already and wouldn't have purchased it if I knew I could just wait for a little set like this, but then again, it's so fucking cheap that it really doesn't piss me off at all.  I haven't made a disk backup of that stuff yet, and if I buy this set, it'll save me the trouble.  So... yeah.  I want to be pissed, but I'm kind of not.  And for the 360... ten bucks for 10 to 20 hours of content doesn't seem bad at all.  Pretty sweet.
And so, the wisdom of MysterD's patience has been revealed. :P

It is an amazing deal. I like Bethesda! Just like Bioware (and a few other developers) they seem to work with the gamers and fans in mind.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, November 04, 2006, 11:36:28 AM »
I agree.  They aren't perfect, but I've always liked them, and I think it comes down to the fact that they really love what they do.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, November 04, 2006, 12:29:02 PM »
I agree.  They aren't perfect, but I've always liked them, and I think it comes down to the fact that they really love what they do.
Yeah, and I forgot to mention Blizzard! They seem dedicated to the art game-making. When you love what you do you have the opportunity to be brilliant at it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, November 05, 2006, 11:24:40 PM »
I'd add Electronic Arts to that list as well.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, November 05, 2006, 11:50:03 PM »
Har har.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #23 on: Friday, November 10, 2006, 07:57:38 AM »
Knights of the Nine pricing and distribution has been clarified by Pete Hines

Knights of the Nine Clarified [November 09, 2006, 9:59 pm ET]

Pete Hines from Bethesda Softworks sends along a clarification on how the Knights of the Nine expansion for Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion will be distributed for those who have already shelled out for the downloadable content it will include, offering an alternative way to get the new campaign. Included in this update was word that the PS3 edition of Oblivion is delayed until Q1 2007. Here's word on Knights of the Nine:

First, I wanted to clarify a couple things on Knights of the Nine. The retail version of Knights of the Nine is a collection (for PC) that includes Knights of the Nine plus all the other DLC released to date. That’s why it’s $19.99.

If you want just Knights of the Nine for PC, you can download it for $9.99 and get just that DLC without the rest of it.

Same on 360…800 points for just Knights of the Nine.

A retail version for 360 isn’t technically feasible at this time. If/when it becomes a possibility we’ll let folks know; it’s certainly something we’d like to offer. Release date for Knights of the Nine is 11/21 for the retail version as well as the 360 version on Xbox Live. It will be available to download for PC (from www.obliviondownloads.com) on 12/4.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #24 on: Friday, November 10, 2006, 09:35:46 AM »
I'll be paying the extra $10 just to get the disk and stuff.  That doesn't seem all that outrageous to me, and I'm a freaking completist so what choice do I have?  Heh.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Oblivion: Knights of the Nine announced (PC/360) - UPDATED w/ Info on story
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, November 14, 2006, 02:52:51 PM »
IGN impressions of Knights of the Nine for the PC

Oblivion: Knights of the Nine Hands-On
We tangle with Cyrodiil's latest challenge.
by Charles Onyett

US, November 13, 2006 - Since its release last March, anyone who cared about the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion has played it to death by now. Bethesda's been regularly rolling out new content to keep things fresh, however, albeit at a price. On December 4, 2006, the biggest expansion yet is scheduled for release. Named Knights of the Nine, the new quest line kicks off in the city of Anvil and sends the player all across Cyrodiil in search of artifacts and pieces of armor. We got a chance to go hands-on with a preview version for PC, and here's what we found so far.
Cool.

It seems an eldritch evil named Umaril, an Ayleid Sorcerer-King, has started causing trouble again. More specifically, he's responsible for murdering the clergy of Anvil's chapel.
That ain't right!

After speaking with a rather energetic prophet on the streets of Anvil a questline kicks off sending you to nine shrines across Cyrodiil. Along with the quest you get a map that marks all the shrines' locations. Though fast travel isn't possible, the spots are easy enough to get to even if you're just starting a new game.
Wow -- you can't even fast travel to those locations AFTER you find them???

Oblivion MAKES you find a location once -- then you can fast travel to it.

The point of all that traveling is to gain favor with the gods of the land so Pelinal Whitestrake, Divine Crusader, will help you out. His aid is required to find the Relics of the Divine Crusader which, according to the insane Anvil prophet, must be acquired in order to beat down Umaril. Once you mutter some prayers at the ninth altar, Pelinal summons you to a misty plain and explains all the specifics. He then marks your map with the location of the first relic, a helmet. Into the dungeons you go.
Cool.

We bashed our way through with a low level character, encountering a few feeble axe and bow wielding skeletons. It seems this expansion, at least from what we've played so far, functions much like the rest of Oblivion: everything auto-levels with you. Of course with a more powerful character you could likely breeze through much faster with skill ratings or customized spells that rapidly vanquish even the hardiest enemies, but it still seems viable at low levels.
Okay.

Snagging the helmet opened up the way to the next Relic, a chest piece. This one was located in a church south of the Imperial City. Instead of something like the cavernous or elven ruins we've seen so many times already in Cyrodiil, this church dungeon was different. We arrived at the church's basement to find a cadre of spirit knights waiting to test our mettle. As we descended the steps to their circular stone chamber, what we can only assume was their leader strolled up and basically told us he and his friends were going to kick our ass. It was around this point we stopped playing, but had we continued we would have had to fight about eight ghost knights in successive rounds of one-on-one combat. Our Oblivion battle skills are a little rusty at this point, so we weren't doing so hot.
Cool.

Aside from the added story and dungeon areas, Knights of the Nine so far gives you one hell of a powerful ability. Successfully visiting all nine shrines unlocks Pilgrim's Grace, which fortifies all your character statistics (agility, personality, speed, strength, etc.) by 10 for 300 seconds. The only down side is it can only be cast once per day.
Niceeeeeeeeee.

In addition to that power, it seems some new characters will be introduced as well. As we approached the final shrine, we ran into some guy on a horse who was apparently on the same quest we were. After a brief conversation, he says (rather ominously in our opinion) that he might see us again. Is he a friend? The evil doer in disguise? Some idiot who we get to see puncture himself in a spike trap later on? Someone we should have immediately stabbed in the face?
Intriguing.

As for the new armor set, weaponry, and Auroran enemy types, we'll have to keep playing. Check below for high definition videos and screens of our adventures.
I'll be looking forward to this -- and the extra DLC content coming w/ it, once it is out.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, November 21, 2006, 03:14:20 PM »
I'll be paying the extra $10 just to get the disk and stuff.  That doesn't seem all that outrageous to me, and I'm a freaking completist so what choice do I have?  Heh.

Que, wait til next week...
It looks like Circuit City next week will have Knights Of The Nine retail expansion for $9.99.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, November 21, 2006, 04:26:02 PM »
Wow, saw it on a bittorrent site and its just over 1GB in size. Pretty substantial, considering all the other addons were no more than 50MB total. I'm guessing the bulk of that is the new voice acting.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, November 21, 2006, 04:30:11 PM »
Wow, saw it on a bittorrent site and its just over 1GB in size. Pretty substantial, considering all the other addons were no more than 50MB total. I'm guessing the bulk of that is the new voice acting.
Probably.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, November 21, 2006, 06:00:29 PM »
I checked it.. That's all of them plus the patch in 5 different languages. The English alone is about 208 MB (KotN + all the DLC's +  patch v1.1).

Some guy extracted the English only and set up a torrent here.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, November 21, 2006, 06:08:34 PM »
Huh....well how about that....

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, November 21, 2006, 06:34:18 PM »
Are web-sites going to be reviewing this expansion???

BTW, a bunch of screenies can be found here:
Click here!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, November 21, 2006, 07:04:49 PM »
Man, I haven't played Oblivion in so long!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, November 21, 2006, 07:13:40 PM »
Man, I haven't played Oblivion in so long!

Maybe I should some do some Oblivion quests, in the meantime....hehe.

I can't wait to get that expansion next week! :)

$10 for it at CC sounds good to me.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2006, 10:28:02 AM »
Ok here's a little annoying thing I noticed about the Knights of the Nine disc.. Now all the DLC's are in separate installers instead of the zips. So now each and every DLC you install (including KotN) will gunk up the Add/Remove list, which also means that they infest the registry with some more useless data. The disc doesn't even have a proper installation, it auto-opens the drive folder and you have double-click all the components you want. I don't understand why they just didn't put everything into one proper installer with KotN.

As much as I support Bethesda, this is crappy.. Although one thing you can do is just install everything, copy the files to another folder, uninstall everything then copy the files right back. Tedious, but it works.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2006, 02:45:07 PM »
That is kinda' crummy.

They should have an install file that allows you to install it all at once, if you so choose to do so.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2006, 07:42:31 PM »
Man, I started playing Oblivion again and I'm enjoying it a lot more than the first time! And for some reason it's running even smoother!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2006, 08:44:11 PM »
Man, I started playing Oblivion again and I'm enjoying it a lot more than the first time! And for some reason it's running even smoother!

Yeah, it does run better w/ the latest patch.

And performs much better w/ newest vid card drivers; at least w/ my NVidia GF 6600 GT, that is...

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2006, 10:47:13 PM »
Yeah, it does run better w/ the latest patch.

And performs much better w/ newest vid card drivers; at least w/ my NVidia GF 6600 GT, that is...

Well, the patch is the same one from June. The only thing that's been updated since is my video driver. I haven't tweaked the game at all, but it's performing better! Even better than when I tweaked it back in the summer.

I just added some custom hi-res textures, some new character models (Ren's Beauty Pack), and I just built myself a sexy mystic elf chick. I was gonna go with Monk class, but this time I'm gonna make her an Agent; good with stealth, archery, and smooth talking.

Ungh I just remembered how much I hate the Oblivion gates.. They're so tedious! And there are so many treasures and items that are bound to disappear for good when I take the Sigil stone because I can't lug them out. I think this time around I'm gonna get a weight mod.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2006, 10:50:09 PM »
Fuck that shit.  If you're going to get everything out of a gate, just plan on making multiple trips.  Either haul your ass back to town and sell what you're carrying before heading back, or just leave the gate and drop everything outside.  It's not like anybody's going to come up and take it.  I don't know why, but weight mods piss me off.  The game already has weight mods -- they're called feather-enchanted shoes, rings, armor, whatever, not to mention the learnable feather spell and strength spell.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to giving this a shot.  Was playing Oblivion again for a while and then stopped when Gears of War came out.  Maybe I'll jump back into it.  Should update my vid drivers, though... been a while.

Oh and X, be careful when removing that beauty pack.  I got rid of it and it caused me some brief problems with savegames that weren't actually using it.