Author Topic: First Gears of War review is up at GSpot!  (Read 8832 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
First Gears of War review is up at GSpot!
« on: Tuesday, November 07, 2006, 07:52:01 AM »
And wow... do they ever like it.

Well, I was planning to get it anyway, but now I'm sure fucking sold.  I'll probably snag the CE if they have any extra.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: First Gears of War review is up at GSpot!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, November 07, 2006, 08:15:52 AM »
Haha, it's nice to see Gerstmann so cheerful :P He's usually the one with something down-beat to say :D That's a good sign!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, November 07, 2006, 08:24:56 AM »
Yeah, really.  Man, I can't wait now, especially with all the talk about how great the coop mode is.  I'm gonna' have to get a second controller so Sy and I can play this together.  That way there's an excuse for him to play it without borrowing my 360, I don't just have to sit and watch him play it when he comes over (though that was *really* entertaining when he played Dead Rising... same with when Pyro played it), and we also have another multiplayer game to play!  Sweet.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, November 07, 2006, 09:44:14 AM »
Yeah, I watched the video review last night and was pretty impressed.  Almost makes me want to go and buy a 360.  If it weren't for my firm 'sitting on the fence' policy, I'd be all over it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, November 07, 2006, 03:07:40 PM »
Looks like I'll be glad this game is going to eventually be likely coming to the PC -- though, I bet it'll be Vista ONLY, when it does....

That chainsaw/assault rifle gun sounds awesome.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, November 07, 2006, 04:01:29 PM »
I saw a commercial for it two days ago and thought it looked awesome.  Too bad I don't have a 360 and am not getting Vista anytime soon.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, November 07, 2006, 04:23:05 PM »
Game looks sweet. It makes me want a 360. But my rule is, there has to be at least 5 good games for the console before I would consider purchasing one. So far, 360 has 2.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, November 07, 2006, 05:54:19 PM »
I remember reading a quote from some guy high up at epic saying that MS would like them to port it to pc, but it's something they weren't even thinking about at that point because they had so much shit going on.  So, we'll probably see it eventually, it just depends when (and if you really want to buy vista and a quad core).

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, November 07, 2006, 07:32:25 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't count on seeing it for PC in the foreseeable future.  Maybe eventually, but that's only a maybe, and probably not for a good long time.

And I'd say the 360 easily has five great titles.  They just aren't all exclusive.  Condemned: Criminal Origins is great (though also on PC), Dead or Alive 4 is great, Dead Rising is great, apparently Gears of War is great, and I had a blast with Kameo.  If you're into GTA-style games, supposedly Saints Row is actually a lot better than anyone anticipated it would be.  GSpot gave it a 9-something, I think... or at least high 8s.  And I honestly haven't even looked that extensively into the 360's current and upcoming lineups as I'm broke as fuck, but I know there are more than a few promising-looking games coming in the future, and probably two thirds or more of them are exclusive.

Still, I'd say the fence is a safe place to stay.  If you're already a PC gamer, your need to get the system is definitely far less than someone who isn't.  Still, it's not entirely without value.  I haven't yet had reason to regret my purchase.

So I tried to get the game today and no luck.  They were supposed to get it in, but not 'till tomorrow they said.  I'm sure it came in elsewhere.  I'm actually not even supposed to be getting it because of a fight I got in with my wife, but I ended up ordering the CE out of spite.  Probably a bad move, but oh well.

And I fucking grunted while I did it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, November 07, 2006, 08:24:14 PM »
Actually when it was initially announced they said this will come to PC three or four months later. I am still hoping. Just checked it out... it is scheduled for the PC and PS3.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, November 07, 2006, 08:28:57 PM »
Considering the latest I've heard, I wouldn't get your hopes up.  Still... I'm sure it will come for those patient enough to wait.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, November 07, 2006, 08:54:48 PM »
I can wait. Good to know its good.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, November 08, 2006, 08:01:01 AM »
IGN has their video review up, as does GameTrailers.com.  The GT one is particularly juicy.  Long, high res, lots of footage.  I can't wait to pick this up tonight.  Only problem is I have to get another fucking controller so Sy and I can play it, and I can't really afford it yet.  Hopefully by this weekend...

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, November 08, 2006, 12:25:21 PM »
As much as I hate to say it, if the opportunity comes up for me to get a new console in the next 6 months or so, it's going to be an Xbox 360.  There are at least 3 games now that I really want to play and have.  I'm also not doing Vista anytime soon.  If it goes at all like my move from 9X to XP, it will be 1 to 2 years down the road, more likely 2.  I'm not touching the PS3 for a very long time, and if it doesn't drop in price, ever.  The Wii has to prove itself to me, in particular, the new control mechanisms.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, November 08, 2006, 06:45:56 PM »
I'm doing Vista...when it's hacked..maybe.

I forgot about Saint's Row. So, that makes 3. Gears of War, Saint's Row, and Dead Rising. I need 2 more great games before I'd consider it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, November 08, 2006, 06:50:00 PM »
I waited "just one more day" on Monday for the Tuesday release, then "just one more day" on Tuesday when I found out they were getting the special shipment that evening, then waited "just one more day" today so I could play tonight, when of course I found out I had to wait "just one more day" for the fucking CEs to show up TOMORROW.  That's mean as hell.

The game was supposed to get to stores (for preorders) on the 7th and I really shouldn't have been getting a copy anyway, since I *didn't* preorder.  But I went to a lot of trouble to actually manage to reserve myself one of the few available CEs in the area, which I should have been able to pick up that night.  Except... they didn't come in.  So I sat around at work all day today twiddling my thumbs and looking forward to all the fun I'd have tonight, when I call the place to insure everything was A-OK, and... guess what?  UPS fucked up and the CEs didn't come in.  Damn it to hell.  I call all the other local stores and it's the same everywhere.  Arg.  I can't seem to bring myself to do anything productive at all because all I want to do is shoot bugs.  I'm about to go home and grab my handgun and just start looking for crickets and gnats if I don't get some action soon.

And Scary, GSpot gave Perfect Dark Zero a 9.0, and Dead or Alive 4 got an 8.8.  Maybe you don't like fighting games, but that's two more in my book (despite my complete lack of interest in PDZ).

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, November 08, 2006, 10:58:39 PM »
This is a cycle. The new consoles are announced and everyone is upset at the prices and the fact that they already have the older versions and the newer ones make them obsolete. Everyone vows not to buy anything, which is pretty much like vowing to abstain from sex -- just not possible.

Eventually the consoles keep hitting and finally everyone starts giving in and starts buying... that's when the new consoles are announced. :D

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, November 09, 2006, 07:39:59 AM »
This is a cycle. The new consoles are announced and everyone is upset at the prices and the fact that they already have the older versions and the newer ones make them obsolete. Everyone vows not to buy anything, which is pretty much like vowing to abstain from sex -- just not possible.

Eventually the consoles keep hitting and finally everyone starts giving in and starts buying... that's when the new consoles are announced. :D

Abstain from sex?  Not quite.  It's more like putting off getting a prettier girlfriend, while yours looks and performs just fine.   ;D

Seriously, though, there are real reasons why I feel as I do, and I've laid them out before.  I've been as eager to buy earlier systems as anyone, and even waited in line for a Gamecube.  I was giddy with excitement when I found an N64 and Mario 64 within a month of release.  I want a 360, despite the fact that I hate for MS to be successful in the videogame market.  (They own enough already.)  But the PS3 promises to be overpriced, and I would be dumb to buy a Wii before addressing my reservations about its controllers.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, November 09, 2006, 08:03:39 AM »
Imagine if Atari came back with a console.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, November 09, 2006, 08:13:59 AM »
And Scary, GSpot gave Perfect Dark Zero a 9.0, and Dead or Alive 4 got an 8.8.  Maybe you don't like fighting games, but that's two more in my book (despite my complete lack of interest in PDZ).
I got PD0 for my brother for his birthday and we played quite a bit of the co-op mode.  I thought the game sucked.  It was not up to today's standards in graphics.  They also chose some of the worst texture combinations or lighting ever, because half of the time you couldn't tell there was a path in some wall you had to go down.  It also felt barely evolved from the original PD.  The story was ridiculously stupid, almost like something some 10 year old would come up with.

Didn't get much chance to play multiplayer, so that might have been a saving grace for the game.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, November 09, 2006, 08:29:23 AM »
I watched the HD review of GoW (on my other PC, after it crashed the display hardware on this one--stupid thing can't deal with oversized movies, at the driver level, grr!) posted at Gametrailers.  The looks are super, and it seems the action is solid.  But I'm concerned about the scripted gameplay and shortness of the single-player campaign.  If its purpose is to ease you into multiplayer, I'm not really interested.  I'm eager to read what Que has to say after he goes through it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, November 09, 2006, 03:25:22 PM »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, November 09, 2006, 03:30:26 PM »
That there's a bug.  Looks like he slipped through a crack in the world geometry, and now he can't get back.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, November 09, 2006, 08:41:27 PM »
Eh.  Clipping bugs are nothing new.  Either it was a cheat or they forgot to flag a certain piece of architecture or something.

Anyway, I picked it up tonight, and man am I happy with it.  Initially, it's a bit disconcerting.  Where with most FPS games you have a very fluid sense of constant motion -- always running, jumping, dodging, switching weapons -- everything in GoW is very much tailored, as has been mentioned everywhere, to the Epic-dubbed "stop and pop" gameplay style.  If you've played kill.switch (and if so, I pity you), you know roughly how it works.  You're finding cover, going into said cover via the context-sensitive A button, then looking at your position and trying to see what's next.  If your position looks good, you can use the left trigger to pop out into aimed mode and start firing.  Let go of the trigger, back into cover you go.  If your position doesn't look so hot, you can use the left stick and the A button again to perform various context-sensitive moves either out into the open to run for new cover, or directly over to alternate nearby cover (if something is close the game understands and will let you simply do a roll or drive over to the new position).  Then you can again evaluate the situation and go as seems good.  Got time for a quick shot while several enemies are running for cover in front of you but not enough time (and too many enemies) to actually stand up and shoot?  Just pop a few shots blind over whatever it is you're hiding behind.  It won't be nearly as effective as slamming the bad guys with headshots in aimed mode, but you'll likely do some damage to several at once.  Sweet.

So this whole thing takes a bit of getting used to.  Initially it seems a little clunky and maybe even too start-and-stop, but once you get the hang of it... wow.  Suddenly you're performing these super cool duck-and-cover sequences while laying into the bad guys on the fly, doing your best to flank the enemy and get a better position.  And that's what really sets this game apart.  Because of the squad-based gameplay, you've always got a few other guys on your side.  They may not be the killers, but they make for good distractions, allowing you to use the (thus far) fairly open environments to get a better position on the enemy, and because of the need for cover and good positioning, it really makes your movements matter.  You aren't going to win just because you can aim good.  If you pop out of cover for very long, you die *fast*, especially with multiple opponents targeting you.  Hiding behind the cover for a bit without getting shot will let you recover your health, but it doesn't matter how much of it you've got, you can't take a lot of damage.  This is great, because it means you're rarely at that "oh my God, one more hit and I'm dead!" stage, but you're always hardly ever very far from it.  It keeps things really tense.  I didn't like the way it worked in Halo so much, but I think it works much better here.  It's very tight, and the range of health is so short that you're always tense, but rarely so tense that you won't risk making a move that could have great rewards if you pull it off right.

So yeah, thus far I'm loving it.  It took maybe a half hour for me to feel even remotely confident with the controls, but now that I'm getting used to them, my first hour and a half have been very enjoyable indeed.  I can't wait to see more guns and enemies and stuff, and I *absolutely* can't wait for Sy to come over and play a marathon coop session with me.  And Pyro, next time you visit we already have the only coop game we really need.  =)

EDIT - Okay, the game was great for a while... and now it's super-duper-fucking-amazing.  Seriously.  It was cool and action packed, then all of a sudden everything went crazy and it's just... yay.  Yes, this game is as good as people have been saying.  The story base is very much there and it's a shame to hear that it went underutilized, but that also means there's a lot of potential for depth later on.  The characters aren't nearly as terrible as I thought they'd be, either.  They're huge, meatheaded, and cheesy... but they're a lot of fun and they do what they do rather well.  They're fun to blow stuff up with.  So yeah, as an action game, this is truly, truly something special.  As a graphical powerhouse, it's also quite something.  A lot of people were saying they'd never seen a game that looked this good, and at this point I'm inclined to agree.  Not only is the game *exceptionally* well done in the art department just as far as direction and such are concerned, it's truly one of the most amazing technical showcases I have ever seen.  Amazing is really the only good word.  You'll see it, and you'll be amazed.  Some of the cutscenes, as has been mentioned, are unfortunately a little choppy, but that doesn't mean they aren't super cool and really well directed, and they let you appreciate some of the insane detail that went into this.  What got my jaw to drop?  When someone died in slow motion and a spray of blood crashed down around and on top of him... the blood literally bouncing into tiny droplets as it hit solid objects.  Wow.  Camera work is astounding here as well, and there's all sorts of tiny little things that add consistency from the character to the world.  The animation isn't perfect 100% of the time, but it's amazing how many little things they got right that make it seem really real.

So yes, this game is amazing and a half.  Anybody with a 360 should have it or there should be attempts on their life while they attempt to do so.  And Cobra, I think even if the game is rather short and such, this isn't a "let's get you ready for multiplayer!" thing.  A lot of thought obviously went into this, and I can tell you right now that each little "scene" is over far too quickly.  I'll definitely be playing through this again by myself, and since I have a friend nearby, at least once with him as well.
« Last Edit: Thursday, November 09, 2006, 10:31:21 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #24 on: Friday, November 10, 2006, 12:40:41 AM »
Damn it all to hell. I never thought I'd want a 360, but with PD0, then came Dead Rising which was super fun when I played it at Ques, and now this, the purchase of this console and becoming more warrant.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #25 on: Friday, November 10, 2006, 01:17:52 AM »
Yeah.  And I hate to say it, but it only gets worse.  This game isn't entirely centered on straight action.  There are a number of cool sequences where you have to do some fun things to get by or play some kind of gimmick.  Thankfully this is very much unlike Half-life 2, so the gimmicks don't get old as fuck after you do them 80,000 times.  This is like... what Half-life 2 would have been had it clocked in around the same number of gameplay hours, I guess.

Anyway, there's all kinds of fun stuph.  And amazingly, the level I'm on now demonstrates just how damn much they've done with this graphics engine.  I can't express to you how far your jaw is going to drop when you see the rain level.  Now it isn't perfect, mind you, and there are some effects that I think in another 2 or 3 years will seem really garish when people do more stuff like what they did with the rain in GoW and perfect the process (maybe even sooner depending on how the water effects in Bioshock turn out) -- but holy hell.  You've still never seen anything even remotely like it, and there are a few moments where the problems it has drop away and you're left with one of those "oh God, I'm actually inside the game" moments.  Purely amazing.  I can't even tell you how much I'm enjoying this.  I already know that it's going to be short, and that's eating away at me a little, but it's just such concentrated goodness nothing can get in the way of the good time.  I'm very glad the coop is supposed to be so great because that means I'm going to get several runs out of this, which is exactly what I need if it's as short as 8 hours.  I'm actually starting on the easiest difficulty because of that, so I can go through on the "real" difficulty next instead of the default.

EDIT - A word also for those who are considering trying to nab the CE -- do it.  It's well worth the extra ten bucks.  Though really, this game is fucking expensive even without that extra cash.  $59.99 is a damned lot of money, and upping that to $69.99... yikes.  But I'm really glad I did.  I just spent I don't know how long watching all the documentary stuph on the extra disk, and while most of it was typical game design crap, I always get a kick out of it.  I love seeing the people who make the things I love, and of all the companies I've wanted to watch in recent years, Epic is way up there.  I was an Epic fan literally from the beginning.  I've probably played every Epic game ever created, even all those old ones Tim Sweeney made in his parents' basement.  I was never the biggest Jill of the Jungle fan, although that *was* one of my favorite tables in the old Epic Pinball packs.  I still have my old diskettes lying around somewhere.  Anyway, it's just really cool to see who's involved and how they like to do things, all that good crap, and there's really a ton of documentary on there.  There's a thing where some of the developers' kids do a tour of the office (cute and funny), there's a generic behind the scenes thing, there's a "road to E3" thing which more or less resembles what came on the Oblivion CE for those who saw it, and then there are a bunch of MTV shorts that add up to their own fairly substantial video.  There's some repeated stuff, but not nearly as much as I'd have expected for the length of content offered.  How interesting it might be is probably subjective, but I thought it was really entertaining.

Also, you get the nice tin case, and I think I'd pay an extra five bucks just for that alone.  Green plastic my ass.  Inside you'll find an almost-DVD-size art book, and this is actually hardcover.  It isn't anything super fancy, but it's pretty sweet for its size.  Definitely not a huge coffee table art book, but a nice edition considering its size and inclusion in a console CE pack.  There's also an Xbox Live Gold membership trial.  48 hours, I think.  I still don't have Xbox Live, so... I dunno' about that one.  But whatever.

Anyway, great stuff all around.  It's 2:30 in the morning and I have to get up at 8 to go to breakfast with my wife and her friend, then go to a freaking write-in over in Berkeley from 4 to 6.  Tomorrow (well... today) is going to suck ass.
« Last Edit: Friday, November 10, 2006, 03:31:30 AM by Quemaqua »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #26 on: Friday, November 10, 2006, 07:18:18 AM »
Alain Tascan of EA Montreal thinks GoW has no innovation....ummmm, like EA should be talking on that kind of matter, given often what they publish.....

Alain Tascan, general manager for EA Montreal, has revealed that he thinks Xbox 360 title Gears of War has been overrated by reviewers - with one or two exceptions.

Speaking in a panel discussion at the Montréal Games Summit, Tascan said, "What is Gears of War? I mean Gears of War brings nothing in terms of innovation to the shooter... Like, zero.

"Only two very brave UK-based journalists said, 'You know what, Gears of War is a great game but it's like what Quake was a few years ago.

"Why are people loving it so much? It's like added production value, incredible cutscenes and the best ever graphics ever. I'm sure it's going to be a great success, I can't wait to play it, but let's face that graphics are still number one," Tascan continued.

He then used the comparison of a nice looking girl you might see in a bar and go up and talk to, "And if she's smart enough, that's the gameplay.

"I'm not talking about my tastes, I'm just saying, when you go to metacritic and you see a 96 for Gears of War, then you read the critics saying, 'Okay, storyline - there's none, gameplay is not innovative...' Then I say, why did they give this 96? They were blown away by the high quality of the graphics... Myself, I prefer something more creative," Tascan concluded.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #27 on: Friday, November 10, 2006, 09:53:38 AM »
Yeah, that's total bullshit.  The guy doesn't have a fucking clue.  Is Gears the most innovative game ever?  Far from it.  However, it does so much more than your average game, and it strikes at the heart of what it wants to do well and doesn't bother trying to do much else.  And it isn't *anything* like Quake, so that's pretty much the worst statement he could have made and proves that he knows shit-all about games or hasn't actually seen anything on Gears yet in the first place.  It's nothing like Quake at all, not even a little.  I've already mentioned further up how the cover dynamic works and how that changes the gameplay, and also how it uses a pseudo Halo-style health system which doesn't just pop up as its own element but instead works in concert with the heavy focus on using cover and tactical thinking.  I can tell you that I've never played a shooter like it before, and I've played a lot of fucking shooters.

And don't even get me started on the "no story" issue.  I will agree that the game has basically no story, because like Half-life 2, it's really more a series of events than it is an actual plot.  It's just that this sequence of events works much, much better in Gears than it did in HL2, where I felt it didn't work *at all*.  The characters in Gears have this almost generic feeling, like they have a lot less potential than the HL2 people, but somehow they feel a lot more real to me.  They're more cliche, really, but they end up feeling like they have real histories in the world, where the HL2 people felt like lifeless cardboard cutouts to me.  You were supposed to care about Alex, but she meant shit to me.  If she'd have died and fallen off the end of the earth, I couldn't have cared less.  Hell, I found her robot 100x more endearing.  And again, it isn't as though Gears has the deepest characters, but they show you enough of their past events and hint at enough things that they feel much more real.  It's a real shame the plot wasn't deeper, because they built a lot of material that they could have used had the game been longer, but it still does a much better job than HL2 did (though nowhere near as good as FEAR, which also suffered from a relative dearth of characters but had a sequence of events that could actually be called a plot, and even had some drama where I felt the main character suffered and changed as a result of the events -- no small feat given that he never talked).

Anyway, I think the game is much more than just a pretty face.  Yes, it's an action game, and no, it doesn't deviate *that* far from the kind of gameplay we know and love, but in everything it does, plot-wise, art-wise, play-wise, it pulls the things it really wanted from wherever it could find them and brought them together under one roof.  There's a lot of generic shit here, make no mistake, it's just that all of it was expertly combined, polished, and presented.  I'm sorry, but the only way you wouldn't like this game is if you hate shooters, suck at playing games, or don't dig on somewhat overused sci-fi themes.  Being that I think the overused sci-fi themes are often used so poorly, I'm all about somebody giving me a really good marines-shooting-bugs game that actually manages to make it feel real and relevant.

So fuck Alain Tascan.  His company is pretty much king of the generic game shitpile and I wouldn't give anything he said even a little credit.  He's just mad because nobody gives a fuck about Army of Two, which I'll bet you a thousand dollars is going to be far more generic and boring than Gears.  And what else has Montreal done?  Some fucking SSX game?  Give me a break.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #28 on: Friday, November 10, 2006, 10:09:02 AM »
Its amazing he thinks a game needs to be innovative and have some epic story to get high scores. The game just has to be fun! They polished the hell out of the gameplay as well as the graphics (so I hear). Look at Okami as another example. Pure Zelda rip-off. Outside of the brush stroke thing, it didnt really do anything new. Typical fight the big bad evil story. But the game was polished and everything was so well done that it was just an awesome game to play. Bam, high scores.

So if Gears can make me feel like a cover-seeking, bad guy blasting badass, and have fun the whole time then it deserves the scores it gets.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #29 on: Friday, November 10, 2006, 11:06:51 AM »
Its amazing he thinks a game needs to be innovative and have some epic story to get high scores. The game just has to be fun! They polished the hell out of the gameplay as well as the graphics (so I hear). Look at Okami as another example. Pure Zelda rip-off. Outside of the brush stroke thing, it didnt really do anything new. Typical fight the big bad evil story. But the game was polished and everything was so well done that it was just an awesome game to play. Bam, high scores.
To be honest, Oblivion was nothing truly innovative. Morrowind was the innovative one, if you ask me. What Oblivion did do was took all of the laundry list of issues players had w/ Morrowind -- and believe me, there was a bunch (steep leveling curve until level 10, AI issues, repetitive/generic NPC's, performance issues) -- and pretty much squashed the hell out of all of them.

The NPC's and AI was much improved in Oblivion -- and the quests were a lot more varied, too. The "scaled leveling" thing worked out great, if you ask me. Game looked great, played game, and truly took everything I thought was great about Morrowind -- and then improved on all of Morrowind's weaknesses. This is why Oblivion was such a success.

We could really say this probably about SW: KOTOR, too. It's basically just another great party-based RPG from Bioware -- nothing really new and innovative put forth on the table, but it's still great. It's the level of polish and level of quality is excellent. It's really not too much different from their past games, like Baldur's Gate games, to be honest -- it's just an RPG w/ lots of choices, action, and click-and-pointing (even if you do move your character via WSAD, you really only need that to move; in battle you can just click and point). Only major difference: Bioware put their game setting in the Star Wars universe!

So if Gears can make me feel like a cover-seeking, bad guy blasting badass, and have fun the whole time then it deserves the scores it gets.
Agreed. I ain't played Gears, but damn -- does it look like a blast, hehe.

PC port in due time would be nice, please. :) Even if it's Vista ONLY (I'd rather it not, though) -- I'll catch up, some time...

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #30 on: Friday, November 10, 2006, 11:37:00 AM »
I think we're starting to see the negative side of the whole "lets be innovative" push we were all part of a few years back. As time is going on we're learning that games just need to be fun again and that being innovative often just lends itself to just being too wierd for its own good. Sure, that works sometimes with art styles with things like Okami and Locco Rocco, but in terms of gameplay you get a lot of duds like Kill Switch. And that's the thing, I'm starting to think that being fun is, in its own way, innovative. Really, you have to pull some fancy tricks to make something you do over and over again fun, especially if it's a tried and true concept such as blowing the shit out of monsters with a big gun.

A few years ago when the cry for innovation started we just realized we weren't getting something that we used to and our gut reaction was newness. After a few years we're starting to see we were a bit off the mark, we just weren't getting things push in our face that were just straight out fun. That's not to say there wasn't a lot of fun games, but if you listen to interviews with developers, look at old forums, or read old reviews it's obvious that what a major focus. Now, look at how many studios are just dedicated to simply fun games, how many gamers are beginning to talk about games that are just a blast to play, and reviews for stuff like Gears of War and you'll see a shift.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #31 on: Friday, November 10, 2006, 12:18:27 PM »
That's an interesting point.  Personally, I think it's wrong to truly "push" for anything.  I think what it comes down to is that when somebody has a great fucking idea and executes it well with a team that knows what it's doing, you'll have innovation.  Again, Gears isn't something you look at and think, "That's a remarkable leap in design!"  But at the same time, I haven't played anything like it before, which begs the question... how is it not innovative and unique?  I think it comes down to what Sy said, that you really have to work hard to make something FUN if it's something you're going to be repeating and (likely) something you've done in a hundred other games.  The fact that shooting monsters in GoW feels different from all the other games where I've shot monsters over the years... that's one hell of a feat.

Anyway, what I mean by not pushing for something is more that a product has to be fun, and while it can be hard for a developer to get back far enough from a product to know just how well the concept is really working, that's more a fault of the general design mechanic that's been set up for developers to work with and less an issue of whether or not the art form is being properly propelled in the correct direction.  I think these things end up working out fairly naturally.  When the market gets saturated with me-too products and innovation stagnates, somebody comes up with a great new idea they think will help their product break the mold and really sell people.  If they pull the idea off, they're usually right.  So I think we need worry less about a marked push for anything and worry more about getting good developers paid well for products they believe in.

And at this point I'm just rambling.  I have to get back to GoW, so... cheers!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #32 on: Friday, November 10, 2006, 03:08:10 PM »
When a game is repetitive, yeah -- fun factor is important. If it does a certain game mechanic over and over, it better do it right and bring something different to the table; even if it ain't something much different.

I think of Painkiller, in which the whole game is throwing tons of monsters at you w/ these cool weapons you have to shoot, yet maintaining a stable framerate. Well, this is all PK does -- and if it does this repetitively, it better do it right. PK does it right. Even though there's not too much of a story really here, w/ so many different enemies and so different kinds of environments/levels, Painkiller easily succeeds where many other 50-enemies-at-once Serious Sam style shooters have failed (like say Will Rock).

I think of Max Payne 1 and 2. This game was purely an action-packed shooter. But, what made it so unique from the rest of them? The storytelling w/ its comic book style, the way the cinematics were done, and of course, one feature that made it the must have game: Bullet-Time. Bullet-Time never got old, even if the whole game was basically you using Bullet-Time to your advantage. Enter the Matrix tried to put Bullet-Time in the game, but that failed b/c the game was mediocre, the level design was on and off (sometimes good, sometimes bad), and the game was not a technical marvel. ETM ran like junk, period -- whereas Max Payne games and Painkiller run great, technically.

From what I read, sounds like GoW fits right in w/ these two shooters -- we have a fun new gimmick of some sort, but it'll just never get old. The duck-and-cover seems to be the fun gimmick here. I want to play this game. Oh yeah!!!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #33 on: Friday, November 10, 2006, 03:50:08 PM »
I honestly wouldn't put GoW in the same category as those shooters.  I enjoyed them, but this feels significantly less generic.  It's one of those experiences that just does stuff to make me smile with glee periodically, above and beyond just the great gameplay.  It mixes things up nicely.  So far the only disappointment I had was there was a cutscene where your chopper shoots down a bunch of stuff while you're in it, and it's just a cutscene -- but I wanted to shoot stuff from the chopper so bad.   ;D  But I can hardly fault the game for that.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #34 on: Saturday, November 11, 2006, 02:14:11 AM »
So I just beat the game.  And yes, I grunted while I did it.

My feelings upon finishing it are mixed.  That isn't to say that I didn't enjoy the hell out of it, because I sure did, it's just... damn it, I want more!

Fortunately for me, there are two more difficulty levels to master.  I started with "Casual", the easiest setting, and it was satisfyingly difficult.  Not too much, not too little.  Call me a wuss if you like, especially since most people find it too easy, but keep in mind that this is a guy who enjoyed the insane level of difficulty that came with Devil May Cry 3.  I like hard, this one just took a little getting used to for me.  By the end of it I think I really got my skills worthy of a not-too-frustrating run through hardcore.  But even after that, I expect Insane will be a true challenge.

Anyway, the game was amazing from start to finish.  Really, it more or less throws the same few kinds of situations at you throughout.  You've got your sequences with straight troop-on-troop action, you've got the flank-and-destroy-the-gun-emplacement scenario, the kill-the-seeder scenario, the close-quarters-with-"Wretches" scenario, the Berserker thing, and the defend-Jack-while-he(robot)-opens-the-door scenario.  That doesn't cover every last thing, and it mixes it up on several occasions throughout the game to very good effect, but those are the most common things I think.  Still, they're all fun, and it mixes things up with those different sequences by having some very different-looking environments that often play similarly but feel pretty different.

And yeah, I've never seen a game this pretty.  Not ever.  It made my jaw drop on any number of occasions.  This truly shows off what next-gen graphics could really mean in the next few years.  Oblivion looks like shit.

So... hooray!  I'm already on my second playthrough (which began about 10 seconds after beating the game the first time), and I can honestly say it's every bit as fun seeing the early stuff again but being more equipped to handle it on the harder difficulty.  I think this is one game I'm actually going to beat on each difficulty.  Once you've done it once, I imagine a subsequent run is maybe 6 or 7 hours... or something.  But even with the relatively short experience, I can't knock this game at all.  As I said, they really could have gone the HL2 route and made each gimmick wear out its welcome, but they didn't.  I applaud them for that but also chastise them for not quite using each gimmick *enough*!  They could have added another 2 hours of gameplay if they'd just thrown in another short section for each of the more gimmicky things, I think.

Anyway, pure awesome.  It's one of the most expensive games I've ever purchased, and also one of the shortest, yet somehow I'm still perfectly satisfied.  That baffles me a bit given that huge, long, open-ended games are often favorites of mine, but my love for a really good shooter has always been strong, and this is one of the best shooters I have ever played, bar none.

Now I must force myself to go to bed.  Damn it.

EDIT - I should also note that the boss fights were relatively "meh".  That definitely knocks a couple of points off.  They were cinematic and sweet-looking mostly, but the mechanics were dumb-butt simple and not nearly as deep as I'd have expected from an action game with this kind of tactical bent to it.  There's so, so much they could have done with a boss fight that they just didn't even touch.  Hopefully Gears 2 will clear that issue up nicely.  They've got the system in place, all they need to do is expand on it a bit and really improve the few less-stellar aspects of the game.  And maybe make it a few hours longer...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #35 on: Saturday, November 11, 2006, 07:55:59 AM »
Que, how is the multiplayer...?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #36 on: Saturday, November 11, 2006, 08:00:52 AM »
Dunno', I don't have Xbox Live.  =T

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #37 on: Saturday, November 11, 2006, 08:01:29 AM »
Dunno', I don't have Xbox Live.  =T

Awww....Bummer. :(

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #38 on: Saturday, November 11, 2006, 02:31:54 PM »
So I hear your can curb your opponents in multiplayer... as if I wasnt sold enough.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #39 on: Saturday, November 11, 2006, 09:26:17 PM »
You can also curb guys in single player, so you may continue to be sold.  Yes, it's fun.  A nice little exclamation point to the killing pleasure.