Author Topic: Battlefield 3 -> Update: BF3 Close Quarters DLC = FREE on all platforms for E3  (Read 29890 times)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: Battlefield 3 -> Update: PC Gamer delaying BF3 review b/c of connection issues
« Reply #120 on: Tuesday, October 25, 2011, 10:54:16 AM »
Interesting discovery. When Origin is in Offline mode the game launches into an in-game main menu for the singleplayer!

The game puts a shortcut to bf3.exe onto your desktop. If you add -sp to that, it'll do the same thing. (or so I've heard, I haven't tried it)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Battlefield 3 -> Update: PC Gamer delaying BF3 review b/c of connection issues
« Reply #121 on: Tuesday, October 25, 2011, 09:11:14 PM »
Destrictoid -> BF3 PC Review - 7.5/10.

Basically, in short, Jim Sterling says:
The SP is not that good and it is very short [4 hours or so]
The Co-Op is nothing special, either.
He hates Battlelog and thinks it's "by far one of the worst ideas in videogame history."
The MP is really good and worth the price alone.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #122 on: Tuesday, October 25, 2011, 09:39:15 PM »
Battlelog?  What the fuck? Facebook for the game?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #123 on: Tuesday, October 25, 2011, 11:00:58 PM »
So far I like the SP, though it's very clearly influenced by COD:MW. The story is not spectacular but the SP serves as a pretty decent and entertaining training sequence.

Battlelog is retarded. Its format absolutely redundant and it makes no sense that it wasn't implemented directly into the game. Yes, it's functional but it feels like the result of cutting corners and lazy design i.e. "Man, why should we reprogram this to work in the game when people can just visit the site? Gawd!"

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #124 on: Wednesday, October 26, 2011, 06:42:34 AM »
GameSpot - 8.5/10 for PC Version, reviewed by Chris Watters.

Video review.
Written review.

The Good
    Deep and varied multiplayer competition 
    Awesome array of vehicles 
    Many gorgeous environments 
    Rewards teamwork handsomely.

The Bad
    Campaign is disappointing and dull 
    Only six cooperative missions 
    No way to practice jet flight outside of multiplayer.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #125 on: Wednesday, October 26, 2011, 07:41:13 AM »
Destrictoid -> BF3 PC Review - 7.5/10.

Basically, in short, Jim Sterling says:
The SP is not that good and it is very short [4 hours or so]
The Co-Op is nothing special, either.
He hates Battlelog and thinks it's "by far one of the worst ideas in videogame history."
The MP is really good and worth the price alone.

Exactly what I expected, and the reason I've been ignoring it.  I'm sad to see I wasn't wrong in doing so.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #127 on: Wednesday, October 26, 2011, 10:49:29 PM »
I'm having a ton of fun with the game. I also haven't touched SP yet. Been playing it during most of my free time since release.

Yes, Battlelog is shit. I haven't have a lot of problems playing because of it, but it's still a pain in the ass. It's an unneeded layer build on top of Origin (which itself is an unneeded layer). I like how when someone opens Origin, I get a popup telling me, then when they open Battlelog, that tells me they're online too. I'm not even sure the 64 player battles make it worth dealing with Origin and Battlelog, and I still wish I had gottent he game on Xbox. It was a gift from someone who wanted me to play with them on PC though, so I can't really complain when it was free.

I did co-op once, but didn't like it much. It was like horde mode from Gears of War, but with less room to move around. We failed the mission because an enemy armor vehicle drove up to and right past the line of NPC HUM-V's. As soon as he drove past them, the mission was over. So basically we're tryign to hide out of line of sight of these dozens of guys coming at us, and then have to stop everything and take out the tanks/vehicles when they come or they just drive non stop toward your back line, and letting that happen is an instant loss.

So if you strip out the SP, the co-op, Battlelog, Origin, and just look at the MP game by itself, it's amazing.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #128 on: Thursday, October 27, 2011, 12:47:46 AM »
Yeah, I agree with you that the game is pretty awesome, but Origin and Battlelog are ruining it. I bought a new rig a few weeks ago for this game (and The Old Republic). The game looks amazing. But how can you launch your flagship title from a fucking website? And a broken one at that. It's like they wanted to implement social networking with their fucking game. That makes no sense. It's broken. I've been using it the past two days to get people to play and no one has any idea where anything is at on the website. And when we figure that out we are booted from the game. WE JUST WANT TO PLAY.

Everything about this is broken. If this catches on, PC gaming is fucked. This is like an angry Steam that wants to fuck you and doesnt work as well.

But the game is fun as hell so I endure. I feel like a whore.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #129 on: Thursday, October 27, 2011, 01:45:39 AM »
Yeah, I agree with you that the game is pretty awesome, but Origin and Battlelog are ruining it. I bought a new rig a few weeks ago for this game (and The Old Republic). The game looks amazing. But how can you launch your flagship title from a fucking website? And a broken one at that. It's like they wanted to implement social networking with their fucking game. That makes no sense. It's broken. I've been using it the past two days to get people to play and no one has any idea where anything is at on the website. And when we figure that out we are booted from the game. WE JUST WANT TO PLAY.

Everything about this is broken. If this catches on, PC gaming is fucked. This is like an angry Steam that wants to fuck you and doesnt work as well.

But the game is fun as hell so I endure. I feel like a whore.
Yep. I had a little bit of experience from the beta but it's no excuse to force this steaming pile on us.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #130 on: Wednesday, November 02, 2011, 05:04:51 PM »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #131 on: Thursday, November 03, 2011, 07:47:39 AM »
That's the best news about this game I've read yet.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #132 on: Tuesday, November 15, 2011, 02:26:37 PM »
3 weeks after release, and the game still has issues. It's also still a pain in the ass just to get into a game. If I want to play, here's what I have to do:

1) Start > services > disable Avast! (doing so through Avast won't work, I have to disable the service. Leaving Avast on breaks Battlelog)
2) Turn on my Xbox controller (if I don't, the game won't recognize it, and plane/helicopter controls are terrible on a m/kb)
3) Run Origin
4) Open Battlelog
5) form a party
6) invite people to party
7) find server and party join
8) 1 of the 3 of us doesn't get in and has to manually join that server (assuming there's still room at this point)
9) Game crashes while loading and you start over from #7
10) Spend 5 minutes trying to get onto the same team, and into the same squad

EDIT: oh, and 2 maps in, it randomly switches one of my friends to the other team for balancing.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 15, 2011, 03:08:00 PM by W7RE »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #133 on: Saturday, March 10, 2012, 11:07:53 PM »
I got my free copy as part of the Origin Mass Effect 3 deal and....well, the system they're using (Battlelog) sucks balls.  Like amazingly so.  I can't just launch the game? Why the fuck are you trying to reinvent the wheel into a shittier, more annoying wheel?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #134 on: Sunday, March 11, 2012, 12:29:21 AM »
I got my free copy as part of the Origin Mass Effect 3 deal and....well, the system they're using (Battlelog) sucks balls.  Like amazingly so.  I can't just launch the game? Why the fuck are you trying to reinvent the wheel into a shittier, more annoying wheel?

EA/DICE: Introducing the Square Wheel. It's better! Look how flat it is!
Everybody: Uh, it doesn't roll.
EA/DICE: It's doesn't need to roll! It's better!
Everybody: Wha?!
Facebook user: Yay more Facebooky games!!

Yeah, it sucks a lot but for some reason they're hell-bent on forcing it down our throats. Even though they already designed an in-game system for use in the consoles.

BF3 is one game where it's clear that DICE made sure the engine was very PC-oriented in terms of performance and quality but they didn't touch the UI. It's exactly the same as the console versions. Instead, DICE focused all their UI efforts into this Battlelog bullcrap.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Battlefield 3 -> Update: Close Quarters DLC previews and info
« Reply #135 on: Wednesday, March 14, 2012, 12:56:49 AM »
I'm still amazed at how silly it is in concept and execution.  Also ,the game has the same hard lock problem with Realtek onboard audio drivers as Bad Company 2 had.  Greeeat job DICE.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #136 on: Wednesday, March 14, 2012, 01:10:17 AM »
I'm still amazed at how silly it is in concept and execution.  Also ,the game has the same hard lock problem with Realtek onboard audio drivers as Bad Company 2 had.  Greeeat job DICE.
Yeah.. Really shitty deal. I solved it (or rather worked around it) by buying an external USB sound card.

One especially annoying feature of Battlelog is the party (and chat sessions). You don't see them in game at all. If you're invited to a party by a friend or sent an invite to join a match you'll never know if you're in the game. You have to alt-tab out or find out after you quit. It is undeniably one of the most profoundly stupid decisions in game UI history.

Bear in mind, I don't have a problem with Battlelog as a site. It is the best progress log and "social box" in the Battlefield series, arguably the best among all games. It is NOT a viable game interface nor is it even a worthy replacement for a simple game launcher. It doesn't do better than a proper in-game server browser either. It's just a mess. Not to mention all the extra background services that need to run for it to work: browser, browser plugin, SONAR, and of course Origin. If it was all reduced to just Origin, and used all of Origin's features i.e. friend list, invites, in-game overlay and browser, it would have been more palatable and perhaps more useful.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #137 on: Wednesday, March 14, 2012, 06:30:39 AM »

By hard lock, I assume you mean the system stops responding, needing a hardware reset.  I think I've mentioned this before.  Under the NT branch of Windows (NT, 2K, XP, Vista, 7), the system can't hard lock because of anything that happens at the application-code level.  It can only be caused by something that runs at the kernel level, such as drivers.  So unless the game is installing new drivers, the fault for a hard lock is probably Realtek's.  The worst that the game code could do is give you no sound.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #138 on: Wednesday, March 14, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
You have mentioned that before, actually.  Changing my views:   fuck you Realtek.  But I have no idea why this only happens with these two games.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #139 on: Wednesday, March 14, 2012, 11:02:54 AM »
It's weird. On my old ASUS (with the on-board Realtek audio) it only happens with Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3 as well. The system locks up with a looping sound.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #140 on: Wednesday, March 14, 2012, 11:15:45 PM »
Yeah, it seems everything I've read leads to the same thing:  Realtek audio, only happens with these DICE games. Hardware issue for sure, but no idea why nothing else sets it off.

Happened to me again tonight.  Still thinking about whether or not I want to drop 20-30 on a cheap soundcard for this one game.   I mean, it doesn't run great on my c2d e6750 anyways, and I got it for free.   

BUT DAMN THESE GAMES ARE FUN.   arrgh.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #141 on: Wednesday, March 21, 2012, 08:30:37 PM »
If anyone wants to play, I'm ZenAgain10 on Origin.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #142 on: Wednesday, March 21, 2012, 10:51:09 PM »
If anyone wants to play, I'm ZenAgain10 on Origin.

Is that origin or Battlelog?  They're different, right?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #143 on: Thursday, March 22, 2012, 01:15:27 AM »
Is that origin or Battlelog?  They're different, right?
Ridiculously, they are different.

Unlike Mass Effect 3, your Origin Friend list is the same as your Battlelog, even though the usernames are exactly the same. So if you search for ZenAgain10 on Origin you'll find him, but you'll still have to find and add him again on Battlelog in order to track each other and play together. It's counterproductive and involves a lot of redundant repetition.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #144 on: Thursday, March 22, 2012, 02:01:25 AM »
As much as I dislike Origin, I really, *REALLY* hate Battlelog.

And gpw, it looks like you haven't played much at all. We should hop on sometime in the next week or so and I will show you the ropes.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #145 on: Thursday, March 22, 2012, 02:05:35 AM »
I just bought this during the sale so I'll be up for some games, Origin name is PyroMenace.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #146 on: Thursday, March 22, 2012, 06:25:37 AM »
Awesoooome! I'll add you guys once I get home.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #147 on: Thursday, March 22, 2012, 10:23:47 AM »
As much as I dislike Origin, I really, *REALLY* hate Battlelog.

And gpw, it looks like you haven't played much at all. We should hop on sometime in the next week or so and I will show you the ropes.

Done.  I just got it free with Mass Effect 3 so I haven't put much into it at all. I did end up dropping $20 on an Audigy so that the game would stop crashing, but now I've been having connection problems, hopefully temporarily. 

But I'm totally down.  I need to level up to unlock some more scope/weapons.  Iron sights are fine, but I don't really like the 4x and would love a red dot scope like I used to tear it up with in Bad Company 2.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #148 on: Thursday, March 22, 2012, 02:09:49 PM »
What I love about BF3's gun upgrades is they don't give you a "stat edge" over your opponents i.e. increase gun damage, increase armor, etc. They improve preferential things like stability and sights. They're geared towards the player's usage and skill rather than arbitrary damage stats.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #149 on: Thursday, March 22, 2012, 09:22:36 PM »
I just bought this during the sale so I'll be up for some games, Origin name is PyroMenace.

Install that mofo. You're not coming up on *grumble* Battlelog.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #150 on: Friday, March 23, 2012, 12:03:53 PM »
I should be on now, so you can send the invites.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #151 on: Friday, March 23, 2012, 10:45:04 PM »
K, I got three of you added (gpw, x and pyro). Which is really convenient for a squad. :P

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #152 on: Sunday, March 25, 2012, 10:39:48 PM »
We gotta get a game going soon!

Btw, anybody been experiencing major lag and connectivity issues lately? Seems to be happening only in EA games for me so far (BF3, ME3, Syndicate).

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #153 on: Monday, March 26, 2012, 05:01:34 PM »
Yes, for the connectivity issues at least.  Although the only games I've been playing online have been ME3 and BF3, so Just assumed it was something on my end.  Annoying as hell in ME3, because you lose all your xp/gold from that match.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #154 on: Saturday, June 09, 2012, 02:10:15 PM »
Well, Battlefield 3 Premium is available. Basically it's BF3 + all DLC packs and some access to premium events. For ~$51 I could not feel more shafted.

Way to go EA, alienate your early adopters, especially those who already shelled out the extra bucks for the "Limited Edition." They should have at least arranged a special for people who already own BF3, even a simple gesture like a discount "get 30% off if you already own Battlefield 3."

Tempted as I am, I think I've already spent enough on BF3 unless the expansion goes on sale. I expect DeMartini will have something to say about that.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #155 on: Saturday, June 09, 2012, 03:22:29 PM »
Well, Battlefield 3 Premium is available. Basically it's BF3 + all DLC packs and some access to premium events. For ~$51 I could not feel more shafted.

Way to go EA, alienate your early adopters, especially those who already shelled out the extra bucks for the "Limited Edition." They should have at least arranged a special for people who already own BF3, even a simple gesture like a discount "get 30% off if you already own Battlefield 3."

Tempted as I am, I think I've already spent enough on BF3 unless the expansion goes on sale. I expect DeMartini will have something to say about that.

So yeah, when's the BF3 Ultimate Edition coming? :-x

I really am growing tired of DLC milking, Season Passes for DLC [especially before the entire DLC set is done], and any other sort of micro-transaction schemes.
I don't mind spending $ for more content, it's just - DLC is often so POORLY priced.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #156 on: Saturday, June 09, 2012, 11:00:05 PM »
I would be really tempted to get BF Premium... if I had the Xbox version instead of the PC version.

The PC version ran bad, but playable for me. I had to turn just about everything all the way down. Back to Karkand is sub 10 fps almost all the time, and unplayable. I pretty much stopped playing not because I grew tired of the game, but because it just doesn't run well enough on my aging system. What bugs me is not that the game ran bad, but that there was such a drop in performance form the core game to BtK.

I'd just buy the Xbox version, but I hate buying a game I already own.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #157 on: Saturday, June 09, 2012, 11:54:36 PM »
I would be really tempted to get BF Premium... if I had the Xbox version instead of the PC version.

The PC version ran bad, but playable for me. I had to turn just about everything all the way down. Back to Karkand is sub 10 fps almost all the time, and unplayable. I pretty much stopped playing not because I grew tired of the game, but because it just doesn't run well enough on my aging system. What bugs me is not that the game ran bad, but that there was such a drop in performance form the core game to BtK.

I'd just buy the Xbox version, but I hate buying a game I already own.
Wouldn't have been so simple if you could just sell your PC version? But no, it's permanently tied to your account! EA's victory over second-hand sales.

The performance drops between the base game and B2K is most likely due to B2K's destructible environments; they've added so much more physics to the maps compared to the base game.

DLC pricing schemes are pretty messed up. Basically EA are asking players to pay the game's price over again just to get the DLC! Whereas someone who didn't buy the game will be getting BF3 + all the extra content at no extra charge! WTF!!

To counter DeMartini's comments on the other thread: Now EA is discouraging players from adopting their games early because there will be no discounts and they will be inevitably screwed in the end when EA releases a comprehensive edition that early adopters will have to pay for. EA is actively alienating its player base.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #158 on: Monday, June 11, 2012, 01:54:07 AM »
Wouldn't have been so simple if you could just sell your PC version? But no, it's permanently tied to your account! EA's victory over second-hand sales.

I was going to complain about that, but if it had been on Steam it would be tied to that. If it hadn't been on a service, it would have likely had a CD Key and still might not be resellable.

DLC pricing schemes are pretty messed up. Basically EA are asking players to pay the game's price over again just to get the DLC! Whereas someone who didn't buy the game will be getting BF3 + all the extra content at no extra charge! WTF!!

Yea, $50 for 5 DLCs. I paid $30 for 4 with Gears of War 3. And actually, anyone who bought BF3 on launch already had Back to Karkand, so you're really only getting 4 pieces of DLC for $50.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #159 on: Friday, September 21, 2012, 06:28:23 PM »
I haven't touched the MP yet.

Anyways, been playing the SP. Somewhere around 4-5 hours into it. The shootouts and combat is great (as expected), but the storyline feels like it's COD: MW games (namely COD4:MW + MW2) - but with a few little different twists & turns, here and there. I wish the characters & storytelling was more interesting and had more meat to it than it does it is - but, it's serviceable enough for (this kind of) a shooter.

I must say - the game looks and runs great, though. Wow - just wow...Stunning.

Anyways, I'm gonna keep playing...