Author Topic: Double Fine starts up Kickstarter funding for adventure game  (Read 8031 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Double Fine starts up Kickstarter funding for adventure game
« on: Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 07:16:45 PM »
Neato

Give $15 and you get the completed game on Steam, and get to watch documentary footage of the development and play beta versions. You can also give more and get more stuff.

No word on what the game will be like other than a point and click adventure. They estimate it will be released in October.

Wow. They have 30 days to reach a goal of $400,000. Its at about $5,000 now and goes up by $1k every time I refresh the page.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Double Fine starts up Kickstarter funding for adventure game
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, February 09, 2012, 12:31:18 AM »
I might be all over that. Let me check my finances since I've been a bit of a spendthrift this month.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, February 09, 2012, 06:37:03 AM »
Well, it looks like a done deal already. That was fast and probably says something about the industry if you want to think about it much.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, February 09, 2012, 07:52:05 AM »
Crap!  Overshot the goal by about 40% with over a month to spare.  If the messages are an indication of the timeline, they did this in 0.5/33 or one 66th the time they allotted for it?!   A bunch of people gave a lot of money too.  After Minecraft, it doesn't surprise me too much.  But that project involved an actual product you could enjoy.  This project is just vaporware at this point.  Wow.  I think I need to crowd-source my life.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, February 09, 2012, 07:54:09 AM »
Yeah, this stuff is becoming huge. Not necessarily viable for everyone, but for bigger companies with a fan following? You bet.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, February 09, 2012, 10:02:06 AM »
RPS has some thoughts on this phenomenon.

Its coming up on $700,000 now. With 33 days left to go.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, February 09, 2012, 10:33:51 AM »
You know, funny thing about that article, I remember Gabe Newell saying something similar along those lines of
And developers even more so should be sitting up and noticing that if their product appears worthwhile, people will want to fund it, without the developer having to sacrifice their money, creativity and even the possibility of the entire product to a publisher.
And everyone thought he was crazy.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, February 09, 2012, 10:55:40 AM »
Kickstarter tweeted:

Double Fine Adventure has broken Kickstarter records for most funds raised in 24 hrs & highest number of backers

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, February 09, 2012, 01:30:26 PM »
A few publishers and producers must be shaking in their boots right about now.

Edit:
UPDATE: We did it! 100% funded in just over eight hours. You people are amazing! But it's not over yet. The number keeps going up and now the question is just how much news do we want to make with this? We're getting a lot of attention already and it seems like this little project could have an impact beyond itself.

No kidding.  Trembling, I tell you.  $859K and counting . . .

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, February 09, 2012, 01:57:02 PM »
Well as RPS noted it wouldn't would for everyone. This is blowing up because its Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert wanting to make a point-and-click adventure. That just hits all the right nostalgia notes for lots of people.

But for the right companies planning the right projects, this is going to be a big deal. Could fans fund a Shenmue 3? Think about it, Sega.

EDIT

Yeah pyro, I remember that. Kind of funny they didn't try it first. But Gabes numbers were pretty unrealistic. $30million? I don't think you'd ever get that. And as I said above, its really going to depend on whos asking for money. Valve, EA, Activision, etc? They are big enough to get their own funding without asking the fans. Double Fine is in a perfect position to take advantage of this model that other companies (both bigger and smaller) aren't.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, February 09, 2012, 02:23:13 PM »
Some interesting ideas are already popping up. What if this model wasn't just to find a games development, but perhaps to fund translations and bringing games over from other countries? I'd throw some money at a Yakuza: Kenzan! localization.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, February 09, 2012, 04:27:14 PM »
Who says Tim doesn't have a sense of humor?

$955k! Guys, I'll make you a deal. If we hit $980k I'll add RTS elements to the game! And if we hit $1M, I'll take them back out!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, February 09, 2012, 04:39:16 PM »
Haha. I love that guy, I really do.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, February 09, 2012, 04:59:47 PM »
$1,000,000 in 24 hours - Achievement Unlocked

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, February 09, 2012, 06:42:42 PM »
*Clack!*  And USA Today hears it.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, February 09, 2012, 07:11:55 PM »
I hope the big publishers start thinking they can get away with this. That just sorta taints the whole deal. What this is really about (hopefully) is a neglected fanbase standing up and saying they're big enough to get a game made for them with a very modest budget.

If Activision turns around and says, "Hey, you like Call of Duty? Why don't you fund the next game so we can make it for you!" I'm sorry. It just won't work that way.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, February 09, 2012, 08:04:59 PM »

But for the right companies planning the right projects, this is going to be a big deal. Could fans fund a Shenmue 3? Think about it, Sega.

I think the interesting concept here is that now there's actually infrastructure for fans to not only do this, but also potentially show developers that certain projects could indeed be cost effective. I remember the late 90's/early 2000's when tons of were clamouring for companies to release certain games/ports whatever.  Some that pop into my mind are SEGA fans and NiGHTS, Shining Force III (all scenarios), and Shenmue.  In all three of these cases the only real avenues were carpet bombing letters/emails and/or online petitions.  Neither made a huge impact because (I remember from an announcement from one executive or creator) these weren't actually indicative of fan demand and especially potential sales.  The investment was just as risky as if there had been no campaign at all because anyone could fire off a hundred letters under different names, fill our an online petition multiple times, or just do either with no intention of ever spending a dollar. 

Now, however, there are ways to gauge fan reaction and propensity to pay. Even for a big company like SEGA.  Start up something on a site like Kickstarter and say "WE'll pump out Shenmue 3 if we get XXX preorders). Throw the price in at whatever and the deadline and if they hit it, they know that there's a demand there.  If not, people get their money back and can't really complain. 

More often than not, I don't think it'd really pan out - but the few times it did would probably be pretty sweet.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, February 09, 2012, 08:43:57 PM »
SQUARE. ALL YOUR GAMES SUCK. PUT SEIKEN DENSETSU 3 ON IOS! TAKE MY MONEY!

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, February 09, 2012, 11:23:49 PM »
I hope the big publishers start thinking they can get away with this. That just sorta taints the whole deal. What this is really about (hopefully) is a neglected fanbase standing up and saying they're big enough to get a game made for them with a very modest budget.

If Activision turns around and says, "Hey, you like Call of Duty? Why don't you fund the next game so we can make it for you!" I'm sorry. It just won't work that way.

It depends on what they're offering in return.  If you get a complete game plus extra goodies for, say, half the price the retail box would go for after completion, it might be a good deal, if the developer is trustworthy and delivers what is promised.  I can see this working as investment.  It will never work as charity.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, February 09, 2012, 11:51:51 PM »
I really think it would work great for companies to judge whether to translate a game. If Sega put up a kickstarter for Yakuza Kenzan I would drop $60 straight up for it (as long as I get a copy). If it meets their goal then the game comes over and everyone is happy. If not then no one loses anything other than hope.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, February 11, 2012, 08:29:55 AM »
Obsidian is looking at Kickstarter as an option, as well.
This also caused some traffic problems yesterday on their website and forums, once they made this post. :P

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2012, 06:52:32 PM »
UPDATE

Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android! Voice acting! Subtitles in English, French, Italian, German and Spanish! And, my favorite, DRM-free option at launch! Hell yeah! Now I think I have to kick some money their way.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2012, 09:20:03 PM »
That is sexy news! I love it when stunts like this work out so well and spit in the eye of DRM and oppressive publishers.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #25 on: Friday, February 24, 2012, 11:22:51 PM »
New rewards

$30 - documentary soundtrack
$60 - PDF Art book
$100 - Physical box copy, with DVD or Bluray of documentary
$500 - Physical art book

As an extra treat, about a month before the Kickstarter project, Tim and Ron talked about adventure games for a half hour. You know you want to watch this.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #26 on: Friday, March 09, 2012, 12:30:45 PM »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #27 on: Friday, March 09, 2012, 02:02:20 PM »
Haha hilarious ;D

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #28 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 11:55:46 AM »
If you missed out on the Kickstarter, Double Fine is now allowing for Slacker Backers. There is only one tier, $15 gets you the game DRM free, Steam key, beta access, HD documentary streaming, and access to the backer forum. Plus you can pay with Paypal in case that was an issue before.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #29 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 12:12:43 PM »
Damn, I wish there were more payment options. PayPal recently started rejecting my card due to "region issues."

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #30 on: Saturday, May 12, 2012, 04:10:22 PM »
A little cross posting.  (I really should have posted this here to begin with.)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #31 on: Saturday, May 19, 2012, 11:11:03 PM »
The documentary is great. Just watched episode 2 and need to check the backer forum for more "side" videos. Its a really interesting look at game development. Totally worth $15 all on its own, and then you get a free game at the end :P

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, July 02, 2013, 10:46:50 PM »
Guess this can sit in its own thread here, so bump time!

Well there have been some...developments. Game is still trucking along but they have been running into money and scheduling issues. Basically Tim went nuts designing the game and overshot. You can read about it here. Unfortunately, that letter from Tim was for backers and some writer looking for a scoop leaked it. If you've been watching the documentary all along this is all just sort of known information and something they have been working on.

So TLDR version is Broken Age is going to have a split release. The first part (which i guess is Act 1 and 2, sorta) will come out in January. It will be on Steams Early Access thing, so backers will get it first-first and then it will be up for sale to everyone else. The extra money that brings in will help them finish the last part of the game, which will then be a free update to the game a few months later.

I guess that's as good a solution as can be had. Either that or they need to cut back on the games scope quite a bit. Tim has been pretty adamant that they don't want to go to a publisher or run another KS to get more funds to finish the game. So I hope this works out for them.

As a backer, the only thing that bothers me is the Steam bit. i knew early beta access was always going to be on Steam because its easier for them to control. That's cool, I didn't want to play beta versions anyway. But with this new release plan the game is essentially Steam exclusive for a few months until part 2 is complete. Now, I will probably want to wait to play the whole experience at once anyway, but I still don't really like this sort of thing. Remember how Shadowrun Returns "drm-free" shit turned out. I don't want to see a repeat of that.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, July 03, 2013, 06:19:08 AM »
$3 million plus, and still not enough for a few guys who already work as a team to come up with a point-and-click game?  I admit I haven't read or watched any explanations.  This is just a gut reaction.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, July 03, 2013, 08:58:17 AM »
I've said it before and I will say it again.

Americans are just too nice and too trusting. Actually, people from first world nations are in general too nice and trusting, and very easy in giving the benefit of the doubt.

The budget was 400,000. They got a lot more money than that, and they've turned it into a BAD thing. They really fucked up, and too many people are making excuses for them.

It is a big fuck up.

Here is a perfect response in that link Idol posted. One of the few normal ones:

"Remember when you gave us a shitload of money? Well we planned poorly and now we need more money! It's still cool if we just give you the first half of the game right? We'll figure out the second half later..."

Fuck that."

People should be letting Tim have it. He should have completed the game in 400,000. The extra, he could have used to polish the game. The fact that he overshot is HIS fault. He needs to complete the game on his own budget. Now he says the total budget is 10 mil? Wtf?

I bet publishers are looking at this bewildered. Had it been EA's kickstarter people would have torn them into bits.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, July 03, 2013, 09:18:11 AM »
$400,000 he would have designed a completely different game. But you're right, still being over budget is his fault with the design no matter what the final budget ended up being.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, July 03, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
While I am a fan of Tim Schaeffer (and Ron Gilbert) I do agree with Pug. Tim fucked up, big time. Whatever they decide they need to make amends; let's not forget this is a project that was almost entirely funded by the generosity of others.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, July 03, 2013, 09:28:38 AM »
It is just highly unprofessional.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, July 03, 2013, 12:45:07 PM »
I really don't think this is a big of a deal as some people are making it. Yes, they fucked up by not having the game out on time, yes it sucks that they are breaking it up in two parts, but they are still delivering the same product they promised they would.  Backers will still get the full game and if you have been watching the behind the scenes documentary you will see Schafer being as transparent as he can be about this whole mess, which is something he should be applauded for, since most game companies would never be this transparent about their budgeting and development process.  I'm not saying he gets some kind of free pass without criticism, but he is at least being as open as possible about the whole thing.

I'm a backer and I'm glad I'm going to be getting a larger game than I was expecting and I really don't mind waiting to play until the whole thing is done.  The only thing that kind of sucks is that they are doing the early release stuff on Steam and not everyone wants to use Steam.  Hopefully they release the first part DRM free to backers since the full game was going to have a DRM free release and there are people who specifically back game projects that do a release that way.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, July 03, 2013, 01:44:20 PM »
I don't think people are reacting enough. It is a little outrageous.

Here are some quotes from Kotaku readers that seem appropriate:

So, to make sure I'm understanding this correctly, despite raising almost ten times the amount requested on Kickstarter, and having a Humble Bundle recently with Broken Age as a BTA item, more funds still need to be raised??? I know, I know, game development is expensive, blah blah blah blah blah.... but.... really? Does anyone have an ounce of faith in the successful completion of Massive Chalice based on this? Again, all risks considered, they probably raised 10 times the amount of money projected to create this game..... and yet.... need more money. Wow. After getting some heat for going to Kickstarter for another game with Massive Chalice, I'd like to think that there will be a bit more hesitation from backers now that a game that shattered Kickstarter records is coming back for more money through Steam. I want to believe there's a way this isn't a colossal mismanagement of money, but man.