Author Topic: Ebook Readers  (Read 3158 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Ebook Readers
« on: Sunday, June 05, 2011, 06:50:10 PM »
I'm buying one.  Which?  I was going to go Kindle because the Kindle 3 had very good reviews on release and seemed like the obvious choice.  BUT Amazon is retarded, and a $139.99 device on Amazon.com is $199.99 on Amazon.ca...strong dollar and all.  Oh, and Amazon.com doesn't ship to Canada.

So, any advice?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Ebook Readers
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, June 05, 2011, 07:54:32 PM »
Weird.  The Canadian dollar is worth more than a U.S. dollar.  Crazy since ten years ago $1 USD was close to $1.50 CAN.

As far as your question, unfortunately I can't give you much advice.  I gave 2nd generation Kindles to Jennie and my sister last year and they both really like it.  My brother has a 3rd generation Kindle and he likes it too.  I have no experience with any other eBook reader nor do I know anyone who has one.  I've tried the Kindle app and iBooks on the iPad and all I really determined there is that the iPad is not a very good eBook reader due to its weight and backlit screen.  I imagine it would be the same for the Xoom and other tablets.

So yeah, basically Kindle=good, tablets=bad, others=?
« Last Edit: Sunday, June 05, 2011, 11:18:21 PM by scottws »

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Monday, June 06, 2011, 02:26:19 PM »
Kindle and Kobo seem to be the only options in Canada and the Kobo seems to have a pretty weak selection. I've been on the fence about getting a Kindle for about a year now, just can't bring myself to pull the trigger.

Are you sure about the $199 price though? I've had it in my amazon.com cart for $139 and gotten all the way to entering my credit card information and didn't receive the usual this product is not available in your area when you try to buy electronics.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, June 07, 2011, 01:09:54 AM »
I like Kindle
Taken.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, June 07, 2011, 05:10:46 PM »
Kindle and Kobo seem to be the only options in Canada and the Kobo seems to have a pretty weak selection. I've been on the fence about getting a Kindle for about a year now, just can't bring myself to pull the trigger.

Are you sure about the $199 price though? I've had it in my amazon.com cart for $139 and gotten all the way to entering my credit card information and didn't receive the usual this product is not available in your area when you try to buy electronics.

99% positive.  Amazon.com won't ship to Canada (unless something has changed in the last few months).  But if you go to Amazon.ca, it's priced at $199.99 ... and has about a million negative reviews because of this.  Strange, because Amazon.ca has a banner ad for $129, which directs to Amazon.com

As for selection, I thought Kobo supported more formats?  Or is the Amazon format the main one for books?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, June 07, 2011, 05:16:31 PM »
0% positive: Amazon.com will ship Kindles to Canada now.  Whacked.  The mistake probably came from browsing on my phone and jumping to conclusions.  Either way, thanks for pointing that out for me.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, June 07, 2011, 06:09:01 PM »
I'm pretty sure that Kobo supports the ePub standard which is supposed to be more open and the one that libraries are using to lend out ebooks. All I know is that last time I was at a Chapter's store, I looked up a bunch of books for Kobo and they weren't available. To be honest I haven't really done much research on it because I'm pretty comfortable with Amazon and unless anything big happens I'll be blindly buying a Kindle.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, June 07, 2011, 06:25:26 PM »
So I just gave in and bought the 3G version with the case. There was a $60 import fee deposit that I wasn't ready for. I've gotten hit with duty a few times buying electronics from the states but usually nothing happens. Hopefully I get that money back.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, June 07, 2011, 07:09:51 PM »
Import fee deposit?  What's the deal with that?  If you owe duty on something, it usually gets held up delivery side and you need to pay it before you can actually get the item.  It shouldn't have anything to do with Amazon.

Let me know what you think, although the more I look into it, the more I'm still on the fence.  New touch readers coming out and shit.  I'd like to see what the reaction to those is.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, June 07, 2011, 10:04:06 PM »
It depends. Some services now take care of it for you. For example deliveries from the US to Canada for electronics will usually entail a customs tax, XOTICPC informed me of that and gave me the option to go with regular ground delivery and pay $200 which will go to the Canadian gov't or go with UPS and by-pass customs fees for $75. It varies depending on the shipping service.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, June 12, 2011, 01:13:16 AM »
Well, either way, I hope you didn't go ground delivery right now.

I ended up caving and buying a Kobo Touch as it just came out yesterday so it seemed like great timing.  Honestly, I like it a lot.

It ended up being about the same price as the Kindle 3, except I could use a couple of Chapters gift cards I had so I ended up paying under $100 on a gift visa for the Kobo and a book-type leather case. 

The thing has a great feel to it.  It has that soft, rubbery fabric coating on it, perfect thickness and weight, and the back has this sweet quilted padding that's really comfortable.  The leather case is really more for protection, but it's comfortable as well.

It's actually probably snappier than any other e-reader I tried out (haven't tried the new Kindle, but apparently they're on par), which was a concern when looking at the older model.  It also sports the E-Ink Pearl screen that debuted with the Kindle 3 and ships on pretty much all new e-readers. Contrast is much better than any offering from last year as a result.  I guess older touch E-Readers were all resistive, and the digitizer layer really added to the gloss and degraded the screen quality.  The new Kobo and Nooks got around this by creating an infrared grid over the screen that reads the x and y coordinates of your touch when you break the plane.  The upside is that it's pretty responsive (well, for a electronic ink screen) AND the screen is just pure E-Ink Pearl clarity and contrast (and no glare).

The above were basically the reasons I bought it, rather than the touch interface, although I now see that it's really a good thing.  It just makes navigating, selecting items from menus, and such a whole lot less clunky.  I imagine it's a lot better for highlighting/selecting words as well.  Although this does bring me to my main problem here:  The highlighting/notes and dictionary functions are only available on books you purchase from the store. I don't know if it's a current software oversite, a method of DRM, or something else, but it's kind of a pain.  Well, not that specifically but the same goes for syncing between different devices.  IE, books between my E-Reader and my Kobo App on my phone will be synced, and progress, notes or whatever sync as well.  BUT only on books bought from the Kobo store. Other books have to be manually loaded on each and devices won't keep track of progress on other devices.  A bit of a disappointment, but syncing seems to work that way for all the major players, and not all of them even allow you to sideload without having to go through a third party converter first, so I'm happy I don't have to do that.  As for the selection issue brought up earlier, apparently Kobo has a far larger selection...in Canada. Deals have to be made regionally, Kobo is a Canadian company and has a much better relationship with the Canadian publishers (you know, distribution agreements and such) or Canadian branches of international publishers. That and it supports a wider selection of formats out of the box without having to convert.  Yet, I'd be surprised if there was anything mainstream that you couldn't get on Amazon.ca or if you can't just buy ebooks from Amazon.com.  Plus, if the thing's been released digitally, I'm sure we could all figure out how to get it regardless of restrictions.

Overall, it seems pretty sweet.  It came with a $10 credit, which I used with an online coupon code to buy the Song of Ice and Fire boxed set (If I'm going to want to sync anything, it'd probably be four big ass books in one).  I haven't spent all that much time with it, but I'm impressed with both the technology and the design.  I'm just worried that it might be easy to lose your progress and have a hard time finding out where you left off.  You can save multiple bookmarks, and the default bookmark updates every time you leave the book (or maybe every page turn), but with the boxed set all the chapters seem to be repeating character names, so it comes down to "Was I on the first Bran or the third Bran?".  And it also seems to display the page I'm on out of the chapter or book section page count rather than the total (and Song of Ice and Fire is one big, big file).  Also not sure on how it would deal with things like jumping to the appendix and then jumping back (but the touch slider is a great way to jump around a book/chapter).

I'm going to look into work around for some of my problems a bit more as I'd love to be able to sync (I don't imagine it's possible) and make notes in some reference books I may acquire (I figure that's probably possible).  Either way, I like it a lot.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 04:45:47 PM »
Glad you're liking yours. I couldn't be happier with my Kindle so it looks like you can't really go wrong. It's like the first time I got an MP3 player and my music listening habits suddenly changed.

I've only bought books from the official store so I don't know if Kindle has any similar problems with taking notes. There's so many free books around that it'll be a while before I actually purchased anything. Just finished Treasure Island, not sure what exactly to move onto next but probably another classic to keep costs down.  I can't speak to the bookmarking issues either. All I know is that whenever I turn on my Kindle and open Treasure Island it opens to the exact same page I left off from. I haven't delved into chapters or multiple books yet. Speaking of pages, I was a bit surprised to see the percentage complete indicator and progress bar instead of page numbers. I suppose it makes sense since there pages don't really exist anymore but it's still a bit odd to not have it. The progress bar creates the illusion of thickness which helps quite a bit but it doesn't give you the same tangible feel that a real book does. The advantages of an e-reader are high enough that it's in no way a dealbreaker, it'll just take some getting used to.

Is the Kobo case a sleeve or does it make it more like a book? The case I bought for the Kindle makes it feel like a hardcover book but without the weight which actually makes it much more comfortable to hold.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #12 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 11:34:39 PM »
Hey gpw how's the screen on the Kobo?  Any ghosting or residual text after page turns?  How's the page turning performance as well?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 02:11:08 AM »
Glad you're liking yours. I couldn't be happier with my Kindle so it looks like you can't really go wrong. It's like the first time I got an MP3 player and my music listening habits suddenly changed.

I've only bought books from the official store so I don't know if Kindle has any similar problems with taking notes. There's so many free books around that it'll be a while before I actually purchased anything. Just finished Treasure Island, not sure what exactly to move onto next but probably another classic to keep costs down.  I can't speak to the bookmarking issues either. All I know is that whenever I turn on my Kindle and open Treasure Island it opens to the exact same page I left off from. I haven't delved into chapters or multiple books yet. Speaking of pages, I was a bit surprised to see the percentage complete indicator and progress bar instead of page numbers. I suppose it makes sense since there pages don't really exist anymore but it's still a bit odd to not have it. The progress bar creates the illusion of thickness which helps quite a bit but it doesn't give you the same tangible feel that a real book does. The advantages of an e-reader are high enough that it's in no way a dealbreaker, it'll just take some getting used to.

Is the Kobo case a sleeve or does it make it more like a book? The case I bought for the Kindle makes it feel like a hardcover book but without the weight which actually makes it much more comfortable to hold.

It's a case kind of like an agenda cover:    Makes it easier to hold for sure and protects it, although I do really like the finish of the actual unit so I will pull it out from time to time.  And I hear you on the progress bar, although the Kobo does still do a page count as well when you're actually in the book.  It's just that it doesn't really matter because you can format the fonts/font size, so there's no absolute.  Another strange thing being that books bought or downloaded from the store to the unit have a page count broken up by chapter, while epubs downloaded from elsewhere and sideloaded from a pc have the book total.  Weird.    As for the bookmark syncing between devices, that seems to have sorted itself out.  I opened the app on my phone today and it led me right to the last page I read (obviously only works if you're in wireless range when you last closed down your e-reader.).  But yeah, so far, my only real complaint is the lack of being able to highlight or use the dictionary in books that are sideloaded...which I guess is their form of drm to a point. It seems that there are a lot of requests for them to remove this limitation, so I could see it happening in a firmware update.  Maybe.

Hey gpw how's the screen on the Kobo?  Any ghosting or residual text after page turns?  How's the page turning performance as well?

The screen is good.  It uses the same E-ink Pearl screen as the new Nook, Kindle, and the Sony readers.  Unlike the Kindle, however, you do currently get a bit of residual text after a turn for now.  With both the Nook and the Kobo they tried to cut down on the full screen page refreshes (where the entire screen flashes...arguably abrasively) as it seemed to be a common complaint with e-readers in general.  They managed to do so by caching page turns where you only get a full screen refresh every 6 or so pages, and the other ones just sort of fade into each other.  The downside is that you do get a tiny bit of residual text building up over those five pages.  It's not much and I don't know if I would have noticed it if I didn't learn about it first, but it is there.  It has been addressed though, with Kobo announcing that they will add the option for full screen refreshing every on every turn in their next firmware update.  But the page turning performance is really good.  It reacts to swipes and taps along the side of the screen, although I've found it registers the taps slightly better.  But there's virtually no delay, which is pretty awesome.   You should head over to a Chapters/Indigo.  They should have some on display that you can play around with.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 09:14:29 AM »
Cool, I might pick one up in a month or two.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, June 29, 2011, 12:36:35 AM »
Okay, they've had two firmware updates since that last post.  The first allows you to set the interval before a full page refresh.  As I said before, the partial refreshes don't cause the jarring flash of the screen but can lease to font deterioration and ghosting between full flashes.  Your options are now for a full page refresh every turn (Kindle), every sixth page (New Nook) or anywhere inbetween.

And they just did another update allowing for more fonts and page set up options.  There are now 9 fonts pre-loaded, but you can load any additional ones onto the device through your pc.  There are also now more size options, line spacing options, justification and margin options.  This (and the setup of the previous page setup screen) was the major complaint in reviews, and it's now been really fleshed out. You can now format your books however you want, really.

Finally, they've commented on the lack of highlighting/notes/dictionary for sideloaded books, and it appears it was a software limitation stemming from the fact that they use two different programs to read the files.  Books loaded through their app (and bought through their store) are read by their software because it's a custom file type.  Those have full dictionary/etc support.  All other epub/mobi/etc. files are read by some Adobe software, and while the front end for the user is identical on the device, it has limitations (or licensing issues) preventing them from implementing this feature at the moment. Or so they say.  It does make sense, though....I guess. Hopefully it will be resolved soon as I actually use the dictionary more and more now.