Author Topic: |||THE ULTIMATE MASS EFFECT 1 THREAD|||  (Read 90760 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Mass Effect PC to have horrendous DRM
« Reply #280 on: Tuesday, August 25, 2009, 04:36:17 AM »
About time.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #281 on: Tuesday, August 25, 2009, 02:01:28 PM »
For Mass Effect PC - Pinnacle Station DLC released to purchase-to-download.
It costs $5.00 US Dollars from The EA Store.

PC Mass Effect Pinnacle Station

[Aug 25, 2009, 4:23 pm ET] - 5 Comments
The EA Store now offers digital distribution of the Windows edition of the new Pinnacle Station for Mass Effect, BioWare's sci-fi RPG. The listing for this DLC, which is priced at $5.00 USD, has more details than we've seen yet for this project, which strangely, still does not seem to have been announced. Here's word:

Test the limits of your combat prowess aboard a remote, top-secret Alliance space station. Do you have what it takes to hold the top spot among the best of the best? This module includes a new land-able space station, 13 exciting combat scenarios, and approximately 2-3 hours of game play.

Required: you must achieve Spectre status before embarking on this mission.

Compete in a series of high-stakes battle simulations to earn amazing weapons and armor that can be used in the main game. Unlock new achievements, and even win ownership of a dedicated base of operations for Commander Shepard. Challenge modes include Survival, Time Attack, Hunt and Capture and even a scenario modeled after the First Contact War.

Features:
         • Visit the military training center at Pinnacle Station and engage in a series of combat simulations.
         • Players of any level can hone their Mass Effect combat skills, shooting your way to the top in 12 unique combat scenarios.
         • Make a bet with the station Admiral in a final 13th mission. The stakes are high, Shepard risks his life and the life of his crew to prove that he is the best of the best.
         • Farm your main game achievements in an easy to access combat simulator.
         • Player can take their prizes and play with them in the main game. Making your next playthrough easier.
         • Combat is more dynamic and fast-paced.
         • Combat simulator feels like a holo-deck of sorts, environments and enemies look simulated.
         • Encounter Vadinos (Turian) and win his weapon.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #283 on: Thursday, August 27, 2009, 03:36:00 AM »
Well that patch certainly didn't fix anything!! Garrus' face still looks like ass and pressing Enter in a menu still double-taps!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #284 on: Thursday, August 27, 2009, 02:17:27 PM »
Xessive - Bleh @ false advertising. :(

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #286 on: Sunday, August 30, 2009, 07:49:21 PM »
It sounded pretty bad to me, but I was reserving judgment.  I guess it's as bad as it sounded.  Too bad, but after the first DLC I wasn't expecting much.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #287 on: Monday, August 31, 2009, 12:14:06 AM »
Liked the game and all but haven't gone back for any DLC.  Second one is hitting soon isn't it?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #288 on: Monday, August 31, 2009, 02:07:46 PM »
It sounded pretty bad to me, but I was reserving judgment.  I guess it's as bad as it sounded.  Too bad, but after the first DLC I wasn't expecting much.

To me, it sounds like they are wondering if they should add some sort of MP Content and Component to say ME2 -- b/c that's what this Arena sounds like.

This DLC sounds like an experiment, to me...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #289 on: Monday, August 31, 2009, 09:04:03 PM »
I don't know why they even bothered.  Does anyone even still play the game?  And are they really going to pick it up again to monkey around with a borderline worthless distraction?

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #290 on: Monday, August 31, 2009, 10:24:33 PM »
Well they are just warming people up for Mass Effect 2.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #291 on: Monday, August 31, 2009, 10:37:33 PM »
I guess that's true, they do have the sequel on the way.  Still, for DLC it seemed like they really made a half-hearted attempt with this one.  Not that I mind since I hate DLC, but... y'know.

I really need to get back and finish this, though.  I was in full swing around the time of the meet, but that kind of stopped me in my tracks and I just never worked up the momentum to go back.  Now I'm daunted by trying to figure out how the hell to play it again.  But I really liked it quite a bit, I need to finish it.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #292 on: Monday, August 31, 2009, 10:46:36 PM »
Yea, the lack of DLC is a rather big let down I thought as well since they was so much they could easily add-on and explore with.

But you should finish it, I thought the ending was great, definitely worth playing up to and it gets you really damn pumped for the sequel.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #293 on: Tuesday, September 01, 2009, 12:29:05 AM »
This is one game where I'm not really pumped for the sequel but I want to be.  I guess maybe I just wasn't expecting as much from the game as I got.  I'm sure I posted a bunch about it when I was playing, but it's just so much more than the sum of its parts.  Even when you know it's being a little hackneyed or goofy, everything comes together in such a way to make it feel much more real than that.  I really want to see what they do with the 2nd.  I'm hoping it's bigger and has more stuff off the beaten path, but ultimately I'm most looking forward to seeing more giant cities.  I love, love, love the feeling of exploring a sci-fi civilization for some reason.  That was really working for me with Anachronox too.  As old-looking as it is, they did a really good job conveying the feeling of wandering around a part of something really big and sprawling at numerous points in that game.  It still feels really alive to me even now.  I love cities in any game, even like in GTAIV and stuff, but for some reason seeing such a tangible-looking representation of science fiction in that sense really does it for me.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #294 on: Tuesday, September 01, 2009, 01:33:12 PM »
I really need to get back and finish this, though. I was in full swing around the time of the meet, but that kind of stopped me in my tracks and I just never worked up the momentum to go back.  Now I'm daunted by trying to figure out how the hell to play it again.  But I really liked it quite a bit, I need to finish it.

Even more so true, Especially since ME1 saves can be imported into ME2.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #297 on: Thursday, November 05, 2009, 05:49:49 PM »
Makes me wonder which is worse.
That's one that could be decided w/ a coin flip. :P

At least the Steam DRM has no install limits.
Agreed.
But, you're still stuck w/ Steam.
For $9.99, that's not a bad deal, though.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #298 on: Thursday, November 05, 2009, 09:33:15 PM »
Fuck that.  Buy retail and crack it.  The game's like $15 or something on PC these days.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #299 on: Thursday, November 05, 2009, 10:11:47 PM »
Fuck that.  Buy retail and crack it.  The game's like $15 or something on PC these days.

Has Steam version been cracked?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #300 on: Thursday, November 05, 2009, 11:02:41 PM »
I think they removed the limits for Mass Effect PC. Buy retail.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #301 on: Friday, November 06, 2009, 02:50:51 PM »
I think they removed the limits for Mass Effect PC. Buy retail.

I'll have to check on that.

I know they did allow for revokes.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #302 on: Tuesday, December 08, 2009, 01:26:27 PM »
I forgot about this game.  I knew that I wasn't going to get it because of the ridiculous DRM.  Thankfully the publishers have finally listened.  I believe I heard that ME2 will just have a disc check?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #303 on: Tuesday, December 08, 2009, 04:24:35 PM »
I believe I heard that ME2 will just have a disc check?

Yep. Same disc-check protection as DAO.
No online-authentication and no install limits.

Digital Rights Management (DRM)

The boxed/retail PC version of Mass Effect 2 will use only a basic disk check and it will not require online authentication. This is the same method as Dragon Age: Origins. Digital versions will use the retailers protection system.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #304 on: Tuesday, December 08, 2009, 11:32:47 PM »
Fucking great game.  Just reinstalled it recently.  I don't know if it has securerom or anything, but I can run it with the disk out.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #305 on: Wednesday, December 09, 2009, 02:43:02 PM »
Fucking great game.  Just reinstalled it recently.  I don't know if it has securerom or anything, but I can run it with the disk out.

That is correct - no disc allowed for ME PC.
That's b/c you have 5 installs allowed w/ revokes.
Make sure you journey to EA's or Bioware's website and grab the revoke tool.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #306 on: Wednesday, December 09, 2009, 05:38:59 PM »
Sounds like a lot of work. I'll just keep on going until I run out and then crack that motherfucker.

Anyways, doing a quick run through of the game again before the sequel comes out. I had initially intended to go through as a renegade and make a lot of choices differently than the last time, but didn't realize that starting a new game + counts as the same career as the first run through, which probably means I don't get a choice as to what decisions to carry over to the sequel.  Paragon again it is then.  I'll turn badass in ME2.

Not doing any sidequests this time though really....I imagine this could be fairly short.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #307 on: Wednesday, December 09, 2009, 06:14:22 PM »
Sounds like a lot of work.
You can get the DeAuth tool here for MEPC.

Basically, you run this tool BEFORE you uninstall ME PC, while you're online - and you will get one install back to your count.

I'll just keep on going until I run out and then crack that motherfucker.
I don't blame you.
I think they should just remove the DRM check myself.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
Re: Mass Effect 2 - PC DRM and system requirements revealed (Reply 22)
« Reply #308 on: Friday, January 01, 2010, 05:59:16 PM »
I missed the first one. And I'm really interested in checking this out. Should I play the first one before the second?

And should I get it for PC or Xbox 360? I'm probably going to get 2 for Xbox. It seems like it's kind of made for console.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #309 on: Friday, January 01, 2010, 06:01:43 PM »
Scary, check the Steam thread. ME1 is only $4.99 today.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #310 on: Friday, January 01, 2010, 06:05:58 PM »
Yes, you should get the first one first.  The sequel is directly related to the first game.  And unless they've changed anything substantial to consolize the 2nd, this is definitely a PC-superior game by a pretty large margin.  If you have the rig to run it, avoid the console versions in favor of the PC.  The interface is a lot better, you can manage your individual characters (which you can't do at all on console), and there were a few other little quibbles I can't remember.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #311 on: Friday, January 01, 2010, 06:30:33 PM »
Quote from: ScaryTooth
I missed the first one. And I'm really interested in checking this out. Should I play the first one before the second?

And should I get it for PC or Xbox 360? I'm probably going to get 2 for Xbox. It seems like it's kind of made for console.

Yes, you should get the first one first.  The sequel is directly related to the first game.

And unless they've changed anything substantial to consolize the 2nd, this is definitely a PC-superior game by a pretty large margin.  If you have the rig to run it, avoid the console versions in favor of the PC.  The interface is a lot better, you can manage your individual characters (which you can't do at all on console), and there were a few other little quibbles I can't remember.

Yes, I agree w/ Que.

To add more to this all...
Everyone will want to have and keep their ME1 saves, since they can be directly imported into ME2.
Even more reason to play ME1 before 2.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #312 on: Friday, January 01, 2010, 08:38:40 PM »
Yeah.  This is the first game where that actually seems like a really cool thing.  It's been done before, but I never cared.  Seems really neat with this one.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #313 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 01:04:12 AM »
Scary, while it was made for the console, they adapted it quite well for the PC (from the 30 minutes I played), to the point where it was superior to my sister's 360 version.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #314 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 01:29:22 AM »
The PC version is the better version (better interface), but the X360 version came out first and that's the version I have.  As a result, I'll probably pick up the second on the console as well since I can import my save file.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #315 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 08:10:59 AM »
Scary, while it was made for the console, they adapted it quite well for the PC (from the 30 minutes I played), to the point where it was superior to my sister's 360 version.

We can normally count on Bioware or whomever they hire to port the console version to the PC to do a good job w/ it.

Every time on their PC versions, I stuck w/ the KB/mouse controls b/c they tailor-made them to work right on the PC - see KOTOR, Jade Empire, and Mass Effect.

Oh, and I didn't think getting use to Mako on KB/mouse was as bad as everyone made it out to be for MEPC. Did MEPC actually support a gamepad - i.e. the X360 For Windows Gamepad?

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #316 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 08:48:39 AM »
Got the PC version from Steam. Thanks guys. Going to dive into it later tonight. Have some things to do first.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #317 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 12:16:54 PM »
If you only focus on the main quest the game is actually quite short, so if you end up being short on time with Mass Effect 2 just around the corner, you can indeed ignore the side quests and be done with the original ME in about 15 hours or so.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #318 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 12:24:24 PM »
Don't rush through it, though.  It's more satisfying if you give yourself a little time to stop and smell the roses.  I'm trying to do every side quest, and while that gets a little monotonous because a lot of them end up being pretty much exactly the same thing, they can still be fun.  If they manage to beef up that aspect of the game in 2, that'd be nice, though who knows if that'll even be in.  Dunno' if it'll fit the story... they might work some other way.  I do love the feeling of going out and exploring space, though.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #319 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 01:44:32 PM »
I'm about to start playing through ME finally too. I've been trying to get to Dead Space, but there's too damn many windows in this room for me to play it during the day without annoying glare. So I thought I'd work on ME while the sun is up.

What are everyone's suggestions for what class to play? I was sort of thinking soldier just because it might make it a bit more shooter-y, and part of the draw for this game is that the combat reminds me of a shooter. I would just entertain the idea of playing a second time with another class, but with an already huge backlog and ME2 coming up, I'll probably just play through once.