Author Topic: Respawn Entertainment, Old Infinity Ward, Activision - Update: West left Respawn  (Read 9437 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Infinity Ward vs. Activision - Update: IW sues Acti for $75-125 mill (Reply 35)
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, April 28, 2010, 03:16:02 PM »
Haven't played MW2, but perhaps it was a result of being forced into a sequel.

Then again, as a studio, they should be expected to do at least one sequel -- without throwing a hissy fit -- for such a popular game. I mean, this wasn't Bioshock... this was a fast paced military action game.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Infinity Ward vs. Activision - Update: IW sues Acti for $75-125 mill (Reply 35)
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, April 29, 2010, 03:00:28 PM »
I don't agree at all.  I think the IW-developed COD games are gold standards.  Aside from maybe COD:MW2, they all really moved the FPS genre forward, almost embarrassing other developers when their work is compared.  COD:MW2 only faltered here because it was very similar to COD4:MW and had a weaker story.

Yeah, my recent experience could have kind of jaded my view of the series as a whole, I don't know.  The thing is that when I think about the games overall, they are very well done - highly polished, full of excitement, great scenarios.  It's just when I'm playing them or break them down, something seems lack luster.  Like it's just a big shooting gallery or something rather than an adaptive game play experience.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, April 29, 2010, 06:05:47 PM »
MW2 is definitely one of the best "feeling" FPS on a console. It's fast and smooth, it all works great. My only real major gripe with the multiplayer is the what killstreaks do to the game. The single player was short, but still really enjoyable despite some monster closets and ridiculous story. It had a lot of great moments, just like MW1.

I'll no doubt be curious to see how MW3 turns out, but what I'm really interested in is whatever Respawn does first.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, April 29, 2010, 07:33:41 PM »
I really don't know what it is with these games for me.  Like I said, loved the first game but bored to shit of the second.  Loved MW, but couldn't even play through MW2.  It just seemed too heavily scripted or something.  There were still definitely great moments, but it just kind of felt like FPS-lite to me.  Maybe because I've been playing so much Battlefield: BC2 online or something.

I AM certainly excited to see what they do though.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, April 29, 2010, 09:28:34 PM »
There were still definitely great moments, but it just kind of felt like FPS-lite to me.  Maybe because I've been playing so much Battlefield: BC2 online or something.

I played MW2 first, and when I got BC2 I almost completely lost interest in MW2. BC2 just offers a much more epic feeling experience, with a sandbox type feel that leads to lots of cool moments that you remember.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #45 on: Thursday, April 29, 2010, 10:46:50 PM »
Okay...that's probably nails it then.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Infinity Ward vs. Activision - Update: Acti going after EA for $400 million
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, December 21, 2010, 08:52:30 PM »
That link is broken for me.  It seems to forward me to some iPhone version of the site and I don't have an iPhone.

Edit:  Huh. Must be an issue with how Gamespot handles the browser user agent.  It's working fine on my PC, just didn't work from my Android phone.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, December 21, 2010, 09:41:23 PM by scottws »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, December 21, 2010, 09:14:43 PM »
That link is broken for me.  It seems to fwmedia me to some iPhone version of the site and I don't have an iPhone.

As 2010 draws to a close, the story is receiving one more plot twist. Activision today told GameSpot it asked a federal judge for permission to file an amended cross-complaint in its legal spat with West and Zampella. In addition to expanding on its claims against the pair, Activision wants to make Electronic Arts a defendant in the case. According to a copy of the filing provided by the Call of Duty publisher, Electronic Arts tampered with West and Zampella, inducing the pair to break their existing contracts with Activision, freeing them to establish Respawn and sign with the EA Partners program.

According to the filing, "Starting as early as July 30, 2009, Electronic Arts and [West and Zampella]--with full knowledge that the executives were under contract and legally committed to Activision for more than two additional years--conspired to set up an independent company."

It continued, "The unlawful conduct came from the highest levels at Electronic Arts, including EA Chief Executive Officer, John Riccitiello, and Chief Operating Officer, John Schappert, with direct support from the high profile talent agency, Creative Artists Agency, and even a former member of Activision's Board of Directors and former Activision lawyer."

EDIT:
G4TV -> They have more details on this, too.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, December 21, 2010, 11:53:53 PM »
Why "Activision wants to make Electronic Arts a defendant in the case." ?

Because they have money, that's why.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday, December 22, 2010, 12:10:51 AM »

Why "Activision wants to make Electronic Arts a defendant in the case." ?

Because they have money, that's why.

Well, that and tortious interference. This shit is about to get pretty entertaining.....I think.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday, December 22, 2010, 01:53:56 AM »
This shit is about to get pretty entertaining.....I think.

Yea that's what I was thinking.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #52 on: Friday, April 01, 2011, 03:47:31 PM »
Kotaku -> Latest on West and Zampella vs. Activision.

Those new claims add a new layer of damages exposure, according to West and Zampella's lawyer, Robert Schwartz, which could result in Activision paying compensatory damages (aka writing out a big check) or rescission of their contract—which could also mean that West and Zampella might find themselves co-owners of the Modern Warfare and Call of Duty brands with Activision.

Oh, that would be funny if it wound up where West, Zampella, and Activision ALL co-own COD and MW franchises....

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Respawn Entertainment, Old Infinity Ward, Activision - Update: West left Respawn
« Reply #53 on: Sunday, March 03, 2013, 09:07:27 PM »
CVG -> Jason West has left Respawn - supposedly he left after Activision/Old Infinity Ward/EA lawsuit was settled last May 2012.

Call of Duty Co-Creator reportedly departs Respawn
Jason West's departure 'amicable'
By Shaun Prescott for CVG Australia

Call of Duty co-creator Jason West has reportedly left Respawn, the studio he co-founded following his sacking from Infinity Ward in 2010.

The studio, which was founded in 2010, is currently working on an unannounced EA title, though West has not been involved in its development.
According to Kotaku's anonymous sources, the departure was amicable and is due to family issues. West has been absent from the studio since May 2012.

Co-founded by West and Vince Zampella, Respawn was born after the duo were engaged in an unfair dismissal lawsuit against Activision. The publisher counter-sued with claims that the pair had secretly negotiated a deal with EA during their time at Infinity Ward.

According to the report, West has been absent from the studio since the lawsuit was settled confidentially last May.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: Infinity Ward vs. Activision - Update: MW3 was in the works by IW (Reply 22)
« Reply #54 on: Sunday, March 03, 2013, 09:19:18 PM »
Well, I guess I mean more that you can see Activision wants to whore it out. Two dev teams allowing for one game per year instead of one game every other year is just a small start. I'm more talking about the fact that a third studio (Sledgehammer) is now working on CoD games, and Activision has even mentioned the idea of a subscription model for CoD in the future. One high-selling game per year isn't enough apparently, they need more. Plus rumors that IW wanted to move on to a new IP but Activision wants more CoD.

It's weird to come back and read this now. Sledgehammer had to cancel whatever they were working on to help finish MW3 after all those people left Infinity Ward. Call of Duty elite didn't get the subs it needed, and is now free starting with the release of Black Ops 2. Instead of being tied to Elite, map packs are using a season pass.

I was sort of hoping a 3rd person Call of Duty spinoff (the rumored Sledgehammer game before IW had it's issues) would at least be interesting, seeing as it was headed up by one of the key guys that brought us Dead Space 1 (Glen Schofield).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Respawn Entertainment, Old Infinity Ward, Activision - Update: West left Respawn
« Reply #55 on: Sunday, March 03, 2013, 09:34:30 PM »
Yeah, I'm still curious what Sledgehammer was working on, as well.
Was it cancelled flat-out? Or just put on hold?

Crazy to read West supposedly left Respawn already. Respawn hasn't even announced their first game, nevermind release it.
Of course, after everything w/ the Old Infinity Ward vs. Activision drama and then the lawsuits, who knows if he wanted to do this anymore.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #56 on: Sunday, March 03, 2013, 10:41:19 PM »
The rumor was that Sledgehammer was working on a 3rd person CoD spinoff. Then I started noticing them being included as the developer of Modern Warfare 3 (a couple times the way they were mentioned, I thought for a second that they had finished it for IW, not along with IW). Glen Schofield gave a TED talk not that long ago and was talking about his work on MW3 like he had done a lot of the primary work on the game. He talked about framing a sub passing by from underneath as an homage to the opening of Star Wars: A New Hope. He talked about sandstorm headlines from The Gulf War inspiring him to add a sandstorm level to MW3. These sound like the decisions of a primary developer of a game, not a studio that's doing side work for the game.

It was never said exactly what happened to the rumored spinoff. Maybe they took some of the levels and put them in MW3 instead.

Also, I saw tweets from Patrick Klepek earlier that West left right after the lawsuit ended, he left amicably, and it was for family reasons. It sounded almost like it was due to a family illness or something, not any professional reasons.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: Monday, March 04, 2013, 12:42:47 AM »
Third person CoD spinoff?  It sounds weird because, like why? Don't get me wrong, it's a well known brand and I don't have a problem with the games, but it's just a weird IP (and really, it's a trademark at that) to have a spinoff for.

And I don't really have high hopes for Respawn. CoD was a game I had a ton of fun with at the time, CoD2 actually felt really really dated, but I was pleasantly surprised with CoD:MW.  The thing is that a lot of the appeal of it was just the extremely high production value, great set pieces, and the modern environment.  The following MW games followed it up very well, but again, it feels like the gameplay itself hasn't evolved and it's floating on the merits of the money thrown into it. I think the fact that the Black Ops games are equally well received kinda goes to show that Infinity Ward might get a little more credit than it's due.

Again, not that they don't do a good job, but as far as I know, the people behind Respawn have developed two games: World War 2 shooter and Modern Era shooter.  They're good at that, but the actual gameplay mechanics are STILL dated (MW almost feels like an on-rails shooter) and I think they may have a problem transitioning into a new IP.  Well, that, or it will end up being yet another modern FPS in an already saturated market.  And we all know the MP won't touch BF3 anyways.