Author Topic: dead foot?  (Read 2719 times)

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
dead foot?
« on: Friday, November 03, 2006, 06:10:12 AM »
I've been dropping things the whole day.  I broke a bottle of unopened bbq sauce...  and well, while i was cleaning up the floor, i got some little bits of glass in my foot, i washed it and thought it's all good.. but i think there's still some glass left, problem is, i can't find it but i can feel it there.. what'll happen if i leave it in?
Taken.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: dead foot?
« Reply #1 on: Friday, November 03, 2006, 08:19:55 AM »
If you're vaccinated you should be fine in terms of viral infection, but if some shards get to your bloodstream it can be fatal. I'm just speculating, but it might be a good idea to get a doctor to look at it.

Hehe I just remembered when I was about 12 I stepped on a blade of glass (it was about 10cm long) that went right through my shoe and apparently it went about have-way into my foot, which I didn't know at the time it happened. I went out with my family the rest of the evening, and when we got home a few hours later, I took off my shoe to discover a blood soaked sock and a 3cm slit on the sole of my foot! I have no idea how I didn't feel it, but I just band-aided it and went to bed :P

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #2 on: Friday, November 03, 2006, 08:39:05 AM »
It will most likely come out naturally over time. Our skin sheds, it will be pushed out, etc. Just like leaving a splinter in. Wouldn't hurt to go see a doctor, though. You can never be too careful.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Friday, November 03, 2006, 09:00:47 AM »
Wash with normal water (or saline) if necessary, apply antibiotic ointment, and get a bandage. Don't use alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, or any of those 19th-century disinfectants; they have a nasty tendency to kill your own cells, too. Unless you have glass deeply embedded in your foot, a doctor visit is probably unnecessary; it should come out on its own.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Friday, November 03, 2006, 09:03:02 AM »
And no, your foot won't become necrotic.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #5 on: Friday, November 03, 2006, 09:54:50 AM »
I once stepped on a small shard of glass.  It was bleeding pretty bad.  But I looked at the wound and couldn't find anything.  Put a band-aid on there and went about my business.  It was bothering me a good two weeks and while it was healing, it wasn't healing great.

I took another look and peeled the partial scab off and lo and behold, the piece of glass was still there.  I took it out and it healed up pretty quickly.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Friday, November 03, 2006, 10:24:44 PM »
well it's still in there.. my cousin who's a nurse is near where i live right now and she checked the foot out and said we'd probably have to cut it open to get to the glass, she's worried about tetanus cause i don't have shots.

And it did bleed, and I did wash it yesterday but the shard didn't come out.  it's really tiny.  She said if the swelling doesn't go away, then we'd definitely have to go about it.    another worry was this foot had an infection recently cause i got a bruise that popped during a soccer game (i was playing in the sand and didn't have shoes on).  and the wound just healed so, my immune system may still be compromised.  I've been bruising really easily too so..  oh well

thanks

Taken.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Friday, November 03, 2006, 10:36:46 PM »
Good luck Raisa! I hope your foot gets well soon :)

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: Friday, November 03, 2006, 11:24:57 PM »
Bruises can pop?  That sounds miserable.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, November 04, 2006, 07:57:24 AM »
Kind of an ironic coincidence.. Right after I posted yesterday, I was heading to the kitchen and apparently stepped on a splinter which is now lodged in the bottom of my foot. I just thought it was weird; right after I read Raisa's thread about her foot and Ghandi's comment about splinters.