Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS  (Read 11318 times)

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
Re: Nintendo 3DS
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, July 28, 2011, 06:55:42 AM »
The 3DS is dropping to $169.99. Plus some free games thrown in there, DSiware games and GBA games which I think are downloadable on the store too. I wonder if this will help boost it's sales enough to Nintendo's liking. I still don't have any inclination to buy one. I traded my DS Lite for an XL last summer and I've barely touched it. Any handheld gaming I do is on my iPod now.

Actually I think you're mistaken.  By the way I read it, it suggests that the only people who bought the 3DS before the price drop will receive the free games.  Sort of a "yeah we know we screwed you, have some games" deal. 

I think the problem in part is due to the fact that mobile gaming is shifting a tad, and that people weren't inherently ready to give up the DS platform.  I'm still having a ton of fun with mine.  My XL was one of the best gaming-related purchases I've made in years. The fact that I got it 40% off during Game Crazy's closing sale makes it all the better.  I LOVE that thing. 

Also, the only real selling point over the DS is the 3D function, which is 'meh' at best.  I'm not going to say the 3DS will go the way of the Virtual Boy, but I would not be surprised in the slightest to see the successor platform a little sooner than we would have otherwise.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, July 28, 2011, 07:08:21 AM »
Actually I think you're mistaken.  By the way I read it, it suggests that the only people who bought the 3DS before the price drop will receive the free games.  Sort of a "yeah we know we screwed you, have some games" deal.

My brother was telling me that the free games are only for early adopters. He said it's people who access the e-shop before a certain date (early August, maybe the 10th?) will get the free games. 5 virtual console games, and 5 GBA classics (which may or may not show up on the shop at some point).

I don't know, I could have some of the details off. I'm just going by what he told me earlier. The free games are definitely only for people who bought it before a certain date though.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, July 28, 2011, 07:12:19 AM »
Those who own a 3DS and connect to the Nintendo eShop before 11:59PM EST on August 11 will be automatically enrolled into the "Nintendo 3DS Ambassador" program.
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/28/current-3ds-owners-eligible-for-free-games/

My daughters and I went into Gamestop at a mall recently, and they had a 3DS on display.  My older girl started to play this fighting game on it, and I was watching from the left.  The 3D effect was clear as a bell.  I thought this thing needed for you to be in a narrow sweet spot.  I was mildly impressed.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, July 28, 2011, 07:19:11 AM »
Yeah, the 3d effect in Street Fighter is pretty nice, but only if the switch is barely turned on.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, July 28, 2011, 10:10:54 AM »
Price is getting into my "want to buy" range, just need the game library to catch up.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #45 on: Thursday, July 28, 2011, 12:17:52 PM »
The 3D effect on the 3DS is cool and it is equally cool how you can turn it off if you want.  But I don't like the design very much.  The sparkling teal makes it seem like something out of the early-mid 90's.  It also appears to me to be less refined looking than a DS Lite.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #46 on: Thursday, July 28, 2011, 01:04:13 PM »
It looks less refined because of the inevitable 3DS lite hardware revision down the road.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #47 on: Thursday, July 28, 2011, 01:58:45 PM »
Haha, so true.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday, September 07, 2011, 07:16:52 AM »
It may not be a 3DS Lite, but how about an addon that adds a second analog stick and shoulder buttons?

...Yeah. Thats what I thought too.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, September 07, 2011, 10:04:11 AM »
Heh.  PS3DS.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #50 on: Thursday, September 08, 2011, 06:57:46 AM »
Stupid. I have no interest in the 3DS. This just means I have even less. Idiots should learn to design a piece of hardware that fucking works in the first place.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #51 on: Thursday, September 08, 2011, 07:27:17 AM »
Yea, there is lots of worry that a revision to the device with a second analog stick is in the works, but I honestly think Nintendo wouldn't be that boneheaded to do something like that. This just feels like a stupid accessory for use with just this one game.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #52 on: Thursday, September 08, 2011, 12:24:30 PM »
why is Nintendo fracturing its already diminutive 3DS audience?

This excellent question just nails it.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #53 on: Thursday, October 27, 2011, 10:11:09 AM »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: Thursday, October 27, 2011, 12:16:56 PM »
I'm sorry to see that.  I have completely lost interest in Nintendo myself since the first year of the Wii.  After the few good intro titles, there was nothing else to see, and I moved on to greener pastures.  I don't know how that squares with their demographic, though.  The DS was my last handheld (from any company) and I don't feel like I'm missing anything with the gimmicky 3DS.  I certainly have no interest in buying games I've already played, even with better graphics (or 3D gimmickery).  The only thing I see coming up is Skyward Sword, and I'm starting to hear some troubling rumors of a control scheme better suited to Nintendo agendas than experienced players.  I sure hope those are unfounded.

They've lost their way, and I hope they find it again.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #55 on: Friday, June 22, 2012, 02:07:00 AM »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #56 on: Friday, June 22, 2012, 07:53:05 AM »
If/when I buy a 3DS, thats the one I'd probably get.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #57 on: Monday, April 22, 2013, 10:26:44 AM »
Well I bought one, a 3DS XL that is, with two games: Zelda OoT and Luigi's Mansion. Right now if you get an XL with either Luigi's Mansion or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon you can redeem a code for a free downloadable 3DS game from a selection of 5, I chose Super Mario Land 3D. The most time I've put into it right now is with Zelda. I'm pretty I impressed with the 3D effect, it's definitely winning me over, the main nuance with it is you need to keep the handheld at a proper distance and angle from your face, it's not too strict but if you end up moving it too much it will get blurred and you'll see double, it can be a little disorienting when it happens. I've been keeping it at the house and charged so I can't say much about how the battery life is. The interface stuff isn't bad, like iOS its just rows of tiles but I havent figured out how to remove stuff. The Nintendo store could also be better. I'll have to through my friend code up here if any of you want to add me when I get around to it.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Re: Nintendo 3DS
« Reply #58 on: Monday, April 22, 2013, 11:36:46 AM »
I'm still waiting for a flash card, but I'm pretty interested in the 3DS.  But holy fuck, they're using friend codes still??

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, April 23, 2013, 08:06:20 AM »
New take on overhead Zelda is the first thing that makes me pay the 3DS serious attention.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, April 23, 2013, 08:11:28 AM »
New take on overhead Zelda is the first thing that makes me pay the 3DS serious attention.
Hot damn! That actually made me seriously consider getting a 3DS too!

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, April 23, 2013, 11:23:00 AM »
Oh thank gods they don't have Link doing the Ocarina of Time yeps and yelps whenever he swings his sword. That almost single-highhandedly killed the port of LttP for the GBA.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: Sunday, June 09, 2013, 03:04:35 PM »
Realistically I'll be picking up one of these within the next year or so.  It kind of seems like the place to go to get Nintendo games, and the price isn't too bad at all.  I'm torn over whether I want the smaller or larger model, but maybe something will come out before I actually take the plunge and that will make my mind up for me.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: Friday, June 28, 2013, 06:37:29 AM »
The Legend of Zelda:  A Link Between Worlds gameplay.  Camera aimed at the handheld from the side, but still worth a watch.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: Friday, June 28, 2013, 09:46:41 PM »
It looks cool....but that guy sounded and acted pretty damn dumb.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: Friday, July 12, 2013, 09:30:08 PM »
Apartment got robbed the other day.  Worst criminals ever, they passed up all kinds of expensive shit and only stole electronics, namely a couple of cameras, some old broken cell phones, a PS3, some wii motes and my DS.  So, looks like I'm upgrading to a 3DS!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #66 on: Friday, July 12, 2013, 09:54:35 PM »
Hooray!

oh wait, fuck. Sorry to hear that man.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: Friday, July 12, 2013, 10:12:33 PM »
Eh, whatever.  The PS3 was kind of a bitch because we ran netflix and our media server through it, but we'll get another one.  The timing just sucks because they'll probably be waaaaay cheaper in a few months. 

The DS is mainly a pain because my cycloDS was in there and it is now solidified that after four or so attempts, I will NEVER finish Final Fantasy IV...but that's cool, I've been over RPGs for a while now.

Oh, and Picross.  Damn, I love Picross.