Author Topic: Left 4 Dead 2 announced  (Read 42660 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Left 4 Dead 2 announced
« Reply #280 on: Saturday, February 06, 2010, 11:47:09 AM »
Fuckin' Valve....
*shakes my head*

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #281 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 02:42:14 PM »
L4D2 on sale today at Amazon only.

$24 for PC version.
$34 for X360 version.

Spend over $25, get free shipping on Amazon.

EDIT:
Steam is selling L4D2 PC for $25 for their Mid-Week Madness (for one copy).
$74.99 for the 4-pack.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #282 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 04:21:57 PM »
Oh god....how long do the mid-week madness sales go for?  Anyone else interested?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #283 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 04:33:37 PM »
Oh god....how long do the mid-week madness sales go for?  Anyone else interested?

You got until Thursday, according to Valve's Steam site.

Midweek Madness Sale: Left 4 Dead 2 50% off
Left 4 Dead 2 is available for 50% off until Thursday at 4 PM PDT!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #284 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 06:06:09 PM »
$25? Tempting.. rather appropriate.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #285 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 07:26:52 PM »
anyone else interested in splitting the four pack?

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #286 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 07:30:29 PM »
anyone else interested in splitting the four pack?

I am. I'm not sure how I'd get the money to whoever paid for it. I've used Paypal like once, and that was on someone else's account and they did all the work for me. Also I only have $20 in my account at the moment so I can't be the buyer. :(

I should be able to easily just setup a Paypal account, right?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #287 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 08:00:44 PM »
we can worry about that later...two more?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #288 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 10:59:49 PM »
Damn, I would have been in on it with you guys but my brother just gifted it to me :D

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #289 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 11:11:51 PM »
I might do the single pack if we don't have enough in a few hours...too bad a lot of them are at the meet.  I don't really want to miss this.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #290 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 11:21:33 PM »
How much would it work out per person. About $20?

If GPW is willing to accept a paypal payment from me again, and he is the one paying for it, I am in.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #291 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 11:31:23 PM »
Works out to $18.75 per person.

I'd be willing to do the payment.  I can't really see any of you not paying.  Paypal totally works Pug.  W7re, I'm sure we can work something out.  Paypal is easy to set up, but we could do a bank transfer, or you can mail me a money order, cheque, or cash.  I'm not picky.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #292 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 11:37:03 PM »
Check your PM box.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #293 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 11:53:36 PM »
Done and done. Package is bought.  W7re, you're not on my STEAM list and I don't have your email.  If you're still in either PM me your email or add me to steam (GPW11)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 22, 2010, 02:27:47 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #297 on: Thursday, April 22, 2010, 04:25:42 PM »
The Passing is available for download, just let your Steam update L4D2.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #298 on: Thursday, April 22, 2010, 06:07:44 PM »
The Passing is available for download, just let your Steam update L4D2.

Downloading...

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #299 on: Friday, April 23, 2010, 12:56:05 AM »
Good for free DLC, paying for it would have sucked though.  Mutation seems to be the best addition.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #300 on: Friday, April 23, 2010, 05:03:47 PM »

Left 4 Dead... In Space!
Kotaku

Left 4 Dead's world is a miserable one, no? Ruins, and darkness, and more ruins, and zombies. What the game needs is a break. A break in space.

Mapper Aigik has come up with Contact, a Left 4 Dead 2 map that puts both zombies and survivors in a sci-fi setting, with fancy lighting, holograms and planetary bases. Like Metroid Prime, then, only without a suit to save you from the rotting jaw of the living dead.

You can grab it here, but be warned: in terms of both performance and zombie AI, it's not quite perfect.

My L4D2 auto updated with what was apparently that content. Cool.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #301 on: Friday, April 23, 2010, 05:09:38 PM »
Good for free DLC, paying for it would have sucked though. 
SP deserves as much new FREE content that it can get...

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #302 on: Friday, April 23, 2010, 08:36:24 PM »
SP deserves as much new FREE content that it can get.

SP...like, single-player?  Now who in the world plays SP?

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #303 on: Friday, April 23, 2010, 09:20:33 PM »

I do, sometimes. It feels more casual, in that I can pause whenever I want. I can play while half paying attention to the TV, then pause for more interesting parts of whatever I'm watching. Something is more relaxing about the ability to just stop and take a break whenever.

I used to do the same with UT and Q3 a lot, just play bot matches. I know it's less of a challenge, but it's less competitive and thus more of a relaxing experience. (obviously the competition isn't there in the L4D campaigns though)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #304 on: Friday, April 23, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »

Well, Campaign Mode, I should say - since Campaign is SP or MP Co-Op.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #305 on: Friday, April 23, 2010, 10:27:32 PM »
I do, sometimes. It feels more casual, in that I can pause whenever I want. I can play while half paying attention to the TV, then pause for more interesting parts of whatever I'm watching. Something is more relaxing about the ability to just stop and take a break whenever.

I used to do the same with UT and Q3 a lot, just play bot matches. I know it's less of a challenge, but it's less competitive and thus more of a relaxing experience. (obviously the competition isn't there in the L4D campaigns though)

I guess that makes sense.  I haven't really played any SP at all, but I can kind of imagine what you're talking about.  Although the bot AI in the game is dumb as fuck (or at least that's the impression I get when someone is idling), it could still be a decent twitch shooting experience.

Well, Campaign Mode, I should say - since Campaign is SP or MP Co-Op.

Yeah, I hear it.

Really, I would have liked to have seen more.  This is better than Crash Course for L4D1, but about the same size...maybe a tiny bit longer.  Having the old survivors there also didn't really add anything at all. They certainly could have handled that a lot better.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #306 on: Friday, April 23, 2010, 10:43:10 PM »
I'm definitely more of a singleplayer too. Even in multiplayer my preference is cooperative gameplay! hehe

SP is, as W7RE said, relaxing. It's convenient to hop into a game whenever I feel like it but MP is demanding. It needs organization and attention, Lord knows how many times I've seen people get frustrated and infuriated by the one player who's not paying much attention to the game, like being on the phone or having a conversation etc.

But you know what really "grinds my gears?" People who go online and into a game and do nothing but pick around for map exploits. These people are prevalent in L4D!! I appreciate the value of exploration and nit-picking occasionally but for the love of God do it on your own time in singleplayer mode! Geez! I have logged into so many servers where the game just doesn't go on because people are just doing stupid shit like that. I mean, play the f*'cking game!!

Sorry, I had to get that out.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #307 on: Friday, April 23, 2010, 10:46:28 PM »
Really, I would have liked to have seen more.  This is better than Crash Course for L4D1, but about the same size...maybe a tiny bit longer.  Having the old survivors there also didn't really add anything at all. They certainly could have handled that a lot better.

Also, the final mission was similar to the first episode's final mission - w/ grabbing the cans and filling something up to finish the level.

Seriously - they need new end-episode mechanics besides "fill 'er up" missions, defensive mission, and the long one straight-line run-n-gun (Ep 5, last chapter).

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #308 on: Friday, April 23, 2010, 11:25:19 PM »
Honestly, I think the endings all work pretty well.  Hell, I was content with them all being "Last Stand" end missions in the first game.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #309 on: Saturday, April 24, 2010, 01:43:37 AM »
I guess that makes sense.  I haven't really played any SP at all, but I can kind of imagine what you're talking about.  Although the bot AI in the game is dumb as fuck (or at least that's the impression I get when someone is idling), it could still be a decent twitch shooting experience.

I think it's the multiple specials at the same time, but the bots seem worse in L4D2 than in the first game. At least in the first it was just "if special grabs player, shoot special". In L4D2 you might have a jockey carrying you away, and all 3 bots are standing in spitter goo shooting at the spitter, while you get further and further away. And unlike with other players, if you die it's over and you're starting from the last safehouse.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #310 on: Saturday, April 24, 2010, 11:04:51 AM »
. And unlike with other players, if you die it's over and you're starting from the last safehouse.
Oh.  Now that is weak.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #311 on: Saturday, April 24, 2010, 01:23:57 PM »
Honestly, I think the endings all work pretty well.  Hell, I was content with them all being "Last Stand" end missions in the first game.

They might work well, but their formula is getting so repetitive....

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #312 on: Saturday, August 21, 2010, 07:03:40 AM »
Bunch of Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 news.

1.The Sacrifice DLC announced for BOTH Left 4 Dead 1 and 2.
PC version of this DLC = Free.
X360 version this DLC = 560 points ($7.00 USD).

It's a 3-map campaign, but longer than Crash Course or The Passing.
Maps are bigger and longer than ever before.
The FINALE in this campaign is big (compared to other finales) b/c it actually has THREE objectives.

3.There will be a 190 page comic book released, which will be leading up to the events of The Sacrifice DLC.

3."No Mercy" Campaign from Left 4 Dead 1 is ALSO being carried over into Left 4 Dead 2.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #313 on: Saturday, August 21, 2010, 01:29:47 PM »
The original plan was to make The Sacrifice for Left 4 Dead only. L4D2 had The Passing, and its counterpart was meant as an exclusive for the original game. Chet explains. “It’s a really fun campaign, it’s got lots of high Hunter leap points and stuff. And we said ‘You know, this would be really cool in Left 4 Dead 2. Some of these locations would be cool for the Spitter and the Charger.’ So we decided we’d release The Sacrifice not just for Left 4 Dead 1, but for Left 4 Dead 2.”

Kinda cool if you have either game (or both). I just find it interesting that it was originally intended as an exclusive for L4D.

Have we gotten over the original L4D/L4D2 fiasco? I kinda stopped caring a while back, at least since I got L4D2 for under $20. I know that contradicts my original claim "I'd only buy it for $5 or less!!" but, honestly $10~$15 is fair.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #314 on: Saturday, August 21, 2010, 01:42:34 PM »
Kinda cool if you have either game (or both). I just find it interesting that it was originally intended as an exclusive for L4D.

Have we gotten over the original L4D/L4D2 fiasco? I kinda stopped caring a while back, at least since I got L4D2 for under $20. I know that contradicts my original claim "I'd only buy it for $5 or less!!" but, honestly $10~$15 is fair.

I always thought "expansion pack pricing ($30)" would've been fair for L4D2 b/c to me, that's what it looked like to me: an expansion pack. Once I played it, my thoughts were correct - it truly doesn't feel like a sequel.

I paid $30 for L4D2 PC not too long after it came out, when GameStop had it on sale around either Black Friday or Last X-Mas 2009 - and I surely don't regret it.

I spent a good deal of time w/ that game.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #315 on: Saturday, August 21, 2010, 01:44:46 PM »
I'm over it, but this kind of stuff just shows what a clusterfuck it was. Valve did fuck over the people that bought L4D1. Sure we get this DLC, but so does L4D2. Plus L4D2 gets the most popular L4D1 campaign ported over. It would have been so much better if they had made one version of the game and focused their efforts on updating it since now they are stuck dealing with two games that aren't that different.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #316 on: Saturday, August 21, 2010, 01:59:19 PM »
I'm over it, but this kind of stuff just shows what a clusterfuck it was. Valve did fuck over the people that bought L4D1 above expansion pack pricing ($30).
There - I think that looks better. ;P

Sure we get this DLC, but so does L4D2. Plus L4D2 gets the most popular L4D1 campaign ported over. It would have been so much better if they had made one version of the game and focused their efforts on updating it since now they are stuck dealing with two games that aren't that different.
Bingo.

I think L4D gaming community would've been MUCH happier if L4D2 was released instead as a L4D1 Expansion Pack priced at expansion pack pricing ($30).

We've had other games that have been expansion packs that have completed overhauled the original game's engine and whatnot to major lengths - why couldn't Valve do this w/ L4D series?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #317 on: Saturday, August 21, 2010, 03:22:11 PM »
They really could have saved a lot of trouble if L4D2 was just a free update for all owners of the original L4D.

In my case, I'm not all that wound up because my total expenditure on both games is about $30 (for myself) though I did initially buy 3 copies of the original L4D.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #318 on: Sunday, August 22, 2010, 09:59:26 AM »
They really could have saved a lot of trouble if L4D2 was just a free update for all owners of the original L4D.

In my case, I'm not all that wound up because my total expenditure on both games is about $30 (for myself) though I did initially buy 3 copies of the original L4D.

You know something, X?

I would so NOT be surprised if eventually, Valve winds up porting all the L4D1 content into L4D2 - I mean hell, they're already moving No Mercy over.

And we know Valve has moved HL1 over to Source w/ HL: Source....

*shrug*

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #319 on: Sunday, August 22, 2010, 10:07:15 AM »
Whats funny is after this next update, they pretty much will have done that. The hardest thing to do would be to get the original cast of characters into L4D2, which Valve is now doing for the No Mercy port. All the original campaigns have already been ported to L4D2 by the community. So once this update hits there won't be much of a reason to buy or play L4D1 anymore.