Author Topic: This HP 2GHz P4 PC sorta dropped into my lap . . .  (Read 2568 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
This HP 2GHz P4 PC sorta dropped into my lap . . .
« on: Wednesday, November 01, 2006, 12:57:09 PM »
. . . and it works, except that I can't get it to connect to the internet for shit.  It was set up for some sort of virtual network, and dialup.  I nuked as much of that stuff as I coud find, but all my attempts to have it use the existing broadband from the router meet with failure.  It sees the connection (although at only 10 mbps), and it's funny that it can see my Azureus settings in the router (ports set up for it and stuff), but nothing else wants to filter through.  Should I do something like delete and reinstall protocols?  Right now it's not even set up anymore.  My ex was bitching about it taking up space on her dining room table.  Here's a free fairly modern PC with XP SP2 on it, and all she can do is bitch, bitch . . .   :(

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: This HP 2GHz P4 PC sorta dropped into my lap . . .
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, November 01, 2006, 04:04:46 PM »
Personally I'd completely reformat it and reinstall windows and try to get all the networking going from a fresh install.  It'll probably save time in the long run, especially since theres a good chance you'll run into some other problem down the road.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, November 01, 2006, 04:22:00 PM »
I thought of that, but besides the normal pain of that route, I'd be throwing out the licensed WinXP SP2 which is already on there.  I don't have a legit replacement for it, and the thing didn't come with a Windows disc.  (Hell, it didn't come with anything, no keyboard, mouse, screen, or even a power cord.  My ex's sister got it from somebody she knows.  I have no other details now.)  If that's what it takes, I'll have to use my old XP Pro standby with no service packs.  If the USB ports are 2.0 (not sure yet) no SP1 will cause a problem.  Ick.

Oh well.  Relegated to the storage shelf for now.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, November 01, 2006, 04:47:55 PM »
have you tried bypassing the router at all?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, November 01, 2006, 06:53:56 PM »
It's times like this I wish I was smart and/or helpful.  Sorry.  =(

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, November 02, 2006, 05:49:20 AM »
Strange problem.  Could have been a former corporate laptop that requires some sort of authentication before it will let you onto a network, or is looking for a proxy server that doesn't exist.

Is ISA Server Client installed?  If so, get rid of that.  Also any VPN (virtual private network) stuff, which could be Windows settings or third-party clients like the Cisco one.  Make sure it's set up to use a workgroup, not a domain.  Make sure it's not set up to look for a proxy. After that, try running through the Windows Network Setup Wizard.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, November 02, 2006, 07:37:30 AM »
Thanks, Scott.  The system's shelved right now, but when I get back to it, the first thing I'll look into is that VPN stuff.  I know that's part of it.  You're probably right about a restrictive corporate setup.  I'm going to visit my family in Cincy here soon, and I doubt I'll lug this thing with me.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, November 02, 2006, 06:29:35 PM »
This HP 2GHz P4 PC sorta dropped into my lap . . .
Ow... How much did that weigh?