Author Topic: Tax refund  (Read 2909 times)

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
Tax refund
« on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 10:12:41 PM »
I still have my state & federal tax refunds sitting around, and I want to blow the on something. I need ideas. I was going to spend them on something boring and responsible but I've come to my senses. Keep your suggestions within a $500-$2000 range. And bear in mind that the money will be spent on hookers and blow if nothing surfaces in the next few days.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Tax refund
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 10:14:46 PM »
A nice TV or surround receiver?

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 10:34:10 PM »
And bear in mind that the money will be spent on hookers and blow if nothing surfaces in the next few days.

What's wrong with that?

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 10:39:01 PM »
What's wrong with that?

Anyone firmly entrenched in the hooker & blow culture knows well that $2000 won't get you far. I'm working on a limited budget here.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Friday, May 29, 2009, 12:51:58 PM »
Oh how I'd love to have 2 grand to play with right now.

How about a trip somewhere?  You can even do a cruise for that much these days, including air fare to and from the port.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Friday, May 29, 2009, 08:02:59 PM »
Invest in something that has either intrinsic or personal value.  Don't blow it on useless garbage.

Sorry, I'm not really in "fun" mode.  I'm a government employee in California, and the looming, titanic figure of potential work furloughs has covered me in its shadow and more or less killed my drive to do anything other than worry.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #6 on: Friday, May 29, 2009, 08:25:16 PM »
I may take Cobra's advice and travel for a few weeks. I was thinking of going to South America - start in Chile and work may way up the coast. But I haven't even begun to look at plane tickets, and they are probably pretty pricey.

As far as investing...I did that about a year and a half ago, with a large chunk of money, *weeks* before the economy started to really decline. I've lost far more than I want to think about right now. Luckily it's in a roth ira - i.e. long term investment.

Any suggestions on where to travel (for relatively cheap)?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Friday, May 29, 2009, 08:31:41 PM »
Ireland.  It isn't necessarily cheap-cheap, but it's better than everywhere else.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #8 on: Friday, May 29, 2009, 08:33:47 PM »
Ireland?  Doesn't the weather there suck Seattle and England style?  Hell no.

How about the Dominican Republic?  I loved that place.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #9 on: Friday, May 29, 2009, 08:39:48 PM »
I've always wanted to see Ireland, but if I went it would probably be along with the rest of Europe, and I dunno if I could handle the exchange rate right now.

The Dominican Republic is an interesting suggestion. What all did you do while you were there? I'm a little hesitant on anything in that area given the recent swine flu.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Friday, May 29, 2009, 08:42:14 PM »
Fuck the rest of Europe.  Ireland and Scotland have more than plenty to keep one occupied for a good long time, not to mention better beer than any sun-soaked pussyville.  Also, 300% less VD and pig illnesses.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Friday, May 29, 2009, 08:57:45 PM »

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #12 on: Friday, May 29, 2009, 09:22:25 PM »
Man I could easily spend that in a weekend buying records.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #13 on: Friday, May 29, 2009, 10:11:21 PM »
The Dominican Republic is an interesting suggestion. What all did you do while you were there? I'm a little hesitant on anything in that area given the recent swine flu.
It's kind of like Office Space.  We did nothing, and it was all that we imagined it would be.  Seriously, we just relaxed and drank and went to the little knick knack shops.  The place was paradise.

Fuck the rest of Europe.  Ireland and Scotland have more than plenty to keep one occupied for a good long time, not to mention better beer than any sun-soaked pussyville.  Also, 300% less VD and pig illnesses.
I don't know.  Presidente kicks major ass.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, May 30, 2009, 10:59:03 PM »
Anywhere in Europe is going to be more expensive than you'd like.  Considering your price range I'd stick to South/Central America.  Southeast Asia is another option if you can get a good enough deal on a flight (and want to avoid Australia...otherwise combine the two trips).

Look at the Dominican as Scott said and Costa Rica as well. The main thing with continental SA is that there's a lot of ground to cover and your time might be limited. Avoid the fuck out of Brazil.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, May 31, 2009, 09:23:48 AM »
Costa Rica is actually quite interesting, and now that I think about it, cheap as hell compared to a lot of places.  A dollar goes pretty far there.  Lots of neat stuff to see, too, without having to travel far and wide to get to it all.