Author Topic: LoZ: Spirit Tracks  (Read 1981 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
LoZ: Spirit Tracks
« on: Thursday, December 10, 2009, 11:45:10 PM »
I picked this up a day or so ago but haven't really had the chance to play all that much of it.  What I have seen, however, is brilliant.  The train concept might seem weird, but the theme in general fits, and you can notice slight differences in both the environment at times and the score which show the western genre influence on the game.  Very minor, but there.  I imagine that most will probably go through without even noticing, which is good for those who don't like the idea.

At it's core it's a true Zelda game and a pretty awesome one at that (so far).  The princess/phantom concept works well and isn't thrust on you throughout the game - just in the one reoccurring dungeon. Yes, there is another one of those, but from all accounts it fixes the problems of the Ocean Temple completely.  Far less repetitive both in design and execution, no time limit, and .... well, I've only been there once so who knows? But all the other dungeons are typical Link solo missions.

One thing I did notice so far is that the control scheme is slightly refined from PH. Just little things like you no longer have to make a tiny circle on the edge of the screen to roll, but rather just tap any direction twice.  The controls are still all touch screen based so keep that in mind, I know how polarizing that can be.  Yet to see if the train is an improvement on sailing; I could see it going either way at this point.

All in all I'm impressed with what little I've played so far, and reviews are good - constantly praising the game as an improvement over PH.  If you rock a DS and like Zelda, you should probably get on this.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: LoZ: Spirit Tracks
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, December 10, 2009, 11:55:23 PM »
I'm tempted.  Thanks for the impressions.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Friday, December 11, 2009, 05:41:24 PM »
I'm afraid to play this after playing PH, I've heard this is good, but I heard the same about PH when it came out.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Friday, December 11, 2009, 07:47:36 PM »
WHAT THE FUCK NINTENDO?!  Okay, so there's this pan flute in the game that works like the Ocarina in the last few Zelda games.  You have to blow into the mic to use it and it's not really something you can just tap out.  While that in itself sucks, it's not too bad or game braking for someone like me who thinks blowing into the mic for a game is the stupidest concept ever.  The mic is pretty sensitive so you don't have to get right up there, but still.

Oh, and then the first item you get in the first dungeon is the "Whirlwind" that's been seen in the trailers....which is mic activated...again.  Fucking seriously? You CAN just tap it for this one, but still....fucking ridiculous.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, December 12, 2009, 07:11:40 AM »
WHAT THE FUCK NINTENDO?!  Okay, so there's this pan flute in the game that works like the Ocarina in the last few Zelda games.  You have to blow into the mic to use it and it's not really something you can just tap out.
. . .

I'm going to read the rest of your post, but that's as far as I need to read to know I will never buy this game.  OK, reading on . . .

Edit:  As usual since the DS, Nintendo is more interested in pushing the gimmicks on its gadgets than in creating the best control scheme possible.  What a letdown.  Thanks for saving me some time and money.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, December 13, 2009, 03:03:15 PM »

Edit:  As usual since the DS, Nintendo is more interested in pushing the gimmicks on its gadgets than in creating the best control scheme possible.  What a letdown.  Thanks for saving me some time and money.

No problem.  Nintendo is kind of starting to blow for this reason.  Word is with with the DSi it's only worse.  I mean, obviously DS games are the same, but the DSi exclusive games (DSiWare mostly right now) that use the camera have a huge issue with them....you can't silence the camera. I guess Japan has some law saying that all small portable devices with cameras have to emit a shutter noise so you can't take sneaky pictures up the skirts of 12 year old school girls.  Nintendo didn't take that out for the rest of the world.  A post on the SA forums went something like; "I kind of thought the camera function of Rayman was cool at first...now I just wish to God I could play without waking up the two other people in my dorm room."

Well played Nintendo...well played.