Author Topic: Divine Divinity  (Read 3398 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Divine Divinity
« on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 09:56:00 PM »
D, I am about to buy this classic off of ebay because you seem to have an orgasm every time this game is mentioned. Just one question, what the heck is Beyond Divinity?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Divine Divinity
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 09:57:28 PM »
The sequel.

Get the first game like you're planning on, though.  Sequel is better played after, and I think the first is probably a bit better.  But yes, an excellent game.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 10:29:14 PM »
Got the first game brand new for $11 incl. shipping.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2006, 01:44:57 PM »
D, I am about to buy this classic off of ebay because you seem to have an orgasm every time this game is mentioned.
Good idea. :)

Quote from: Puggy
Just one question, what the heck is Beyond Divinity?
Beyond Divinity's a sequel, but it's not a sequel. It's the follow-up to Divine, but it is not Divine Divinity 2. Larian is currently at work on "Next-Gen Divinity", which many believe will be Divine Divinity 2.

Quote from: Que
Get the first game like you're planning on, though.  Sequel is better played after, and I think the first is probably a bit better.  But yes, an excellent game.
Beyond Divinity's gameworld is not as open as Divine is. Beyond's gameworld is separated by Acts, whereas Divine is just an open gameworld, pretty much. Beyond Divinity is very good, though.

Though, on another note, BD is much darker. And was branded w/ an M-rating, b/c of its violence and gore. BD also has you control two characters; yourself (or whatever you create) and a Dark Knight. Dark Knights are evil characters, basically. He's an interesting character, b/c he ALWAYS is interacting w/ you -- telling you normally to do the evil thing and has some evil things to say. You and a Dark Knight have been magically bound together by an evil god, so the gameplay mechanic is if one of you die, you both die -- Game over. The objective is to somehow get the magical tie separated. Beyond Divinity though, does allow for more options in quests for finishing them than Divine; namely, often a good and an evil choice in quests for BD. BD has a new zoom in and zoom out feature, in which you can zoom in and out for battles to see them closer or further away.

BD has another game mechanic which is interesting. In each Act, if you can find a portal key to a "Battlefield", you can visit these at any time and open the portal to one up. What these are happen to be randomly generated worlds, populated w/ NPC's and (usually Fed-ex or kill someone, yet not so complicated type of) quests. If the game gets TOO Hard for you, you should go visit one so you can level up.

I like Beyond Divinity, but this is my warning to you: it's STARFORCE equipped. Many games published by Hip Interactive are SF-equipped. This would be, unfortunately, one of them.

I'm glad Divine wasn't equipped w/ Starforce. CDV published it.

Another rule about the Divinity games -- get the latest patch for it. They were both buggy out the box.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, October 19, 2006, 03:19:09 AM »
I realize this is the second game I bought purely on D's recommendation. The first was Arx Fatalis, and similarly to that this is an RPG I missed. :P

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, October 19, 2006, 01:37:47 PM »
I realize this is the second game I bought purely on D's recommendation. The first was Arx Fatalis, and similarly to that this is an RPG I missed. :P

Y'know, I never finished Arx. Good game and great atmosphere. I need to finish it. Especially w/ Dark Messiah around the corner and all.

Let us all know what you think of Divinity, once you get it and get some time to sit down and play it. It's very good stuff. :)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, October 19, 2006, 01:48:59 PM »
I am pretty excited. To me RPGs are like women; I love all the variatons. :P

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, October 26, 2006, 11:07:21 AM »
I'm not surprised to see on GameRevolution's name list this great game, but redundantly titled game: Divine Divinity

Divine Divinity
You can say that again.

Platform : PC
Publisher : CDV
Year : 2002

Bringing the term "God complex " to retarded new heights, this recent RPG's titular redundancy is truly unholy.

Hey, Puggy -- did you get this one, yet....?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #8 on: Friday, October 27, 2006, 12:58:08 PM »
No there was a 7 day national holiday here for Eid. Should come in next week.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, October 29, 2006, 07:31:36 AM »
Once you get it and spend some time w/ it, I wanna hear what you think of it. :)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Monday, November 06, 2006, 03:38:11 PM »
Puggy, get it yet...?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, November 08, 2006, 11:08:00 PM »
I got it a while back but my sister hasn't checked it out yet. She is the only one in the house with a graphics card currently. My 8800GTX will come in a month I hope.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, February 10, 2007, 05:58:45 PM »
Pug, did you ever start playing this one yet, once you got your vid card and all...?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, February 11, 2007, 01:11:31 AM »
haha I forgot all about it. I have to ask my sis where it is once she gets back from vacation. Thanks for reminding me.

I've got so much to go through though; Chaos Theory, Double Agent, Vegas, Just Cause and Company of Heroes. I bought those and haven't started them yet, meanwhile NWN2 and HL2 ep1 are currently taking up my time.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, February 11, 2007, 07:12:56 AM »
haha I forgot all about it. I have to ask my sis where it is once she gets back from vacation. Thanks for reminding me.

I've got so much to go through though; Chaos Theory, Double Agent, Vegas, Just Cause and Company of Heroes. I bought those and haven't started them yet, meanwhile NWN2 and HL2 ep1 are currently taking up my time.

Ooooh.....let me know how Just Cause is, once you get to it....