Author Topic: The 9 Most Badass Fictional Characters in History  (Read 3070 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
The 9 Most Badass Fictional Characters in History
« on: Wednesday, November 01, 2006, 03:18:11 AM »
The 9 Most Badass Fictional Characters in History was made by Zero of Shoutwire.

1. Tyler Durden
Of course, what better way to start this list off than with the man who lives within us all? “I look how you want to look, I fuck how you want to fuck…” The thing about him is that he won’t kick your ass himself, he will convince you to do it for him. Not only that, but afterwards you will feel freer than you have ever felt in your life.

2. John McClain
This name was the answer given when Osama Bin Laden was asked what his worst fear was. Before we had homeland security, we had John McLain. He single-handedly thwarted every terrorist attempt on US soil from the late eighties to the early nineties, half the time without even having proper footwear.

3. James Bond
There is only one Bond and his name is Connery. This guy could show up in your country, sleep with all your women, kill them along with all your henchmen, destroy your plans to dominate the world, blow up your hideout, and drink all your martinis before you could utter the phrase “Shaken, not stirred.”

4. Brock Sampson
If you are unfamiliar with the Venture Bros., you may not know this name. That is cool because Brock doesn’t give a shit what you know. He is too busy killing ninjas and ghost pirates to care what a bunch of net nerds think. Whatever you do, just don’t try to tell him where he can and can’t camp.

5. Obi Wan Kenobi
He may not be the most powerful Jedi, but on any given day he can triumph in a battle. He is like the wildcard. Whether his opponent is Darth Maul, Darth Vader, or just a super crazy Jedi-killing machine, he can pull out the win. Obi is the underdog that too many villains have taken lightly and ended up either cut in half or burned beyond recognition.

6. Achilles
“Does he think he will take the beach of Troy with 30 men?” Yes, yes he does. Actually, he would do it himself if he didn’t care enough about his men to get them a decent kill count as well. Gold statues of sun gods do not scare him, and neither do kings who are to full of themselves to realize who the real winner is in a battle. Bonus points awarded for killing the bitch ass Hector.

7. Batman
You can not defeat the bat. Not even if you have super powers and he does not. One might argue that he is nothing without his toys, but don’t let him hear you say that. He might just drop his utility belt and punch you in the face so hard your future kids will be born knocked the fuck out

8. Wolverine
This is the most homicidal little ball of hair you will ever see in your life. This one is bad ass not only because of his killing abilities, but also his ability to take pain. Everything he does hurts. Bad. Imagine having your flesh ripped open by three sharp knives every time you want to open a beer. Logan doesn’t even blink an eye. He actually enjoys it.

9. Red Foreman
“I may be the only man in this room who has actually killed a guy.” The thing about Red was that he never had to kick anyone’s ass. A look was enough to shiver the timbers of the even most seasoned pirate. A police officer once pulled Red over. Red let him off with a warning. It doesn’t get any more bad ass than that.

Personally I think it shoulda been a top 10 list, with Tony Montana somewhere in there! :P

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: The 9 Most Badass Fictional Characters in History
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, November 01, 2006, 07:32:37 AM »
They forgot Gatsu from Berserk.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, November 01, 2006, 12:16:01 PM »
They forgot Gatsu from Berserk.
Damn, even I forgot Gats! They probably aren't aware of him. Gats is easily more badass than Tyler Durden!

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, November 01, 2006, 04:35:11 PM »
A.) shoutwire is the worst 'web 2.0' site of it's kind out there.  A shitty digg.com ripoff with nothing but editorials and political commentary from uneducated 16-20 year olds (or at least people that act like uneducated 16-20 year olds).  There's probalby like a thousand regular users and about 15-20 contributers. Great.

B.) Zero from shoutwire is one of the worst offenders.  I know this because everytime you go to torrentspy.com there's the top 10 shoutwire stories right there on the front page.  Usually one or two of them are by Zero.  Usually it's just him trying to sound like Maddox but failing horribly because all he's basically doing is copying Maddox's writing style but somehow twisting it to being something unfunny.  That and all he does is jump on internet fads. 

C.) Why 9?

D.) I'll agree with Brock Sampson, Batman, and that's pretty much it.  Here's why:

Tyler Durden:  I don't even know if I'd go so far as to even call him a character in the true sense.  He may or may not deserve to be on this list, but considering the slew of badass characters out there in fiction, I'd opt for no.  Fightclub was a good movie, but Tyler Durden is no Frank Miller's Marv.

John McClain:  Probably deserves to be on this list, but while he does do some awesome shit, he doesn't really have the attitude that usually goes along with good badass characters.  I'd opt for Bruce's character in The Last Boyscout instead.  "Touch me again and I'll kill you."

James Bond: Mmmmmmm...not badass...not at all.  He's awesome, but that doesn't make him badass.

Obi Wan Kenobi:  Are you fucking kidding me?  There's pretty much nothing badass about him.

Achilles: Yeah, like most characters of his type in Greek literature the original source material kind of makes him sound like a pansy.  It's probably a cultural thing, but he cries...quite a bit.  Not to mention during the Trojan War (I can't remember if it's in the movie or not) he's just whining like 70% of the time.

Wolverine: While I would agree that he is somewhat badass, how hard is it really to be badass when you have huge ass claws, a healing factor that makes you almost impossible to kill, and a feral personality type.  With that combination you've really only got one career option and the only way to accomplish it is to be a bit badass.  Batman on the other hand is just badass because he's out there on the same super team as Superman, Wonder Woman, and the Green Lantern and he's got shit all for superpowers.  It's like a cripple making in the nba.  Fucking crazy.

Red Forman:  From what I remembered he talked a good game, but that doesn't make you badass.  He might be, but since there was never an episode of the 70's Show where he had to rescue Fez and Eric from rouge spec ops agents we'll never really know.

Now, substitute:

Tyler Durden ----->Mr. Hyde
John McClain---->Dirty Harry, or aforementioned Bruce Willis character
James Bond---->'Jason Bourne' (from the books not movies)/Solid Snake
Obi Wan----->Darth Vader (Not Skywalker), the Emperor, or pretty much anyone.
Achilles---->Hercules (although he does cry a lot as well), Jason, Ioles, or well...most greek heroes. If you want to go all the way...Kratos.
Wolverine---->Spiderman (constantly gets the shit kicked out of him by people with better powers and keeps coming), The Punisher,  Marv.
Red Forman---->Jack Bauer, the guy from A History of Violence, or any other dad you've actually SEEN do badass stuff.

There's a more badass character from each archetype off the top of my head.  Imagine what you could find if you think up all the books,  movies, and other fictional works you've run across and didn't fit them into these archetypes. 

But lets not forget that Winters is the most badass character...fictional or Not.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, November 01, 2006, 06:56:35 PM »
Guts beats all, I tell you.  And yeah, I thought this list was pretty sad.  But making lists of "badass" fictional characters seems sad in general, really.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, November 01, 2006, 10:04:58 PM »
Haha I think the guy may have a bit of an obsession with Brad Pitt :P I mean two of the supposedly "badass" characters he chose were played by Brad Pitt! And they weren't significantly badass (unlike the absolute badassians: Brock Samson, Wolverine, Batman, or Guts).

I have to agree with GPW on shoutwire :P A lot of the commentary I've seen there is either juvenile or repugnant.

I love Top Lists (Top 10 List is the only things I like about Dave Letterman's show), so I'll probably be making a few on here :D MMost likely in the form of polls :P