Author Topic: Oblivion: Knights of the Nine announced (PC/360)  (Read 14417 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Oblivion: Knights of the Nine announced (PC/360)
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2006, 11:11:17 PM »
You might not believe this, but I have never enchanted anything in Oblivion.. Primarily because I still have no idea how to enchant an item. I focused entirely on physical gameplay the first time. I normally carried a couple of Feather scrolls in case I get encumbered, but this time I think I'm gonna try to actually make good use of enchantments and actually learn a few useful spells like Feather.

The Oblivion gates are just so tedious though.. The first time when I went into the great gate it was awesome! I really loved how different and infernal that domain was. But after doing it about 4 times I was sick of the stupid Oblivion Gates popping up ever-frickin'-where! I did about 22 gates before I got utterly disgusted of them and started ignoring them.

Oh and with the character packs, you always gotta be careful. The first pack I tried was called "Beautiful People" (v2.2), and even though people generally recommend it, it doesn't work well for me. For some reason it disables all the regular hairstyles. Anyway, it added too much for my tastes and purposes so I took it off. I got "Cosmetic Compilation" (v1.22) and that keeps me happy ;D I also added "Danis13 BEAUTY FACES" which basically has enhanced face textures for all races. Smoother too.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2006, 11:36:01 PM »
Well, I don't think you're really expected to do 22 gates.  I mean, they're just another random dungeon thing to fiddle with, really, except for those provided in the story segments.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, November 23, 2006, 06:46:25 AM »
Well, I don't think you're really expected to do 22 gates.  I mean, they're just another random dungeon thing to fiddle with, really, except for those provided in the story segments.

Right, Que.

It's not required to do all of the Oblivion gates. I think, just like the Battlefields in Beyond Divinity, they are there and generally randomized as a quick means to try and LEVEL UP your character fast in combat.

There are some main quests involving some Oblivion gates, but those are the Oversized Obliv gates -- and those are actually required.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, November 23, 2006, 07:32:15 AM »
Yeah I didn't figure that out until I had closed like 18 of them or so.. Then the main attraction was daedric equipment which sells very nicely. Plus it's in my nature to neutralize any threat. Just knowing that there's something that can attack me hanging out near by is enough for me take it upon myself to eradicate it.

Anyway, for some reason the game is a lot more fun this time around, and a little easier too (I haven't touched the difficulty slider). I haven't died yet.

Oh I added one little plugin that I think makes a lot of sense; "Increased Bow Damage." It makes sense because now I don't have to frickin' pincushion a scamp before it dies! A scamp takes about 4-5 well aimed arrows now, instead 15 or more! My enemies would literally look like porcupines by the time I was done flinging arrows at them. It was ridiculous, and ranged attacks accomplished nothing but provoke the enemies and alert them to my location. Now it's a little more balanced.

EDIT:
You guys might enjoy this plugin: Dwemer Spectacles
« Last Edit: Thursday, November 23, 2006, 09:13:07 AM by Xessive »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, November 23, 2006, 11:20:15 AM »
Yeah, that's a pretty fun plugin, but I don't have much use for it.  And I don't remember ever having that much of a problem with my bow guy.  Were you using poisons?  You may as well not even consider the bow unless you're going to be poisoning your arrows.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #45 on: Thursday, November 23, 2006, 12:15:02 PM »
Yeah, that's a pretty fun plugin, but I don't have much use for it.  And I don't remember ever having that much of a problem with my bow guy.  Were you using poisons?  You may as well not even consider the bow unless you're going to be poisoning your arrows.
Yeah, the ranged damage was decent if you added a poison, otherwise it was pretty pathetic. I don't wanna have to use poisons all the time, in combat I need to get some arrow damage in on my opponent before they actually reach me (I switch to melee only when I need to). I generally only use poison when I'm trying for a one-shot kill or conducting an assassination.

I also found the Arrows Rebalanced plugin, which basically varies the types of arrows a bit and the their speeds (there's also Arrows Rebalanced Mark II, it depends on preference). I think it fine-tunes the archery in Oblivion.

I'm gonna see if I get some goggles and enchant them with Night-Eye, so I can have night vision goggles :P

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #46 on: Thursday, November 23, 2006, 12:36:12 PM »
Yeah, that's your mistake.  Since poison can be applied to an arrow on the fly (just load your inventory, game is paused while you do it), you can really do a ton of damage ranged if you're using poisons.  A good damage health will take almost anything down quick, even if you switch to melee after and don't have a super strong character.  The exception seems to be magical characters like Atronachs and such.  They seem generally resistant to poisons, which is where my first character had a lot of trouble.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #47 on: Thursday, November 23, 2006, 02:25:55 PM »
Yeah, that's your mistake.  Since poison can be applied to an arrow on the fly (just load your inventory, game is paused while you do it), you can really do a ton of damage ranged if you're using poisons.  A good damage health will take almost anything down quick, even if you switch to melee after and don't have a super strong character.  The exception seems to be magical characters like Atronachs and such.  They seem generally resistant to poisons, which is where my first character had a lot of trouble.
I don't know, I usually have some good running space to just shoot and keep moving around them, so they rarely land a hit on me. As soon as my acrobatic skill goes up I'll be able to attack while I jump, so I can do my classic overhead arrow drops  :-[ I am so grateful for the dodge moves too :D Atronachs can be a bitch.. The little Fire atronachs are easy, but the Storm and Ice dudes are tough.

You're right about the poison damage, it can be really helpful. I just wish I could poison a batch of arrows ahead of time though, not just on my next shot. It would have made more sense if each poison vial would work for like 5 arrows or something. That way I can have a set of poison arrows to equip.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #48 on: Thursday, November 23, 2006, 03:36:33 PM »
That I agree with.  It would have been nice to queue up poisoning a number of arrows at once.

And running around is great until you get stuck in a tight space where you have to fight maybe 4 or 5 Atronachs at once (i.e. if you do some of the main quest stuph after leveling a lot).  Then the usefulness or running around drops like... a lot.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #49 on: Saturday, November 25, 2006, 03:58:06 PM »
I love Oblivion ;D And with the new Natural Environments plugin it looks even sweeter!

There is one tiny thing I'm beginning to dislike though. It's not a big deal at all, it's just a little thing I noticed a while back, but I've only started really paying attention to it recently.. Why do all Elven females sound like Bea Arthur?? It didn't bother at first because I thought it was only certain older female elves (specifically Altmer and Dunmer), but then I started noticing that even the younger Bosmer, Dunmer, and Altmer women have that same voice.

The other voice thing that kinda bugs me is the sudden voice changes of the beggars.. I'll talk to an old beggar hag, and she'll sound like an old hag, but when I ask her something general (i.e. Rumour) her voice will suddenly change to a younger, livelier (kinda sexier) voice! Same thing happens with old male beggars, but their voice changes to a stronger, deeper, richer one.

Their tiny issues, and the game is still amazing regardless.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #50 on: Saturday, November 25, 2006, 04:38:36 PM »
Yeah, I didnt care for the voice acting for exactly that reason. Its impossible to record dialog for ALL those NPCs. I liked that in Morrowind where they all said "Hello" or something simple when you met them. You could record a couple hundred of those easily and make people seem like they have unique voices.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #51 on: Saturday, November 25, 2006, 05:06:27 PM »
Except they didn't.  Morrowind had the exact same voice actors as they do for Oblivion, and none of them sounded any different.  The only difference here is a few of the "race voices" are now switched (i.e. the Norn male/female actors will sometimes do an Orc voice... not sure if there are others that moonlight as other people).  Anyway... that never bothered me.  The beggar voices do, though.  That was a sad oversight.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #52 on: Saturday, November 25, 2006, 05:36:02 PM »
I know...I just wish they did. Morrowind "Hello/Greetings/whatever" in a ton of different voices, then the rest just text would be fine by me.

Its like....all the characters in Zelda have a unique voice *in your own head*. If they only had like 5 voice actors that spoke everything it would suck.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #53 on: Saturday, November 25, 2006, 06:31:57 PM »
Well I agree, voice acting isn't all that important to me.  I'd rather see the budget spent on a ton more writers writing a ton more unique dialogue, but whatever.  That ain't the way the world works.  I still think the voice acting is pretty damn good and we're pretty lucky on the whole.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #54 on: Saturday, November 25, 2006, 07:39:52 PM »
Yeah, all-in-all they did a great job on Oblivion. It was just some minor things that they overlooked. Though I really wish the Elven women didn't all sound like frickin' Bea Arthur! I like Bea, but her voice (or its likes) is not my idea of sexy. On the bright side, at least they don't all sound like Marge Simpson or her sisters.

I suspect the push for "everything is spoken" was promoted from the Xbox 360 development or fanbase. I can imagine the console argument being "a game that's all text? That sucks! I wanna play not read a novel! That's why I bought a 360!"

Personally I agree with you guys, I wouldn't have minded at all if the speech was all just text with no voices. Although having the voices shows off the lip sync too ;D

EDIT:
I forgot to add that a group of dedicated players/modders went ahead and made the Unofficial Oblivion Patch. It's got quite a barrel of fixes and enhancements!
This mod is a joint effort to fix the vast amount of bugs currently existing in Oblivion v1.1.511, fixing over 600 bugs so far! If you're experiencing a bug with Oblivion and it's not fixed by our mod please by all means report the bug to us in as much detail as possible so we can try fix it! Also if you find any: levitating trees or rocks, see-through or fall-through walls\objects or other stuff out of place, please let either of us know. To get the exact location, use the console commands sdt 0 and then tdt; please note the Cell (not PC Cell) and Pos values and indicate what's out of place. You can use tdt again to toggle the debug display off. Thank you and we hope you have a better Oblivion experience!

And here's IGN's Hands-On preview of Knights of the Nine.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, November 29, 2006, 05:51:53 PM »
I bought this -- thank you CC for your flyer w/ it for $10 (price matching!) and the Best Buy bonus $1 coupon; hehe.

Xessive, yuh -- the install is at least fast, thank God. Clicking on every one of those zips/exe's is annoying. Would've been nice to have had the option to have one BIG EXE to install EVERYTHING!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #58 on: Monday, December 04, 2006, 10:53:58 PM »
The other voice thing that kinda bugs me is the sudden voice changes of the beggars.. I'll talk to an old beggar hag, and she'll sound like an old hag, but when I ask her something general (i.e. Rumour) her voice will suddenly change to a younger, livelier (kinda sexier) voice! Same thing happens with old male beggars, but their voice changes to a stronger, deeper, richer one.

Hahahahahah....

Well, while I agree with Que that money can be better spent on dialogue  I don't think it would take a whole lot to get some consistency. The things Xessive mentioned are 'take you out of the game' moments.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, January 09, 2007, 02:33:44 AM »
So I purchased and beat this, and I have to say it was worth every penny.  It's got a couple of very minor bugs, like a one piece of dialogue that didn't have an associated sound and one piece of dialogue that had an extra word and bit of silence at the end of it that obviously wasn't supposed to be included.  Also, the music in the training area of the priory is dungeony music... which doesn't seem entirely out of character when you first explore it, but it never changes even when  it gets fixed and inhabited.  Lastly, the priory shrine in the chapel doesn't seem to work and always tells me to repent my wicked deeds, despite the fact that I have no bounty on my head.  I can't 100% confirm this as a bug, but I'm pretty sure I got blessings from other shrines just fine.  Still, that's pretty much a non-issue anyway.  For the most part, everything worked great!  Quests were all really fun, and a few were surprisingly deep, those making up for a few that were a bit too simple.  It's got a nice little story to go with it, some people to get to know, and by the end of it you've been all over the place, seen some unique stuff, and fought some cool bad guys.  I really couldn't say how many hours it was, being that I didn't play it straight through (I can't do anything straight through in this game... I'm easily distracted), but I do know that I didn't fully explore the one really big dungeon that's included (there are a couple, but I'm talking about the most significantly sized one).  Difficulty was about standard, though there were definitely some tough parts that took me by surprise.  Some nasty zombie mobs in one spot that were really hard to kill, and a couple other places where you've got the potential to get gangraped by a large number of mobs at once.

So yeah... anybody that's been holding off, don't bother.  It's really great.  I'd say go for the retail package and get all the other stuff, too.  I really don't care how pissy people have been about all this, but the downloadable content mods thus far have all been really great.  For twenty bucks with the retail package you're getting an awful lot of small stuff that just makes the game nicer.  It's certainly far from necessary, but I had fun exploring all the new stuff and playing with the new toys.  And I'm surprised at how well the game has stayed balanced.  I still feel like I'm very much earning all my rewards, and there's still plenty of challenge.

I'd give Knights of the Nine an A-, or thereabouts.  High 80s, whatever.  Retail package is a little bit slapped together install-wise, but the content is good stuff.  Small stuff, but nice.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, January 09, 2007, 03:34:03 PM »
I really do need to play this.

I bought it when it first came out -- for $10 on sale and installed it a bit ago, but that is all I have done w/ it!

Yuh, all of the separate installs was annoying, but still simple enough.

But, yeah -- NWN2, GW: Nightfall, and Dark Messiah side-tracked me from KOTN.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, February 07, 2007, 08:16:33 PM »
Well, I got back into Oblivion.

Basically, I been playing this KOTN retail expansion, which comes w/ all the current DLC stuff included! :)

Mehrunes' Razor (DLC)
(click to show/hide)

KOTN:
(click to show/hide)

That is pretty much it, so far.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday, February 07, 2007, 11:17:45 PM »
Good stuff.  I haven't done Mehrunes' Razor yet.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday, February 07, 2007, 11:29:23 PM »
i just downloaded (legally!) kotn. considering the retail expansion costs £15 ($30) here, and the download version was only $10/£5, it seemed like the way to go. even if i choose to buy the other bits (i'll probably pick up mehrune's razor), it's a hell of a lot cheaper than retail.

haven't gotten that far in yet, just doing the pilgrimage - but so far, so good. i'm guessing it will pick up a bit after i've got past this section.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #64 on: Thursday, February 08, 2007, 05:00:01 AM »
Oh yeah, I thought the pilgrimage was a little tedious and boring but necessary :P It gets much better from there.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #65 on: Saturday, February 10, 2007, 05:52:52 PM »
Since I done some wandering in Oblivion, I decided to run all over the world and whatnot.

I'm pretty much wandering the world just finding locations (namely to add another place to jump to on the map) and working on my skills to level up and all, hoping to run into any of those shrines for The Pilgrimage KOTN Quest.

I've already found 3 of them.

I been enjoying this a lot. :)

I like running around, hoping to find areas and stuff. That was pretty much the FIRST thing I did in Morrowind -- just to travel the area and find quests and stuff to level my character up, while doing main quest stuff here and there. :)

I do wish you could add mapmakers to the World and Local Map, since those shrines DON'T wind up adding themselves to the map AFTER you find them and all.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #66 on: Saturday, March 03, 2007, 07:24:33 PM »
My KOTN Progress....
(click to show/hide)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #67 on: Sunday, March 04, 2007, 07:12:36 AM »
My KOTN Progress....
(click to show/hide)

Sweet. I'm glad you're enjoying it :)

I just formatted my system and reinstalled Oblivion, and it's running even better :P I started from scratch and this time just for the fun of it I'm playing as a Wood Elf Acrobat. The first thing I noticed is that I always seem to be looking up at everyone! I know that Bosmer are slightly shorter in stature, but I'm about a head shorter than the female Bosmer as well! Meh, still fun. Makes me an even more stealthy acrobatic ninja elf!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #68 on: Sunday, March 04, 2007, 07:19:49 AM »
I tried the other quest, where you have to, I guess, walk across the air and grab the Mace -- but I keep fallin'.

hehe.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #69 on: Sunday, March 04, 2007, 07:23:14 AM »
I tried the other quest, where you have to, I guess, walk across the air and grab the Mace -- but I keep fallin'.

hehe.

Haha I did it from the first try :P

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #70 on: Sunday, March 04, 2007, 07:23:42 AM »
Haha I did it from the first try :P

:(

How the hell did you do it, dammit? :P

EDIT 1:
C'mon, X -- did you use the "force" or something? :P

EDIT 2:
I even tried jumping across w/ the "feather" effect; that didn't seem to work, either.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #71 on: Sunday, March 04, 2007, 09:07:41 AM »
:(

How the hell did you do it, dammit? :P

EDIT 1:
C'mon, X -- did you use the "force" or something? :P

EDIT 2:
I even tried jumping across w/ the "feather" effect; that didn't seem to work, either.

Hehe sort of :P

(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #72 on: Sunday, March 04, 2007, 03:11:48 PM »
MyD's KOTN Progress
(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #73 on: Sunday, March 04, 2007, 08:05:29 PM »
I defeated Umareil.
Ahuh, this was a pretty good expansion. :)

I'm ready for what's next, which would be Shivering Isles.