Author Topic: Playstation Move  (Read 3776 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Playstation Move
« on: Friday, March 12, 2010, 02:38:13 PM »
http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/11/playstation-move-everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know/

So overall a bit disappointing. While MS's 360 add on, Project Natal, looks like something very cool and innovative, this seems to be a shameless copy of the Wiimote.

I know the Wii serves a purpose, at least when it comes to its more mass market focus, but that ship has already sailed.

What is the point of this really, when aside from the stupid colored ball, it seems to be the same thing?

At this point, all I can hope for is that the Playstation move uses better technology so the motion detection is significantly better than the Wii mote, and Sony actually has a good lineup that actually uses this thing without it feeling like a half-assed afterthought.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Playstation Move
« Reply #1 on: Friday, March 12, 2010, 02:41:32 PM »
Well, Engdaget covered the hardware, and joystiq does the software:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/10/hands-on-playstation-moves-sports-champions/

Apparently, it is like the Wii 1.5

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Friday, March 12, 2010, 02:51:35 PM »
This is going to have a hell of a time catching on, just because its sold separately. The Wii worked because that was all included and was the main purpose of the system. This is just an addon. They will need some damn good games to get it to take off.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Friday, March 12, 2010, 02:54:49 PM »
I watched the Sony press conference and I've gotta say, for something where they're bragging about it's precision, that shit looked really imprecise.

E3 this year is going to suck. It's gonna be all motion control crap. Though I'm sure there will be many laughs to be had.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Friday, March 12, 2010, 02:59:43 PM »
This is going to have a hell of a time catching on, just because its sold separately. The Wii worked because that was all included and was the main purpose of the system. This is just an addon. They will need some damn good games to get it to take off.

Yea I agree.

Same for Project Natal, though because it is so unique, it should have an easier time than the PS Move.

But it is all about the games. If they can make a Jedi fighting game, where the you can duel with these things and your movements are caught perfectly... then I will be playing with this all day and all night for the rest of the year. :P

I watched the Sony press conference and I've gotta say, for something where they're bragging about it's precision, that shit looked really imprecise.

E3 this year is going to suck. It's gonna be all motion control crap. Though I'm sure there will be many laughs to be had.

Yea... there isn't a single game that can convince me this is the future. I am not saying it is impossible... I am sure it will happen eventually... but no killer app yet.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #5 on: Friday, March 12, 2010, 06:55:45 PM »
I'm really not ready for motion anything at this point. Right now all of this is just starting out so it is going to be imprecise and gimmicky. I'm sort of hoping this doesn't catch on at all for Sony or Microsoft and they stick to what they have going already, but we all know that's not going to happen.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Friday, March 12, 2010, 07:07:23 PM »
I'm really not ready for motion anything at this point. Right now all of this is just starting out so it is going to be imprecise and gimmicky. I'm sort of hoping this doesn't catch on at all for Sony or Microsoft and they stick to what they have going already, but we all know that's not going to happen.

I doubt the Move will catch on with anything close to the popularity of the Wii, just because it's so much of the same. Natal I don't expect to either, unless it actually does everything they're saying (lol) and works perfectly (lol). The Wii is declining in sales either because fucking everyone has one, or because people are bored of it. Why buy another? I've yet to see anything from Natal or Move that excites me. On the contrary, seeing SOCOM with Move controls scares me because of what other franchises might have it crowbared in at the cost of traditional controls.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Friday, March 12, 2010, 08:18:23 PM »
http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/11/playstation-move-everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know/

So overall a bit disappointing. While MS's 360 add on, Project Natal, looks like something very cool and innovative, this seems to be a shameless copy of the Wiimote.

I know the Wii serves a purpose, at least when it comes to its more mass market focus, but that ship has already sailed.

What is the point of this really, when aside from the stupid colored ball, it seems to be the same thing?

At this point, all I can hope for is that the Playstation move uses better technology so the motion detection is significantly better than the Wii mote, and Sony actually has a good lineup that actually uses this thing without it feeling like a half-assed afterthought.

Nintendo already upped the precision significantly with Wii Motion Plus.

Yes, E3 will probably suck, and control will suck for a while on all consoles.  I fear the gimmick will rule over sensible controllers/control schemes, and not just on the Wii anymore.  Dammit!

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Friday, March 12, 2010, 08:33:11 PM »

But it is all about the games. If they can make a Jedi fighting game, where the you can duel with these things and your movements are caught perfectly... then I will be playing with this all day and all night for the rest of the year. :P

The thing about this (as far as I know) is it will never really work out that way because there's no resistance. You swing and your enemy blocks - all of a sudden there's no synchronization because you carried out the motion to completion, but your character didn't.

As for motion controls, I don't think either will be as mainstream as on the Wii, but they don't have to be - they just need a few good games, and if they're catering to a different audience, that'll make it a bit easier for them. I'm not into them either really, but I do see the appeal sometimes.

To be honest, I think Nintendo might have fucked themselves up a bit with the Wii.  They've pushed so hared to cater to the mainstream audience and pushed away quite a large portion of the audience that buys and plays a ton of games (I'm reluctant to use the word "hardcore" or "gamer" here).  When this console cycle ends, I think they'll have a hard time convincing the mass market purchasers that they need to upgrade.  They'll also probably have a hard time convincing the "hardcore gamer" segment that the console will be worthwhile at full price when there may not be all that many appealing games on it.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, March 13, 2010, 12:40:20 AM »
Nintendo already upped the precision significantly with Wii Motion Plus.

Yea the accuracy of the Playstation Move is about on par with the accuracy of the Wii with the MotionPlus installed.  With that in mind though, many, many games do not utilize the MotionPlus and it has been out for about 9 months now, though it is starting to get some more support.  I think the best support for it is still Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10.

I don't mind have a couple of motion related games, but I totally prefer playing with a traditional controller instead. 

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2010, 02:03:55 AM »

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2010, 03:10:02 AM »
hahah

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, February 01, 2011, 03:07:22 PM »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, February 01, 2011, 03:16:02 PM »
Seems like it would be more useful than Kinect on PC.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, February 01, 2011, 05:42:30 PM »
It would be more useful than Kinect on the Xbox too.