Author Topic: Hawken  (Read 2666 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Hawken
« on: Thursday, March 10, 2011, 08:52:48 AM »
No, not Stephen.

Pretty sweet looking mech game though its a FPS and not a slow, lumbering mech sim. Made with UDK.

Check out the WIP trailer

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: Hawken
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, March 10, 2011, 03:51:55 PM »
Just saw this a little bit ago from a retweet by Mark Rein. Apparently this was made on the Unreal engine by 9 guys in 9 month? I'm even more impressed.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Friday, March 11, 2011, 06:02:29 AM »
That looks pretty impressive. I really appreciate that it's a fast-paced action game rather than the typically clunky mech games (which I do like as well when I'm in the mood for them).

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Friday, March 11, 2011, 04:58:40 PM »
Couple interviews:

Kotaku
PC Gamer

Hawken is a multiplayer shooter. That's it. "We would have liked to expand to singleplayer, but our goal was to have a small team and finish it in a short amount of time. Singleplayer missions and campaigns are very intensive and require a much larger team to do properly. Sure, we could just slap in some mechs and singleplayer missions but I wouldn't want to have a crappy singleplayer campaign."

As for the multiplayer modes, Hawken will include "two unique team game modes", along with both team deathmatch and a free-for-all deathmatch. Le says that, time/resource permitting, they'd also like to include a co-op Horde mode.

"When we started this project, my biggest technical concern was world building", Le says. "With such a tiny team, it's really hard to compete with the big boys. To solve this dilemma, I went with the 'kitbash' approach we'd used for the mechs, and applied it to world building."

"Everything in our game gets reused many, many times. If you watch the video carefully, there are not that many unique props. They are just put together in unique ways. Even our weapons get thrown into the building architecture sometime, if you notice carefully once the game is out. We try to waste nothing."

EL: Can you talk a little bit about your background as developers, artists, or other roles held by your staff?

JK: The four founders of Adhesive Games met while working on Project Offset. None of us were Project Offset founders, though. Most of us have been involved in the game industry and worked on our own projects but I have to admit we haven’t shipped a major title before. Our lead artist Khang Le has an impressive resume of movie credits.

EL: At the moment, you’re not sure what platforms Hawken will release on, but you’re hopeful that it’ll be available on as many as possible. Is it more likely to end up on PC than Xbox 360 or PS3?

JK: At this point we really have no idea. Ideally we would like to release at some point on all three platforms. We haven’t really started on the business side of things yet.

Apparently it only uses Directx9, partially because they want it to see an Xbox 360 release, maybe PS3 also.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #4 on: Friday, March 11, 2011, 05:44:27 PM »
I was thinking of Hawke...you know, from DA2.

Anyways - yeah, this looks like some sweet MP action. :)
I'd really like to see a SP Game w/ a campaign and all of that stuff made out of this later on, too.

Now...on another note, where the hell is the next real Mechwarrior game? :0

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: Friday, March 11, 2011, 06:17:34 PM »
It's certainly got a cool look. Judging from the brief bits I've seen in other places, the reception to the trailer has been pretty good too. The developers must have had a good week.

Last I remember hearing (and my memory might not be entirely accurate), it's stuck between two hard places. The first is that it really doesn't have a publisher and it more or less dead in the water on that front. The second is that the actual owners of the Battletech license is in a legal battle over some mech designs that were blatantly ripped off from Macross designs decades ago. This is a strange story since that legal battle already happened, decades ago. Those designs no longer used in any materials and have since been replaced. One of these redesigns was used in the trailer and I guess the Macross people were upset to see even the redesign being used, even though it has existed on the tabletop stuff for decades (and I think in at least on of the Mechwarriors). I'd guess the game will become vaporware sooner than later.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Friday, March 11, 2011, 06:18:37 PM »

I don't know, but just seeing this video has me looking up mech games. I'm actually thinking about dragging out an old television and my original Xbox to play some Mechassault. I have no idea when the last Mechwarrior game was or if there's another coming. Hell I could probably go for some Armored Core. I don't even know if that series is still alive.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: Friday, March 11, 2011, 07:06:24 PM »
That new Tim Schaffer/Double fine, Trenched, game looks to play almost exactly like Mechassault.

Edit: Maybe not. That's being described as a third person tower defense... whatever that means. It guess it's not like crazy mech on mech action.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: Friday, March 11, 2011, 08:43:17 PM »
That new Tim Schaffer/Double fine, Trenched, game looks to play almost exactly like Mechassault.

Edit: Maybe not. That's being described as a third person tower defense... whatever that means. It guess it's not like crazy mech on mech action.

Saw an interview on Giant bomb about it recently. It's a third person shooter where you're piloting a mech during World War I to fight off invading television monsters. Or something like that. I think one or more of the parties involved with the interview might have been drunk.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 07:41:09 PM »