Author Topic: You guys see the new Mortal Kombat?  (Read 9181 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW

Offline PyroMenace

Re: New Mortal Kombat game trailer
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, June 10, 2010, 03:34:03 PM »
Yea I just watched it, it looks pretty damn cool even though I'm not much of an MK fan.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, June 10, 2010, 03:46:54 PM »
Fuckin' awesome.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, August 21, 2010, 11:59:39 AM »
Ed Boon of NetherRealm Studios on MK Reboot at GamesCon 2010.

Some topics include:
-> new combatants as DLC (they're undecided if that will be all pay; some free DLC and some pay; etc);
-> patching the game-up as they go along to tweak and re-balance the game more so if needed;
-> and they are thinking about possibly bringing it to the PC.

Please bring it here, NetherRealm!!! :)

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2011, 10:10:16 PM »
The demo is out on PSN!  It was pretty fun and ridiculous just like the old MK games and a step in the right direction with the series for sure.  I might end up have to get this next month when it comes out.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2011, 10:45:10 PM »
I'm going to have to check this out when I get to my pad with the PS3

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2011, 11:21:47 PM »
Yea Giantbomb has a quicklook of the demo, looks awesome.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
You guys see the new Mortal Kombat?
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, March 19, 2011, 07:09:04 AM »
There is a demo on the playstation network, and I think there might be one on Xbox, not positive.

It's actually pretty awesome! It's more of a throwback to the first couple games, you know...when they were good. I actually felt nostalgic while playing it.

Here is the Giant Bomb quicklook

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: You guys see the new Mortal Kombat?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, March 19, 2011, 08:11:19 AM »
Yep, checked out the demo and I liked it. The game mechanics are significantly improved, the visuals are pretty, and it still kinda pokes a bit of fun at itself :P

I think this will be the first Mortal Kombat game I like since MK2.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, March 19, 2011, 08:22:19 AM »
So, I read that the "Toastyyy!" guy is back.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, March 19, 2011, 10:48:48 AM »
Downloaded and played the demo.

Definitely a buy.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, March 19, 2011, 10:58:31 AM »
It does look pretty awesome and I'm thinking of getting it too.  Pug made a thread on it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, March 19, 2011, 11:18:06 AM »
I saw The MK Raiden Trailer recently - just awesome.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, March 19, 2011, 01:57:17 PM »
Yeah. It seems like the first time in a long time that the developers actually got what made Mortal Kombat fun. Props to them for that.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, March 19, 2011, 02:04:40 PM »
Yeah, at some point along the way the mythology and gameplay additions began to needlessly complicate the series.  Looks like it has been distilled with this version, which is very nice.

MK 2 obviously being the sweet spot.  Compared to 2, 3 felt very jerky and stiff.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, March 19, 2011, 07:15:44 PM »
So, in honor of the game's impending release some dude out there made a 2 hour compilation of fatalities from all sorts of games since, you know, Mortal Kombat started that whole trend. In addition to the usual stuff like Mortal Combat and Killer Instinct, there's a host of horrible 90's games and lesser loved gems like Samurai Showdown and Blazblue. He was even kind enough to make a sort of menu system that comes up if you just want to see a particular game.

Enjoy.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, March 19, 2011, 07:37:55 PM »
@Sirean
Thanks! Those MK Finishers bring back some great memories.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, March 19, 2011, 07:48:50 PM »
That was an awesome video Sy.  I remember the Eternal Champions finishers always being a bitch to pull off.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, March 19, 2011, 08:02:44 PM »
I remember the Eternal Champions finishers always being a bitch to pull off.
Oh, ain't that the truth!

Also, since we're at it - what the hell ever happened to Killer Instinct series? I used to play the hell out of those in the arcades.
Any KI3 planned?

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, March 19, 2011, 08:27:59 PM »
I'd say unlikely since it was a Rare/Nintendo joint deal.  I know the series gets shit on a lot, but I really enjoyed the games.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: Friday, March 25, 2011, 05:23:24 PM »
Aw. That's the first thing I've seen with the game that has made a me a little disappointed. It has nothing to do with the gameplay mind you. I wanted Cyrax and Sektor to be the speechless guys before that only vocalized with that cool reverberating robot sound. Giving them speech makes them a little less cool.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2011, 02:38:22 AM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 19, 2011, 09:03:30 PM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, April 21, 2011, 01:22:34 AM »
This game is phenomenal. Seriously. The story mode is fantastic (easily the best story mode in a fighting game to date, hands down, with cutscenes that go seamlessly right into combat), there's tons of shit to unlock, somewhere around 300 challenges, and it's even more funny/ridiculous/disgusting than it ever was. This is a beautiful fighting game with something for everyone.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, April 21, 2011, 06:40:06 AM »
I picked up the game too and it's been a lot of fun. The story mode hits all the nostalgia notes while actually being pretty good in its own right (that is, it'd be a damn fine bad fung-fuish movie).

I also hate to be *that guy* but having come away from MvC3 more or less disappointed, it's nice to have a clear winner in the fighting game rivalry of the moment. MvC3, while a good fighter, just missed so much potential in making a well rounded game by being so barebones. I appreciate that so much effort went into making Mortal Kombat more than something that would be put into an arcade machine and it's clear from all the different costumes, modes, story, and unlockables that a lot of thought actually went into what actually holds up the fighting engine. As someone who primarily enjoys games for story, context can add a lot to a game and it's all here. Plus, I've actually enjoyed the combat here more than in MvC3. It's funny, but characters feel more different in MK because basic combos are different for everyone where everyone used the same inputs for normal combats in MvC3. Imagine that, an MK game where characters feel different in their normal moves and it isn't the case in a Capcom fighter. I'm not good enough to know how things go as you get more advanced, but I see myself wanting to get better with MK more than with MvC3, primarily because the story mode will get me through that initial learning phase.

So, we should play at some point Que (and others if you get it).

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, April 21, 2011, 08:28:15 AM »
Yeah, definitely. I grabbed it on PS3 for the free multiplayer and the inclusion of Kratos. I was surprised that the 360 didn't have anysort of equivalent extra character, which sort of makes the PS3 version the one to get.

I don't think the story mode is super long, but it's a pretty good chunk of game. I just got an achievement saying something about 50% last night, so I think I hit the halfway point and then got somewhat beyond that, and I'd probably sunk 3 hours of game time into it by then. It's getting harder as it goes, too, so I'm losing a lot more, which makes it hard to gauge just how much is left. However, I've just hit a wall in trying to fight Shao Kahn. Dunno' if he's the actual last fight, though I suspect not, but fuck me is he hard. I did manage to beat arcade mode on Beginner (yes, I suck... and bear in mind that I really only got to fiddle around with the MK games prior to this, I never owned one or took the early games any more seriously than I would any other amusements back in the day), but holy fuck! In story mode it's just insane! I have it on the default difficulty of medium and I've done well enough so far that I don't want to change it, but dude can take *over* half your health with his x-ray, using *your* x-ray on him takes maybe 1/13th of his health, and he's got that magical boss bullshit where sometimes when you punch him he just glows and while taking the damage, won't get interrupted or knocked down. After about a half hour of the abuse, I just had to quit. Either I'm missing something or I just suck too much to take him down.

Gonna' probably go spend some of those 8 bajillion unlock points I've acquired, then do some more challenges at the tower before I try to take him on again. And hopefully not stay up until 3:30 in the morning playing this again...

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, April 21, 2011, 08:43:01 AM »
Yeah, definitely. I grabbed it on PS3 for the free multiplayer and the inclusion of Kratos. I was surprised that the 360 didn't have anysort of equivalent extra character, which sort of makes the PS3 version the one to get.
Relevant article.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, April 21, 2011, 09:19:17 AM »
We're more or less tied on progress except I managed to beat Shao Kahn last night and then called it a day. I found that trying to strike first was generally a bad idea with his boss immunity. So, I would block or wait for him to taunt me and the hit him with a combo that knocked him up allowing for a final uppercut (triangle, square, x). The real trick was learning to watch for the lower hammer swing, which probably still hit me like 80% of the time by the end. If you find yourself across the screen from him the low fireball also does wonders as he'll usually throw his spear and you'll throw your fireball slightly faster. Even if he manages to get the spear out, he'll get hit and you'll have time to block or stay down. If he throws the hammer, I don't know. I don't think I ever managed to dodge that unless I was already jumping. Good news is that we should have about 1/3rd of the game left as its suppose to more or less go through the events in MK3.

Oh yeah, its funny but I totally think I like Stryker now after a quick test in the practice room. Back when MK3 came out I always thought he was sort of the lamest of all the MK characters but now he sort of embodies something cheesy about the 90's that I sort of miss (well, all of MK is kind of like that). Plus, his X-Ray move and first fatality are just awesome. The X-Ray involves a mag light and possibly the best baton twack sound ever recorded while the fatality is so blatantly simple in such an over the top world that it somehow becomes more shocking.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, April 21, 2011, 12:13:44 PM »
I ended up getting this too and I am highly enjoying it as well.  I am liking the way Kabal and Sonya play the most so far.  I also agree with you Sy on Stryker's X-Ray move, that sound the baton makes when it hits their skull is awesome and I still find myself making some sort of comment every time I hear it.
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 21, 2011, 01:46:45 PM by TheOtherBelmont »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, April 21, 2011, 01:23:55 PM »
Yeah, I just got to Stryker's part of the story and saw that too, completely great. Playing Kabal now, and even though I'm not as good with him as some of the others, I love his play style. He's just like... hey motherfuckers, I'm a burn victim with a breathing apparatus, giant blade things, and pigtails. Come get some.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, April 21, 2011, 01:34:10 PM »
I'd go so crazy-happy if this came to the PC...
God, this games looks bloody-awesome...

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, April 27, 2011, 11:04:23 PM »
I finished up story mode several days ago and have been hacking away at the Challenge Tower when I'm not playing versus mode with friends.  I was making awesome progress but have hit a bit of a brick wall on challenge #251.  You have to use Shang Tsung to beat Baraka, Sindel, and Shao Khan with one life bar that regenerates a little health when you beat one of them.  Shao Khan is so god damn frustrating on this battle because:

1. I suck with Shang Tsung.

2. It seems like the computer is on a harder than normal difficulty compared to story and arcade mode, sometimes even Sindel manages to get me on the ropes.

3. Shao Khan is the cheapest mother fucker ever.

Really hope I can get through it sometime soon, I'm so close to finishing up all 300 challenges.  I actually almost had Shao Khan at least a dozen times now where he was at less than 10% health but that fucker manages to come back from it.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, April 28, 2011, 08:02:21 AM »
I haven't quite gotten there yet (I'm somewhere ~210), but I dread going against Sindel. I can't seem to get close to her with anyone, when I do she pulls off this quick kick combo that throws me back, and if I find myself at medium range she grabs me with her hair.

I've heard about 251 though and I sort of get the impression that it's debatably the worst challenge.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #36 on: Thursday, April 28, 2011, 08:12:29 AM »
I was watching Giantbomb's TNT tournament they had with this game. I know I suck at Mortal Kombat but damn is that game fun to watch. I hope they do more of those.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, April 28, 2011, 06:53:44 PM »
Challenge 251... First Fucking Try!

That was only because I was totally prepping myself for it and going in with plan after doing the Shan Khan solo fight just before. Now that Kitana/Jade vs Sindel/Quan-Qi drain tag match a few before, that was a bitch. Quan-Qi and Sindel are generally the two I have the hardest time with and the draining tag matches have been my least favorite challenges. Damn thing took me too long.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, April 28, 2011, 10:45:36 PM »
Word has it that starting Sunday Toys R Us is going to have MK for $40. When you walk into the store, pick up the flyer/magazine thing because there is a $10 off coupon in there, bringing it down to $30.

CAG link also has pics of the magazine thing so you know what to look for.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #39 on: Thursday, April 28, 2011, 11:43:34 PM »
Yea... I think I'm gonna have to do that.