Author Topic: Battlefield 1943: consoles in June, PC in Sept; $15  (Read 3930 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Battlefield 1943: consoles in June, PC in Sept; $15
« on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 10:43:26 AM »
Topic gives the info. But this is why I had to make a thread.

Don't worry, PC gamers!

Dear PC Gamer(s),

I know you might feel disappointed about the PC release being in September rather than June, but you should be very happy to know this is to give us the proper development time to create a proper PC version of Battlefield 1943 and not a console port. To the contrary of some less informed fans out there this is in no means an intentional ploy to punish our PC fans. And is in fact quite the opposite, we want to make the best damn PC version we can for our PC fans!

Not to bore your eyes out with endless text about the how's and do's I will say to make this a proper PC version we need a completed core game to develop over and remember we already released Battlefield Bad Company with the Frostbite Engine on the consoles, so this will be first PC game ever released using Frostbite! PCs are an open platform requiring additional features, support, technical consideration, and can't just be thrown out there using copy/paste. We have thought very carefully about this decision and in the long run felt it was the right choice even though we knew we'd catch some flak for it, but we feel once you play the first Frostbite PC game ever from DICE you'll see why we put this extra time and care in on the development making all right again in the universe. I hope this helps clear things up better and answers your concern(s).

Sincerely,

Gordon Van **** (The company that I work for thinks my last name is naughty!)
Battlefield 1943 Producer
You want to run that by me again? You're porting a console engine to PC, and you need to have a "base game" done already on consoles for you to build off of, but this isn't a console port.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Battlefield 1943: consoles in June, PC in Sept; $15
« Reply #1 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 12:29:40 PM »
Now they're just arguing semantics.

I think they're trying to approach the problem under pretenses. By simply renaming or rewording the process they assume that they are redefining it.

I wish they'd be more honest and say "We're trying to make a very good port!"

I'm not interested in the game anyway for two main reasons: WW2 theme (tired of it) and the game type is just not for me.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 12:59:27 PM »
I don't really care if its a console port, but trying to argue that it isn't is just insulting gamers intelligence.

I don't know how interested I am in the game. I haven't really played any BF games. I don't think my connection handles them well (I know BF2 didn't like it). Ignoring the game itself, I think this could be a really great business model for multiplayer games. You make a content-light version of your game and release it for cheap. If it doesn't get peoples attention then at least you haven't spent a lot on its creation. If it really catches on then you can make more maps or whatever.

$15 isn't bad to try it. Even if they release $5-10 map packs later you'd have to buy several to meet what a full retail game would cost you, and most likely you'd end up with more maps than the retail game would have come with normally.

The only problem would be player fragmentation, with some people only having the base game and maps, some with various numbers of map packs, etc. At least everyone would have the same "core maps" to play on.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 01:38:33 PM »
im more interested in what his last name is
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 01:57:39 PM »
Dyke

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #5 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 02:46:17 PM »
I'm not even going to consider it.  All the Battlefield games I've checked out have been utter trash from a coding perspective.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #6 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 05:58:42 PM »
The only problem would be player fragmentation, with some people only having the base game and maps, some with various numbers of map packs, etc. At least everyone would have the same "core maps" to play on.
Any plans for a SDK revealed on this one yet...?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 07:53:47 PM »
I highly doubt one will exist.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #8 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 10:09:51 PM »
I'm not even going to consider it.  All the Battlefield games I've checked out have been utter trash from a coding perspective.

So true, while I did play the crap out of 1942 with my roommate and had lots of fun with it back in the day, it was one bug ridden piece of shit. It wasn't till like a year after till it almost felt like a complete game, and the sequels were just as bad despite being reviewed with extreme favor. Unlike some games I know that were hit pretty bad for some bugs in reviews *cough*Demigod*cough*.

Fuck DICE and their pampered asses.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, April 25, 2009, 07:45:54 AM »
I appreciate that they want to do a proper PC version and not make it seem like a lame port, but it seems crappy to make PC gamers wait 3 months.  A development company should figure out a way to make releases at least somewhat concurrent.  And, you know, you could always delay the fucking console version.  Like they do with every fucking PC release that gets held back so it can come out on 360 at the same time.

But yeah, this is another developer that does well in design but fails in execution, like Bethesda.  It's a shame.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline wizall

« Reply #10 on: Friday, June 26, 2009, 02:50:34 AM »
There's a nice 24-min game play vid up at Giant Bomb with Brad Shoemaker. I guess you all know what to expect, being that we're all PC veterans. It seems they used the Frosbite engine (Bad Company), so a ton of things are destructible. The commentary from Shoemaker is also kind of amusing.

And it doesn't look like June for this one, obviously. Hopefully, for me, first or second week in July.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Friday, June 26, 2009, 08:09:52 AM »
Brad always cracks me up.  I love that guy.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, February 03, 2011, 03:54:16 PM »
We’re confident this will lead to an even better experience in Battlefield 3, not only on PC, but on all platforms.
This is pretty much a "Fuck you" from EA to PC gamers.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, February 03, 2011, 05:05:33 PM »
They've basically just announced they're not supporting the BFBC2 PC community anymore. That pretty much eliminated any chance of me buying the BFBC2 Vietnam expansion.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, February 03, 2011, 06:03:02 PM »
They've basically just announced they're not supporting the BFBC2 PC community anymore. That pretty much eliminated any chance of me buying the BFBC2 Vietnam expansion.

I probably will still get BF: BC2 - Vietnam....when it's $5 or less.

EDIT:
Speaking of which, looks what is a dead deal now... :(
« Last Edit: Thursday, February 03, 2011, 06:40:36 PM by MysterD »