Author Topic: Advertisers lie? The horror!  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Advertisers lie? The horror!
« on: Saturday, July 30, 2011, 08:28:48 AM »
Best laugh I've had in a while.  Great lampoon of a story without winners.  Everyone involved should be ashamed.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Advertisers lie? The horror!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, July 30, 2011, 09:00:28 AM »
heh, that was good.

Though it did make me think. We know people are airbrushed and photoshopped in ads and magazine covers all the time. But when its a beauty product, couldn't that be considered a form of false advertisement?

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, July 30, 2011, 09:16:03 AM »
heh, that was good.

Though it did make me think. We know people are airbrushed and photoshopped in ads and magazine covers all the time. But when its a beauty product, couldn't that be considered a form of false advertisement?

I was thinking about this the other day. How many of these 40-50 year old women you see in beauty product ads (esp anti-aging products) have had plastic surgery to reverse the effects of aging? Wouldn't that be false advertisement?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, July 30, 2011, 12:19:17 PM »
Yeah, it's all false advertising.  But don't we know that already?  Does anyone really believe that some cream is going to make Susan Boyle look like Julia Roberts?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, July 30, 2011, 12:28:22 PM »
How do you think these companies have the money to put up eight bajillion advertisements? Because people believe (or hope) and buy the product.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, July 30, 2011, 12:51:54 PM »
I can see believing (or wanting to believe) that same cream will make your skin smoother.  I don't see anyone seriously expecting a magical transformation, or a cartoon rabbit to pop out of a box of Trix.

Most commercials for TVs are false advertising too.  The image you see on the advertised sets is always simulated.  Same goes for smartphones and PC monitors.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, July 30, 2011, 02:37:02 PM »
Hence why nearly all of them have disclaimers saying so. Advertising is inherently deceptive... it always has been and always will be. But that doesn't mean there aren't stupid people who believe it. Nobody thinks the Trix rabbit is going to pop out of a box of cereal because General Mills doesn't claim that will happen. People do expect (or, again, delude themselves into hoping for) magical transformations. It's what drives almost anything cosmetic, from makeup to skin cream to weight loss supplements.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, July 30, 2011, 11:39:50 PM »
Wait, the UN?  WHAT THE FUCK??