Author Topic: Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together for PSP  (Read 2736 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together for PSP
« on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 03:11:35 PM »
Probably the best SRPG I've ever played. Found a cheap used copy and I'm so glad I bit. I rarely ever pick up my PSP anymore but there've been a few games I've wanted to try and so I drug it out of its box... I forgot how much I enjoy playing games on it. It really is one of my favorite handhelds and has a lot of really fun games on it. I don't care for the Vita so much.

Anyway, this is amazing. Think FFT:TWOTL without all the headaches. It's much easier to understand, has some awesome features (like your classes leveling instead of just your characters, making it easier when you get new recruits—though individuals still earn points they can spend on unique skills), has an undo system that makes things much less frustrating for those who just aren't as hardcore about it all (and believe me, just because you can take back moves doesn't mean OMG INSTANT VICTORY"—I've still repeatedly lost every single battle I felt the need to undo moves on, and eventually had to give up or try a new battle party), and the localization is excellent. There's tons of backstory, lots of encyclopaedic content, and you even gradually unlock pieces in a music gallery which has short descriptions and background information from the composers and arrangers. It screams quality and attention to detail, and is so much more stable and understandable than FFT. There are a lot of similarities as well, but this feels far and away to be the better game.

I haven't been playing games much at all over the last... really long time now, I guess, but this one has me coming back every day for just a while at least. It's really something, and I highly recommend to any fan of SRPGs. Ostensibly it's a remake of the original, I guess, but I read that it's less a remake and more of a bigger, better thing in all regards.

Anyway, just wanted to post something about it since I never hard jack shit about it and it's probably not going to be super-popular. Which is a shame. This is one of the best games I've played in a long while.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together for PSP
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 04:43:09 PM »
I just like the "Let Us Cling Together" subtitle.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 11:07:44 PM »
I really should pick this up sometime.  Its been on my radar but I haven't got around to getting it yet.  I remember playing a little bit of the original Tactics Ogre at a friends place one time and kind of liking it but never did grab it at that point either.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 11:20:02 PM »
I'm digging it a lot. Story has been ramping up nicely, liking the characters.

It's also got a pretty amazingly detailed help system and a separate guide on the various game elements. Pretty rare that a package feels this all-inclusive. Some reviewers are sad that the multiplayer is sort of an afterthought, but honestly, who the fuck plays multiplayer PSP games anymore?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, August 02, 2012, 12:07:47 AM »
I wasn't really big on the tactics games but I loved Jeanne d'Arc on PSP. Perhaps I'll Tactics Ogre a whirl!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, August 02, 2012, 12:32:15 AM »
That was one of my favorites. This is a lot deeper and bigger than Jean, much closer to FFT, but without a lot of the shit that drags FFT down. Definitely worth a look if, like me, there hasn't been much in the genre to grab your interest for a while.