Author Topic: Rockstar pulled a Ubisoft for Max Payne 2 on Steam  (Read 3090 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Rockstar pulled a Ubisoft for Max Payne 2 on Steam
« on: Wednesday, May 12, 2010, 09:15:29 AM »
Ahhhh....

Instead of redoing the executable themselves so the Steam version doesn't go looking for a CD in a drive, they release the game using a cracked exe from a pirate group. Classy.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Rockstar pulled a Ubisoft for Max Payne 2 on Steam
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2010, 09:21:18 AM »
This sort of behavior is pretty baffling.  It seems to me that it would be smarter to just go back to the source, comment out the method that calls the DRM, then recompile.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2010, 09:49:42 AM »
Really.  All I can think of is that they fucked the tech guy(s) who really did the hard work, they left, and now they have no clue how to change anything.   :P

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2010, 10:03:10 AM »
Yeah, I would guess the guys that know how to do that either aren't there anymore or they too busy working on other things to pull them off to go digging through the source code of a game they released 7 years ago. Or maybe they don't even have the source anymore.

Either way, they look at is as the pirates have already accomplished what they need done so why do the work yourself? Its not like they ever plan on having to patch the game at this point.

Its just funny that pirates are evil and must be stamped out...unless they are useful and save us time.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2010, 10:15:30 AM »
Oh, 7-year-old game?  Yeah, dead and buried source and know-how.  Much easier to use the hackers' handiwork.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2010, 12:52:10 PM »
Sorry, that's just very fucking unprofessional.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2010, 01:39:32 PM »
As long as the cracked version DOESN'T contain any additional malware, who really cares? The gamers are who are most important - and who don't have to deal anymore w/ some sort of bullshit DRM are the ones who do deserve to benefit from this.

BTW, GOG has recently done this w/ their copies of Arcanum - check their forums.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2010, 01:56:07 PM »
As long as the cracked version DOESN'T contain any additional malware, who really cares?

Its just funny that pirates are evil and must be stamped out...unless they are useful and save us time.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2010, 04:59:49 PM »
Beautiful.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2010, 06:20:11 PM »
Yeah, I would guess the guys that know how to do that either aren't there anymore or they too busy working on other things to pull them off to go digging through the source code of a game they released 7 years ago. Or maybe they don't even have the source anymore.
GOG has mentioned before that when they get a game approved to be sold on their site, they sometimes will get the master copy and/or source, sometimes they won't - but they will get permission to re-release whatever version they find; even if it's a cracked copy.

Either way, they look at is as the pirates have already accomplished what they need done so why do the work yourself? Its not like they ever plan on having to patch the game at this point.
Yeah - the pirates who stole the game illegally already probably cost [Insert Game Dev's and Publisher] a $40-60 worth of money from being made sometime around day of release.

Of course, if a pirate who steals a game and then goes out and actually buys the game at full price is not costing the publisher and dev's to actually lose a sale here.

It's just funny that pirates are evil and must be stamped out...unless they are useful and save us time.
Aren't pirates and DRM-cracking groups two different things altogether?  :o
I'm sure some do dabble in both, though.
But I'd guess many people who pirate don't know how to even crack DRM.

EDIT:
Max Payne 2 - Steam Version has been updated w/ an earlier version of the game which doesn't have Myth's logo all over it.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 12, 2010, 07:12:53 PM by MysterD »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2010, 08:12:24 PM »
So they downgraded the game? Thats kinda....worse.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2010, 08:44:58 PM »

Basically, yep - LOL.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, May 13, 2010, 05:22:12 AM »
Yeah, it's a publicity nightmare for them.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, May 13, 2010, 01:44:45 PM »
Of course it's a publicity nightmare - b/c Take-Two DOES own the IP now, so they really SHOULD have the Source Code somewhere stashed safely. That or they should GET the source code from the dev's who made the game - if they legally are allowed to it.

I don't think the company using a cracked-version is a problem to me, since pirates/hackers really have no legal rights to be cracking some OTHER company's game in the first place. Though, the company probably really should put the hackers/crackers in the Credits somewhere if they gonna use their crack. ;)