Author Topic: Star Citizen (Chris Roberts developed space sim) currently being Kickstarted  (Read 3278 times)

Offline PyroMenace

Star Citizen (Chris Roberts developed space sim) currently being Kickstarted
« on: Thursday, November 08, 2012, 01:32:25 PM »
It's currently at 1 million right now, passed its goal of $500,000.

The ambitions of this game sound a bit crazy and the delivery date is estimated at November of 2014. Basically its going to be a old school space sim/shooter thats going to be developed for PC with an emphasis on utilizing the higher end tech that PCs can bring. Its even going to have support for Occulus Rift. Its really awesome to have something like this come to kickstarter as that genre of game is dead. There's been some indie stuff thats been made but this is will be the first one in a long time to have a lot of production and scope. I also really like that its not going to be some MMO thing, its multiplayer notes of having 4 player coop which is what I would like. Anyway, I'm not expecting it to blow my mind just yet, but I will admit its promises do make me a bit excited and I feel a game like this should happen so I plan to back it before the final days are up. Please be awesome!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Star Citizen (Chris Roberts developed space sim) currently being Kickstarted
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, November 08, 2012, 03:20:07 PM »
That sounds pretty fantastic!

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Star Citizen (Chris Roberts developed space sim) currently being Kickstarted
« Reply #2 on: Monday, November 19, 2012, 07:47:10 AM »
Well it's got 4 hours to go and the kickstarter is just short of 2 million. Chris Roberts is also pushing another donation drive on his site which actually has much more donated to it with a combined total of 5.7 million. Crazy.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Monday, November 19, 2012, 12:47:25 PM »
Holy crap. This crowdsource thing is really getting nuts.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, November 24, 2012, 07:55:38 AM »
Definitely glad to see more space-sims come up from the dead - especially from someone like Chris Roberts! Great news! :D
I still wish Freelancer 2 actually came to fruition.
But, my God - THIS (Star Citizen) looks AWESOME.

I haven't played SOL: Exodus (which is like $2.49 on Steam and Gamersgate), but I should give the demo a shot - and see if it'll be worth that).
Of course, I'm always curious as to what the heck EgoSoft is going to do w/ their X Rebirth. Love those EgoSoft X games.
Now, if only we can Volition to get the license to do a Freespace 3 or some sort of spiritual successor...

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2013, 05:54:51 AM »
Star Citizen is looking incredible and will supposedly have full Oculus Rift support as well.

The sales packages give you some variety depending on how involved or committed you want to be. Definitely worth checking out but I'd love to actually try it out before I take the plunge.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2013, 09:04:32 AM »
That looks fantastic. I'll likely wait to see just what's included and how much in line with my own likes and dislikes this is, but it certainly has promise. I prefer open-world stuff to mission-based stuff, so it's an interesting approach... but I'm not big on playing online unless it's the kind of thing where I can really sequester myself and treat it like a single-player game just wish the added bonuses that come from a "living" universe of some sort. So we'll see. Either way, got my eye on it.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, August 22, 2013, 03:43:53 PM »
I'm really really lucky my pc sucks now because I would have thrown so much money at this game. Some of those ships sound so cool
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #8 on: Thursday, January 01, 2015, 11:07:13 PM »
Alright, this is getting stupid now.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Friday, January 02, 2015, 12:30:14 AM »
Are we sure this isn't Frog Fractions 2?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, March 14, 2015, 06:54:15 PM »
Star Citizen will be over 100 GB in size + patches will be anywhere from 2-20 GB, according to a developer.

The game compression and asset removal is unlikely to yield such high gains that we will be able to reduce our client size to 30-40gb.
The size and number of assets that are left to deliver means that our client size is much more likely to be 100gb.

Also, yes we are optimizing game patching for speed and to only deliver diffs, but this is unlikely to reduce actual patch size. Again, each patch has 100s of assets, each of these assets are at times 200mb, this leads to 2-6gb patches, and if we end up doing a file type re-factor and have to re-download 30-40% of the assets on the hard-drive, then the patch will be 14-20gb.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #11 on: Saturday, March 14, 2015, 07:32:57 PM »
Holy fuck this game is getting out of control.