Author Topic: Batman: Arkham Asylum getting stellar reviews...  (Read 12738 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Batman: Arkham Asylum getting stellar reviews...
« Reply #40 on: Sunday, September 27, 2009, 03:56:28 AM »
You know what else the PC version just got?  Some fucking error that won't let me access my save games. See, when I installed the game I just started playing right away and didn't set my live settings because fuck it, I never do that and it always works.  So, I try to play when I got home tonight and my save games are gone. This has happened before and it's just been a case of the game starting up in the wrong profile for whatever reason. So, I open up the Live menu and try to load up my profile and nothing. Connection problem or something, but that doesn't matter...what does is doing that reminds me that I was playing on an automatically set up offline profile because my internet was out when I installed the game..... an offline profile which is now fucking nowhere to be found. Grrrrreat. 

This could be a computer problem, but still - fuck you Windows Live.  I even kind of liked you up until this point. Now there is a small chance that my memory is just wrong and my saves might be linked to my Live! account, but none of my achievements are so I really doubt it.  This is the first time I've ever dealt with a save file corruption of some sort.  What a pain in the ass....I don't want to go through the first half of the game again.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #41 on: Sunday, September 27, 2009, 04:38:19 AM »
what does is doing that reminds me that I was playing on an automatically set up offline profile because my internet was out when I installed the game..... an offline profile which is now fucking nowhere to be found. Grrrrreat.

This could be a computer problem, but still - fuck you Windows Live.

Man this happened to me with Gears of War PC. It was so absurd because I was halfway through the game and just couldn't be bothered to play it again. It was the exact same problem with the GFW live crap.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #42 on: Sunday, September 27, 2009, 05:22:52 AM »
Yep, that irritated the shit out of me. The problem I had inititally was with Fallout 3. Then I found the folder where the offline profile was saved and all I had to do was move its contents to the online profile's folder.

It was easier to find with FO3 because of the way the game stores the saves (the filename just uses your character name and the date of the save).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #43 on: Sunday, September 27, 2009, 06:12:53 AM »
WTF @ GFWL w/ the online and offline profiles bullcrap again.
That crap just shouldn't exist for SP-based games -- FO3, Batman: AA, and GOW PC (SP portion).

EDIT:
The point of SP portions is to be able to play these ALONE and OFFLINE -- so, that's how the saves should work; whether you're online or offline. Shouldn't freakin' matter.

If all these saves are say linked to some G4WL Achievements, when you say decide to hop online to G4WL, it should be up to you to click some button to "Upload Your Achievements to G4WL Account" so that these Achievements you made get uploaded to G4WL Online OR there should be some setting so you can allow G4WL to look at your in-game Achievements whenever you hop online so its post the ones you finished for you.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #44 on: Sunday, September 27, 2009, 09:01:25 AM »
I actually ended up getting a hacked live.dll that prevents GFWL from loading. Fallout 3 works perfectly but will crash to desktop if you push the LIVE menu entry in the main menu. Basically you always play from the offline profile.

It seems to work with some other titles too but obviously it forfeits online multiplayer options, however some titles just crash while booting up.

If you think it might help you search for Timeslip's Live Fix.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #45 on: Sunday, September 27, 2009, 02:50:21 PM »
I'll check that out.  This is a REALLY good game, and it's not like playing through the start again would be UNBEARABLE, but why bother if it's just going to happen again?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #46 on: Sunday, September 27, 2009, 03:38:42 PM »
Can't you just run a cheat and skip your way to the level where you were?

My copy of the game hasn't come in the mail yet, so I don't know how it works, or if there even are "levels"...

I'll have to find a way to do a manual back up, because I don't want this to happen to me again. This GFWL problem ruined Gears PC for me.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #47 on: Sunday, September 27, 2009, 11:55:44 PM »
I finished up the campaign and the riddles tonight.  Phenomenal game.  Time for some challenge maps. 

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #48 on: Monday, October 05, 2009, 01:57:46 PM »
This game has started really well. Enjoying it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #49 on: Monday, October 05, 2009, 02:01:11 PM »
This game has started really well. Enjoying it.

Did you get the G4WL issues straightened out, bro?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #50 on: Monday, October 05, 2009, 02:36:38 PM »
No the client keeps crashing and I can't even post on the G4F forums. Whenever I try, it asks me to set a "gamertag" first, which I already have.

There is tremendous neglect for the G4WL thing. If you search G4WL client on google, the first few hits are about people with the same problem as myself.

Anyway the game runs fine... I just have trouble when I try to activate all the extra content which came with the CE.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #51 on: Monday, October 05, 2009, 03:39:16 PM »
No the client keeps crashing and I can't even post on the G4F forums. Whenever I try, it asks me to set a "gamertag" first, which I already have.

There is tremendous neglect for the G4WL thing. If you search G4WL client on google, the first few hits are about people with the same problem as myself.
That's crazy....

Anyway the game runs fine... I just have trouble when I try to activate all the extra content which came with the CE.

Wait...
Batman: AA PC has a Collector's Ed?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #52 on: Monday, October 05, 2009, 04:25:59 PM »
Yea UK only.

Totally not worth it though. Everything feels really cheap. Eidos really screwed people on it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Batman-Arkham-Asylum-Collectors-DVD/dp/B00272NH1S

Cost me about 80 bucks and felt like a rip off. Unfortunately it didn't have the leather book from the console editions either...

You can read some reviews here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Batman-Arkham-Asylum-Collectors-Xbox/dp/B00272NH1I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1254784640&sr=1-2

First off, let me just say that Arkham Asylum is one of the best games I've played in a very long time. But this review is going to skip completely over that and just concentrate on the Collector's Edition box set. The game itself should be getting 5 stars everywhere!

Now, the boxset -

The Batarang-
Oh, we had so many high hopes for this. After first being told that a batarang was shipping with collector's edition, we all had images of harassing siblings, explaining about the damaged furniture and winning any game of "Knifey Spoony" that you may happen to fall into. All the images on the boxes originally showed a nice slim metal curved blade, shaped in a the familiar bat symbol. So what do we get? A cheap plastic 14" batarang on a stand. Now let me just point out that if it wasn't for the size of this, you would expect to get something of the same quality with a happy meal. It looks and feels tacky, and is incredibly scratched up. This is a common feature with the new "EIDOS HAPPY MEAL BATARANG", as the moulds used were rubbish and everyone pretty much ended up with a cheap plastic batarang, that looked like it had been dragged across a road for about a mile. I really cannot tell you how utterly disappointed I am with this!

"Crime Alley" DLC map-
Great if it works, but EIDOS have acknowledged that a lot of the codes that were sent out with the CE of Arkham Asylum, don't work. I'll let you know what I think when they eventually get mine working!

Digipack sleeve packaging-
A big mistake to make! When people get their lovely Collector's Editions of games, they usually take out the game (in a standard or tin box) and add it with the rest of their collections. However, good luck doing that with this! Again, a cheap cardboard packaging used to house the game and the DVD. This is the sort of thing you would find pre 2000 ISP discs. It's also a lot smaller and very easy to damage, so be careful.

Behind the Scenes DVD-
Not too shabby as it goes, but this alone cannot revive a Collectors Edition from Hell!

Arkham Doctor's Journal-
Great toilet reading material for all of 10 minutes.

All in all, I would recommend to anyone that has actually read through this review, to google the Europe Collectors Edition (not the US edition that comes with leather bound game holder, or batarang case), to read into how poor the CE is and to daydream about beating the EIDOS Marketing team with a £2 batarang that your 5 year old nephew should have got with his happy meal!

None of that is an exaggeration. The Batarang looks less like a display piece and more like a made-in-china toy you get from the dollar store. The box is absolute rubbish and made of cheap cardboard... not even plastic or tin...

I should have researched I suppose, but I just assumed I'd be getting the same quality as I would be from Blizzard.

Thank god the game rocks, or I would have been even more upset.

And yes, the game does rock.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #53 on: Thursday, February 25, 2010, 03:09:03 PM »
Batman: AA for the PC is 75% off on G4WL starting tomorrow (Friday Feb 26th) until March 1st (next Monday).
It'll cost $12.50 OR 1000 MS points.

EDIT:
So, for those who have used G4WL to download games...

Do they download a zip file and/or installer file for the full game that you can back-up to disc?

Or is it like Steam where it just downloads the entire game straight-up and then you can "Archive" (Back-up) the game to a compressed file and then back-up it to disc?
« Last Edit: Thursday, February 25, 2010, 04:11:36 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #54 on: Friday, February 26, 2010, 10:51:57 AM »
The only game I've downloaded through LIVE little robot one. If I recall it downloaded and installed it entirely through the LIVE interface with no option of storing the installation files.

I don't even recall seeing an archive or backup option once the game is installed.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #55 on: Friday, February 26, 2010, 04:22:29 PM »
The only game I've downloaded through LIVE little robot one. If I recall it downloaded and installed it entirely through the LIVE interface with no option of storing the installation files.

I don't even recall seeing an archive or backup option once the game is installed.

Okay, for the hell of it, I downloaded Tinker (a free game) through G4WL, just to see how this thing works in G4WL.

Basically, you select to download the game you want - and the result is you get a compressed CAB file. Inside the CAB file was a game MSI install file and also a DirectX EXE - so, yeah, looks like this is what I'm looking for.

Default location of where these files save to is actually listed in your G4WL Settings of where the CAB file gets DL'ed. So, looks like that is what you'd back-up, if you wanted to back a game up.

If you have a program that can un-compress CAB files (i.e. PowerArchiver), looks like you can extract that and go from there.

Or, if you are running G4WL and your game is downloaded, you can just select from your Games list the game you downloaded and tell it to install it.

EDIT:
Okay, guys - I ordered Batman: AA PC through G4WL to download. I'll go through this process and let you know what I think of their process of DLing and installing and stuff, once all goes through...
« Last Edit: Friday, February 26, 2010, 05:54:04 PM by MysterD »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: Friday, February 26, 2010, 06:41:59 PM »
I can't say for sure, but I think you can decompress CAB files with WinRar as well.  Or at least I can see what's in them using it (.Cabs are installers for windows mobile apps).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #57 on: Saturday, February 27, 2010, 07:24:27 AM »
Well, worth noting here - after the CAB files are downloaded, this is probably when you should burn them, if you want them. Don't click install YET.

Once you tell it to install (from the CAB files) and it finishes the install, G4WL deletes the CAB files. If I knew that, I would've cut them to disc before I clicked install.

Just so y'all know and stuff.

Found out the hard way.
« Last Edit: Saturday, February 27, 2010, 03:49:44 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #58 on: Saturday, February 27, 2010, 03:39:47 PM »
That explains why I couldn't find the installation files. That's similar to how some CAB installers do it on Windows Mobile.

I can confirm that WinRAR, WinZip, and 7-Zip can all extract CAB files.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #59 on: Saturday, February 27, 2010, 03:55:34 PM »
I must say, from what I've played so far, this game is kick-ass. I'm playing it w/ m X360 Controller For Windows, I should note - and it controls just fine w/ the gamepad. I just love zipping from gargoyle to gargoyle to avoid attacks of to try and get the drop on enemies - it's just bad-ass.

Outstanding voice-acting. The Joker and Harley Quinn are so far stealing the show for me here. 

I must say - the graphics are absolutely outstanding.

Gonna go play some more, soon enuff - downloading this game's Insane Night Map Pack (Free DLC).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #60 on: Monday, March 01, 2010, 03:49:18 PM »
That explains why I couldn't find the installation files. That's similar to how some CAB installers do it on Windows Mobile.

I can confirm that WinRAR, WinZip, and 7-Zip can all extract CAB files.

Easy instructions here on dealing w/ CAB files from G4WL Games on Demand.

Someone on CAG explains that the CAB files from any G4WL Games On Demand version of a game is the same as the disc version, pretty much. Basically, after the DL finishes, DO NOT click install - if you want to cut these files to disc(s). Cut them to disc(s).

So, yes - you can even install these CAB files w/out the need of G4WL or anything - if somehow G4WL does go down, shits the bed, or whatever at some later date. You extract the files somewhere, run the install EXE file, and you're good to go.

EDIT:
Microsoft's Securom DRM terms for many of their G4WL Games On Demands Games - which include Batman: AA PC.

Basically, 5 activations allowed PER MONTH.
After a month ends, your count get reset back to 5 installs allowed.

« Last Edit: Monday, March 01, 2010, 04:14:23 PM by MysterD »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 09:59:06 AM »
Outstanding game.  I got it for Christmas, and finally played through it.  (First few achievements are dated 12/31/09.  Fallout 3 got in the way.)  I don't think I've seen this good a technical execution on anything.  It's smooth as glass with nary a hitch.  It's installed to the hard drive, but still.  Animations are stellar and so varied.  Voice acting is as good as on any Batman animated feature.  I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here.  I just needed to get that said.

I love the darker aspects of the game.  The mood setting is superb.  Oh, and . . .

(click to show/hide)

I'm not a fan of heavy brawling.  What made the game for me was, well, everything else.  All of the Batman facets seemed to be here, very nicely realized.  They were most enjoyable.  Kudos to the devs for their labor of love, lots and lots of talented labor.

Offline Myst3rD

• Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 11:36:17 AM »
And I thought I was The Thread Resurrecting King....  :o

You pulled a MyD - trying to bring a dead thread from 2009 back to life in 2010. :P

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #63 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 01:11:54 PM »
The Real MyD (me) still needs to play this game and finish it - thanks for the reminder, guys. I kinda need something worth-while to play, that I can actually stick with, since I'm done w/ The Saboteur.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #64 on: Sunday, November 24, 2013, 02:28:41 PM »
I know I'm years late but this game is amazing.

It feels like a hybrid of Riddick, Bioshock and Batman (obviously).

I find myself fighting the controls a decent amount but I think that's more my fault than the game.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: Monday, November 25, 2013, 07:36:43 AM »
Wow.  Necrobump of the year.  :D

I loved that game.  Arkham City too.  Good times.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #66 on: Monday, November 25, 2013, 05:01:08 PM »
There will be a lot more of these bumps soon. End of a generation means I get to pick up all the gems that I've missed for wonderfully low prices.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #67 on: Sunday, December 29, 2013, 12:21:31 PM »
The save game seems to have randomly disappeared from the xbox hard drive. I was close enough to the end that I'm considering the game complete.

I really liked the Metroid vibes the Poison Ivy sections where giving me.