Author Topic: Que Music -- updated 11-13-2006!  (Read 3797 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Que Music -- updated 11-13-2006!
« on: Sunday, October 29, 2006, 11:05:54 AM »
Update again!  See the bottom of this post for a new 5-minute tune.

Okay, so I did a couple of experiments the other night.  The first one is a bit weak as I can't get the effects to route properly and had to kind of jury-rig the whole thing.  But at least it sounds better than the last delay-centric thing I tried.  This one works a lot better.  The drums at the end I actually played live just because I wanted to test something out.  Nothing great, but works okay.  It's fucking hard to play drums using your fingers on a crappy pad.  Also, the beginning is... weird.  It's sort of a holdover from something else, so bear with it until the "real" song starts.  Been pressed for time and didn't want to bother editing any of this really since it's all just demo shit anyway.

xx *sorry, the link is dead* xx

This next one is a short demo for an intro I have planned.  It's about 2 minutes, the drums are shit placeholder.  It's something I worked on before and just wanted to get down so that I'd have it.  It was the first thing I recorded on my "new" gear I got a few years back (Crate Blue Voodoo, Mesa Boogie 2x12 cab) and the last thing I recorded with my old mixer that died.  It sounded 100 times fucking better then, but this is the best I can do with a POD and no amp micing in my crappy apartment where I can't play any *real* music.  Bleh.  I hate being forced to go digital, but I really have no other choice.

xx *sorry, the link is dead* xx

So there you have it!  As always, opinions are welcome and valued.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

New stuff!

Okay, so I did two new song demos tonight.  Figured I'd post them.  Would love to hear what you think!

The Grass is Still Green - This one is a little kind of melodic metal thing, but it isn't heavy or fast.  3 guitars, a bit of harmony, a little melancholy.

Fried Cheese Artery Rampage - Just something for fun that I've been working on for a while now.  Finally laid down a couple tracks to see how it sounded with a few ideas, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Drums on both of these songs were played "live" again.  I've been having fun with that even though it's hard to get a decent sound.  I just can't be bothered to program the shit these days.

Happy listening!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

New tune!  Check it out.  It's rough, as always, and I had to really hastily cut the drums due to some issues with my hands turning into boards after all the playing.  Fucking body, why do you have to be so lame?

Over Blue Oceans

Now I must sleep.  Night kids!
« Last Edit: Monday, November 13, 2006, 02:43:26 AM by Quemaqua »

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: New Que music (non-metal)!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, October 29, 2006, 10:59:44 PM »
I like them both. I enjoyed the Intro Demo a little more, I can definitely picture that as a good intro to a longer piece.  Around the Table was cool too, the little bits of silence here and there were kind of weird, but it was still enjoyable to listen to, especially the last minute/minute and half of the song.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, October 29, 2006, 11:08:47 PM »
Heh, the bits of silence were just because it's a rough take.  I have no foot pedals for fast movement on the POD.  Well, that's not true.  I do, but I don't have the wherewithal at the moment to deal with programming lots of shit for the machine.  So I just manually switch the dials.  The laziness extends to the bits where I'm too lazy to take out the dead air.  Again, rough takes.  The effects are also shit because of the jury-rigged setup from the POD which is sort of... faked stereo.  I don't have the right stuff for doing this yet as I'm not used to using digital equipment -- I'm used to micing a big fat amp cabinet.

Thanks for the feedback.  =)  I've been considering using some drums for Around the Table for a while now, and while some of it works brilliantly even with very basic stuff, some of it is going to require some figuring out, hence why I just threw down a few little bits at the very end just for shits and giggles.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, October 29, 2006, 11:43:05 PM »
I think it is time you started your gangsta rap career.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, October 29, 2006, 11:48:34 PM »
Damn.  It's that bad?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 12:08:01 AM »
No no.. I haven't checked it out yet, sorry. Will do now. I was just joking since you said this is a departure from your usual stuff.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 12:13:32 AM »
Will download tonight. For great justice!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 06:32:40 AM »
I liked the "intro" to Around the Table. Remind me of some chiptunes or something played on a guitar. The middle of the song is really good, sounds Kaki King-ish.

Intro Demo makes me want to make a Doom 2 map just to have it as the music. Awesome.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 08:30:52 AM »
Haha, thanks!  I've had a few ideas for game-music projects, actually... just redoing game themes on guitar.  Highest on my list of candidates?  A death metal Mario theme.   :-[

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 02:35:48 PM »
I liked the end of Around the Table the most. You listen to far too much heavy metal if you think that Intro (demo) isn't metal. at least I'd classify it as metal.

If you really want to get better, you should play Guitar Hero. (It won't help you at all)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 07:37:29 PM »
Well, it could be rock.  Ish.  I don't know.  I mainly meant that people won't hate my heavier stuff wouldn't find any of this too taxing.  It's pretty easy.

I think as soon as I'm done with this novel project I need to start working on music a little more seriously for a while.  I have so many damned demo songs that I haven't really attempted any "real" recordings with.  I keep posting the fake shit and I really need to work on making something sound *good*.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Monday, November 06, 2006, 02:16:02 AM »
Magical updatey goodness!

See top for more info.  Here are the new links if you can't be bothered to go back up:

The Grass is Still Green

Fried Cheese Artery Rampage

Happy listening!

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: Even More New Que Music! So new it HURTS!
« Reply #12 on: Monday, November 06, 2006, 02:35:47 AM »
I liked both of them, a lot more well rounded and placed together better than the previous two (even though I liked those as well), sounds like you are getting better with the drum placement too.  Fried Cheese Artery Rampage flowed very nicely, I can see why you were happy with it when you posted it. 

Also, not to go off topic, but what's up with your new avatar and sig?  I can tell it has something to do with your novel but where did you get the pictures from, did you take them or something?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Even More New Que Music! So new it HURTS!
« Reply #13 on: Monday, November 06, 2006, 07:41:41 AM »
Heh, nah.  Was just some stock from DA.  I was fiddling with some stuff in PS the other day and thought I'd use some of what I'd fiddled with for a new sig/avatar.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Que Music -- updated 11-13-2006!
« Reply #14 on: Monday, November 13, 2006, 02:43:40 AM »
Over Blue Oceans

New tune!  Check it out.  I gotta' sleep...

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: Monday, November 13, 2006, 04:03:21 PM »
Over Blue Oceans

New tune!  Check it out.  I gotta' sleep...

I don't really have anything detailed to say about it, but I do like it.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: Monday, November 13, 2006, 05:44:16 PM »
I actually didn't care for Over Blue Oceans all that much, too much distortion for my taste I guess.

I do like just about everything else posted though. Fried Cheese Artery Rampage being my favorite of the bunch.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #17 on: Monday, November 13, 2006, 06:56:28 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  And you know, this sounded fine last night, but apparently the WAV got fucked up.  I'm listening to it now and it's distorting the waveform (I'm not talking about the guitar tone) all over the place.  No idea how that happened.  Or maybe my speakers are just finally dying... hmm.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, November 14, 2006, 03:34:39 PM »
Well... that could certainly explain my complaint.