Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 4125 times)

Offline ren

• Veteran
Windows 8
« on: Wednesday, June 01, 2011, 05:36:42 PM »
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/01/microsoft-unveils-windows-8-tablet-prototypes/

There's a video there.

It looks pretty cool. They're really pushing the touch interface and tablet friendliness. It seems you can get back to the Windows 7 look as well though for those who don't like change.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, June 01, 2011, 10:19:46 PM »
Keyboard and mouse will remain as "options"?  How nice of them.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, June 01, 2011, 10:29:27 PM »
How about I'm not paying you motherfuckers for a new OS again after you just released this one and you can kiss my ruby red ass?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, June 01, 2011, 10:46:40 PM »
That's the other option.  I like it better.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, June 01, 2011, 11:17:02 PM »
By the time I get around to buying a new OS I'll have leapfrogged two versions.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, June 02, 2011, 12:12:20 AM »
Having used the Windows Phone 7 interface, this just looks like its big brother or its tablet edition.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, June 02, 2011, 12:31:47 AM »
I really don't think there is anything too wrong about always thinking ahead to the next OS. Those of you who have windows 7 shouldn't have to worry about buying another OS for awhile. It will be supported for a long time to come now, look at XPs longevity. I find it interesting where new OSs are going in the days ahead. I mean look, there's no desktop, something that I think we should be moving on from now.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, June 02, 2011, 07:26:59 AM »
Why? A desktop is completely functional. It's a virtual equivalent to the flat space where your computer physically sit and where work happens. There's a reason we still use desks to do work and I would hate to see it go away in favor of a more flashy OS. That style might suit something that's good for leisure or specifically designed tasks, but when it comes time to do work between multiple and disparate applications something like a desktop is almost a necessity.

I'm not against tablet PCs. In fact, I think they can serve very well when it comes to work away from the desk. But, when you're back at a home station the tablet will never replace the efficiency and flexibility of a desktop based design.
« Last Edit: Thursday, June 02, 2011, 08:08:21 AM by sirean_syan »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, June 02, 2011, 08:01:11 AM »
What he said.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, June 02, 2011, 08:50:08 AM »
I agree with Sy, the current method works best. That could very well be simply because we're accustomed to it, so I'm not against exploring new concepts and different approaches to the workspace or desktop.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, June 02, 2011, 11:15:57 AM »
I'm all for a version of Windows to support portable touchscreen devices.  I said about as much before, when ranting about the iPad's dominance.  That doesn't mean it should replace the mature and super-efficient mouse/keyboard interface on devices with that equipment.  It shouldn't nerf it or otherwise make it less attractive either.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, June 02, 2011, 06:12:44 PM »
Although that video makes it seem entirely touch dominated, I'd like to think that Microsoft will work in an intuitive keyboard and mouse interface or at the very least make it easy to make all this stuff invisible. I'm not one to have blind faith in Microsoft's capabilities these days but Windows and Office in a business environment is their bread and butter and they wouldn't take a huge gamble on a new interface when their market position isn't at risk.

I'm completely ready for a new interface though. It might turn out to be completely shitty but that doesn't mean I don't want to play with it.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, June 02, 2011, 09:35:22 PM »
I haven't watched the video, but I haven't even used or looked at Windows 7 yet either. What do 7/8 do that is so much better than Vista? I'm tired of having a new reorganized control panel.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: Friday, June 03, 2011, 08:09:51 PM »
I haven't watched the video, but I haven't even used or looked at Windows 7 yet either. What do 7/8 do that is so much better than Vista? I'm tired of having a new reorganized control panel.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/products/features/snap

This alone makes me hate going back to anything before Windows 7.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #14 on: Saturday, June 04, 2011, 02:03:36 AM »
I just think a good OS should make a more optimized use of space. As it stands right now all the desktop has become is a open space for bad windows widgets and clusters of small icons. I'm not saying the actual windows format needs to go away, just the space and idea of what the desktop is today. The work space on a windows PC can be way more efficient than it is now. 

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, June 04, 2011, 04:23:37 AM »
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/products/features/snap

This alone makes me hate going back to anything before Windows 7.

This.

As for Windows 8, I wouldn't take the word of Engadget all that seriously.  I have a feeling that the PC version will have the standard virtual desktop setup and full keyboard/mouse support (as well as the Metro-tile like interface you see here).  But why show that?  It's bound to be almost exactly like the Windows 7 UI.  I think they're just kind of promoting the tablet friendly nature of the OS, or at least that's what the article title seems to imply.  Although the body of the article itself leaves a lot out.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, June 04, 2011, 05:28:41 PM »
By the time I get around to buying a new OS I'll have leapfrogged two versions.
Seems like what I wind up doing, when I get a new PC every so many years.

Win 95 PC -> Win 98 SE PC -> Win XP PC -> Win 7 PC.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #17 on: Friday, June 10, 2011, 04:36:55 PM »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, June 11, 2011, 06:17:39 AM »
*Sigh*  No, and I like the Xbox, and XBL.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, June 11, 2011, 08:32:19 AM »
I guess this should have been expected since it's built right into Windows Phone 7, and Windows 8 just seems like an evolution of that interface.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, June 11, 2011, 08:38:22 AM »
An OS should just be that, an operating system.  Applications should be layered on that, not ever be part of the OS.  I don't know what MS is doing here.  If they're simply bundling XBL with Win8, that's fine.  If they're embedding XBL into the core of the OS, that's bullshit.  How does their phone OS do it?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, June 11, 2011, 09:30:36 AM »
An OS should just be that, an operating system.  Applications should be layered on that, not ever be part of the OS.  I don't know what MS is doing here.  If they're simply bundling XBL with Win8, that's fine.  If they're embedding XBL into the core of the OS, that's bullshit.  How does their phone OS do it?
On WP7 it functions as an app but it is effectively embedded (just like the Marketplace) since they both rely on the Live ID that the phone is linked to.

Personally, I would have preferred it if each part of the phone was isolated and I can choose which Live ID I want to use with each individual part (considering the bullshit I'm still going through with my broken Live ID). As it stands, if you want to change the Live ID that is logged in to XBOX Live or Marketplace you have to reset the phone; in mobile device terms "reset" means format. Microsoft have been [sarcasm]considerate enough[/sarcasm] to only allow you to backup media items like photos, videos, and music. Text messages? Goodbye. E-mails and contacts? Synced online only. Apps and games? You have to remember (or make a note of) and re-download everything. Kind of a shit deal overall. My reason for having doubts in Windows 8 is based on how certain basic necessities were completely neglected in WP7.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, June 11, 2011, 09:54:42 AM »
And it's exactly that bullshit you describe which has me quite wary of this push to have everything stored on the "cloud".  XBL is supposed to be going in that direction starting with the Fall update.  I'm sure it will be an option at first.  Later, who knows.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, October 13, 2011, 03:29:30 PM »
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/10/13/the-windows-8-task-manager.aspx

I like this.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/10/11/reflecting-on-your-comments-on-the-start-screen.aspx

This one I'm not so sure on.

Regardless of the results, I really enjoy reading these blog posts and seeing how and why they come up with these changes.