Author Topic: Obama won the nobel peace prize...  (Read 4957 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Obama won the nobel peace prize...
« on: Friday, October 09, 2009, 10:14:47 AM »
Why?

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
Re: Obama won the nobel peace prize...
« Reply #1 on: Friday, October 09, 2009, 10:28:57 AM »
They also gave one to Yasser Arafat in the past. Nuff said.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Friday, October 09, 2009, 12:33:54 PM »
Not just why, but the nominations had to be in by Feb 1st when we was in office a grand total of 2 weeks.

Its more political bullshit.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Friday, October 09, 2009, 01:32:17 PM »
I see it as a vote of confidence in some global circles.  He has not done anything to earn one yet.  I never understood what the criteria are for deserving one anyway.  Yeah, politics.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Friday, October 09, 2009, 03:42:42 PM »
How about for being the first black president of the US?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Friday, October 09, 2009, 03:45:21 PM »
You don't win a peace prize for being black.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #6 on: Friday, October 09, 2009, 05:06:22 PM »
I think it was done to give a big "Fuck you" to Bush.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #7 on: Friday, October 09, 2009, 08:14:41 PM »
Haha

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Friday, October 09, 2009, 08:38:32 PM »
You don't win a peace prize for being black.

Pretty sure Obama just proved you wrong on that.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, October 10, 2009, 01:23:03 AM »
But Obama isn't black. Wasn't his mother white? He is as white as he is black.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, October 10, 2009, 08:03:03 AM »
That's literally true.  But it isn't seen that way in America.  It wasn't in the past at least.

Blackness has nothing to do with this anyway.  Political correctness is an American disease, not Norway's.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, October 10, 2009, 11:49:20 AM »
Political correctness is a global disease, America just seems to have gotten the worst of it due to rampant irresponsibility.

EDIT - Nice to see Fidel Castro being so happy about Obama's prize.  Shouldn't that tell people something?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, October 10, 2009, 01:02:57 PM »
It says nothing about anyone other than Castro.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, October 10, 2009, 01:30:31 PM »
The Nobel Peace Prize is basically a joke. The longest running argument for this is that while the other four prizes judge discoveries or inventions based on not on only their own merit, but also how they have helped mankind, the Peace Prize is really judged on neither. The other four are often granted years or decades after the initial discoveries being awarded were made...once their potential has started to show (of course there are many exceptions as sometimes things are a big fucking deal right from the start).  The Peace Prize, on the other hand, is (usually?) granted based solely on events of that year, before the actual ramification or effects are known and have been criticized for being tainted by bias right from their inception.    

A popular topic of criticism for the Peace Prize is how Gandhi was never awarded one while alive and they refuse to post-posthumously award one in any case.  It seems a bit ridiculous considering some of the awards they've given out went to people who pale in comparison (even while he was alive and active).  

This is probably the most ridiculous one I know of to date.  Certainly, some are more controversial, but at least there is an actual argument for awarding them.  Arafat won his not because of his past, but because of what he accomplished in that year - returning with the message that violence wasn't going to solve the problem and negotiating the Oslo Accords with Yitzhak Rabin and the Secretary of Defense (or something like that) of Isreal....which is a pretty big deal.  Kissinger has also been pretty controversial, but he was awarded it for his involvement in the Paris Peace Accord rather than his influence in American foreign policy in the past.  Controversial?  Of course, but at least there's an argument there whether or not you agree with it.  

Obama, on the other hand, is pretty much a farce. The guy hasn't done anything that could be even remotely construed as deserving it.  Not only has he not done anything, he hasn't really even actively pursued achieving peace.  I'm not saying he's doing a bad job or isn't a good leader, and I'm not implying that he's not moving promoting peace and diplomacy in general, all I'm saying is that it's undeserved at this point. Maybe when the troops are pulled out Iraq or Afghanistan is 'officially' independent and stabilized.  Maybe when he negotiates a cease fire between two countries or actually gets some countries to sign onto a new treaty against nuclear proliferation or promising disarmament.  For now?  Not a chance.

And, for the record, I am well aware of why he was awarded it according to the committee, but it's equally retarded and most likely just an afterthought.  People have been criticizing the peace prize for years as slowly becoming purely aspirational in nature, but also as a platform for political opinion.  This kind of seems to support that.  I personally think Obama was picked partially because of his celebrity appeal, partially because of the transition to the aspirational nature (which I think is ridiculous and might as well call for the award to be abolished), but also just as a knock towards the previous administration and the American right wing in general.....which would not be the first time.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, October 11, 2009, 11:15:09 PM »
An inspirational poster came to mind with Obama's picture: The Nobel Peace Prize: Because after Bush, everyone looks like a fucking saint.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, October 11, 2009, 11:43:39 PM »
haha, not bad at all

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: Monday, October 12, 2009, 08:52:16 PM »
This is as good a time as any to mention that Henry Kissenger also got a Nobel Peace Prize.

Le Duc Tho would have shared the prize with him, except at least Duc Tho had the fucking sense to turn it down.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #17 on: Monday, October 12, 2009, 10:02:54 PM »
Such a powerful picture. When I see it, I'm always thoughtful of what's not captured in wartime. Terribly depressing.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: Monday, October 19, 2009, 02:08:29 PM »
I'm not saying he deserved the prize but here's a list of what he did during the first few days in office:

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2009/10/09/so_what_did_obama_do_to_get_the_nobel_peace_prize

From that it seems a lot like a 'good start, keep it up' kind of thing.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #19 on: Monday, October 19, 2009, 06:48:13 PM »
He made some phone calls and did some political posturing.  Whoopie.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #20 on: Monday, October 19, 2009, 07:24:02 PM »
I'm not saying he deserved the prize but here's a list of what he did during the first few days in office:

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2009/10/09/so_what_did_obama_do_to_get_the_nobel_peace_prize

uhhh

we're still in Iraq

Guantanamo Bay is still open

Afghanistan is actually worse

that list includes making PHONE CALLS???
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #21 on: Monday, October 19, 2009, 07:37:57 PM »

Obama hasn't done a damn thing so far. I voted for the man and I was optimistic, but so far he has been nothing short of disappointing.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: Monday, October 19, 2009, 09:45:45 PM »
Yeah, sorry but that list is retarded. He also got into office and ordered automated air strikes on Pakistan within days.  Now, I'm not saying that it was wrong or anything, I'm just saying it should probably be mentioned when there's really not much there to negate or overshadow it.   

You don't get the trophy before you play the big game. He's a good president (I think) and could very well end up accomplishing a lot, but this is really more of a world-wide celebrity leader circle jerk than anything else.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, October 20, 2009, 01:35:57 AM »
As far as Pakistan is concerned, he has actually accomplished something. The government has started to fight the Taliban. I don't know if it will amount to anything but it's a hell of a lot better than the Bush policy of just giving them a lot of money and hoping for the best.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, October 20, 2009, 01:54:29 AM »
Oh, really?  I'm switching sides....PEACE PRIZE.

Wait, it's between him and Bush, right?

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, October 20, 2009, 04:56:52 AM »
As far as Pakistan is concerned, he has actually accomplished something. The government has started to fight the Taliban. I don't know if it will amount to anything but it's a hell of a lot better than the Bush policy of just giving them a lot of money and hoping for the best.

is that really anything to do with obama? i watched an interview with a pakistani police officer recently, where he stated that the reason for the general shift against the taliban is that people are sick of their friends, family and buildings getting blown up - which is logical.

i don't see how that relates to the US president.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, October 20, 2009, 07:05:17 AM »
The Afghanistan/Pakistan war is necessary, and has been since 2001.  Iraq is the boondoggle, but we're there now, as in Guantanamo.  You can't end either with the stroke of a pen, anymore than you can prevent a runaway train from wrecking by cutting all funding to the railroad.

The man is sincerely trying.  That by itself is noteworthy.  His opposition is fierce.  I'm not surprised.  They're fighting to stay on top of the heap.  We're the heap.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, October 20, 2009, 03:03:51 PM »
Wait a minute. The last time I checked, the democrats had a SUPER MAJORITY thus a filibuster-proof Senate. The Republicans are helpless to stop anything and the Dems STILL can't get anything done? They have the means to push through all their agendas but they're doing NOTHING.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, October 20, 2009, 03:11:05 PM »
The dem super-majority is only like, what, by one vote?  There are a few dems who oppose the changes, along with *every* republican.  That takes it out of super-majority, we're-doing-it-anyway range.  The majority of Congress does support the bill, and the super-majority does support significant reforms to healthcare.  The fight is over details, like the public option.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, October 20, 2009, 06:13:09 PM »
Give up.  We're all doomed.  In 20 years we'll all be dead or in concentration camps.  I'm moving to the moon where I'm going to start a strip club.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, October 20, 2009, 06:40:36 PM »
those moon chicks are so loose
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, October 20, 2009, 06:44:59 PM »
We're also going to have blackjack.  And hookers.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, October 20, 2009, 08:25:25 PM »
I've always wanted to bang a moon chick. Count me in.

Is this a BYOB thing or will alcohol be included?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, October 20, 2009, 10:34:12 PM »
There will be a full bar, complete with crazy moongirl bartender.  And potentially robot waitresses.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, October 22, 2009, 01:20:13 PM »
Guantanamo Bay is still open

You clearly missed the big picture here. No new prisoners will be subjected to secret military tribunals, and the existing prisoners have been told they'll receive new trials through the ordinary federal court system. There's a huge backlog of prisoners, prosecutors keep asking for more time because the "secret military tribunals" didn't actually give a fuck about evidence and didn't collect any, and the Republicans did a very good job of making it impossible to actually release or transfer prisoners out of Guantanamo (even after they're acquitted, for fuck's sake); that's why it's taking so long. This is still a huge improvement, though.

Basically, Obama's policy is that at least no new prisoners will be drugged, hog-tied, administered an enema, diapered, stuck into the back of a C-130, and then placed in a chain-link concrete cage for most of a decade. That's Change I Believe InTM.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, October 22, 2009, 05:59:20 PM »
You're not allowed to put this back on-topic.  I worked very hard to derail this.