Author Topic: PSP2  (Read 2932 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
PSP2
« on: Thursday, October 28, 2010, 11:42:20 AM »
http://kotaku.com/5675525/psp2-will-ditch-the-umd-and-be-as-powerful-as-the-xbox-360

Wow that looks like a real beast! A portable device, as powerful as an Xbox 360? Nice.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: PSP2
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, October 28, 2010, 11:48:21 AM »
No UMD = hooray! But I hope they still have some kind of physical media way of buying games. I'm not sure how well a digital distribution-only system will do. If the PSPGo is anything to go by...terribly.

EDIT

And no UMD means no backwards compatibility with current PSP games (maybe with ones bought on PSN). Thats going to sting a bit, especially since the 3DS will launch capable of playing every DS game, which is a huge.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, October 28, 2010, 11:55:07 AM »
Well, the missteps with the PSP Go didn't have to do with the distribution.  It had everything to do with the cost of the unit and selection.  Why would anyone in their right mind dump money into a GO when there's a cheaper and more flexible option available?

If the Go model had been the only option upon release, it would have done better.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, October 28, 2010, 12:09:01 PM »
Yea, K-Man's logic is sound.

As for backwards compatibility... I don't mind. There wasn't anything of note on the PSP1 that I played and liked enough to care about that. I am sure they will work something out. I bet you will get digital versions of the better games.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, October 28, 2010, 12:20:06 PM »
You also have to remember that if the PSP Go was the only model, there would be far less visibility for it and its games. Stores would just stock the system, maybe some accessories like memory sticks and PSN cards. Thats it. There would be no rack of games for people to look at to find anything new or something they haven't heard about. I think that would have limited the system to a more hardcore niche. It would have done better than how the current PSP Go did, but I don't think it would have done as well as the standard PSP has.

But then again since then the itunes app store has taken off so more people are used to this sort of thing. *sigh*...we'll see what happens.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, October 28, 2010, 01:55:34 PM »
I can kinda see your point there.  But, what's more visibility?  Having to go to a store and look at the game on a shelf through glass?  Or being able to log into the playstation store from your unit from your couch and see everything available on the platform and not have to worry about stock at your local gaming establishment?

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, October 28, 2010, 01:56:31 PM »
Bear in mind that the idea of pure digital distribution is a huge turnoff for me, but I can certainly see the advantages.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, October 28, 2010, 02:47:58 PM »
Man.. I don't know how appealing exclusive digital distribution would be.. The PSN in its current iteration is just not enough to satisfy.. Interface is one issue but functions and features (or lack of) are the major hurdle.

If my PSP had no UMD access (or if I had a PSPgo) I'd be bored out of my mind and/or infuriated by how little I could accomplish with my PSP. End of the day it is a portable device that needs easy, effortless connectivity.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, October 28, 2010, 02:52:48 PM »
Man.. I don't know how appealing exclusive digital distribution would be.. The PSN in its current iteration is just not enough to satisfy.. Interface is one issue but functions and features (or lack of) are the major hurdle.

If my PSP had no UMD access (or if I had a PSPgo) I'd be bored out of my mind and/or infuriated by how little I could accomplish with my PSP. End of the day it is a portable device that needs easy, effortless connectivity.

I don't understand. What can you do with a UMD that lets you accomplish more than digital distribution?

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, October 28, 2010, 02:53:24 PM »
I would imagine that the online presence will be extremely streamlined if they are going to go solely with digital distribution. I'd imagine the release of the PSP2 will be accompanied by a HUGE update to PSN.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, October 28, 2010, 04:00:13 PM »
I don't understand. What can you do with a UMD that lets you accomplish more than digital distribution?
Well, for one I can swap out at any time without having to download anything. One other is example is while I was travelling I had to sit in London Heathrow airport for about 9 hours, I passed by the HMV (video, music, games shop) picked up PSP game and a UMD anime series (Gankutsuou), and right there on the fly I was able to enjoy my newly acquired media. I didn't have to find a place that I can connect via PSP (which is not always possible, especially not in public hotspots) and I didn't have to wait for a massive download. If I had a PSPgo I would have been stuck with whatever I had put on it before my trip, with no option of acquiring new media until I managed to get a steady internet connection that the PSP could actually use (which, following this particular trip, was about a month later).

The presence of physical media just makes life on-the-go so much more convenient, which is a little ironic considering digital media doesn't occupy any physical space. We're just not "there" yet in terms of portable media and wide-scale connectivity.

Honestly, I really wish Sony would revive the MD format. I just don't understand why they killed it.