Author Topic: I hate Broadway.  (Read 3037 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
I hate Broadway.
« on: Wednesday, February 25, 2009, 02:26:40 PM »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: I hate Broadway.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, February 25, 2009, 02:30:42 PM »
Julie Taymor?  Might actually be interesting.  I don't know if you ever saw the Lion King Broadway show.  It was an art work in itself, transcending the cartoon original.  Spider Man, though.  Don't know.  Across the Universe was uneven, but definitely worth watching (to me).  The lady can cook.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, February 25, 2009, 05:39:21 PM »
I don't get broadway. I mean, I understand it's a stage preformance and it's a geniune form of acting and all that. tougher than on camera because you only get one take, etc, etc. I just... I've never seen an ad or commercial for one I'd actually want to see. Plus if I'm not mistaken a lot are musicals, which I can't stand. I hate when everything stops and people sing a song. yea sure, you can't write a long enough story so you sing every 5 minutes, usually an annoying song.

</rant>

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, February 25, 2009, 07:05:30 PM »
I hate Broadway with every fiber of my being.  Mostly because of the musicals.  I actually enjoy stage theater when it isn't insipid, useless bullshit.  I mean, it's one thing if you're talking about something as worthless as Cats, but even the other stuff I don't get.  Everyone likes Les Miserables, but that one throws me into a rage.  What idiot came up with that?  And how in the name of fuck did they think they could in any way capture the nobility and tragedy of the characters with such uninspired, lighthearted, empty, useless musical compositions?  The tragedy is that we live in an age where something so useless can be marketed and sold, and then you've got the added tragedy that probably half the people who see it aren't even literate enough or patient enough to read the damned masterpiece of a book.  Infuriating.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 01:50:01 AM »
Que pretty much summed it up. I really find Broadway pretty disgusting and quite stupid, and just a touch pretentious. I also hate the musical and dance style. Nothing irritates me more than watching a sitcom (like Scrubs, Family Guy etc.) break into a stupid Broadway style musical number, like it means something, or it is supposed to be classy.

I did want to see Lion King when it Toronto though, but in general, I find the whole thing beyond irritating.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 06:57:23 AM »
I don't know about Scrubs.  Don't watch it.  But Family Guy is just making fun of Broadway, like every other pop culture reference they use as the basis of most of the show's humor.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 07:24:35 AM »
They've mocked Broadway a few times, but mostly used it as a medium for their musical numbers. They've won a few Emmys for those.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 07:41:58 AM »
It's actually a pretty well known fact that Seth MacFarlane is a big fan of Broadway and musicals in general.  With Family Guy it's funny most of the time, but some other shows it can get a little irritating.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #8 on: Saturday, February 28, 2009, 06:32:16 AM »
Jeez, I didnt know live theatre was hated so much. While true, it has been a long time since I seen it, Ive never thought it to be "infuriating". My middle school used to take us to shows, and probably the best Ive ever seen done was Pinocchio.

Oh well, just add this to the list that everyone hates.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, February 28, 2009, 08:52:27 AM »
I love live theater. I love going to plays etc.. Broadway is just a kind of live theater that I really hate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, February 28, 2009, 11:30:48 AM »
Exactly.  Musicals aren't real theater (at least mostly) in my book.  I love plays, and a rousing rendition of Hamlet is as colossal today as it was four hundred years ago.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, February 28, 2009, 11:36:22 AM »
Jeez, I didnt know live theatre was hated so much. While true, it has been a long time since I seen it, Ive never thought it to be "infuriating". My middle school used to take us to shows, and probably the best Ive ever seen done was Pinocchio.

Oh well, just add this to the list that everyone hates.

No, not everyone.  I don't hate it at all.  It depends on the play, and the music within it (if it's a musical, because not all Broadway theater is musical).  I consider Phantom of the Opera and Lion King highlights in my life.  I also enjoyed Fiddler on the Roof and even Les Miserables.  There's something about live music with live action that cannot be duplicated on recordings, I don't care how big the screen is or how many speakers surround you.

Some of this is generational.  Tastes have shifted, and I understand that.  When my generation dies off, I wonder if Broadway will survive as is.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, February 28, 2009, 12:00:48 PM »
It will.

My problem is the unevenness of the production.  As stated, the music for Les Miserables is in many cases totally inappropriate considering the material.  One of the early themes for Gavroche is annoying as hell, as I recall, and if you ever want to rob the emotion from his death, just have some idiot sing it.

I don't hate all forms of musical theater, and even I admit that there are *parts* of better musicals, like Phantom and Les Mis, which can be good, but on the whole I just find it shallow and pandering.  Opera -- *generally* speaking -- is a higher caliber of musical theater, though it too can be strange.  The fact of the matter is and always will be that singing and acting do not truly mix.  They are separate arts that paint in completely different colors, and while they can be mixed in interesting and powerful ways, most often they are not.  They attempt to achieve different ends by their very natures and thereby undermine each other far more often than they render each other assistance.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, March 01, 2009, 07:01:07 PM »
When musicals actually work they're great. Something like Phantom of the Opera is easily up there with traditional theatre. Small local plays often end up with musical numbers and they usually work out great. It's stuff like Cats which just ruins it.

The scrubs musical is awful, bollywood is sometimes good, Beauty and the Beast is great as is My Fair Lady.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Monday, March 02, 2009, 05:55:14 PM »
And how in the name of fuck did they think they could in any way capture the nobility and tragedy of the characters with such uninspired, lighthearted, empty, useless musical compositions?  The tragedy is that we live in an age where something so useless can be marketed and sold, and then you've got the added tragedy that probably half the people who see it aren't even literate enough or patient enough to read the damned masterpiece of a book.  Infuriating.

Honestly, i think you're taking it way too seriously.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Monday, March 02, 2009, 06:44:46 PM »
Good for you.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Monday, March 02, 2009, 06:55:47 PM »
Yeah, uh...you're probably taking that way too seriously as well. 

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #17 on: Monday, March 02, 2009, 07:27:47 PM »
Damn it, Ghandi.  You're supposed to strike now.  What was all that training for?!

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: Monday, March 02, 2009, 11:58:59 PM »
You bastard!!  You set me up.