Author Topic: I remember when work was fun  (Read 2356 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
I remember when work was fun
« on: Tuesday, March 03, 2009, 05:57:46 PM »
So, we filmed a video a couple summers ago at work.  I don't know if I ever showed you guys because it wasn't up for long (originally), but here it is;

Better Than Playland

A lot of people almost got fired over this.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: I remember when work was fun
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, March 03, 2009, 06:13:11 PM »
Yeah, it's been picked up at a bunch of places under a different name.  ha.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, March 03, 2009, 06:27:15 PM »
Hahaha!  Wee!

How many times in that video do you think the guy could have been smashed with different random swinging?  I thought I caught a few.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, March 03, 2009, 07:52:42 PM »
Haha, that's completely awesome.  Did you try it?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, March 03, 2009, 11:34:08 PM »
Heh, awesome but quite dangerous.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, March 04, 2009, 12:12:31 AM »
Hahaha!  Wee!

How many times in that video do you think the guy could have been smashed with different random swinging?  I thought I caught a few.

I'm not going to lie here - i honestly thought he was going to be horribly maimed when that went down.  There were four of us there (not including driver), and he was the second guy to go. That's a one fall harness and it's totally not meant to sustain continuous force/stress like that at all.  Besides that, in person it at least looked like he was a lot closer to getting crippled than it does in the video, but that could have just been perspective. It was awesome, but also really really sketchy.To quote the guy in the excavator right after: "There were a couple times i thought you were going to fucking lose your legs and i'd have to run the fuck out of here and just pretend i lost the keys this morning"

Haha, that's completely awesome.  Did you try it?

Negative.  One guy went first, and it was kind of lame.  Then this one went down and it was awesome, but the driver refused to do it again.  I was hyped at first, but after talking to the driver right after that i was more of the opinion it was a bad idea.  The harness i was willing to risk somewhat, but the fact that he was convinced James avoided a few rocks by pure luck?  Yeah, fuck that.

Our boss eventually found out about this and lost it on the three guys he could pinpoint as being involved.  I was lucky because i wasn't even supposed to be at that site that day, i just kind of rolled in right before to grab something and they were like "You'll fucking love this" so they had no idea i was in any way involved. It's actually a pretty big suprise that no one got fired and the driver who put it up on youtube took it off.

I guess sometime in the last little bit he put it back up and it got picked up onto some other site where it got kind of popular.  I don't know, but the only way we found out it was back up was because a guy we used to work with called another co-worker and was like "My wife was just watching Ellen and I saw a video of James getting whipped around in front of Brad's house.  What the fuck?".  I don't know if that's actually true or not (i think it would have more views if it was), but I'm glad it's back on the internet.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, March 04, 2009, 03:21:43 AM »
I was hyped at first, but after talking to the driver right after that i was more of the opinion it was a bad idea.  The harness i was willing to risk somewhat, but the fact that he was convinced James avoided a few rocks by pure luck?  Yeah, fuck that.

Right.  That's what I thought.  I wasn't sure because I'm just watching a 2D video from one perspective.  The driver had the right view to make that call.

I'm surprised no one got canned.