Author Topic: WiiU: Nov 18th, $299/$349, Bayonetta 2 exclusive  (Read 10321 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
WiiU: Nov 18th, $299/$349, Bayonetta 2 exclusive
« on: Thursday, September 13, 2012, 09:58:53 AM »
News is making the rounds. Launch date is Nov 18th for North America and will have 2 packages:

Basic includes a white WiiU, the controller (obviously), 8GB of internal storage space. $299
Deluxe includes a all the same but a black WiiU, 32GB of internal storage, and a copy of Nintendo Land. $349

And yeah, as the topic says they showed Bayonetta 2 and say its exclusive to WiiU. I don't think it will come to other platforms later either since it appears Nintendo is actually publishing it. Weird, I know.

They also showed some other stuff. Monster Hunter 3G, which I think is the first "HD" Monster Hunter to release in the US. Also heard its cross compatible with the 3DS version so thats kinda cool.

Not going to be getting one right away obviously, but add in Pikmin 3 and I'll probably get one eventually.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: WiiU: Nov 18th, $299/$349, Bayonetta 2 exclusive
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, September 13, 2012, 02:06:29 PM »
That's very weird. And sucks about Bayonetta 2. I have no plans to buy any more Nintendo products (or really just about anything other than food) for the foreseeable future.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, September 13, 2012, 02:56:53 PM »
Since the Gamecube I was always sure I'd buy Nintendo console if I knew a Metroid game was coming. After the Wii's many failings and especially Other M I can't get behind this thing at all. Even if they were promoting a new Metroid they'd probably fuck it up with some stupid integration with the tablet and then fuck it up further by letting the idiots by somehow continuing what they started with Other M.

Yeah, after two years I'm still pissed about that game.

But yeah, that is strange about Bayonetta 2. I imagine they're doing this to make some sort of statement about how they not only intend to cater to core gamers but will support stuff outside of their well-worn territory. Still, it's a strange game to show that off on considering Bayonetta wasn't really the biggest game and, from what I heard, no one really wanted to touch the sequel which is why Nintendo was able to pick it up. What's also strange is there's no real major first party stuff here, not even something on the level of Wave Race or Luigi's Mansion. If they really wanted to impress gamers they should have shown like a real honest to goodness Nintendo game in HD and with modern trappings. I suppose that would have taken some developement work though and Nintendo gave that up a few years ago.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, September 13, 2012, 03:45:27 PM »
This is the first full-blown Nintendo console that I have no desire to get.  Sad times.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, September 13, 2012, 03:57:07 PM »
Honestly, I'm not even sure what this thing is.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, September 13, 2012, 04:34:26 PM »
Will Nintendo defy us yet again and make a product that sells killer?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, September 13, 2012, 05:26:59 PM »
My question is - when is Nintendo going to be the next Sega?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, September 13, 2012, 07:16:47 PM »
I'm with Cobra.  This is the first Nintendo console I have zero interest in.  It's kind of sad.

But what is there to look forward to, really?  All the good games on Wii came out really early.  I haven't even bothered having ours hooked up for the last couple of years.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Friday, September 14, 2012, 06:08:02 AM »
Mine is hooked up, but I couldn't tell you if it still works.  I haven't turned it on in over a year.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Friday, September 14, 2012, 10:13:05 AM »
Haha, I heard a little about the TVii thing but didn't know any specifics. Its awesomely low tech yet still kinda cool.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Friday, October 12, 2012, 12:29:57 AM »
The more I think about this console the more I think it's really going to suck. It's kind of a shame.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Friday, October 12, 2012, 06:42:07 AM »
The greatest shame is that it feeds pricks like this one.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 07:55:46 AM »
Kotaku -> EA's Games will REQUIRE Origin on the Nintendo WiiU.

As IGN reports, recent changes to the EA privacy policy indicate that a login to the service will be required for Wii U games. Specifically, one section reads, "If you sign up to play EA games through a Nintendo Wii U console, your Nintendo account information will be provided to EA so that we can establish an Origin Account for you. You need an Origin Account to play EA's titles online."

Owners of PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of games like Mass Effect 3, and users of mobile apps and games like the Mass Effect 3 Datapad or The Simpsons: Tapped Out, already associate an Origin ID with their EA console games in order to play online.

Three games from EA are already confirmed to be released in the Wii U's initial "launch window:" Mass Effect 3, Madden 13, and FIFA 13.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 09:07:35 AM »
The greatest shame is that it feeds pricks like this one.

Huh? That's weird. Isn't that what people were saying about the PC? I guess it a cycle. They'll say it about anything that isn't at its peak.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 10:06:30 AM »
Ubisoft (Uplay) and Rockstar (Rockstar Social Club)have been doing something like that for ages. Until now, EA used to tie your game profile to your EA account as an "identity," it's only a logical to have them switch it to Origin; it's essentially a namesake more than anything else. Instead of your EA ID being tied to your PSN/gamertag/whatever it's just tied to an Origin account now (which is the EA ID now).

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 11:47:09 AM »
Its weird that its even a news story, like its some kind of Wii U specific "flaw". EA has been doing this across all platforms so of course they will continue to do it on Wii U.

This just in: Valves next game will require Steam.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 03:40:08 PM »
Because it worked out so well on the PS3.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, November 01, 2012, 11:26:19 PM »

Shit, Nintendo...we lost you.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: Friday, November 02, 2012, 10:33:49 AM »
The name sounds just as horrible spoken out loud as it looks printed.

So, from that video, I guess half to most of the time you'll be looking at the little screen between your hands?  Why not make a bigger 3DS and avoid the big screen altogether?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, November 03, 2012, 12:36:32 AM »
The name sounds just as horrible spoken out loud as it looks printed.

So, from that video, I guess half to most of the time you'll be looking at the little screen between your hands?  Why not make a bigger 3DS and avoid the big screen altogether?

You know, I was thinking the same thing.  I don't know why anyone is so pumped about this (I mean, few people seem to be, but I really don't know why anyone would be super excited).

I'm guessing they may end up going mobile only eventually.  They did well with the Wii, selling a shit ton of units, but I don't think they're going to be getting a lot of repeat sales.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, November 08, 2012, 10:44:51 AM »

This sort of needs to be seen. At least stick it out for the first 90 seconds.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Re: WiiU: Nov 18th, $299/$349, Bayonetta 2 exclusive
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, November 08, 2012, 01:04:47 PM »
I don't really know why I watched that...apart from all the weird Japanese stuff and the awesome gloves

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, November 08, 2012, 01:29:24 PM »
I didn't care much about the WiiU but something just occurred to me; while I wouldn't consider it now, the conditions of other next-gen consoles may change my mind. For example if my alternatives were a bunch of online-only, digital-only, locked-down boxes of doom I may just grab a WiiU instead.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, November 08, 2012, 03:32:39 PM »
Heh, it's a bit funnier if you understand some of the Japanese.

I have no interest in the Wii U.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, November 08, 2012, 11:20:57 PM »
I didn't care much about the WiiU but something just occurred to me; while I wouldn't consider it now, the conditions of other next-gen consoles may change my mind. For example if my alternatives were a bunch of online-only, digital-only, locked-down boxes of doom I may just grab a WiiU instead.

I've thought of this, and you're right.  If  Sony and MS fuck up their consoles with that kind of control-freak horseshit, the choice becomes way easy.  At this point, I'm thinking with the backlog I have, I won't be getting a new console until at least a year after they come out.  Plenty of time for the dust to settle.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: Friday, February 08, 2013, 05:21:31 PM »
So, apparently UbiSoft decided to release Rayman Legends on the PS3 and 360 as well.  Who cares, right? Well, they also decided to make all three versions a simultaneous release, meaning that the WiiU version is getting pushed back from next week or something until September.   Like, it's finished and was about to ship. 

The most telling thing about this seems to be the fan reaction: Outrage. I guess there's now a giant hole in the release schedule until the next first party game comes out.  I mean, it's early, but it kind of looks like the WiiU is going to have the same drought every Nintendo console has had since the SNES.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #26 on: Friday, February 08, 2013, 05:47:16 PM »
I think the WiiU might just be the last console Nintendo makes.  Their future is in making games for Microsoft and Sony consoles.  It's clear that they are doing whatever they want to do as always but that doesn't seem to match what consumers want, at least in the U.S. market.  They are basically releasing a current-generation console many years too late.  The fact that both Sony and Microsoft are making or have made announcements regarding the successors to their consoles so soon after the WiiU's release has to be a crushing blow to interest in the WiiU.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, February 09, 2013, 06:40:14 AM »
So, apparently UbiSoft decided to release Rayman Legends on the PS3 and 360 as well.  Who cares, right? Well, they also decided to make all three versions a simultaneous release, meaning that the WiiU version is getting pushed back from next week or something until September.   Like, it's finished and was about to ship. 

The most telling thing about this seems to be the fan reaction: Outrage. I guess there's now a giant hole in the release schedule until the next first party game comes out.  I mean, it's early, but it kind of looks like the WiiU is going to have the same drought every Nintendo console has had since the SNES.

It's a shitty thing to do.  Why not release it now for the WiiU?  It wouldn't affect the other consoles, unless the game is poor.  It would make sense in that case.  Get as many sales as possible across the board before everyone gets wise.

The console itself has a dim future, as far as I can tell.  So disappointing.  I would love to see it carve a place for itself, and force MS and Sony to be good to their user bases to keep from losing market share.  The way it's going, no one will care.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, February 09, 2013, 10:32:06 AM »
It's coming off as a niche market console, that aside from the fact that its moniker is borrowed from its predecessor. While that's not a first it reinforces the notion that it can't stand on its own. I wasn't surprised that a lot of people here actually assumed it was an add-on to the Wii or that you had to have a Wii in order to use it.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, February 09, 2013, 01:36:22 PM »
It's a shitty thing to do.  Why not release it now for the WiiU?  It wouldn't affect the other consoles, unless the game is poor.  It would make sense in that case.  Get as many sales as possible across the board before everyone gets wise.

I was thinking that, and apparently the game is awesome - the best 2d platformer in recent years from what people who have played the demo/levels at shows are saying. I guess it still makes sense in that if any game breaking problems arise they wouldn't tarnish the reputation before the release on the other two consoles, but that just seems dumb.

The only thing I can think of is that they just want to make one big marketing push for all three versions at once, which kind of makes sense, as long as you look at it with the preconceived notion in mind that they really don't give a fuck about the WiiU sales and are almost willing to write those off. Delaying is only going to hurt sales on that platform, and if their risk analysis determined that doing so was worth saving some marketing dollars then that's not saying anything good about how they view the potential of the WiiU market.

And they're probably right. The thing that WiiU owners have been saying/screaming/joking about is that the game is going to get killed in the christmas rush now.  It's competing against GTA V on the PS3/360 now!  Aaaaand Wind Waker HD on the WiiU.  That's the funny part.  Wind Waker HD is going to be the Christmas killer app from what they can see right now and Rayman is going to be fucked because it'll be going up against it.  The 10 year old remaster that pretty much everyone who owns a WiiU has played because I imagine the demographic who bought into one without owning a Gamecube previously is tiny.  I'm sure it'll be great, but it's kind of a sad state of affairs for these WiiU owners. 

It really is a shame because Cobra is right - Nintendo needs to be there as a viable third option and the closer they are to a mainstream competitor rather than a supplementary or niche one, the better. Sadly, it just seems like they're getting further and further removed from where I want them to be. 

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #30 on: Friday, March 22, 2013, 08:45:49 PM »
So, um Gamefaqs has like seven games listed for release before November

Nintendo kind of needs to pull out  all the stops here.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #31 on: Friday, March 22, 2013, 09:15:48 PM »
Yeah they better have some games at E3 or its not going to be good.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: Saturday, March 23, 2013, 02:54:39 AM »
Honestly, I think it's probably a wash.  Historically, it makes sense for consoles to launch with lighter libraries: market isn't there, it takes time to develop, developers are struggling with new hardware so there's a longer turnaround time,  whatever, but that usually means that there's a lighter library of games and not as many good games as there would be in the later years of the console's lifespan....not that there are virtually no games at all.

I remember people saying the same thing about the PS3 and it actually had a shitload more games in the first 12 months....just not a shitload of games that were must have.  But, nevertheless, a shitload more than a 7 month period with 7 games listed to be released. And as it is, the PS3 turned out to be awesome and (strangely) most people I know who owns one will probably eventually buy a PS4, just because there is so much value there.  I rarely play games on it, my friends rarely do, but those who own it all use it a hell of a lot as a central media unit. Considering the PS4 is using (I guess?) more standardized and off the shelve hardware, I imagine Sony could manage to capitalize upon that in order to make it actually profitable to sell systems themselves through a combination of the lack of expensive R&D, cheaper component parts, and licensing fees for those who do buy a lot of games.  Microsoft very much stands to do the same for a simple reason: Both have satisfied customer bases. Nintendo, for the most part, doesn't really have that...and hasn't for the last few generations.

Nintendo is great at making games, but since the n64 they really haven't done a good job of creating the image of their consoles as the one to own. I don't know anyone who owned a gamecube without owning another system.  I can't really remember anyone who really liked videogames not eventually buying a playstation in addition to the n64, and I can't think of anyone who was a gamer who just owned a Wii (which is a huge missed opportunity by Nintendo since EVERYONE has pretty much owned a Wii at some point). And the thing is that there just weren't any games for any of those systems apart from the sporadic Nintendo releases and the very very occasional 3rd party must have (exclusive or multi-platform).

At this point, Nintendo has basically been branded as a supplementary console, and that's slightly dangerous for them, because publishers just probably aren't going to focus on their hardware because of it...why bother when you hit 90% exposure to the market with Sony, Microsoft, and the PC? It'll be a hard rut to get out of.  And fair enough, they're doing well as a company; it's not something that's going to kill them tomorrow - they have more cash in the bank than most and are positioned very well.  If Sega was sitting as comfortably as Nintendo is when they released the Dreamcast they'd still be making hardware.  The Doom and Gloom (capitalization is the shit) articles are just hit bait for that reason: Nintendo isn't going anywhere soon....but they also have a huge problem in that there's now an entire generation of kids who never had a Nintendo console which wasn't a wasteland of mediocre games (or few games), Publishers who don't think their ecosystem is worth investing in, and a mobile gaming market which is slowly and definitely getting chipped away at by devices that everyone already owns anyways.

Nintendo isn't leaving the business anytime soon, which is good for two reasons:  1.) We need them, and 2.) It's Nintendo's only business. But, they really have to do SOMETHING*  because they very well could find themselves in a position they can't come back from. Not today, maybe not this decade, but they're a slow moving ship and they have to alter course ASAP or else it's not going to be avoidable...eventually**.

*That something may be stopping the piracy protection on the 3ds. Flashcarts fucking sold the DS

**I should clarify that by "position they can't come back from",  I don't mean the death of Nintendo, just the exit from the hardware market due to lack of profitability.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #33 on: Saturday, March 23, 2013, 03:56:27 AM »
That's essentially what happened to Sega. Despite the critical popularity of the Dreamcast, financially it wasn't enough to sustain their presence in the hardware industry.

Sega seems to be doing better as a software publisher rather than a hardware developer, adding eclectic titles under their brand from a wide variety of creative studios. Mind you, Sega is still active in the arcade hardware industry, though that industry as a whole is teetering on the brink of oblivion.

Nintendo really needs to bust a move in order to stay competitive and continue on the path of hardware manufacturing.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: Saturday, March 23, 2013, 04:24:52 AM »
One difference is that Nintendo can afford to chase their own unique vision longterm.  Last I heard, their cash reserve is a trillion yen, or about $22 billion US.  (Mind-boggling.)  They didn't get there by throwing good money after bad, though.  They're not going to prop up the Wii U artificially for very long.  But the only real chance it has is a unique selection of first-party games, the Nintendo classic magic.  Third parties are not interested, with good reason.  The system's technology is way outdated, and the real next gen is around the corner.  And Nintendo is lost when it comes to online infrastructure.

Edit:  Make that $10 billion.  (Still mind-boggling.)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, April 17, 2013, 05:36:55 PM »
One difference is that Nintendo can afford to chase their own unique vision longterm.  Last I heard, their cash reserve is a trillion yen, or about $22 billion US.  (Mind-boggling.)  They didn't get there by throwing good money after bad, though.  They're not going to prop up the Wii U artificially for very long.  But the only real chance it has is a unique selection of first-party games, the Nintendo classic magic.  Third parties are not interested, with good reason.  The system's technology is way outdated, and the real next gen is around the corner.  And Nintendo is lost when it comes to online infrastructure.

Edit:  Make that $10 billion.  (Still mind-boggling.)

There's a new Nintendo Direct and it's focused pretty much exclusively on the 3ds.  It seems strange, but it's like they're actually not even trying to prop the WiiU up.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, April 17, 2013, 06:04:24 PM »
Wonder if they've already given up on it.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 10:15:59 PM »
They announced some games at their E3 Nintendo Direct.

-Smash Brothers.   I never saw the appeal of these games, but I do understand that my opinion is out side of the norm here.  Megaman!

-Mario Kart.  I think everyone knew this was coming

-DKC Jungle Freeze.  I know nothing about this.

-X.  I think this is the name of the game from Monolith Soft.  It does look pretty cool, I guess.  They have a cool landscape design style, those guys.  Apart from that mechs and dinosaurs and stuff.  Fans love it.

-Goddamn Super Mario 3D World.  I hate it.  I mean, I don't hate it, but I liked what they were doing with 2d Mario games as 2D Mario games.  I can't help but feel that this might be the "new" direction for Mario games...which is a huge disappointment.  I'd much rather see a single player focused game again like 64 or Galaxy.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: Friday, April 04, 2014, 08:55:49 PM »
I was thinking about buying a Wii U because you can get a refurbished Delux model for about $200 even directly from Nintendo.  Seems like a great deal.

And then the Mario Kart news hit and I looked at it.  Strangely, this news that has people pumped, as well as my recent experiences with a few Nintendo games, just turned me right off. 

All the news was "NOW MARIO KART IS IN HD!!" Which is great, because Nintendo needed to make that jump.  But at the same time, it just kind of made me realize that's the only draw for the Wii U:  Nintendo Games are now in HD.  The last few Mario Kart games I've played have done less to draw me in, I couldn't give a shit about Smash Bros, and (as you were talking about in the other thread) Zelda is getting pretty formulaic.  Actually, ALL of Nintendo's games are pretty formulaic now.    It's by no means a BAD thing, that's what people like about Nintendo - you know you're getting quality games for franchises you love...but they just seem to do it in a way that kind of bores me.

I played something like four Ratchet and Clank games back to back and didn't get bored.   I played the PS3 games (Crack in Time  and then Into the Nexus, followed up by the HD Classic Trilogy) and although all very similar, each game had slightly different game-play elements that kept me entertained.  It was fun going back and seeing the formula evolve.  It was entertaining seeing where the weapons would go and then starting all over again with a new game, etc. 

I don't really get that with Nintendo games.  With Zelda, I know that I'll be getting some new weapons, but I essentially know what they'll be and I essentially know exactly how that formula breaks down in that I'll use them heavily for a dungeon and then very very rarely.  From game to game the only real change (apart from layout and art style) seems to be how you travel through the big ass world and what control scheme will be used - something I don't really want to do and something that just takes away from the game in most cases. 

Mario, well, Nintendo seems to be going away from the 3d Mario formula, but by doing so they're going into even safer territory and focusing on four player co-op 2.5d type games.  Which is alright, but not what I want from Nintendo in a Mario game.

And that's the thing - it's a console where the main benefits will be the games you know are coming from Nintendo, but more and more they really don't appeal to me, and the company is so far behind everyone else with regards to the trends of the industry/what people want that I have trouble believing they'll come out with anything refreshing anytime soon. 

It's kinda sad.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: Saturday, April 05, 2014, 05:03:14 AM »
Really sad.  Your post makes a lot of sense to me.  Mario used to be the evolving leader in platforming, and now it has retreated into safe 2D territory, and with unwelcome emphasis on multiplayer to boot.  You can't put out games like Mario 64 and the Galaxy games, and then go back to 16-bit platformers with modern-hardware looks.  Formulaic or not, I still like Zelda and hope to see new entries.  But they're only giving us a polished up Wind Waker.  Love the game, but been there done that.  Not buying it again (or a whole new system to play it either).  I've pretty much given up on Nintendo at this point.