Author Topic: Direct2Drive offering PC Game Rentals for $5.00  (Read 1748 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Direct2Drive offering PC Game Rentals for $5.00
« on: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 04:18:33 PM »
Bluesnews -> Basically, you can rent certain games for $5.00 on D2D for 5 hours of gameplay.

That same $5.00, it can used towards the purchase of the full game on D2D, if you then decide you want to buy the game in full.

Right now on D2D - only Divinity 2, GRID, SH: Homecoming and are on rental.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Direct2Drive offering PC Game Rentals for $5.00
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 04:30:04 PM »
$5 for 5 hours seems expensive. The again, a lot of singleplayer games can be beat in that time so...

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 05:39:42 PM »
Considering that was the price for 2-day rentals not long ago, and D2D doesn't need to handle physical goods to make rentals happen, it's a major ripoff.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, January 23, 2011, 01:21:37 AM »
I bet D2D would have gone for a lower price had they been able to convince the publishers. Even now, it seems like it is a handful of titles.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, January 23, 2011, 06:28:46 AM »
I'm curious if this whole PC game rental thing will catch on. I'm surprised more places - i.e. Steam, since they always seem to be way ahead of the rest of the world for digital gaming ideas - didn't come up w/ something like this.

Then again, "Free Weekends" for certain games when Steam actually has them IS a way better idea, anyways. ;)

The really bad thing I can see about what D2D is doing - say "bye-bye" to game demos. Though, most game demos are really short - too short for their own good. Sometimes, they're not even a good indication of how the game will be. The good thing is here, you got access to the whole game - so you can test how it runs, if it's any good, etc etc. Bad part - it's only for a mere 5 hours.

Also, seems like we're getting less and less of PC game demos unfortunately, anyways.