Author Topic: Gamestop Fuck ups  (Read 3542 times)

Offline PyroMenace

Gamestop Fuck ups
« on: Friday, April 02, 2010, 05:49:26 PM »
So yea, I really need to stop giving them anymore business at all.

A couple weeks ago they ran a sale of buy 1 used game get another used game free. The deal was supposed to last a week, but due to all the orders they got from it, they cut the deal short and it only lasted like 2 or 3 days.

Today they have a coupon where it gives you 25% off of all orders over $100 which meant you could buy the new 250GB hard drive for the 360 for a $100 which I was going to jump on. Gamestop notices this and changes the coupon restrictions to where it won't work on consoles and hard drives. All orders on those hard drives were cancelled.

Seriously, fuck those guys.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Re: Gamestop Fuck ups
« Reply #1 on: Friday, April 02, 2010, 07:26:49 PM »
Clearly their 'sales' aren't working to their advantage so they modify them so they do.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Friday, April 02, 2010, 07:38:26 PM »
Yeah, fuck them.  I try to avoid using them as much as possible but I usually cave in and pre-order something with them if it comes with a cool pre-order bonus that no one else is offering for a game I really want.  This is rare though, I usually just pre-order and buy games on Amazon or the local game store here.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, April 03, 2010, 10:28:06 AM »
Gamestop Fuck ups

Isn't the title of this thread redundant?  :P

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, April 03, 2010, 11:20:10 AM »

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, April 03, 2010, 01:18:37 PM »
I don't give them my business at all anymore. It's such trash. Their employees suck, and their practices are even worse. I go to Best Buy, or Target or order off of amazon.

When a game is fucking open...it's used! Oh, it's the shelf model. Yeah, it's a fucking used shelf model! dipshits.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, April 03, 2010, 04:11:30 PM »
My D2 Exchange story w/ GS is there.

First time I read this one... that is just unbelievable. How the hell is this company still functioning with shit like this going on?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, April 04, 2010, 04:55:34 AM »

First time I read this one... that is just unbelievable. How the hell is this company still functioning with shit like this going on?

Yeah, I mean really - I hate the way they do business. I mean, they screwed-up TWICE there.

B/c of that story, I always check to make sure I have everything before I leave that place, since they are known to gut the boxes of their game and re-seal them. You never know what the hell they forget to put back in the box and whatnot...

Really shady business...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, April 04, 2010, 12:24:25 PM »
I'll tell you why they're still in business: because nobody's smart enough to give a fuck.  Same reason Microsoft is still selling 360s.  People don't fucking care about quality, about service, or about getting shafted.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, April 04, 2010, 05:30:01 PM »
Man, why do you always do that.  I give a fuck about quality.  I give a fuck about service.  I give a fuck about being shafted.  I also give a fuck about a library of 26 games suddenly becoming useless.  That trumps the other 3 fucks in my book.  Your mileage may vary.  I don't, however, give a fuck about Gamestop.  They can die tomorrow, and I'd like the world better for it too.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, April 04, 2010, 05:31:27 PM »
I'll tell you why they're still in business: because nobody's smart enough to give a fuck.  Same reason Microsoft is still selling 360s.  People don't fucking care about quality, about service, or about getting shafted.

I just don't get it, either.

About GS - I know people who buy a game, finish it, sell it, and get jack squat back for $ - which they wind up putting towards another game. Skip that. If I spend top dollar for a brand new game, I want some good money back, if I'mma sell it back to them - especially given how much GS over-sells a used game for.

I used to complain about FuncoLand doing that - but GS is freaking worse w/ this used Games business.

EDIT:
Man, why do you always do that.  I give a fuck about quality.  I give a fuck about service.  I give a fuck about being shafted.  I also give a fuck about a library of 26 games suddenly becoming useless.  That trumps the other 3 fucks in my book.  Your mileage may vary.  I don't, however, give a fuck about Gamestop.  They can die tomorrow, and I'd like the world better for it too.

I think Que was referring to the majority of "casual" gamers, not us truly hardcore folks...

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, April 04, 2010, 09:47:37 PM »
When I got my DS there were three games I wanted really badly: Advance Wars DS, Phoenix Wright and Trauma Center. I used to work at a restaurant that was right next to a Game Stop so I would head over there on break or after work to look for those games. I did this everyday for weeks, but I never found a single one. One day, I go over there and see Advance Wars DS, I snatch it up and take it to the counter. The guy behind the counter looks for it and can't find it, he goes through all of the games, but it isn't there. I eventually had to settle for Mario and Luigi, not a bad game, but not what I wanted.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, April 04, 2010, 11:53:01 PM »
I just wrote this long rant about Gamestop and realized that is applies to all large chain stores. Why are they in business? It's all very simple.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Monday, April 05, 2010, 08:23:20 AM »
I don't think so.  I've never been shafted by Best Buy.  They've never tried to sell me something used for 90% of the retail price of new.  They've never tried to sell me something used as new.  They've never gone back on a deal.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #15 on: Monday, April 05, 2010, 10:58:59 AM »
I did get sort of shafted by Best Buy once, although it was their installation department.  They waited until I had already bought my head unit for my car and back in the installation area before they told me there was an extra 20 dollar charge to put the iPod cable in my glove box.  I'm like "no big deal just run it to the floor and i'll do it" and they told me that they could not do that, and if they did they would not be able to honor my warranty.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #16 on: Monday, April 05, 2010, 11:15:30 AM »
I hate Best Buy.  I bought a home theatre set (TV, sound system) from them and they refused to price match the TV for a lower price.  So I returned it and bought it somewhere else.  The issue is that Best Buy staff earn wages based on hours and not commission, so they don't give a fuck about customer service and maintaining a good relationship with the customer. 

Luckily, Future Shop (which is owned by Best Buy) still pays commission so the employees there are a lot better.

Obviously for small transactions like video games or movies it's not a big deal, but when dealing with larger transactions involving major appliances or TVs, I avoid Best Buy like the plague now.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #17 on: Monday, April 05, 2010, 11:24:18 AM »
My experiences with Future Shop taught me that their employees will do anything for a commission. Twice I have been considering buying something from there when an employee strongly hinted that I could just return the item later and he'd still get his commission haha.

I guess it was because I was a student at the time, and they being students themselves probably thought I'd see it their way.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, April 06, 2010, 10:20:07 AM »

Luckily, Future Shop (which is owned by Best Buy) still pays commission so the employees there are a lot better.

Depends on how you look at it.  They are paid commission, but commission is based on store markup (as well as overall price).  You know what has a ton of markup?  Usually products that aren't the best brands or are just plain old snake oil. The market price on something like a Samsung HDTV or iPod is pretty hard set and they have to compete with every other retailer out there.  The commission they make on a Samsung is decent, but if there's an LG of lower quality beside it is selling for $100 less but has more markup built in, they're going to push that one.  By the same token, if that LG isn't selling or they have to clear because a new model is coming and it won't make sense to sell it at that price point in 5 days, the merchandising officer (what I did for a very very short time) alerts the sales staff that there is now an included markup bonus on that unit, and guess what?  All of a sudden there's 5 guys on the floor telling you that you don't really need 1080P on your 56 in screen, so save $50 and get the 720p from 3 years ago at today's prices...you'll never notice the difference as long as you get all these Monster Cables and shielding surge protector.

That's the other thing...all the snake oil.  A lot of those guys make probably 70-80% of their commission on unnecessary shit like Monster Cables and Product Replacement Plans that they're pushed to sell.  You know, the shit that they trick your parents into buying so all of a sudden the sweet deal where they just got a TV at 15% off just turned into an extra $400 for nothing at all.

So yeah, it's probably a bit better if you walk in there knowing what you want and what you should pay for it, but it's probably a lot worse if you're one of our parents just walking in there hoping that some guy is going to sell you something with your best interest at heart.