Author Topic: Who's The Boss?  (Read 2306 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Who's The Boss?
« on: Wednesday, November 17, 2010, 09:03:16 PM »
Tony Danza.

LIKE A BOSS!

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
Re: Who's The Boss?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, November 17, 2010, 09:06:20 PM »
You know, I did the same thing after my uncle's funeral. He was an atheist, but my religious family still opted to go for a priest to do the service. I tore a strip off him afterwards, along with my family, because my uncle was rolling in his grave that day.

BUT

I did it in private after the service. I just bit my lip and winced through the Apostle's creed.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, November 17, 2010, 09:55:42 PM »
Funerals really are not for the benefit of the deceased, but rather for those still living who experienced the painful loss of the deceased.  Because of this, it doesn't bother me when the departed are made to look better or more saintly than they were in real life.  It comforts family and friends, and provides closure.

The Tony Danza thing is something else, though.  If the priest lost sight of what he was there for, he should have been set straight.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, November 17, 2010, 10:00:32 PM »
Because of this, it doesn't bother me when the departed are made to look better or more saintly than they were in real life.  It comforts family and friends, and provides closure.

In my instance, that wasn't the case. Imposing religiosity on an atheist doesn't make them look "better" or "more saintly" because everyone knew he was an atheist, so it was more of just a big joke. It was just the two or three relatives who took charge of the planning that made it religious. Everyone was upset, including the people who planned it because of the blowback. Come to think of it, it was a source of a deep rift in our family that has yet to heal. Really provoked a schism between the hardcore Christians and the more moderate (read: sane) members of my family.

In Tony Danza's case? I dunno, the last time I gave the man serious consideration was when I was laughing at him during a Zach Galifianakis bit.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...