Author Topic: I need a favor involving photoshop  (Read 2787 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
I need a favor involving photoshop
« on: Thursday, March 26, 2009, 07:49:45 PM »
http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/images/press_MarathonCircularSawBlade.jpg

If anyone wants to help me make someone mentally snap I need them to photoshop that picture to say "HACK" in giant letters where it says Marathon, and maybe attach a fake price tag of $80.99 to it.  Trust me, it's for a very good cause and i'd totally do it if I had any skill.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: I need a favor involving photoshop
« Reply #1 on: Friday, March 27, 2009, 02:41:07 AM »
Would you like "HACK" to resemble the logo's style?

And where would you like the price tag?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Friday, March 27, 2009, 09:39:55 PM »
Yeah, that would be ideal for the logo, but it isn't 100% necessary.  as for the price tag - anything will do.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 07:46:14 AM »
Alrighty, I'll see what I can whip up :)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 02:09:09 PM »
i love you.  in a queer way.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 03:13:10 PM »
i love you.  in a queer way.
It's Canadian thang.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 03:14:53 PM »
Hey, show us the final work.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 04:23:52 PM »
Hope this works for you GPW ;)

I tried to compensate for the sawblade's brushed metal pattern in some areas. I intentionally left some JPEG compression degradation in there to make it more fitting.

Let me know what y'all think.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 05:40:51 PM »
Wow, nicely done.  How did you do the sawblade over the letters?

So, gpw, you now must tell us what this is all about.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 06:05:01 PM »
Wow, nicely done.  How did you do the sawblade over the letters?

So, gpw, you now must tell us what this is all about.
Well there were two I could go about it, the quick way: use the same shape from the original text; the long and "technically proper" way: use the shape of the the huge sawblade. I took the quick way since it's relatively lo-res anyway.

Hmm.. Looking at it I feel like adjusting the price tag again.. I should superscript the 99c.

How's this?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 07:07:33 PM »
$80.99, what a weird price.  Everything here is $79.99 or $99.99.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, March 29, 2009, 04:01:24 AM »
Hahaha, awesome buddy.

$80.99 is indeed a strange price.  The backstory:

I work for a small-medium sized contractor that builds high end custom homes. The company I work for experienced massive growth in recent years and is probably a bit larger than the owners/contractors can realistically handle.  One aspect of this is that they got through a recent industry-wide labour shortage by hiring on a bunch of inexperienced workers and paying them wages you'd throw at experienced guys.  With 4 main contractors you can do this, but as they grew their experienced resources got overly spread out.  The end result is that the guy in charge of one of the houses I work on is very inexperienced.  He has no clue what he's doing.  He's also stupidly stubborn and has an ego about his work.  This is a bad combo in that he makes huge mistakes all the time because he doesn't know something and doesn't feel it's necessary to call someone who does know and ask because 'he's in charge'.  To clarify, he recently made a couple laborers lay a gas line down without knowing where it started, ended, or what the rules are about laying gas lines down.  The end result is it had to be done twice (it's not even in the right place the second time).  That wouldn't be oh so big of a deal except the company ended up paying two guys to drill holes through concrete over a period of two days for no reason now.  That's not cheap.

Now, i'm not the kind of guy who gives a fuck about my bosses' money.  I spend as little time at work as possible, i fuck around a lot, and i'm just there for the paycheck and because it's flexible with school.  I checked out of this place about a year ago.  Mistakes like that are going to happen, and that's fine.  The thing is that this guy is not only a fuckup, but he has an ego about it.  When someone suggested that he call next time to find out where the line goes he told them "they're not paid to think" and that calling would waste time.  That kind of shit doesn't stick well with anyone.

So, mad with power about a year ago this guy decided that he'd create a little 'safe' where he'd keep a bunch of disposable work items that he thought people were using too much.  Stuff like saw blades, knife blades, drill bits, and shit like that.  He locked it in this heavy duty plastic box and hid the key.  Rationing them.  It's stupid for a lot of reasons, partially because now it's just making more work for everyone as they have to (theoretically) ask him for the key and 'prove' that they need new shit.  Probably more importantly, however, is that it just creates a bad environment for people who do care about their work (remember: not me). It wasn't an issue because the key happened to be the first place i looked and soon everyone knew.  He never bothered to use it.

A week or so ago he thought a guy i was working with changed a blade when he didn't need to.  A fight ensued and Captain Dumbass moved the key.  He also made the comment that the blade cost $80.99.  This is a blatant lie and when we laughed at him about it he made the comment that "none of us would know what a blade cost". I used to do nothing but purchase orders on shit like this for one company and i'm sure everyone there has bought a saw blade before, but whatever (keep in mind that this isn't his personal money).  He now refuses to tell anyone where he put the key.

The plan:

Step 1: cut hinges off box so we can get the shit out
Step 2: take shit out and replace with the picture
Step 3:throw old saw blades in there and throw chain on box
Step 4: Put in bigger box
Step 5 Lock bigger box and throw away key.

Ideally, he'll think there's still good shit in there and spend time opening the bigger box. Spend more time opening the smaller box. Finally, his brain will explode.   A few months ago someone mysteriously wrote 'HACK' on this guy's little name plate thing he uses to mark out where he hangs his shit up (why he does this no one knows). No one has admitted to this and the investigation is ongoing, but he points out every once in a while that 'we are all under suspicion.'  He is not joking. 

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, March 29, 2009, 05:42:43 AM »
Wow, HACK is appropriate for this douchebag.

Just from rummaging around online I found that the 7 1/4in 40-tooth sawblade is $17.99, and the blade in the pic is only 24-tooth. He's really just getting overzealous and making shit up as he goes.

Glad you like it ;)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, April 07, 2009, 04:33:55 PM »
Sorry, i forgot to update you.  The plan got modified a bit because we decided ("we" being the revolutionaries) that breaking him down slowly would be the way to go.  As such, we broke into the box, placed the photoshopped blade cutout into it, and replaced the hinges.  You, by the way, are a hero to a couple of guys you've never met. 

The unfortunate thing is that he didn't find it until April 1st and kind of figured that it was just an April Fools Day thing.  Yet, slowly since he discovered  it, it's dawned on him that no one respects him.  He also hasn't put two and two together and figured out that we had to break into the box in order to place it there.  He's not really all that smart. 

Apparently that saw blade was the first shot in the revolutionary war though.  The guy is starting to lose it and claiming everybody is disrespecting him...which is true...but he's paranoid about it.  It's actually amazing to slowly watch him unravel.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, April 07, 2009, 05:15:25 PM »
GPW's life is Dynasty for men.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, April 07, 2009, 05:27:17 PM »
Haha thanks for the update GPW ;)

As evil as it sounds, I imagine it is amusing to observe a douchebag gradually crack and fall apart.

GPW's life is Dynasty for men.

Haha that reminded me of this.

Keep us posted on any new developments :)