Author Topic: Started playing Dawn of War 2 finally.  (Read 2235 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Started playing Dawn of War 2 finally.
« on: Thursday, January 27, 2011, 10:59:21 AM »
Ummm wtf?

It is like they took Company of Heroes, squeezed out all the strategy, and left you with a mediocre action rpgish thing. It is so underwhelming.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Started playing Dawn of War 2 finally.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, January 27, 2011, 11:15:27 AM »
The strategy is all there, there's just no base building. They definitely infused it with Diablo-esque RPG elements.

I like it but I do miss the DoW base building, which is is still partially retained in the multiplayer.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, January 27, 2011, 11:19:28 AM »
CoH had no base building either. It was still highly strategic. In fact, without any base building, Company of Heroes remains the deepest RTS game out there.

This is a bit like CoH lite. The more I play, the better I enjoy it though. It isn't bad.

The lack of tutorial thing is pretty unfortunate though. I loved how CoH taught you stuff.

edit:

It is said that the multiplayer is amazing though.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, January 27, 2011, 11:26:05 AM »
Dude, CoH had base building! It was a cornerstone of the gameplay! However they did a great job with the non-building missions.

DoW2 is all about moving the squad forward.. That's it.. For singleplayer anyway. It can get pretty monotonous.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, January 27, 2011, 12:27:55 PM »
Shit you are right. I forgot. Doh'

I just played a mission of DOW2 which lasted 40 minutes. Got to the end and was killed by the boss and now have to start all over again. wtf.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, January 27, 2011, 02:00:08 PM »
i just started playing it properly too, but i have a very different opinion. i played the first few levels and thought it was pretty dull, but then i started accumulating wargear and getting the hang of tactical combat. it's the first game in a while where i've got home from work and played it pretty much straight until i go to bed. love it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, January 27, 2011, 02:17:28 PM »
Yea I played a bit more and it isn't bad, have to say.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #7 on: Friday, January 28, 2011, 12:35:49 AM »
Fuck yea.. this game is becoming more awesome. I am half considering restarting at a higher difficulty.

X, yea I was for some reason confusing base building with resource management, a staple of RTS games. That was something CoH did away with for the better.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #8 on: Friday, January 28, 2011, 02:46:58 AM »
Fuck yea.. this game is becoming more awesome. I am half considering restarting at a higher difficulty.

X, yea I was for some reason confusing base building with resource management, a staple of RTS games. That was something CoH did away with for the better.
Oh yeah, I agree. The resources were gathered automatically by capturing zones. It was focused on getting a battle encampment up and running.

With the combat I loved the fact that it was more tactical than all other RTS games. Putting your men cover is critical to success. Flanking manoeuvres are usually the way to go! Man, I miss that game!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #9 on: Friday, January 28, 2011, 03:35:14 AM »
Yea I played the hell out of CoH and its expansions. It is a pity the game didn't sell as well as it should have.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Friday, January 28, 2011, 10:22:56 AM »
I absolutely loved DoW2.  Takes a bit to get going, but it's a fantastic game with some good strategy, intense action, and great production values.  Very worthy game, and pretty unique in the spectrum too.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Friday, January 28, 2011, 11:44:08 AM »
I am seven hours in, and holy crap this game is awesome. Almost as good as Company of Heroes overall. But where it falls shorter in strategy (though there is plenty of it), it makes up for in loads of fun.

My first post came an hour into the game, and I think the start was pretty weak. While CoH was very good at teaching the finer points, this isn't. All the instructions are sorta optional to read. But yes, I can't stop playing. I am regretting not going for the expansion on the Steam deal.