Author Topic: Medal of Honor (2010)  (Read 8015 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Medal of Honor (2010)
« on: Wednesday, December 02, 2009, 02:58:02 PM »
NEW - 10/20/2010:
Medalofhonor.com -> MOH PC - Upcoming Patch #2's change-list for the MP.
1Up -> New MP DLC coming for MOH for X360 and PS3 on Nov 2nd.

REVIEWS
Different Sites - Scored or Graded
GameSpy - PS3 and X360 - 3 stars (out of 5)
PCMag.com - All platforms - 3 stars (out of 5)
Atomicgamer.com - All platforms -> 6 (out of 10).
GameTrailer.com -> - All platforms - 8.1 (out of 10)
1Up - all platforms -> B grade (out of A).
Eurogamer - all platforms -> 8 (out of 10)
PC Gamer -> PC Review - 75 (out of 100).
Gamezone -> All platforms - 7 (out of 10).
Joystiq -> XB360 Review - 4 stars (out of 5).
Different Reviews - No Score
Shacknews -> PS3 Version Review.
ArsTechnica.com -> Review.
BigDownload.com -> Their Final verdict is "Wait".
IGN Review
PC Review - 6.5 (out of 10).
X360 Review - 6.0.
GameSpot Review - 7.5 for all platforms.
HD Video Review.
Written review.

OLD:
News, Info, Links, Etc
Kotaku -> US Military bases STILL won't sell MOH 2010, despite the "Taliban" to "Op-Force" name-change.
Kotaku -> Editorial on the "Taliban" to "OpFor" name-change in the MP portion of the MOH 2010.
Bluenews -> "Taliban" solders in the game have been renamed to "Opposing Forces."
CVG -> GamesMaster gives first MOH Review, giving it a 85% score.
MOH Blog -> Medal of Honor (2010) PC - System Requirements.
Bluesnews -> SP portion uses a heavily-modified Unreal Engine 3.
Bluesnews -> MP portion uses a modified version of the Frostbite Engine.

GTTV -> MOH (Reboot) - Spike TV VGA Trailer.
Shacknews -> Medal of Honor (reboot) planned for Fall 2010 - EALA is doing the SP; DICE will be handling the MP.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, March 29, 2011, 08:26:13 PM by MysterD »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Medal of Honor (2010 reboot) to take place in modern-day Afghanistan
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, December 02, 2009, 03:24:06 PM »
I have fond memories of MoH until the franchise went to super milkitformoney mode. For some reason, I really want this game to be good.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, December 02, 2009, 03:36:44 PM »
I have fond memories of MoH until the franchise went to super milkitformoney mode. For some reason, I really want this game to be good.
I fondly remember MOH:AA - as I'm sure most PC gamers do fondly remember it.

I'd like to see another good MOH game myself. No surprise that they're going to bring this one into a modern setting. Yeah, it's about time they did that. But, after Modern Warfare 1 and 2 sold like crazy - I guess this modern-day setting change was bound to be made and all...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 05:01:41 PM »
I actually find it sort of weird that people are lumping shooters together that use a modern setting. To me, it seems like modern day is the default setting, and future/past time settings would be alternatives. I guess we're so used to EVERYTHING being futuristic or WW2 that now that more games are going modern, they're "jumping on the bandwagon." It seems to me that saying the MoH reboot is a MW2 clone is like calling Crysis a Soldier of Fortune clone.

No, no one here is saying that it's a MW2 clone, but I've heard that elsewhere.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #6 on: Friday, July 23, 2010, 06:41:47 PM »
I just checked out the Multiplayer Beta (owners of Bad Company 2 on Steam get early access). Since it's developed by DICE it comes as no surprise that the multiplayer is basically a mod of Bad Company 2. Even some of the visual effects and UI are right out of BFBC2. As with DICE's tried and true past, the beta is extremely buggy. Clunky menu, trying to change some keys can crash the game, etc. It's pretty raw. The optimist in me thinks "well, it's a beta, it's supposed to be buggy.. The final ought to be in better shape." The cautious retrospect in me looks at the long line of DICE games and thinks "Riiiight.. this is gonna pan out much like the rest: early adopters will be basically buying a beta and begging for fixes and patches along the way."

In terms of gameplay, so far it seems more focused on infantry and small-arms warfare with no vehicles. If you love BC2 but complain about the "David vs Goliath : infantry vs vehicles" moments you'll very likely enjoy MoH2010.

It's tough to form a solid opinion based on the clearly under-baked beta. If I can get it for a decent price I might hop on to the MoH wagon early. If not, well who cares? I already have Bad Company 2.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, July 24, 2010, 12:30:20 PM »
It's basically like I expected: DICE makes a Modern Warfare game. Though for anyone who likes BFBC2 and MW and isn't tired of them yet, that's not necessarily a bad thing. A little uninspired, but not bad.

The game moves and feels like BC2 on Xbox (probably less noticeable on PC), and has minor destruction going on. By minor, I mean just enough to make the environment feel less static, but not enough to bring down buildings. (for example, there's a spot where a door-sized hole has been blown in a wall, and a rocket to the wall will make the hole bigger. Also there's a lot of particles, debris, and dust flying around, which gives the game a nice atmosphere.

Gameplay-wise, it's much closer to a CoD game. You move around the map, not necessarily sticking with teammates, looking for people of the opposing team to shoot. There's killstreaks, a minimap that shows the location of enemies when they fire (unless they use a silencer), though there's no spotting like in BC games. The spawn seems to be like MW, with a handful of spawn locations, and you spawn wherever there's (usually) not a lot of enemies. I have seen enemies spawn right in front of me, and I have seen some spawn camping. The difference between spawn trapping in MW2 and spawn camping in this though, is that in MW2 typically a spawn area is indoors and under cover. In the team-DM beta map in MoH, spawns are outdoors, and thus you can snipe/rocket/grenade people as they spawn. Overall the pace of the game remains high like MW, where BFBC2 varies from slow "get to the action" periods, with "we're gonna kill these people trying to cap this point" moments of action.

There's also an objective mode, but when playing with a friend we've gotten nothing but team DM even when selecting "mission only" for matchmaking.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, September 25, 2010, 01:34:15 PM »
Medal of Honor (2010) PC - System Requirements.

Check out the minimum and recommended requirements for Medal of Honor (PC).

Medal of Honor requires at the following minimum configuration:
Operating System - Windows XP (SP3), Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7
Processor - Pentium D, 3.2GHz / Core 2 Duo, 2.0GHz / Athlon 64 X2
Memory - 2GB RAM
Video Card - Video card must be 256MB or more and contain these chipsets or better: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT ; ATI X1900. Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required.
HDD Space - 9GB
Soundcard - Soundcard with DirectX 9.0c compatibility
DirectX - DirectX 9.0c
Disc Drive - 8x or faster CD/DVD Drive

The following configuration is recommended to run Medal of Honor:
Operating System - Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7
Processor - QuadCore 2.0Ghz
Memory - 2GB RAM+
Video Card - A video card with 512MB of VRAM and one of the following chipsets:  NVIDIA GeForce GTX260; ATI Raedeon 4870
HDD Space - 9GB
Soundcard - Soundcard with DirectX 10 compatibility
DirectX - DirectX 10
Disc Drive - 16X CD/DVD Drive

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Medal of Honor (2010) - Update: Taliban renamed to Opposing Forces in MP (10-1)
« Reply #9 on: Friday, October 01, 2010, 01:58:40 PM »
Bluenews -> "Taliban" solders in the game have been renamed to "Opposing Forces."
It's gotten A LOT of replies already.

Here's the link from MOH Website.

So, what about the SP?
Are they still called "Taliban" in SP b/c you don't play as one?  :o

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Medal of Honor (2010) - Update: Taliban renamed to Opposing Forces in MP (10-1)
« Reply #10 on: Friday, October 01, 2010, 02:25:01 PM »
Kinda lame but I'm more concerned about gameplay than political correctness. The game could be about space marines and space taliban for all I care as long as the gameplay is fun.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Friday, October 01, 2010, 02:28:03 PM »
Kinda lame but I'm more concerned about gameplay than political correctness. The game could be about space marines and space taliban for all I care as long as the gameplay is fun.
Agreed.

It seems like a "cop out" to me...

...But on another hand, I'm sure EVERYBODY already knows who they can play as - Taliban soldiers, even if they ain't named as such anymore.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #12 on: Friday, October 01, 2010, 02:35:32 PM »
It's honestly a non-issue. By military terminology they are technically the Opposing Force (OpFor). It's not like they completely redressed the game and changed them to Russian/German/Japanese/Vietcong/[insert generic war stereotype] etc.

More than anything, I bet EA is really confused about the issue since the opposing forces in Call of Duty 4 and Modern Warfare 2 included Iraqi insurgents and nobody complained, despite how recent their relevance to current military/political engagements.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Friday, October 01, 2010, 02:48:08 PM »
I'm a little disappointed that EA didn't stick to their guns here, especially when nothing apparently changed but the name of the enemy.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: Friday, October 01, 2010, 02:50:20 PM »
I'm pretty sure they were referred to as "OpFor" in one or two places in the multiplayer beta. It would call the team the Opposing Forces, but then when choosing your class, it would say "Taliban Rifleman", etc. I could be wrong though. Also, I was on the MoH site earlier, and noticed that the model they have a picture of for the OpFor is wearing generic military looking outfit with a ski mask, instead of the typical Taliban type outfit. (I know other people in that region dress similar, I just don't know wtf it's called) You can see it to the bottom right on my first link below.

Also, the PC multiplayer beta is available for download so you can have it installed and ready for the 4th.

List of places to get the installation files

Steam page, if you prefer to preload the beta there

EDIT: Also, this beta has different maps than the previous ones, so it at least offers a little something new. One map is the objective type like seen in the last beta, the other is a domination type, with 3 flag points to capture and hold.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #15 on: Friday, October 01, 2010, 05:25:10 PM »
That kinda looks like the balaclava kinda terrorist out of Counter-Strike.

I hope the open beta is better shape than the early-access closed beta. It is DICE we're talking about after all, I expect the final released game to be pretty buggy (at least the multiplayer segment), even though it's basically a repainted Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: Friday, October 01, 2010, 05:44:38 PM »
Here's how I see it: BFBC2 was awesome. I probably had more fun with it than I did with MW2. I only played MW2 more because my friends all sold BC2 because they're soulless pussies. MoH looks like MW maps for BFBC2, and I'm hoping that's enough to keep my friends interested for more than a week. Either way, I'm buying it and hanging on to it.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #17 on: Friday, October 01, 2010, 05:47:54 PM »
Here's how I see it: BFBC2 was awesome. I probably had more fun with it than I did with MW2. I only played MW2 more because my friends all sold BC2 because they're soulless pussies. MoH looks like MW maps for BFBC2, and I'm hoping that's enough to keep my friends interested for more than a week. Either way, I'm buying it and hanging on to it.
I just might. We'd better hold off to see if they'll have a 4-pack deal like they did with BFBC2. 4 for the price of 3, averaging $33 each: not a bad deal.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: Friday, October 01, 2010, 07:27:13 PM »
Well, my friends that I play online with all play Xbox. So the version I have preordered is the Xbox 360 one. :P

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #19 on: Friday, October 01, 2010, 08:19:35 PM »
Well, my friends that I play online with all play Xbox. So the version I have preordered is the Xbox 360 one. :P
Dinger.. You consoler! I'll rally the PC players and perhaps we'll tempt you to bat for our team!

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, October 02, 2010, 12:42:31 AM »
If there's a good enough deal and I've got the money to spare (which I don't right now), I may double dip if the game is good enough. I just know that I'll get more use (and less headaches) out of the Xbox version right now.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: Monday, October 04, 2010, 11:27:55 PM »
Ugh... No party system, so to play with friends we've got to have one person join a server, which instantly fills up if any spots were open, and then the rest spam "join friend" until they actually get in.

Also, there's no way to choose between hardcore and normal servers if you do matchmaking, so you just randomly get thrown into one of the two. One problem here is that shotguns are useless at anything but close range, but on hardcore they are one shot kills at medium range. I could use the server list, but it doesn't even load half the time. Also I tire of killing teammates with grenades and kill streaks, plus the kill streak targetting feels not harder, but broken, on hardcore mode.

Oh, and no killcam + overpowered snipers = massive fail. A lot of times on the combat mission map I'll spawn only to get sniped within a second or two. And I'm not talking about when you spawn on someone else, I'm talking about when I choose "spawn in base". I would love to know how I fucked up so I can either fix my mistake or at least laugh at myself.

Then there's this:

Since I can't find a way to have Steam check the files, I'll have to reinstall it. I'm so glad I made the switch console games.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Monday, October 04, 2010, 11:52:07 PM »
If you downloaed the game via Steam, right click the game, choose Properties, then...uh...on one of the tabs will be Verify game cache. It should find any broken files and reacquire them.

And with those squares in that image, for a second I thought "Wow, someone improved the lighting in Minecra....oh."

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 12:04:14 AM »
And with those squares in that image, for a second I thought "Wow, someone improved the lighting in Minecra....oh."

Haha!

Well, I downloaded both the Steam version and the regular version before it even went live. I first installed the regular one, then the Steam one (which broke the non Steam one). I've been playing through Steam for 24 hours (not straight lol) until now without this problem.

So just now I told Steam to remove all local files, and I repaired the regular version with it's install program. That still wouldn't run, so I uninstalled it, then reinstalled it and now it runs again. The graphical glitches are still there...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 06:10:35 AM »
@W7RE
Did you update to newest version of DirectX and your Video Card drivers?

That's always a must, when playing brand new games - trust me.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 07:46:19 AM »
DirectX should be up to date since I'm running XP 32 bit, and it's been 9.0c for forever, plus every game I install tries to install it again. I guess I shouls update my video card drivers though.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 07:49:04 AM »
DirectX should be up to date since I'm running XP 32 bit, and it's been 9.0c for forever, plus every game I install tries to install it again. I guess I shouls update my video card drivers though.

I think last DX 9.0 C update was in August 2010.

Did Steam w/ MOH Beta force a DirectX install?
If so - probably ain't a DX problem.

A lot of the most recent Steam games now come w/ a DX checker - which looks for newest DX files and updates them accordingly.

Yeah, I'd definitely update my vid-card drivers to newest WHQL.
What vid card you got?

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 08:47:45 AM »
Sapphire Toxic HD4850 512MB

EDIT: Looks like Sapphire's site has a 10.9 Catalyst version, and the latest one I see in my folder of drivers is 9.9.
EDIT2: This may or may not fix my problem, but what confused me is that the game looked fine for 24 hours. Then it crashed and looks like the pic above, even after a complete reinstall. If my drivers were the issue, wouldn't it have looked bad from the beginning?

EDIT3: Nope, driver update didn't fix it.

EDIT4: I tested Minecraft, DoW2, Crysis, and L4D2 and none of them have any issues.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 09:28:04 AM by W7RE »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 10:30:18 AM »
It could be a setting in the game. Uninstalling may not have removed all the config files, try resetting the game settings to default then restarting the game.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 10:53:28 AM »
It could be a setting in the game. Uninstalling may not have removed all the config files, try resetting the game settings to default then restarting the game.

Tried it, didn't help. I reset my graphics settings, restarted the game, and nothing. I then set everything to lowest settings, restarted the game, and nothing different. I set everything back to high, reset, and nothing different. Actually, with all settings on low it was slightly different: more black squares instead of neon squares.

I'm at the point that I dont care anymore. It will all be fixed in a week when my Xbox 360 version arrives.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 11:07:15 AM »
Dang. That sucks.

Well, hopefully you can enjoy the full game soon and lets us know how it is on X360.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, October 06, 2010, 08:50:42 AM »
Well, after the beta yesterday and a bit today I'm definitely losing interest in the game. I know it's a beta and it's bound to be full of bugs, but it's more an infuriating experience than anything else. Spawn kills, faulty hit detection, etc. What makes it frustrating is that this is the same team that developed the Battlefield games and they seem to be repeating mistakes for some odd reason.

In addition, MoH multiplayer doesn't add anything new or different compared to the BFBC2 multiplayer experience, so there's no real incentive for me to get it, at least not early on. Maybe it it's on sale or a few months down the road when the price drops significantly.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, October 06, 2010, 11:40:03 AM »
@Xessive...
Gonna wait for the inevitable Ultimate Edition/GOTY Edition?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, October 06, 2010, 12:34:58 PM »
@Xessive...
Gonna wait for the inevitable Ultimate Edition/GOTY Edition?
Haha most likely :P

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, October 06, 2010, 01:33:19 PM »
Yea it does seem like the game has some of the same problems that BFBC2 had, in particular the balance of snipers. Snipers are powerful, partly because everyone else is too. If you can spot a target and stay aimed at it, you can snipe with an SMG. This means snipers need to be deadly to not seem gimped. I would much rather see sniping be more difficult (at least in BFBC2 you had bullet drop, there's none in this), and then give SMGs and ARs enough spread to be useless at long ranges. Maybe give ARs decent single shot accuracy at long range, but not for burst or full auto fire.

Anyway, Amazon is offering a $20 gift card with purchase, and I already have the game paid off with gift card funds. So really, how soon would the game be on sale for $40 for me to get the same deal? I know it's not quite the same as saving $20, but I'll use it on Black Ops in a month.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, October 06, 2010, 01:55:55 PM »
$40 for a new console release is pretty good, especially when it's for a game you'll be playing.

I'm actually more curious about MoH singleplayer now.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, October 06, 2010, 05:38:20 PM »
Well, now they could change the name back, lol.
That's what I was thinking, as well...hehe.  ;D

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: Medal of Honor (2010) - Update: US Military bases still won't sell MOH (10-6)
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, October 12, 2010, 11:05:45 AM »
So I got the game in the mail and loaded it up to put in my online pass and got my free guns and such. Maybe it's just early in the day and a lot of people haven't had a chance to pick it up, but when I go to quick match there are only 9200 people playing. That probably just my region, but since my region is North America, you'd think there'd be more.

There are only 4 game modes for multi:
Combat Mission - similar BFBC2's Rush, capture the objective by sitting near it, then the map expands to the next (of 4 or so)
Team Assault - team deathmatch
Sector Control - king of the hill, sit near the objective flag to cap it
Objective Raid - plant a bomb? not sure, haven't played it

Then I check out the unlock tree, and damn this thing is barebones. You get unlocks based on your class (rifleman, special ops, sniper):

Rifleman unlocks:
1: Assault rifle (different depending on which team you're on)
2: Extra magazine
3: red dot scope
4: Light machine gun
5: Suppressors
6: Open-tip ammunition
7: Combat scope
8: Muzzle brakes
9: New assault rifle
10: Veteran assault rifles ("veteran versions of standard firearms"... ??)
11: Veteran light machine gun (same as above)
12: Enemy assault rifle (the base weapon from the other team)
13: More pistol ammo
14: Enemy light machine gun
15: Extra grenade

Yes, level 15 is the max level. And no, it doesn't really take longer to level (compared to a CoD game) to spread that out.

So for that class, that's 4 guns total, including the pistol. Then for the other team you get 4 OTHER guns, that are balanced to be equal with the first set. But hey, they have different models and sounds, so we'll say 8 guns for the Rifleman class. This is about how all the other classes work. You get a main weapon (assault rifle, submachine gun, sniper) based on class, one alternate weapon of that type, one alternate weapon type, and a pistol. Compare that to BFBC2 which had 7-8 truly unique weapons per class, 1 more class, plus about that many more weapons that were not class restricted. Or compare to a CoD game that has probably 6-8 weapons in each of the 5-6 different catergories, each with their own challenges and equipment unlocks.

I'm not sure where the Gamestop exclusive M60 fits in (got my game from Amazon), but I'd guess that it's simply access to the rifleman's LMG from the start. And the "tier 1 on day one" Gamestop thing is just being level 7 "tier one recruit" for the rifleman class apparently. The 2 shotguns that unlock by getting the Limited Edition seem to just be the standard shotguns you unlock with the Special Ops class. The only reason there's 2, is because there's one for each team, probably balanced so they feel identical. The only unique extra I'm seeing is the MP7A1 SMG for the Special Ops class, which came with the Limited Edition also.

So from the outside this game did look like it could compete with CoD, which is what it seems they were trying to do. But this just looks so stripped down that I don't see how it can. Add on the fact that the single player portion is reportedly about 4 hours long, and heavily HEAVILY scripted, and that makes things even worse. (I was watching a GiantBomb quick look earlier, and there's a part where you ambush some guys around a fire, and one of them is INVINCIBLE until he finishes running to the campfire and throws something on it to create dark smoke, signalling his nearby friends. He unloaded a full clip on the guy and he didn't flinch, because he was running through his scripted sequence first.)

I'm sure I'll get some enjoyment out of both modes, but I was really hoping this game would be a bit more. I did hear that Dice has only had 8 months of work on this. But what happened to the single player? Did they have a full length development cycle and only put out 4 hours of content, or was this a rush job on both sides?