Author Topic: Chrome > Firefox  (Read 4342 times)

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
Chrome > Firefox
« on: Sunday, September 12, 2010, 05:53:12 PM »
But opera may be better than both, I dunno, haven't used it yet.

So, I've been using Chrome for a couple weeks now, and I think I love it. It runs so quick and smooth, and the layout feels very natural to me.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Chrome > Firefox
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, September 12, 2010, 06:16:07 PM »
I only like it on the Mac.  The interface is too odd to me in Windows, whereas it blends in better on a Mac.

I think I'll be a Firefox guy out of loyalty for awhile.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, September 12, 2010, 06:59:40 PM »
I use Chrome on my netbook, it works really well there. Desktop is still rocking Firefox because I can't live without some of the addons (ImgLikeOpera, flashblock, noscript, etc). Generally things that make browsing on dialup more tolerable.

I do have to say, Opera is pretty nice as well. The Opera Turbo feature is great for dialup if I wan to browse with images on.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, September 12, 2010, 07:20:47 PM »
I used Chrome for a bit and I'm not a big fan of it.  It's a lot lighter than Firefox is, but I still prefer Firefox generally speaking.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, September 12, 2010, 07:35:18 PM »
I've been using Chrome for a couple months now and I'm liking it a lot. I still miss some small features from Opera, but I don't miss running into pages that don't work right all the time.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, September 12, 2010, 10:56:02 PM »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #6 on: Monday, September 13, 2010, 02:52:56 AM »
Haha that's a list of good analogies :D

My main problem with Chrome is the interface. It's very stiff and extremely resistant to any of my personal choices regarding which buttons I'd like on there. The one part I especially cannot stand is the lack of a bookmark button, or rather that it's only available on the bookmark bar (which I never use and I hate having because it takes up so much space). I just want to have that bookmark button on my tool bar, next to the Homepage button or something.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: Monday, September 13, 2010, 03:44:48 AM »
Haha that's a list of good analogies :D

My main problem with Chrome is the interface. It's very stiff and extremely resistant to any of my personal choices regarding which buttons I'd like on there. The one part I especially cannot stand is the lack of a bookmark button, or rather that it's only available on the bookmark bar (which I never use and I hate having because it takes up so much space). I just want to have that bookmark button on my tool bar, next to the Homepage button or something.

It may be taht I'm using a beta version and it has differing features, but there's a start in the far right end of the address bar, and that's the bookmark button. Click it and it bookmarks the page you're on.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #8 on: Monday, September 13, 2010, 04:16:50 AM »
Oh yeah I know that, I usually use keystrokes anyway, but I meant a bookmarks drop-down menu so I can just go through my bookmarks rather than opening the bookmark manager every time. That button does exist but only on the bookmark bar.

I just installed the current version of Chrome (not the beta) and I'm giving it another go. They've definitely refined it quite a bit over my last experience with it. And I'm beginning to rethink my traditional use of bookmarks. Since I'm more of a keystroke guy I noticed that even in Firefox I rarely go through the bookmark menu anymore, I just start typing the name of whatever I'm looking for in my bookmark list in the address bar and Firefox lists it for me prioritizing my bookmarks and then my history. It's just a matter of hitting ENTER if it's my first option or selecting any of the other options. It's easy and direct. Gladly, I can confirm that Chrome does that too! And since Xmarks now work on Chrome as well getting all my bookmarks in was smooth.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: Monday, September 13, 2010, 06:42:48 AM »
Oh, yea I completely missed what you were saying. I do have the bookmark drop down, but I also keep the bookmark bar enabled.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #10 on: Monday, September 13, 2010, 07:41:57 AM »
No worries, I should have clarified I meant the bookmarks menu button ;D

So far today's experience with Chrome is much better than my previous encounters with it. I still feel it's more of a "kiosk mode" or public access terminal browser.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #11 on: Thursday, September 16, 2010, 06:32:29 AM »
Chrome has been my browser of choice for the past several months now. My brother had it on his labtop and I ended up really liking the simplicity and liteness of it. When I switched to Firefox I had very little addons, then I eventually went to no addons as Firefox patched in the stuff I was using. For me, I tend to steer towards vanilla in pretty much everything I use, like my Windows 7 has very little altered or customized on it, my desktop stays pretty clean and I try to run as little programs as possible when starting it up. I like things running with the most minimum amount of memory so it keeps things fast. I tend to defrag monthly and try to do a reformat once a year but it usually ends up being every other year. But anyway, Chrome seems to suit me perfect, I'll probably check out the new IE when that hits to see how it compares.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, September 16, 2010, 12:59:11 PM »
Desktop is still rocking Firefox because I can't live without some of the addons (ImgLikeOpera, flashblock, noscript, etc).

This is pretty much the reason that I haven't switched yet.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, September 22, 2010, 11:37:29 PM »
I use all three browsers. I love Chrome the most, but seem to be most invested in Firefox.