Author Topic: Next governor of Tennessee?  (Read 4454 times)

Offline PyroMenace

Next governor of Tennessee?
« on: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 08:49:51 AM »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Next governor of Tennessee?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 08:53:47 AM »
Dang.. to think I always wanted to visit Tennessee.

I don't know why but I wanna visit Memphis.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 09:00:37 AM »
lolwut

I'm not good at public speaking either, but the dude is a politician... you have to get over that.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 09:03:47 AM »
2009's most dangerous cities:

1 New Orleans, LA
2 Camden, NJ
3 Detroit, MI
4 St. Louis, MO
5 Oakland, CA
6 Flint, MI
7 Gary, IN
8 Birmingham, AL
9 Richmond, CA
10 North Charleston, SC
11 Cleveland, OH
12 Baltimore, MD
13 Miami Gardens, FL
14 Memphis, TN
15 Youngstown, OH
16 Atlanta, GA
17 Compton, CA
18 Orlando, FL
19 Little Rock, AR
20 Minneapolis, MN
21 Washington, DC
22 Philadelphia, PA
23 Jackson, MS
24 Newark, NJ
25 Milwaukee, WI

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 09:56:07 AM »
How is Cincinnati not on that list?

Tennessee is a weird place to me.  I remember visiting Nashville over the weekend and seeing the local commercials on TV.  One would have a person on there speaking "normal" and the next one will have someone with the most ridiculous twang you wouldn't believe.  Plus their "cool" area of the city had a Hard Rock and then a million country bars and boot shops.  Not my scene at all.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 11:49:52 AM »
He forgot to say AMEN in the end. Thank you. DOT COM

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 02:31:19 PM »
How is Cincinnati not on that list?

Tennessee is a weird place to me.  I remember visiting Nashville over the weekend and seeing the local commercials on TV.  One would have a person on there speaking "normal" and the next one will have someone with the most ridiculous twang you wouldn't believe.  Plus their "cool" area of the city had a Hard Rock and then a million country bars and boot shops.  Not my scene at all.

A lot of the "country" bars as you describe are now gone and have been replaced with other establishments.  A lot of the boot shops and stuff like that are very old and historic.  Lot of history down that strip.  It's definitely the party area of Nashville, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it the "cool" area of the city.  The five points area in East Nashville is awesome in that regard.

Either way Nashville has transformed itself into quite an awesome city in the past 5 years. 

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 03:00:14 PM »
I was there a year ago.  It has changed that much since then?

Sorry about calling it the "cool" area.  That's where people were telling us to go so I just assumed it was the place to go in Nashville.

I can see Nashville being a really nice city for some people.  It is clean, seems pretty modernized in a lot of ways, and has a definite identity compared to say Cincinnati.  But it's just too rooted in Soutern/Country culture for me.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 04:30:18 PM »
Yeah that kind of comes with the territory of being Music City.  There's a neat side to that though, especially if you're a fan of music.  Jack White thought enough of the city to base his record label in Nashville and move down permanently.

It has changed a lot in a year.  A lot of the countrified clubs and stuff have closed.  Big Bang put a dueling piano bar in here, which is by all accounts pretty cool.  There are a ton of great bars on the strip if you're into that sort of thing.

That is definitely the touristy place to hit when you're in town, but there are way cooler places to go and visit while you're here.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 06:45:59 PM »
This is like deja vu.  Tonight I went with Sandy to a restaurant in Kenwood, a Northeastern suburb of Cincy.  I told her it was my favorite part of the Greater Cincy area.  She said it was a bit like Nashville.  That surprised me.  So I said I thought Nashville was all about cowboys and country music.  She said no, that's just part of it, but that much of it is very nice and cosmopolitan.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 07:39:53 PM »
Trio?  You know I have never been there, even for lunch?  And I work across from the Jewish hospital now (across Galbraith, not Kenwood).

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 10:00:11 PM »
Whatever virus I have is fucking with my soundcard (I guess?) so I can't hear shit, but I'd vote for that dude on looks alone.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 10:15:27 PM »
I agree with this man - we should all contribute and plant vegetation in vacant lots and sell it for energy. And then say Amen.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, July 29, 2010, 12:00:17 AM »
Trio?  You know I have never been there, even for lunch?  And I work across from the Jewish hospital now (across Galbraith, not Kenwood).

Yeah.  You should give it a try.  Have their smoked salmon pizza.  Nothing like it anywhere else I've been.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, July 29, 2010, 04:47:21 AM »
Yeah.  You should give it a try.  Have their smoked salmon pizza.  Nothing like it anywhere else I've been.
How are the prices?  All the Jaguars and Benzos parked there always turn me off.

You know what place you should take Sandy?  Primavista.  It's in Price Hill, so the surroundings are not nice at all, but the view is easily the best in the city and the food and service are awesome to boot.  It's pretty expensive though.

I like Palomino too.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, July 29, 2010, 08:29:55 AM »
It's pricey for most dinner dishes, but the pizza I mentioned is $12, and it will fill you up.  I brought home 3 of 8 slices last night.

Why do the nice cars turn you off?  They show me that the riff-raff is elsewhere.  Seriously, the people I met there are all well-mannered, well-educated and unassuming.  I had nothing but good times, and I can't say that about any other bar I remember frequenting.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, July 29, 2010, 09:07:44 AM »
Well I drive a Ford Fusion.  I feel like I don't belong there.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, July 29, 2010, 09:25:56 AM »
I drive a 15-year-old Ford Mustang, and I feel like I do belong.  :)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, July 29, 2010, 09:38:35 AM »
Yeah, a 1995 Mustang Cobra.  It's on the borderline of being a collector car.

I get it though.  I shouldn't be intimidated by all the rich yahoos that are in there.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, July 29, 2010, 11:11:49 AM »
Basil Marceaux clip got played on Colbert last night.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, July 29, 2010, 12:07:51 PM »
Yeah, a 1995 Mustang Cobra.  It's on the borderline of being a collector car.

I get it though.  I shouldn't be intimidated by all the rich yahoos that are in there.

Collector's?  I don't know.  A kid that lives up the street told me the other day he used to dream of buying it from me when I used to park it on the driveway.  Since my brother got his own house, it's been in the garage.  I've also had a mechanic tell me he had seen some going for like $17K on eBay, but that was several years ago.  All I know for sure is that the Blue Book is not much better than $4K.  Now it needs brakes too, plus a right-side mirror I stupidly busted a couple of weeks ago.  I certainly don't display it proudly next to Bentleys and Porches.   ;D

No, you shouldn't be intimidated.  If anything, getting to know them might be a good thing.  Connections never hurt.  Besides, there are plenty of rich yahoos in my family history, so it's not as if I feel completely out of my element.