Author Topic: Dead Space 2 - Update: PC Collector's Ed Box = $30 on Amazon + Free Shipping  (Read 22468 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Dead Space 2 - Update: 9.0 from IGN; Gamespot Reviews; 87% from PC Gamer
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday, January 26, 2011, 05:50:13 PM »
GameSpot Review - PS3 Version gets a 9.0.

It gets a 9.0 namely b/c PS3 Limited Edition version includes Dead Space: Extraction (formerly a Wii Exclusive) as a FREE bonus.

The first printing of the PS3 version, marked as the Limited Edition, also includes Dead Space Extraction at no extra cost. This is the same great, story-driven on-rails shooter that debuted on the Wii in 2009, presented here in high-definition and looking much better than ever.

Extraction's story introduces some strong characters and reveals fascinating details about the Church of Unitology and those trouble-causing markers they're so obsessed with. And the action is as intense and terrifying as you'd expect from a Dead Space game, with tons of satisfying limb-blasting and an assortment of powerful weapons.

The Wii version's excellent controls have been transferred seamlessly to the PlayStation Move, and that's the way this game should be played, though if you don't have one of those handy, you can fumble through it with a DualShock, too. Extraction can also be purchased separately on PlayStation Network for $15; its inclusion here for free is a terrific bonus.

Dead Space 2 doesn't bring with it the same sense of experiencing something utterly new and innovative that its predecessor did. But it's nonetheless an outstanding game, with a campaign that simultaneously leaves you satisfied and eager for more, and intense multiplayer that gives you a great reason to keep coming back to this terrifying universe. Toss in Dead Space Extraction, and Dead Space 2 becomes a great value, bursting with all the gory, scary sci-fi action you can handle. Unless you're just plain chicken, this is a sci-fi horror adventure you definitely want to suit up for.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: Dead Space 2 - Update: Severed DLC NOT coming to the PC
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday, January 26, 2011, 09:56:25 PM »
So I ended up springing for the collector's edition and now several hours into it.  This game is fucking awesome.  Better than the first one so far and lots of awesome, tense action scenes.  There's also a lot more fucked up, crazy stuff in this too.  Anyone who enjoyed the first should be playing this now.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #83 on: Saturday, January 29, 2011, 05:32:12 PM »
I wasn't going to buy it.  I swear I wasn't.  Today I did.

Fuck me.

But I can't decide if I want to run through the first again before I jump in.  Ugh.  I don't really have the time or probably motivation, but... god damn it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #84 on: Saturday, January 29, 2011, 07:29:35 PM »
Que,
What platform you buy it for?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #85 on: Saturday, January 29, 2011, 11:36:38 PM »
PS3.  PS3 version is a so-called Limited Edition (not a CE... that's the expensive version that comes with stuff) and comes with a port of Dead Space: Extraction, the Wii light gun shooter and prequel.  Has improved visuals and everything.  I'm actually playing that right now while I debate whether to play through the first game again or jump into the new one.  I'm actually really impressed with Extraction.  The models are kinda' low poly and stuff, but the atmosphere is there, it's cool to see some locations from the first game, and it's cool to "watch" everything go down.

I'm actually thinking of picking up the iOS game as well.  I really, really shouldn't, but I have to admit it, I'm a bloody Dead Space junkie.  I just love actiony, bloody sci-fi horror stuff.  I can't help it.  At least I didn't buy the freaking CE for 2.  Which I really did debate for a second in the store.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #86 on: Sunday, January 30, 2011, 12:16:30 AM »
Are you playing Extraction on a Dualshock 3?  How is it?  I hear it has Move support, so I'm sure the experience would be better using the Move controller.  However, it would be hard to justify the expense for one game.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #87 on: Sunday, January 30, 2011, 12:28:30 AM »
It's not bad.  It would be better with a move, but honestly, I haven't felt gimped much by using a stick.  I've missed one or two items that were just too quick to grab, but I'm having a blast with the game so far.  It's a nice change of pace.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #88 on: Sunday, January 30, 2011, 05:15:45 PM »
Damn.  I may have to take back my former statements.  Either that, or this boss fight is just fundamentally fucking broken.  Giant tentacle monster... the pattern is easy enough to figure out, it's fairly simple.  Shoot the glowing bits when they try to attack you.  But my shots don't register half the time.  It's like you have to intentionally aim slightly off, but that doesn't necessarily get you anything.  Sometimes the hits register, but by and large I can't make it consistent, and there's so much fucking camera jiggle that it's near impossible with the controller.  I suspect it wouldn't be that much better with a Move controller, though, as even when I'm aimed spot on, it just doesn't work.  Plus there are times when you need to use stasis to get through something and it doesn't register that you did, and you just stand there getting hit like a fucking dolt even though you did what you were supposed to.

I'm horribly disappointed because I was really having fun with this game, but at this point, I don't think I'll be able to move on from this level unless I set the difficulty to easy and throw myself at it 12 dozen more times, which I'm not even remotely interested in doing.  I don't know if this was a problem with the original version or just the port (Pyro, you played it... thoughts?), but I'm really fucking disappointed, especially since the rest of the game has been very solid and enjoyable so far.  I even went and read a FAQ to be positive... and sure enough, I'm doing everything right, the game is just messed up.

EDIT - Watched a video online, and the fight is definitely broken.  It looks like if you bring the pulse gun and just stockpile ammo for it for the fight, the rapid-fire hail of bullets makes it a lot more likely that you'll hit the spots you need to.  But even in the video the guy was getting direct hits that were doing nothing, and the stasis thing borked for him too.  Dunno' how this got by QA.  The rest of the game prior to this had felt very polished and balanced.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #89 on: Sunday, January 30, 2011, 05:42:52 PM »
That sucks, Que. :(

That damn mini-planet mining section where you have to time the stasis and avoid the blades was a pain in the ass in Dead Space 1. Never got by it.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #90 on: Sunday, January 30, 2011, 09:30:28 PM »
My PC copy arrived! Played about 10 mins so far. I'm impressed with the visuals and the cinematic appeal of the storytelling.

Will let you know how I handle the tentacle thing!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #91 on: Sunday, January 30, 2011, 09:34:34 PM »
Haha, I was talking about Extraction, the Wii light gun shooter they ported to PS3 with DS2.  Sorry, should have clarified that again.  I haven't jumped into DS2 yet.  Might play through the first again first, and will jump into the iOS DS before too, I think.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #92 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 07:04:06 AM »
Oh hehe I'm still expecting a giant tentacle monster thing! :P

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #93 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 12:54:50 PM »
Damn.  I may have to take back my former statements.  Either that, or this boss fight is just fundamentally fucking broken.  Giant tentacle monster... the pattern is easy enough to figure out, it's fairly simple.  Shoot the glowing bits when they try to attack you.  But my shots don't register half the time.  It's like you have to intentionally aim slightly off, but that doesn't necessarily get you anything.  Sometimes the hits register, but by and large I can't make it consistent, and there's so much fucking camera jiggle that it's near impossible with the controller.  I suspect it wouldn't be that much better with a Move controller, though, as even when I'm aimed spot on, it just doesn't work.  Plus there are times when you need to use stasis to get through something and it doesn't register that you did, and you just stand there getting hit like a fucking dolt even though you did what you were supposed to.

I'm horribly disappointed because I was really having fun with this game, but at this point, I don't think I'll be able to move on from this level unless I set the difficulty to easy and throw myself at it 12 dozen more times, which I'm not even remotely interested in doing.  I don't know if this was a problem with the original version or just the port (Pyro, you played it... thoughts?), but I'm really fucking disappointed, especially since the rest of the game has been very solid and enjoyable so far.  I even went and read a FAQ to be positive... and sure enough, I'm doing everything right, the game is just messed up.

EDIT - Watched a video online, and the fight is definitely broken.  It looks like if you bring the pulse gun and just stockpile ammo for it for the fight, the rapid-fire hail of bullets makes it a lot more likely that you'll hit the spots you need to.  But even in the video the guy was getting direct hits that were doing nothing, and the stasis thing borked for him too.  Dunno' how this got by QA.  The rest of the game prior to this had felt very polished and balanced.

Yea I remember that now, it was a bitch for me too. It was one of those fights where you had to hit him at the right moments and if you fucked it up, you were dead and had to start over again. Once I figured it out it wasn't so bad, it was just hard to tell when he was getting hurt.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #94 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 07:29:12 PM »
I just heard about EA's marketing technique for this game -- screen it in front of various mothers to get their reaction.

&feature=related

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #95 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 09:52:58 PM »
I just heard about EA's marketing technique for this game -- screen it in front of various mothers to get their reaction.

&feature=related

NO MILFS WTF!

hahahaha

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #96 on: Tuesday, February 01, 2011, 07:36:47 AM »
I tried that on my mom. I showed her a trailer asked her what she thought. She just said "I couldn't play that, I'd just die over and over." When I specifically asked her about the gore and violence, she said something like "looks pretty good to me," as if I were asking about the graphics.

Then I showed her the "you mom hates dead space 2" thing, and she laughed her ass off. She thought it was staged because of the reactions.

Though if you were to show it to my grandmother, completely different story. She might throw up, or have a heart attack. Or both.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #97 on: Tuesday, February 01, 2011, 09:13:54 AM »
I watched the movie Alien at the theater when it first released.  I was shocked numb.  Now, something like that seems commonplace and doesn't affect me nearly so much.  We get desensitized along the way.  Someone my mother's age, yeah, she can't take it, and doesn't want to try.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #98 on: Thursday, February 03, 2011, 03:16:23 AM »
Since I finished Dead Space 2 a few days ago, I borrowed my brother's Move controller for Dead Space Extraction and I'm liking it and doing a little better with it than I was with the Dualshock and I'm enjoying the game so far.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #99 on: Thursday, February 03, 2011, 04:17:49 AM »
Yeah, I just finished it.  That boss fight was completely fine with an automatic weapon.  I couldn't get the pulse rifle but even just the pistol was fine.  Finished the game just 10 minutes ago... and hooray for bugs!  The game fades out, looks like it's gonna' do something... and I get a black screen.  Been sitting that way for 10 minutes now.  Gonna' have to quit the game and I guess wait for a patch or something, if one ever comes.  Fucking hell.  I guess I saw the ending, but I really have no idea if there was anything after that, haha.

But it really was a cool game.  Better than I expected it to be.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #100 on: Friday, February 04, 2011, 12:20:12 PM »
I'm so excited right now lol. I just won a free copy of the game for Xbox 360.

Gamerbits.com was having a contest, they said to follow their twitter by 2pm EST today for a chance to win, and that knowing unitology might help. So I spent a few hours last night learning to read and write in unitology. They gave a message to decode, and I was the first to send in an answer.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #101 on: Friday, February 04, 2011, 02:32:55 PM »

Gamerbits.com was having a contest, they said to follow their twitter by 2pm EST today for a chance to win, and that knowing unitology might help. So I spent a few hours last night learning to read and write in unitology. They gave a message to decode, and I was the first to send in an answer.

Congrats! :)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #102 on: Friday, February 04, 2011, 04:53:13 PM »
Nice.  I was all set to play it last night when I decided to play through the first again.  I don't regret the choice, I'm having just as much fun this time as I did when I first played it.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #103 on: Friday, February 04, 2011, 05:28:15 PM »

Congrats, dude!

Also I finished up Extraction a couple of hours after my last post and it was a pretty fun game.  I might play through it again sometime on one of the harder difficulties.  I didn't run into any of the bugs you encounted, Que, sucks that it happened though.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #104 on: Saturday, February 05, 2011, 04:50:11 PM »

Nerd.

j/k :P  Grats though.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #105 on: Saturday, February 05, 2011, 11:02:17 PM »
haha

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #106 on: Sunday, February 06, 2011, 03:01:50 AM »
Man, this game is not easy.  Not at all.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #107 on: Sunday, February 06, 2011, 12:27:27 PM »
I'm playing through the first game again on hard and not having much trouble.  How would you say it compares to that?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #108 on: Sunday, February 06, 2011, 01:50:07 PM »
I might be a horrible judge of this.  It's probably exactly on par with what I remember from the first, I just don't like going over the same ground twice in a game ever really, so dying while playing twice in one night makes me not want to play again....at least in a game like this as opposed to a platformer or something like Super Meat Boy.

It's probably not that bad, I probably just need to put it down on easy to enjoy it more personally.  Specifically at one section where it seems like an unstoppable swarm of babies keeps on killing me.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #109 on: Sunday, February 06, 2011, 02:18:01 PM »
Haha, yeah, there were a couple points on my current run through the first that did knock me over a few times, but on the whole I haven't found it all that difficult, or felt like I had to repeat too much stuff.  The fight in the ER with the regenerating dude handed my ass to me probably a good 4 times, I had trouble with a couple swarms of those little tiny limpet things that I really didn't have good weaponry to handle, and one of those big wall-cluster dudes that spits out the little turret-like things killed me several times because I had no means of just blowing it up outright, and I've been a little light on ammo a few times, but mostly it's felt okay.  I feel you, though.  Some games it just doesn't make sense to play on a harder difficulty if it annoys you.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #110 on: Sunday, February 06, 2011, 02:48:24 PM »
Is this game more difficult than the first?

I remember in the first game I only had a few deaths in the entire playthrough except for the final encounter.  The final encounter took a couple of tries. 

From what you guys are saying, it appears that this game is significantly more challenging than the first... either that or there are just more cheap deaths.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #111 on: Sunday, February 06, 2011, 03:07:13 PM »
I don't really remembering dying too many times on the first one either.  To be fair, I'm about two hours in and have maybe died three times in the second one, with one of those deaths being pretty easily avoidable if I was paying better attention. The other two are at exactly the same spot and probably more of a case where I just need a different weapon...or to be less buzzed when playing.   It might not be that much worse, but it was just annoying me for some reason.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #112 on: Sunday, February 06, 2011, 06:09:06 PM »
Is this game more difficult than the first?

I remember in the first game I only had a few deaths in the entire playthrough except for the final encounter.  The final encounter took a couple of tries. 

From what you guys are saying, it appears that this game is significantly more challenging than the first... either that or there are just more cheap deaths.

I would say its only a tiny bit more difficult than the first one and just at a couple of parts.  I did my first playthrough on normal and died maybe 4 or 5 times total, and a couple of those not even being killed by enemies but by puzzle/enviroment parts.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #113 on: Sunday, February 06, 2011, 07:57:15 PM »
I probably died like 5-6 times in the first game (playing on medium). At least 3 of those were at the part where you have to release the asteroid, and I stupidly walked into the rotating things you have to dodge. Repeatedly haha.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #114 on: Monday, February 07, 2011, 06:15:17 AM »
Dead Space 2 is Amazon's deal of the day today.

$40 regular version
$60 collector's edition

LINKY

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #115 on: Monday, February 07, 2011, 03:35:23 PM »
Dead Space 2 is Amazon's deal of the day today.

$40 regular version
$60 collector's edition

LINKY

Thanks. Good catch.
Edited/Added to first post in thread, as well. :)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: Dead Space 2 - Update: All platforms, $20 of on Reg/Collector's Ed for 2-7-2011
« Reply #116 on: Monday, February 07, 2011, 04:39:44 PM »
I've got a couple questions:

1. I'm guessing the online pass code is on a seperate slip of paper in the box? That seems to be missing from my copy that I won. Not that the online is what I want the game for, but I had sort of planned on messing around with it. I guess if I do break down and buy a code for $10, at least that's for a game I got for free.

2. Anyone know what all the unlocks are from Dead Space Ignition? I've got the hacker suit, and it says there's 4 doors throughout the game with extra stuff inside. Is that everything? I'm hoping so, then I won't have to go back and play Ignition, it's terrible haha.

3. Should I play through Extraction before playing DS2? I'm not sure how long it is, but my copy is for the Wii, and I'd have to play on my brother's. I don't have a way of hooking the Wii up to my TV (which is just a monitor with HDMI/DVI/VGA), so I'd have to play it in my brother's room. I'm also not sure how long Extraction is and I sort of want to get to DS2.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Re: Dead Space 2 - Update: All platforms, $20 of on Reg/Collector's Ed for 2-7-2011
« Reply #117 on: Monday, February 07, 2011, 05:11:08 PM »
The chronological order of the Dead Space universe is, I believe, as follows:

Dead Space Animated Comics (PSN has them)
Dead Space: Downfall (Straight to video animated movie -- actually not bad)
Dead Space: Extraction
Dead Space
Dead Space: Ignition
Dead Space: Aftermath (another straight to video animated movie; I heard this one sucked though)
Dead Space 2

I am not sure if Ignition is before or after Aftermath though.

I think that's why you're asking if you should play Extraction before DS2.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #118 on: Monday, February 07, 2011, 06:02:52 PM »
Well, mostly I was wondering if there's more unlocks. When I sat down to play some Ignition, I quit mid-game and did NOT want to continue. I'm thinking if there's no more unlocks from Ignition for DS2, I'll watch Ignition on YouTube for the story.

At this point, Extraction, Ignition, and DS2 are the only parts I haven't consumed. The comic is on XBL as well, I "obtained" Aftermath, and I own the Downfall DVD. I'm just wondering if I'll be spoiling anything significant by playing DS2 first, then Extraction. I'm actually thinking about trying to track down a cable to get a Wii hooked up to my monitor because it's just so much easier if I can play it here.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #119 on: Monday, February 07, 2011, 06:34:32 PM »
I've got a couple questions:

1. I'm guessing the online pass code is on a seperate slip of paper in the box? That seems to be missing from my copy that I won. Not that the online is what I want the game for, but I had sort of planned on messing around with it. I guess if I do break down and buy a code for $10, at least that's for a game I got for free.

2. Anyone know what all the unlocks are from Dead Space Ignition? I've got the hacker suit, and it says there's 4 doors throughout the game with extra stuff inside. Is that everything? I'm hoping so, then I won't have to go back and play Ignition, it's terrible haha.

3. Should I play through Extraction before playing DS2? I'm not sure how long it is, but my copy is for the Wii, and I'd have to play on my brother's. I don't have a way of hooking the Wii up to my TV (which is just a monitor with HDMI/DVI/VGA), so I'd have to play it in my brother's room. I'm also not sure how long Extraction is and I sort of want to get to DS2.

1.  Yeah, the online code is on a slip of paper in box.

2. I beat Ignition and all I got was the hacker suit and the extra rooms that you can unlock.  I think you only have to have a Dead Space Ignition save past your first hack you do in that game to unlock all of that stuff, so finishing the game is not necessary.  There are other unlocks you can get, such as a different looking Plasma Cutter if you have a Dead Space save file.  You can also get a suit and a different force gun if you got the collector's edition.

3.  No, you don't really have to play Extraction before playing DS2 since it takes place before the first game and doesn't really have any spoilers for DS2.  Extraction is pretty short, I beat it in two sittings on Normal difficulty, but I could have easily have done it in one long sitting.