Author Topic: Wii successor to be shown at E3, release in 2012  (Read 2977 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Wii successor to be shown at E3, release in 2012
« on: Monday, April 25, 2011, 05:46:11 AM »
Official

Current rumors put its power level above the PS3. Other rumors are the controllers containing their own touchscreens with the system being able to wirelessly render to them. No worries, it still has buttons! But we'll learn more in June.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Re: Wii successor to be shown at E3, release in 2012
« Reply #1 on: Monday, April 25, 2011, 08:07:48 AM »
Yea at this point in time I don't think I'll be getting another Nintendo console.  The Wii sits there collecting dust; there are far too few titles that actually interest me.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #2 on: Monday, April 25, 2011, 08:10:09 AM »
If it's not vastly more powerful than the PS3 then I'll be disappointed.  I mean we're talking 2006-era technology here.

As for the console itself, I'll inevitably end up with one.  At least I think.  Like it or not, Nintendo's first party titles are generally still some of the most polished games released to consoles.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Monday, April 25, 2011, 08:23:28 AM »
As for the console itself, I'll inevitably end up with one.  At least I think.  Like it or not, Nintendo's first party titles are generally still some of the most polished games released to consoles.

I used to feel that way until the Metroid: Other M. I essentially bought the Wii with finishing the Prime series in mind and really the only super big pluses I got out of the deal were Twilight Prince (which I really didn't need the Wii for) and progressive scan on a lot of Gamecube games (which was only because Nintendo made it a bitch to find the cable for the Cube). I guess Smash Brother and Mario Galaxy were great, but were more things that were good to enjoy since I had the ability to and not system justifications. Without Metroid I feel like I can miss most of Nintendo's games these days, at least until the system gets pretty cheap. Touch screen remotes don't make me think that'll happen anytime soon give most wireless remotes are on the order of $60 currently. Waiting on a system is also harder these days because it seems once a system really drops in price finding good older games is especially difficult.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #4 on: Monday, April 25, 2011, 08:44:53 AM »
I'll agree that Metroid:  Other M was a huge misstep.  I don't know why Reggie was so baffled it didn't sell that well.  You take one of the most awesome silent protagonists in gaming history and you make her a whiny c-word and then basically take all of the fun out of exploration by showing gamers EXACTLY where hidden items are.

That being said, I'll get around to playing and finishing it one day.  Or I'll just play Super Metroid over and over.  Either way.

But games like Mario Galaxy 1&2, New Super Mario Brothers Wii, Punch Out!!, Sin and Punishment, etc etc are all great games.  And despite the lack of any significant third-party support, the system has spawned some gems like No More Heroes, Muramasa, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, and others.

I've got a good bit of money invested into the Wii as a platform.  I used to regret it, but haven't done so in a long time.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Monday, April 25, 2011, 09:11:38 AM »
Yeah, the thing that worries me are these controllers with screens. Controllers are already way too freaking expensive (I still only have one PS3 controller).

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #6 on: Monday, April 25, 2011, 09:32:33 AM »
Nintendo's next-gen console codenamed Project Cafe, faster than the PS3, will look like a modernized SNES

As for the actual design and look of the console, it has been rumored it will be roughly the same size as the Xbox 360 but it set to resemble a modernized version of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) - this will be a huge selling point for Nintendo if true.

I might get it just to collect it!

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Monday, April 25, 2011, 09:40:51 AM »
The Wii is the best Gamecube I have.  My Twilight Princess copy is the GC version, which I think is the better one by far.  (No inverted world, no nerfed camera control, no tacked-on worthless waggle.)  I played it on the Wii in lovely progressive mode, with the GC controller.  BTW, newer GCs cannot do component video (i.e., no progressive scan).
On newer models of the Nintendo GameCube, the necessary port for connecting the Component Video Cable was removed. For more information on this, please click here.
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/nintendogamecube/component.jsp

The Wii, as a Wii, has been a major disappointment for me.  I have yet to get Mario Galaxy 2, and I'm optimistic about the next real Zelda game; but other than that, the 6 or so games I have on my shelf represent the entirety of my interest in its native format.  I will definitely sit on the sidelines when Nintendo releases their next console, waiting to see which way the wind blows.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: Monday, April 25, 2011, 10:13:19 AM »
I only play about one or two games a year so the number of games coming out isn't really an issue for me, a couple of quality titles a year and I'm happy.

If it's not vastly more powerful than the PS3 then I'll be disappointed.  I mean we're talking 2006-era technology here.

This is an interesting move by Nintendo, releasing another console years before Microsoft and Sony do. I imagine there's not much of a point making it significantly more powerful than the 360 and PS3. Bring it up to parity to keep multi-platform games flowing. Slightly above parity and you get the console fanboys who take their console's graphics capability close to heart. Any more than that and it gets expensive which doesn't seem to fit in with Nintendo's general positioning. The last thing they want is for this to become caught between generations like the Dreamcast.