Author Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow -> Update - Ultimate Edition for PC in August  (Read 5666 times)

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: Castlevania: Lord of Shadow announced for X360 and PS3 for 2010
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, June 03, 2009, 05:20:00 PM »
Some of the screenshots look neat, but its way too early to tell much of anything right now.  I know a bunch of people are going to bitch about the 3D aspect of the game, but maybe the new developer can do something good with it.  I hope this turns out good.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, June 03, 2009, 07:07:51 PM »
People are also going to say "Oh noes, Jericho was such shit!" but don't listen to them.  I think that game was way, way better than it was made out to be.  Not perfect, but it had a lot of really cool elements that most consumers and reviewers overlooked *completely*.  I suspect other outside circumstances may have hurt the game ultimately, because what was there was pretty solid and shouldn't have gotten bashed the way it did.  I think working on a big title like this could be a great thing for that team, give them a little extra guidance and possibly a chance to shine.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Dragonlor

• Nii-San!
« Reply #3 on: Friday, June 05, 2009, 07:14:16 AM »
I might actually want to try playing this game.  I honestly don't like side scroll games.  only ones i have been able to play like that are the Mario games.  I'm to new to the game world to get into that old of a style.  So if it turns out to be good and belmont buys it I might give it a shot myself.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Friday, June 05, 2009, 09:57:03 AM »
This one won't be side-scrolling though. It's more akin to God of War.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: Friday, June 05, 2009, 06:05:58 PM »
So I watched the trailer and while I think it actually looks pretty cool, but very little in there strikes me as something obviously from Castlevania save for the chain whip. That really isn't a bad thing, but when why bother calling it Castlevania? Idol told me that it really didn't even started as a Castlevania game and it was simply called that later, which is kind of sad to me. We're really at the point where it not only takes an established name for recognition, but appear as a reboot as well because apparently people are claiming to be tired of the same old stuff. At least, I'm assuming this is what publishers are thinking (look at all the reboots and remakes lately).

But yeah, the same itself actually seems pretty cool. It's even more strange that Kojima is involved.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, April 10, 2010, 07:59:08 AM »
My turn to pull a D.

According to this joystiq blurb, not only was Lords of Shadow always meant to be a Castlevania game, but it was also meant to be a remake of the original game, complete with Simon Belmont.  One of the links within that explains that it was Konami's cold feet that had the game introduced simply as Lords of Shadow (without "Castlevania" in the title) at Games Convention 2008.  Apparently, it's looking pretty good.  Hope the gameplay lives up to the in-game visuals demoed.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, April 10, 2010, 08:07:26 AM »
My turn to pull a D.
See, I knew my "resurrection of thread" gimmick would catch-on! :P

According to this joystiq blurb, not only was Lords of Shadow always meant to be a Castlevania game, but it was also meant to be a remake of the original game, complete with Simon Belmont.  One of the links within that explains that it was Konami's cold feet that had the game introduced simply as Lords of Shadow (without "Castlevania" in the title) at Games Convention 2008.  Apparently, it's looking pretty good.  Hope the gameplay lives up to the in-game visuals demoed.
Really? Now that's really interesting - that it was originally planned to be a CV1 Remake w/ Simon and all.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, August 19, 2010, 02:53:12 PM »
So the game finally has a release date of October 2nd!  I'm really looking forward to this, the gameplay footage they've shown so far looks pretty awesome so I'll definitely be getting it.

The limited edition looks pretty awesome too.  It comes with an artbook and soundtrack if you order it at Amazon or Gamestop, but Gamestop is throwing in a free T-shirt as well.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: Friday, September 17, 2010, 11:27:31 AM »
New pretty bad ass trailer.

It's done in total Kojima style, which means fairly long and shows a whole lot of movie/cutscene stuff. Seems pretty heavy-handed, but in a way I can get behind.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Friday, September 17, 2010, 05:00:46 PM »
That's some impressive FMV.  Too bad I have no idea what the game plays like after watching all 7+ minutes of it.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #11 on: Friday, September 17, 2010, 05:36:31 PM »
From the previous videos it looks like the game will play a lot like God of War/Devil May Cry with a touch of Zelda. Kinda like Darksiders.

Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to it.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 11:43:50 AM »
Demo is out on PSN Store! Get it now!

It's about 1.5GB.. God I haven't been so anxious about a game in a while!

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 12:29:27 PM »
Not on XBL yet.  Damn.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 01:31:10 PM »
Demo is out on PSN Store! Get it now!

It's about 1.5GB.. God I haven't been so anxious about a game in a while!

Seriously?  I just checked and can't find it anywhere on there....are you sure its for this game?  I just checked XBL and PSN.

EDIT:  Looks like it was only released on the European PSN update this week for some reason, fuck, I was really wanting to play it too.  I've got it preordered and can't wait to jump into it.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 02:48:23 PM »
Yea, apparently the demo is europe only.

There's an 11 minute "launch trailer" up here on GiantBomb. More of an explanation of what all is in the game than a trailer. Like it talks about the platforming for a bit, the combat for a bit, the puzzle for a bit, etc. I haven't really seen much on this game yet, but this 11 minute video makes me really want to check it out. Sounds like God of War (combat) meets Tomb Raider (puzzles) meets ???? (platforming) with some Shadow of the Colossus (climbing giants). I'm every interested.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: Monday, October 04, 2010, 03:49:05 PM »
Demo is up on Xbox Live, apparently not on PSN (not sure if it's coming or not, apparently PSN updates on Tuesdays? So maybe tomorrow.)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 09:53:01 AM »
Let's play Castlevania!  . . .  Uh, no.  Let's watch a movie.  Ooh, pretty!  Pop some corn, have a drink . . oh, I need to pick up the controller now?  Ah, tour guide will tell me which buttons to press and when.  Right stick is useless; can't spin view around.  The game knows best what I should be looking at and which button I should press.  Got it.  X, Y, oh, RT now, B.  And . . . oh, watch more movie.  Popcorn time again.  Wow, big beast.  Scary!  Never fear.  My friendly tour guide will tell me what to press and when.  Can't whip this guy to death.  Oh, no.  He's too big for that.  X, RT, LT, this, that.  Oops!  That's what I get for not paying attention to my guide.  Try that sequence of buttons again.  It's the only way to see what comes next.  Yes!  I can watch more movie now.  Popcorn's getting low.  Should I pop more?  No!  Time to ride a horse.  All right!  I get to gallop through the forest, leading my horse through . . . oh, no I don't.  My horse only carries me where he wants to.  Which buttons do I press now?  Only X and Y, got it.  X, X, X, Y, Y, X, X . . .  Cutscene!  Short one this time.  Look at that big log.  Oh, it's a magical log that keeps my 10-foot-jumping supernatural character from getting past it.  Quite a log, that one.  Oh, I see.  I have to whip overgrown wolves until the tour guide decides I've whipped enough to let me see what comes next.  And we're walking, we're walking . . .

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 10:03:57 AM »
You know, I used to complain a lot about the QTEs in God of War 1, but at least they were mixed into gameplay heavy portions of the game. I don't know about the rest of the game, but the Castlevania demo does have an awful lot of sitting and watching. I remember seeing that the demo is over 1.5GB, then I also remember there only being about 5 minutes of gameplay in theit wasn't until cobra's post that I really put the two together.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 10:15:02 AM »
I realize there's still hope that the game lets loose of you after intros and tutorials.  But the whole heavy-handed philosophy I've witnesses so far (in trailers & the demo) does not inspire much confidence about getting traditional Castlevania gameplay freedom eventually.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 10:23:28 AM »
Haha, that was great Cobra.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, October 06, 2010, 01:56:10 AM »
I just finished the first chapter and its been great so far, the boss fight for the end of chapter 1 was pretty awesome.  I would be playing more tonight, but I just pulled a fucking 12 hour shift at work and I'm exhausted so I'll be diving much more into this during my next two days off from work.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, October 09, 2010, 02:27:46 AM »
This game is pretty fucking awesome guys, I'm on chapter 8 right now and its been epic as hell.  This is definitely a Castlevania game.  Also, as far as Cobra's and W7RE's experience went with the demo, it's only the first few levels of the first chapter that has a lot of cutscenes and smaller levels with not a ton of gameplay.  After the first chapter the game opens up and the levels have a lot more to them, especially after chapter 3.  Chapters 5-8 have been a fucking blast so far, especially some of the boss battles.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Castlevania: Lord of Shadow [X360, PS3]
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, October 21, 2010, 10:28:10 PM »
I picked this up as well.  Going to try to finish Enslaved first, but then will try to jump in.  Looking forward to it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, November 14, 2010, 02:24:57 AM »
Well holy crap that got pretty crazy in the end.

So, I feel like this was a pretty great game in the end. It gets off to a bumpy start, has story story and gameplay issues, but it's got a lot of substance and omph. Most impressively it pulls off this feeling of melancholy throughout the game, despite the big loud gameplay and far reaching story, that'll stick with me for a while. The game just hit me in a way stuff like this usually don't even bother trying to. Honestly, it's similar to how I felt coming away from Shadow of the Colossus. That's not to say Lords of Shadow is quite up to that level, but it's still quite good. By the end you really feel like you've been dragged through a giant quest and lost much in the process.

I have this feeling that Lords of Shadow ended up not doing very well, which is a shame. It really ended up being something unique and is quite an accomplishment. As a re-imagining of Castlevania, I like it. It takes a lot of the imagery associated with the series and added a sense of weight to it while clearly becoming it's own beast. It's near the point where it should be its own thing, but it still fits. I think a lot of people are forgetting that Castlevania existed long before Symphony of the Night came out and are knocking Lords of Shadow for looking further back in the series roots for inspiration. Again, that's a shame. Hopefully the game will prove to be successful given enough time; the folks behind it deserve some success.

Edit: Oh yeah, special mention. This game has a fucking awesome soundtrack. It's a large part of why I think the game is going to stick with me for a while.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #25 on: Monday, November 15, 2010, 12:48:15 AM »
I have this feeling that Lords of Shadow ended up not doing very well, which is a shame.

Actually, I think it did well enough because Mercury Steam has already announced they are working on the second one.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #26 on: Monday, November 15, 2010, 01:15:34 AM »
I've finally started it! Just finished the first chapter and I'm loving it!

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: Monday, November 15, 2010, 07:55:45 AM »
Actually, I think it did well enough because Mercury Steam has already announced they are working on the second one.

Sweet. I'm glad I'm wrong on that one. While they more or less closed the story up, they also setup for a sequel that could get into some crazy stuff. I'm actually not sure if I would be happy to see them pursue that line, but I can't really say more without giving away the ending. It was cool in the context of the game, but as the context for a new one it could get stupid.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, November 17, 2010, 06:44:21 AM »
Ha, I just came across a reference to Portal!
(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow -> Update - C:LOS found in Steam registry (3-18-13)
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, June 05, 2013, 03:45:22 PM »
Destructoid -> Castlevania: LOS - Ultimate Edition hitting PC this August 27th.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, the most successful Castlevania game in the franchise (I still can't believe that), is coming to the PC in August. It's being released digitally on August 27th and physically (on August 30th in Europe), and will contain both DLC packs, as well as "enhanced 1080p HD graphics" a 60 FPS framerate, and cloud saving.

While I enjoyed MercurySteam's take on the franchise for what it is, I should note that this is probably the perfect $10 Steam sale game for prospective buyers and action fans alike. Just be sure and bring a controller.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow -> Update - Ultimate Edition for PC in August
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, June 05, 2013, 04:08:40 PM »
I would say it's worth way more than that $10. The game got a lot of flak, but almost everyone I know who stuck with it came out with a high opinion of the game.